ImageImageImageImage

Watson Update (UPDATE ON PAGE 7)

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Re: Watson Update 

Post#31 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:56 pm

BYC doesn't matter when the trade is for a TPE.
NW
Starter
And1: 349

Post#32 » by NW » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:59 pm

Update from a Warriors beatwriter

Restricted free agent point guard C.J. Watson says he wants to play for the Orlando Magic. But the only way that's going to happen is if the Warriors and Magic can work out a sign-and-trade.

Why? Because the Magic are out of money.

Orlando has used up all of its mid-level exception on free agent forwards Brandon Bass and Matt Barnes, and it does not have its bi-annual exception, either.

The Magic were said to be considering extending an offer sheet to Watson last week before signing Barnes, but according to a league source Orlando was convinced the Warriors would match their offer.

Also complicating the issue is that Watson already may have a multi-year contract offer in front of him -- for three years, $4.5 million -- from the Warriors, according to the source.

Watson, who averaged 9.5 points per game in 77 games last season, rejected a one-year, $2.3 million offer sheet from the Philadelphia 76ers, according to various reports.

The best offer the Magic could make for Watson at this point is a salary starting at $825,497, which is the minimum salary for a player with two years experience. But Watson is currently sitting with a qualifying offer from the Warriors for 2009-10 for $1.05 million.

"I want to play with Orlando," Watson told RealGM.com. "With the four All-Stars and (coach) Stan (Van Gundy). ... I would play more and get to contribute. Stan is a much more active coach on the sideline too and I feel like I could learn a lot from him. They also run a lot of pick and roll and I like that."

The Warriors have 14 players under contract, not including Watson. The Warriors already have guards Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry, Acie Law, Speedy Claxton, Marco Belinelli and Anthony Morrow on their roster.

Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#33 » by Horcy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:52 pm

Some cash + a pick would be fair. I wish they take it.

WE WANT CJ!!!

Philly is also looking to add Tinsley. I wish they can and let Watson come to the magic.

This guy definitely wants to come here, PLEASE OTIS, MAKE THE LAST EFFORT!!
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#34 » by damo[23] » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:59 pm

One last stroke of Magic Otis ... well for a few months.

I wonder what would go on if we did a sign and trade. Something good here would cap a brilliant off season, but I won't be sad if we just get a back up PG, Otis has added depth, and good depth, at nearly every position between the last two off seasons', if we can get a decent back up PG to help AJ out, or even start taking over duties ... great, if its Watson ... brilliant.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,714

Post#35 » by Viper1500 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:04 pm

I'd like to say ill be happy with whatever we get, but the truth is I won't. Whenever you get your hopes up for something and it doesn't work out, you'll be disappointed. Kind of like last night when I went to get the last slice of pizza but to only find an empty box of crumbs.
zerp
Rookie
And1: 36

Post#36 » by zerp » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Horcy wrote:Some cash + a pick would be fair. I wish they take it.

WE WANT CJ!!!

Philly is also looking to add Tinsley. I wish they can and let Watson come to the magic.

This guy definitely wants to come here, PLEASE OTIS, MAKE THE LAST EFFORT!!

+1
Go MAGIC
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,087

Post#37 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:14 pm

I was glad to see this, it makes sense:

The Magic were said to be considering extending an offer sheet to Watson last week before signing Barnes, but according to a league source Orlando was convinced the Warriors would match their offer.

It makes sense that the Warriors would not want to give away an asset, and it makes sense that Orlando would not want to make a lowball offer that would be matched, which would in effect not only prevent them from getting the player they want, but also tie up that money for seven days.

As much as it doesn't do the fans any good, I could see the Warriors maybe biting on a sign and trade, where nothing really comes back to the Warriors except some marginal, conditional, future benefit, if there were a sizable cash payment on the side.

The max any team can give in straight cash in a trade is $3 mil, and that money doesn't effect the cap or tax numbers of either team in any way, it just goes from one pocket to the other.

In terms of a straight trade "for a portion of your big TPE" (that's not exactly how it works but for simplicity's sake it's ok to think of it that way), there is not much benefit there for the Warriors... in such a scenario, the Warriors would indeed see a new TPE created for their benefit, with one year in which to use it. But they have seen big and small TPE's come and go without using them, and have their full MLE and BAE available for use in signing FAs.

Where a trade "for a TPE" would make sense is in shedding an undesired salary from the Warriors... but in order to shed C.J.'s salary, all they have to do is not match any offer he gets, and they're free to tell the world, in advance, they won't match, if what they really want out of this is to save money that would otherwise go to C.J.'s salary.

The bottom line though, I truly believe, is that the Warriors - despite their abundance of guards - see real value in having C.J. on the roster, as long as he has a moderate salary. If any team offered C.J. a bigger salary, say 3 years, $9 mil, it's very likely that they would not match.

But for a small salary, under $2 mil per, again they like his game and use him plenty, so of course they're going to keep him around.

The bottom line is that the Warriors will ultimately have to be outbid, or receive something of real value to let him go. Those things could be $3 mil cash (possibly - that would make our owner feel good but is not exactly a fan rallying cry), a future, protected first round pick, or a player that has equal value to the Warriors - someone like Ryan Anderson, or someone else's backup PF in a three-way trade.

Otherwise, most likely scenario is Warriors match, or C.J. plays for his QO and becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer.

However it works out is fine with me, I'm happy to have C.J. back with the Warriors, or he can go elsewhere - as long as the Warriors don't just let him go for nothing, just like you would not want your guys to go for nothing.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,087

Post#38 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:25 pm

BTW, the Warriors standing, multi-year offer on the table for C.J. pretty well demonstrates that they're more than ready and willing to keep him around, as long as he's not paid too much.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,050

Post#39 » by dsg2021 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:23 am

I think Twinkie is right, but no Anderson.
Magic.City.23.
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#40 » by Magic.City.23. » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:52 am

Yeah, Twinkie pretty much covered it all.
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#41 » by Versubio » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:00 am

Yeah, there is no way the Magic are giving up Anderson for CJ Watson. Acquiring him cost them Courtney Lee.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#42 » by The Effect » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:42 am

problem is, we dont have much to give them in terms of players. I mean they have enough guards so they dont need JJ, and we dont have enough wing players to start sending some out

I mean i would of loved a jj+2nd rounder for Watson, but i doubt they would even consider that
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#43 » by Neon1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:01 am

Its NOT that serious......If they arent signing and trading him (for anything withing good reason) then im sure Otis will simply move the hell on.

All we need is 18 mins a game behind Nelson, and that someone should be CHEAP and CAPABLE to start if need be (Meer injury).

No need to waste all summer on this, If CJ is no dice, Take a look at Arroyo, Jamaal Tinsley, Russell Robinson or even Marcus or Jason Williams....sign one and go to the Bahamas.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#44 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:06 am

Neon1 wrote:Its NOT that serious......If they arent signing and trading him (for anything withing good reason) then im sure Otis will simply move the hell on.

All we need is 18 mins a game behind Nelson, and that someone should be CHEAP and CAPABLE to start if need be (Meer injury).

No need to waste all summer on this, If CJ is no dice, Take a look at Arroyo, Jamaal Tinsley, Russell Robinson or even Marcus or Jason Williams....sign one and go to the Bahamas.

Exactly. If not Watson then Otis will simply move on and find another cheap option, its no biggie. All the hard work is mostly done.

BTW who is Marcus?
aka: prorl
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,578

Post#45 » by DiplomaticMagic » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:08 am

prorl wrote:
Neon1 wrote:Its NOT that serious......If they arent signing and trading him (for anything withing good reason) then im sure Otis will simply move the hell on.

Exactly. If not Watson then Otis will simply move on and find another cheap option, its no biggie. All the hard work is mostly done.

BTW who is Marcus?

Marcus Williams, point guard who played for the Nets was traded to the Warriors for a first round pick. Went to UCONN.
Trade for Jarret Allen
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#46 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:11 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:
prorl wrote:

BTW who is Marcus?

Marcus Williams, point guard who played for the Nets was traded to the Warriors for a first round pick. Went to UCONN.

Ahhh ok thank you. Had no idea he was a FA.
aka: prorl
Neon1
RealGM

Post#47 » by Neon1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:12 am

prorl wrote:

BTW who is Marcus?

Former 1st round, UCONN/NETS/WARRIORS PG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAaS8lX-aJs
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#48 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:08 am

Yes, one of those two would be nice to get.
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#49 » by Versubio » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:24 am

BTW who is Marcus?[/quote]

Marcus Williams, point guard who played for the Nets was traded to the Warriors for a first round pick. Went to UCONN.[/quote]

Ahhh ok thank you. Had no idea he was a FA.[/quote]

He played for Quebradillas in the Puerto Rican league this year and looked great.
Neon1
RealGM

Post#50 » by Neon1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:34 am

Versubio wrote: Marcus Williams, point guard who played for the Nets was traded to the Warriors for a first round pick. Went to UCONN.

He played for Quebradillas in the Puerto Rican league this year and looked great.

Marcus is a good player ONLY IF you allow him to dominate the ball. He cant play off ball for crap since he isnt even close to being a consistant shooter.

If you let him play with the ball in his hands (ala Hedo) he will make things happen and rack up assists by the truckload.

Negatives:
Work Ethic/Professionalism
Conditioning (tends to get a lil fat)
Outside shooting
Slow
Bad Defender

Pros:
Great Passing
OK rebounder
Still very young
Some championship pedigree

Return to Orlando Magic