ImageImageImageImage

55 for Brandon Jennings

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Sugar Cane
Senior
And1: 1

Re: 55 for Brandon Jennings 

Post#21 » by Sugar Cane » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:26 am

I loved this kid out of HS and am happy to see this from him so early. He told everyone that he was the best pg in the draft this summer and even I thought he was stupid for declaring that. Minnesota and NY...SMMFH at you both.
B-League Fantasy Draft:

PG. Rajon Rondo/Mike Conley/Patty Mills
SG. Demar Derozan/Brandon Roy/Bradley Beal/Jodie Meeks
SF. Kawhi Leonard/Terrence Jones/Jae Crowder
PF. Tristan Thompson/Jared Sullinger/Tyler Hansbrough
C. JaVale McGee/DeAndre Jordan
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#22 » by EasternMagic » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:42 am

Brandon was my preseason pick for Rookie of the year..prove me right pal
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,013

Post#23 » by drsd » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:03 am

Jennings slid in the draft because his J was so suspect in Italy (below 40% shooter).

For Milwaukee, Jennings is at a respectable 46%. And as for the long J, a perceive major weakness, here he is also at 46%; amazing!

I am not a stat guy though. The 55 points tells me he is a ball hog. For me, as he is the PG, another stat matters more: 5-2. Jennings is leading Milwaukee to wins!

This kid is starting to remind me of AI. He is a volume scorer and is a me-first PG that somehow plays to win. A lot of player can score 20 ppg in the NBA. Not a lot of players could be leading Milwaukee to a winning record (let's not forget that Redd an Bogut are injured in this 5-2 start!). Whatever this kid is doing is working!

This kid has also already learned NBA arrogance. Example in an interview from Sporting News:
SN: Ultimately, if you guys are going to be a good team, a playoff team, you’re going to need big contributions from Andrew Bogut and Michael Redd. Both of those guys are coming off injuries and aren’t 100 percent. [Redd, in fact, is out with an injured knee.] How can you get the other guys going?

BJ: We need to go to them the first five, six, seven possessions. We need to start the game by getting Bogut some touches. We need to start by getting Michael Redd some shots. Over the whole 82 games, that is our best chance of winning. They are a big part of this team. We might win some games here and there without them putting in big contributions, but if we want to be a playoff team, we need them. I think they can help us do that. I know they can help us do that.

SP Link

Jennings' language is as if he is the team captain. LOL.

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,926

Post#24 » by SOUL » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:30 am

IMO you want your rookie to act like he is the captain, as long as he can back it up & he has.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#25 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:59 am

i'm over college to, it's the same teams always getting exposure and in the ncaa title game, plus the best players are there one year.

Jennings is putting the bucks back on the map
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#26 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:00 am

drsd wrote:Jennings slid in the draft because his J was so suspect in Italy (below 40% shooter).

For Milwaukee, Jennings is at a respectable 46%. And as for the long J, a perceive major weakness, here he is also at 46%; amazing!

I am not a stat guy though. The 55 points tells me he is a ball hog. For me, as he is the PG, another stat matters more: 5-2. Jennings is leading Milwaukee to wins!

This kid is starting to remind me of AI. He is a volume scorer and is a me-first PG that somehow plays to win. A lot of player can score 20 ppg in the NBA. Not a lot of players could be leading Milwaukee to a winning record (let's not forget that Redd an Bogut are injured in this 5-2 start!). Whatever this kid is doing is working!

This kid has also already learned NBA arrogance. Example in an interview from Sporting News:
SN: Ultimately, if you guys are going to be a good team, a playoff team, you’re going to need big contributions from Andrew Bogut and Michael Redd. Both of those guys are coming off injuries and aren’t 100 percent. [Redd, in fact, is out with an injured knee.] How can you get the other guys going?

BJ: We need to go to them the first five, six, seven possessions. We need to start the game by getting Bogut some touches. We need to start by getting Michael Redd some shots. Over the whole 82 games, that is our best chance of winning. They are a big part of this team. We might win some games here and there without them putting in big contributions, but if we want to be a playoff team, we need them. I think they can help us do that. I know they can help us do that.

SP Link

Sounds like a smart PG to me
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
+MilitantMagix+
Starter
And1: 0

Post#27 » by +MilitantMagix+ » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:08 pm

He's so Quick with the ball, it's unbelievable.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#28 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:11 pm

I still think Sessions is special. Didn't he have like 40 points and 26 assists in a game last year?

I wonder if the Bucks could've kept Sessions for MLE money and played the two together. It didn't work for Francis and Marbury, but Sessions was one of the least selfish players on that Bucks team last year. It worked for Earl Monroe and Walt Frazier ;)
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
HoraceGrant
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#29 » by HoraceGrant » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:13 pm

It's ok to be a ballhog in Milwaukee. There is no one to share it with.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,431

Post#30 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:55 pm

might be my new favorite player, and i've never seen him play, lol.
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#31 » by aleZ » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:15 pm

drsd wrote:Jennings slid in the draft because his J was so suspect in Italy (below 40% shooter).

Seriously, he's like another player compared to last year in Rome, when he struggled sometimes to leave the bench, let alone score that many ppg's. But hey, shows europe and the us are sometimes worlds apart, after all Fred Jones is shootin' 20% from three around here :roll:
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 957

Post#32 » by Devin 1L » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:23 pm

drsd wrote:This kid has also already learned NBA arrogance. Example in an interview from Sporting News:

SP Link

While I think he's made plenty of arrogant statments in the past, I don't really see what you're getting at with that one.

Frankly, that sounds like exactly what I'd want to hear from him. Even in the rest of the interview, too -- he's talking about learning from Skiles, when Rose is mentioned he flat out says that Rose is the better player, etc. In that interview, he actually sounded pretty modest to me, especially compared to some of the stuff we heard over the summer.

Good for him though, he's proving pretty much everyone wrong thus far.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,013

Post#33 » by drsd » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:37 pm

HoraceGrant wrote:It's ok to be a ballhog in Milwaukee. There is no one to share it with.

This was my central argument. :)

Just win! And the Bucks are 502 with the new AI. :)

EDIT: (did not see the page three comments yet).

Conceptually, a NBA player is paid to outperform his direct opponent, under the guise of the team. Jennings is doing something else; putting his team on his back.

The early results of this are positive; the Bucks are winning games.

Like AI and Kobe before him, Jennings may have found out how to use the me-first approach to win at a team game. As the goal is to win, and not to help fantasy-team fanatics, more power to him.

Happy thoughts!
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#34 » by aleZ » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:13 pm

drsd wrote:Conceptually, a NBA player is paid to outperform his direct opponent, under the guise of the team. Jennings is doing something else; putting his team on his back.

I like to think that his year spent in Rome helped him understand the value of a full roster, but he'll prolly revert back to blacktop king in a few weeks if the stats keep rising together with the media attention. Oh well that's the L's main goal: put stars under the spotlight.
RvM
Veteran
And1: 276

Post#35 » by RvM » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:53 pm

man I never liked this guy, and he came off to he as arrogant and cocky when he was making so many ludicrous comments before he even played his first game. Guy's been proving me wrong this whole time.
RvM:42-31 when making Gamethreads.
vinageras
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#36 » by vinageras » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:46 pm

RvM wrote:man I never liked this guy, and he came off to he as arrogant and cocky when he was making so many ludicrous comments before he even played his first game. Guy's been proving me wrong this whole time.

My thoughts exactly... Everytime you get to see a player do a feat like this (55 points as a rookie), it's memorable...
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#37 » by G-Heel » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Guess he was right when he said he's better than Rubio. Impressive.
Fire Otis!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#38 » by RookieStar » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Yeah.. based on his short history being on the media, never expected he could do soemthing like this.
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#39 » by Horcy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:10 am

wow!!! this kid is gooooooood
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,784

Post#40 » by GameOver25 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:55 am

I'm impressed. Well that's all I have to say since it is the Bucks.

Return to Orlando Magic