ImageImageImageImage

Zucker: Gortat "very disappointed" that Magic matched offer

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Re: Zucker: Gortat "very disappointed" that Magic matched offer 

Post#41 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Hilltop wrote:Some players play for the money, some are content riding the tails of a winning squad. Gortat is actually getting both. He is getting paid money close to that of Shawn Marion and Ron Artest, and he gets a chance to win a championship this early in his career. Sure he won't get his big minutes yet, but he is young and he's still got a long career ahead of him. The time will come for that.

he is not so young...
THIS IS THE TIME...if he wants to mean something in the NBA
magicfan1989
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#42 » by magicfan1989 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Does anybody have any sympathy for a guy making 6 million dollars a year?

Marcin, you worked hard for that money and deserve it............now if you want real minutes you gotta work hard and deserve the minutes you get
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#43 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:30 pm

MinnyMo wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Why be disappointed?

How many chances does a player have of EARNING a ring or the oppurtunity to get one. Lots of HOFers finished their careers without getting one.

Gortat should be stoked that in his relatively young basketball career he can contribute and get one. Later on, he can try to be the man to lead his team in getting one.

Yea, he's making the money, but imagine your self in his shoes, how would you like to sit on the bench for 30+ minutes an entire season, when you know, that you can be a starter and contribute like such. Apparently the guy just wants to play, and how can you blame him, he is still young and if he is forever in Dwights shadow, thats all his legacy will be, "That guy who backed up Dwight". Winning a championship is nice, but players like to see how good they can become and carve out there own part of basketball history, this only hinders his development.

Don't blame him for that. That's what made him earn his pay day - his work ethic.

But at the same time he's making almost 10x (9.71 using an average for his new contract) as much as he made before.

That can buy a lot of Pirogies! Or he can pimp another ride to even more ridiculously levels ;-)
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Post#44 » by Jiwol » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:49 pm

Horcy wrote:Gortat needs to shut up and play his best. He is an employee of the Magic and he signed the team option.
There are millions of persons dying of hunger in the world. He will earn about 6/7 millions per season. He will be one of the richest men in Poland. I understand him, but I don't really care.
Marcin, don't hear your agent please, shut up and work.

Otis needs to take care of our business.

Horcy, you're famous!!! Here's an excerpt from an article in polish paper:

"Gortat powinien się zamknąć i grać jak najlepiej. Jest zatrudniony w Magic i podpisał kontrakt" - dodaje Horcy na forum Orlando, na stronie RealGM.

The article is called "Magic fans ouraged after Gortat's remarks". http://www.sport.pl/sport/1,65025,6819382,Fani_Orlando_Magic_oburzeni_wypowiedziami_Gortata.html
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#45 » by Devin 1L » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:03 pm

AfricanSensation wrote:You guys are funny with the people are losing jobs so he should shut up BS.

When players chose money you complain, when they try the easy way to a title you complain, now aguy says I don't care if I may get 6mil a year in Disneyworld and get an easy title, I love the game and I want to be the best NBA player I can be and play big minutes for a good team but no he is a rich player and he should just shut up and do whatever owners want?

I would like to see your reaction if your boss sends you to a city you don't want to be in for a role worse than what you could get elsewhere, I doubt you will be like hey, at least I have food better than people in Darfour....

He worked his entire life to be an NBA starting Center and the Magic GM just took that away from him so of course he is disapointed. He is not saying that he won't show up to camp or anything but allow a guy to express is displeasure for a moment. Jeez.

Wait, did this boss give me a chance in this company when I wasn't well known or particularly good at my job, and then give me an astronomical raise in salary to be in this city that I don't want to be in?

The only reason why he is "stuck" here is because we're the team that gave him his shot, and thus we got the right of first refusal, which is entirely appropriate as teams take risks on players a lot and lose out. Here, you're rewarded for taking and helping develop a player you thought would pay off.

Besides, if Gortat gets some legit range and consistent jumper, I don't know that starting is necessarily out of the picture, or at least an upgrade in minutes per game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Gortat. He has every right to wish to be in the best possible position for himself, but that's how it goes. I hope this is just agent talk and that Gortat doesn't have any hard feelings, and just sucks it up and goes out there and earns his paycheck. His big paycheck.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#46 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Jiwol wrote:
Horcy wrote:Gortat needs to shut up and play his best. He is an employee of the Magic and he signed the team option.
There are millions of persons dying of hunger in the world. He will earn about 6/7 millions per season. He will be one of the richest men in Poland. I understand him, but I don't really care.

"Gortat powinien się zamknąć i grać jak najlepiej. Jest zatrudniony w Magic i podpisał kontrakt" - dodaje Horcy na forum Orlando, na stronie RealGM.

The article is called "Magic fans ouraged after Gortat's remarks". http://www.sport.pl/sport/1,65025,6819382,Fani_Orlando_Magic_oburzeni_wypowiedziami_Gortata.html

aj aj aj aj aj aj (or is it aja aja aja? It's been too long)
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#47 » by Hilltop » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:05 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:
Hilltop wrote:Some players play for the money, some are content riding the tails of a winning squad. Gortat is actually getting both. He is getting paid money close to that of Shawn Marion and Ron Artest, and he gets a chance to win a championship this early in his career. Sure he won't get his big minutes yet, but he is young and he's still got a long career ahead of him. The time will come for that.

he is not so young...

Really? 25 isn't that old to me. If he can remain injury free, then I don't see why he can't have a long career ahead still. It's not as if the Magic are that sadistic to latch on to him just to make him play 12 minutes behind Dwight Howard for the rest of his career. He'll be traded soon enough, Otis is just waiting for the right time. By that time he'll still have his best years ahead of him.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#48 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:06 pm

Hilltop wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:

he is not so young...

Really? 25 isn't that old to me. If he can remain injury free, then I don't see why he can't have a long career ahead still. Besides, it's not as if the Magic are sadistic enough to latch on to him just to make him play 12 minutes behind Dwight Howard for the rest of his career. He'll be traded soon enough, Otis is just waiting for the right time.

So it's not like what they were doing to Darko?
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Hilltop » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:09 pm

Doubt it, lol.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#50 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Hilltop wrote:Doubt it, lol.

Because back then management was maliciously holding him back so that they wouldn't have to pay that much later on.

Or atleast that's what the Darkoholics asserted.
orlandomike
Starter
And1: 53

Post#51 » by orlandomike » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:42 pm

the other risk is he might fall on his ass playing 35 minutes a game and get increasingly sloppy. who knows. i get the idea of starting but if you can get close to starter money and play agaisnt the other teams backups for 10 minutes a game, i dont get what the confusion is.
My 2 cents is worth 5 cents.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Hilltop » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:08 pm

Devin 1L wrote:
AfricanSensation wrote:You guys are funny with the people are losing jobs so he should shut up BS.

When players chose money you complain, when they try the easy way to a title you complain, now aguy says I don't care if I may get 6mil a year in Disneyworld and get an easy title, I love the game and I want to be the best NBA player I can be and play big minutes for a good team but no he is a rich player and he should just shut up and do whatever owners want?

I would like to see your reaction if your boss sends you to a city you don't want to be in for a role worse than what you could get elsewhere, I doubt you will be like hey, at least I have food better than people in Darfour....

He worked his entire life to be an NBA starting Center and the Magic GM just took that away from him so of course he is disapointed. He is not saying that he won't show up to camp or anything but allow a guy to express is displeasure for a moment. Jeez.

Wait, did this boss give me a chance in this company when I wasn't well known or particularly good at my job, and then give me an astronomical raise in salary to be in this city that I don't want to be in?

The only reason why he is "stuck" here is because we're the team that gave him his shot, and thus we got the right of first refusal, which is entirely appropriate as teams take risks on players a lot and lose out. Here, you're rewarded for taking and helping develop a player you thought would pay off.

Besides, if Gortat gets some legit range and consistent jumper, I don't know that starting is necessarily out of the picture, or at least an upgrade in minutes per game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on Gortat. He has every right to wish to be in the best possible position for himself, but that's how it goes. I hope this is just agent talk and that Gortat doesn't have any hard feelings, and just sucks it up and goes out there and earns his paycheck. His big paycheck.

Bingo
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#53 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:10 pm

With him being BYC it is nearly impossible to trade him until next summer. Let's hope he turns the other cheek and goes all out.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Hilltop » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:15 pm

mhectorgato wrote:
Hilltop wrote:Doubt it, lol.

Because back then management was maliciously holding him back so that they wouldn't have to pay that much later on.

Or atleast that's what the Darkoholics asserted.

:lol:
Furinkazan
General Manager

Post#55 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:23 pm

Hilltop wrote:
~Snoopy~ wrote:

he is not so young...

Really? 25 isn't that old to me. If he can remain injury free, then I don't see why he can't have a long career ahead still. It's not as if the Magic are that sadistic to latch on to him just to make him play 12 minutes behind Dwight Howard for the rest of his career. He'll be traded soon enough, Otis is just waiting for the right time. By that time he'll still have his best years ahead of him.

25 is pretty old and its Gortat who admit it as I remember what he said few months ago.
Furinkazan
General Manager

Post#56 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:27 pm

Whatever Im not Gortats attorney
but some of you just sound like
STFO and collect your pay check
And cant stop thinking Jerome James woudnt mind that:D but Gortat does...:D
maybe you guys wanted Jerome instead
Realmavsman
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#57 » by Realmavsman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:36 pm

I can see why Gortat is disappointed with staying in Orlando. Some of you fans don't give a crap about him as anything other than a chip to get something else.
deithven
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#58 » by deithven » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:10 pm

According to polish site Gortat is not "disappointed" and that were words of his Agent only. He denied words of his agent.

http://www.sport.pl/koszykowka/1,65086,6820669,Gortat__Nie_mowilem__ze_jestem_rozczarowany.html

BTW about famous REALGM forum from that article :D

http://www.sport.pl/sport/1,65025,6819382,Fani_Orlando_Magic_oburzeni_wypowiedziami_Gortata.html

It looks someone from that Polish newspapper is reading REALGM forum all the time :)

Show yourself !! (for that Polish journalist :P )
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#59 » by AdamTheGreek » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:15 pm

Jiwol wrote:

:rofl: That's hilarious.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#60 » by Gerhalt11 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Realmavsman wrote:I can see why Gortat is disappointed with staying in Orlando. Some of you fans don't give a crap about him as anything other than a chip to get something else.

Are we supposed to feel bad about not wanting a key asset to walk away for nothing? Sorry, I didn't realize the Mavs front office was a "players first, team second" organization. Explains a lot, actually.

Return to Orlando Magic