ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,531

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#81 » by elchengue20 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:18 pm

I don't like the D-Book / Maxey backourt. Nice and flashy for sure but i don't think it's a championship core.

People asking for this didn't learn anything watching the Suns. Having a core with no real PG + no plus defenders + shoot first guys it's not the way to win.
MoeGreene
Junior
And1: 137

Post#82 » by MoeGreene » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:29 pm

I don't think they can fix this team in one off season. But, here's the best I got:

Fultz Beverley
Maxey Beasley
Bey Oubre
Bridges Reed
Embiid Claxton
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#83 » by sixers4real » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:42 pm

MoeGreene wrote:I don't think they can fix this team in one off season. But, here's the best I got:

Fultz Beverley
Maxey Beasley
Bey Oubre
Bridges Reed
Embiid Claxton

Not Morey style
It’s

Embiid / Idk
Idk / Idk
George / Idk
Idk / Idk
Maxey / Idk

We’re good
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
MoeGreene
Junior

Post#84 » by MoeGreene » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 pm

Probably true. Morey blows. We're screwed.

sixers4real wrote:
MoeGreene wrote:I don't think they can fix this team in one off season. But, here's the best I got:

Fultz Beverley
Maxey Beasley
Bey Oubre
Bridges Reed
Embiid Claxton

Not Morey style
It’s

Embiid / Idk
Idk / Idk
George / Idk
Idk / Idk
Maxey / Idk

We’re good
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,080

Post#85 » by mjkvol » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 pm

stormi wrote:
76Shots wrote:I remember the year the Sixers traded for Tobias, one thing that stood out to me how that Clippers team didn't seem to miss a beat after trading a guy who was averaging 21 and 8 in the middle of the season. I like many others knew it was a bad signing before the ink was even dry.

It's not just that they "didn't miss a beat". That Clippers team was meandering around .500 with Harris, and went 17-5 in their next 22 games after shipping him off. :lol:

We in return got this performance in a game 4 (five point loss) where momentum in that series was shifting back in our direction. We won a tight game 2 in Toronto, and ran the Raptors out of the building in game 3, a game stamped by Embiid's airplane celebration after doing a windmill.

With the chance to go up 3-1 and put a foot on the neck of the best team in the NBA and the eventual NBA champions, we got this!

Keep in mind this was a younger and more spry Embiid that took on the defensive task of Siakam (and was locking him down) after Pascal dropped 30 on Tobias in game 1.

He's unequivocally the worst non-MLE pay grade or below basketball player I've ever had the displeasure of watching, and his contract and existence capped the ceiling of Joel Embiid's career. He can't space on volume. He can't guard anyone. He can't finish at the rim with any consistency. He can't create for others. Whatever skillset you think he's providing harbours no utility on a winner.

He's helped depreciate my love for the sport of basketball and I get a really ugly taste in my mouth when I think about where we could have been if Elton / Brett Brown never had the chance to play around with the warchest they were handed on a silver platter, and a prime Joel Embiid who, by his lonesome, was a walking 50 win team.

That's about as well as it can be said. And yet, there are people on this forum who talk about bringing him back "at the right price" if "we can't find a replacement".

1. There is no 'right price'. There isn't a price low enough to ever have to see him in a Sixers jersey one day beyond this season.

2. We aren't looking for a Tobias 'replacement'. We're looking for players that fit the scheme with skills that help win big games in today's NBA. Tobias can't even be called a 'jack of all trades' unless you're looking for mediocrity at each 'trade'.

The mistaken point that his salary was the problem is only partially correct, as his salary prevented proper team building and made playing him almost a requirement. His lack of fit and disappearance in any big spots were the primary issues, and played a huge part in killing much of Embiid's prime. Good riddance.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#86 » by SixthStreet » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:12 pm

Given that our Embiid window is down to getting one fortunate run, signing George for his max is something I'm willing to go for at this point. That would leave the draft picks available to make down roster upgrades in trade.

I would not sign and trade for him to pay him more money and give the Clippers back anything of value though.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,558

Post#87 » by youngcrev » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:19 pm

sixers4real wrote:

Fultz Beverley
Maxey Beasley
Bey Oubre
Bridges Reed
Embiid Claxton

Not Morey style
It’s

Embiid / Idk
Idk / Idk
George / Idk
Idk / Idk
Maxey / Idk

We’re good

To be fair, I'd take Idk over Fultz pretty comfortably.

I'd love to have Mikal, but even pretending they have enough to get him (why wouldn't a team like the Thunder just outbid them?), it's costing you every draft asset you can put on the table (picks+swaps).

Would you prefer that risk over the risk of Paul George's next contract (while keeping all those picks)? I think George is pretty comfortably the better player currently.
MoeGreene
Junior

Post#88 » by MoeGreene » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:26 pm

That's not Mikal, its Miles. NJ won't let Mikal leave.

Fultz is a gamble, but Maxey is not a PG.

youngcrev wrote:
sixers4real wrote:

Fultz Beverley
Maxey Beasley
Bey Oubre
Bridges Reed
Embiid Claxton

Not Morey style
It’s

Embiid / Idk
Idk / Idk
George / Idk
Idk / Idk
Maxey / Idk

We’re good

I'd love to have Mikal, but even pretending they have enough to get him (why wouldn't a team like the Thunder just outbid them?), it's costing you every draft asset you can put on the table (picks+swaps).

Would you prefer that risk over the risk of Paul George's next contract (while keeping all those picks)? I think George is pretty comfortably the better player currently.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#89 » by youngcrev » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:27 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Given that our Embiid window is down to getting one fortunate run, signing George for his max is something I'm willing to go for at this point. That would leave the draft picks available to make down roster upgrades in trade.

I would not sign and trade for him to pay him more money and give the Clippers back anything of value though.

The only way a sign and trade would even be on the table is if the Clippers gave you something of value so that they can create a trade exception.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#90 » by youngcrev » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:27 pm

MoeGreene wrote:That's not Mikal, its Miles. NJ won't let Mikal leave.

youngcrev wrote:
sixers4real wrote:Not Morey style
It’s

Embiid / Idk
Idk / Idk
George / Idk
Idk / Idk
Maxey / Idk

We’re good

Oh. Gross.
MoeGreene
Junior

Post#91 » by MoeGreene » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:28 pm

I hear ya, but so is this Sixers team. So best available.

youngcrev wrote:
MoeGreene wrote:That's not Mikal, its Miles. NJ won't let Mikal leave.

youngcrev wrote:

Oh. Gross.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#92 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:32 pm

We're in a weird position regarding trades because we have no players/contracts to trade outside of maybe Reed. We will have 5 tradeable 1sts after this year, but most teams want at least 1-2 players back in star trades. Like would Cleveland accept four 1sts and cap space for Mitchell? Or would they prefer i.e. a package of Herro, JJJ and three 1sts instead? Just a madeup example but I think you get the point.

On top of that, if you trade 3+ firsts for a star, you use a big chunk of cap space in the process and have very little room to maneuver beyond that. You use both avenues (cap space and picks) to improve your team in one shot.

Thus, IMO, signing George (or Siakam) might be the best-case scenario. Having those five 1sts to still build the team afterward would make me feel much more comfortable. When you're in cap hell and have no picks (ala PHX, LAC, MIL) you're completely cornered and have no moves to make except to sell off your stars.

1) Max George or Siakam
2) Re-sign Batum, Oubre, and Melton with the remaining cap space
3) Sign Lowry and Drummond to vet mins
4) Sign Kyle Anderson with MLE
5) Trade Reed + picks for Caruso

Maxey(32)/Lowry(16)
Caruso(28)/Melton(20)
George(28)/Oubre(20)
Anderson(28)/Batum(20)
Embiid(32)/Drummond(16)

or

Maxey(32)/Lowry(16)
Caruso(28)/Melton(20)
Oubre(20)/Batum(20)/Anderson(8)
Siakam(32)/Anderson(16)
Embiid(32)/Drummond(16)
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,515

Post#93 » by eyeatoma » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 pm

Mik317 wrote:
76ciology wrote:Once you've figured out how to win with this team, you'll also figure out how to win an entire playoff without Embiid.

Superstar bigs in the playoffs must be able to play at a high level for 40-50 minutes. Players like Jokic or Giannis have done this in big games. If their shot isn’t falling, they contribute in other aspects like defense and rebounding.

If Embiid can’t do this consistently, then you need to build two championship-caliber teams with this roster. There’s no other way.

Thought Biid's defense was pretty good down the stretch
but also Giannis had Middleton close games for him due to his lack of jumper. Jokic has the two man game with Murray.

Its not about building a championship team without Biid...just a .500 level team would do ha. Instant offense guys off the bench or a guy who can play the offense passing hub game with Maxey. That was the best part of Harden or the idea of it..hell that was the point of Ben. Maxey is a great scorer but not always as a guy who can create his own no matter what as a lot of his offense comes off of the gravity Biid creates...and currently the non Biid lineups have too many guys teams can just ignore which makes it easy to key in on Maxey atm.

Next season Maxey needs to be the smallest guy who gets major minutes and Biid has to be the slowest...damn near everyone else has to be above average athletically and willing to chuck the moment they are open. This will help the rebounding and transition defense and make it harder to throw doubles and you can hide Maxey on defense consistently. Getting a real shot creator type is also needed so when Maxey is off or Biid is out (physically or mentally) you have someone who can get their own shot no matter what. Thats not creating a championship team sans Biid IMO

The goal has to be to field a team that is "good" but then the boost Biid brings to lineups takes that good to insane...in that scenario it won't require Biid to have to score 35 a night or 70 to beat the Spurs...but during the times it does happen its a blowout.

Now the issue is currently, we are mostly relying on FA in which guys have to want to come here or hoping we can outbid teams for guys in trades (and they want to come here lol) which we at home can't account for and IMO I don't think is likely. BUT the FO has no excuse as this is IT in terms of playing their hand so eh

IMO this would be the ideal scenario. Care to show what your roster would look like with your ideal players?
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 980

Post#94 » by Tony Franciosa » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:47 pm

I know Embiid says he's only got like 8 years left, but I actually think it's probably more likely half that. So with that in mind, Morey needs to start thinking about the post-Biid Maxey era. Any 4 year contracts he hands out this summer are essentially the last shot with Joel, I think. It's as important an offseason as this team has ever had...
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#95 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:25 pm

elchengue20 wrote:I don't like the D-Book / Maxey backourt. Nice and flashy for sure but i don't think it's a championship core.

People asking for this didn't learn anything watching the Suns. Having a core with no real PG + no plus defenders + shoot first guys it's not the way to win.

Maxey has really improved his playmaking, he CAN be the PG IF he has a great SG alongside him that can really score the ball.
Our issue is that our offense with Embiid is stagnant as ****, with a threat like Booker on and off the ball it would change a lot.
If you want defense, get that from the frontcourt positions and SF. I'm done with a dinosaur centric offense sorry.
Besides, even if you think we don't get better with Maxey + Booker compared to Maxey + Embiid, you are getting a player that is almost 3 years younger and is not an injury prone, 7ft+, stamina deficient, dinosaur 30 y.o center. It's a win win scenario.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,611

Post#96 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:13 pm

I don't know how much money we actually have or any of the rules, but....
I would try and make this happen...

Bring back Melton, Lowry, and Oubre
Utilize this first-round draft pick! Draft a player who can contribute right away! Don't go for a project that's never going to see the floor.

In free agency, I would prioritize Paskal Siakam if it can be done.
1A Paul George
1B DeMar Derozan

Tier 2
Miles Bridges (Scumbag, but if the playoffs teach us anything, it pays to have a few of them on your team).

Malik Monk (If we go the super sub sixth man route, then I like Monk. He's going to command a lot though).

Tier 3
Andre Drummond (Perfect backup)

Jalen Smith (He should opt out. Indy can't keep both him and Siakam. If we can't get Siakam, then we should go hard after Smith).

Isaiah Hartenstein (You want rebounding?)

Derrick Jones Jr (He's a priority in my opinion and a hand in glove fit with this team).

Lonnie Walker IV (I think he could start next to Maxey for us).

Naji Marshall (not my favorite player, but he'd be a good fit for us).

Royce O'Neal (really don't want to overpay this guy, but he'd be a good fit).

Tier 4
Kris Dunn (he's reinvented himself in this league. He's a dawg of a defender, athletic, and can play point guard).

Taurean Prince (Wing depth).

Daniel Theis (Decent backup center, can stretch the floor).

Trades I would look to try and make.
-Dorian Finney-Smith, Mikel Bridges, Saddiq Bey, Patrick Williams.

-Revisit Jerami Grant, and Malcolm Brogdan

Alex Caruso, Andrew Wiggins, and Myles Turner should receive a calls as well.

These are just names I like. Obviously, I don't have any answers, I'm not a GM, I'm not going to even try. Morey has his work cut out for him this summer.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#97 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:37 pm

I still believe Siakam is overrated. 30 y.o too, these athletic frontcourt guys usually decline faster, not a great shooter etc. Want no part of Siakam honestly.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,320

Post#98 » by Arsenal » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:43 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:We're in a weird position regarding trades because we have no players/contracts to trade outside of maybe Reed. We will have 5 tradeable 1sts after this year, but most teams want at least 1-2 players back in star trades. Like would Cleveland accept four 1sts and cap space for Mitchell? Or would they prefer i.e. a package of Herro, JJJ and three 1sts instead? Just a madeup example but I think you get the point.

On top of that, if you trade 3+ firsts for a star, you use a big chunk of cap space in the process and have very little room to maneuver beyond that. You use both avenues (cap space and picks) to improve your team in one shot.

Thus, IMO, signing George (or Siakam) might be the best-case scenario. Having those five 1sts to still build the team afterward would make me feel much more comfortable. When you're in cap hell and have no picks (ala PHX, LAC, MIL) you're completely cornered and have no moves to make except to sell off your stars.

1) Max George or Siakam

Maxey(32)/Lowry(16)
Caruso(28)/Melton(20)
George(28)/Oubre(20)
Anderson(28)/Batum(20)
Embiid(32)/Drummond(16)

or

Maxey(32)/Lowry(16)
Caruso(28)/Melton(20)
Siakam(32)/Anderson(16)
Embiid(32)/Drummond(16)

If we use cap space then no trades. Fill up the cap and exceptions. Then once the season starts we can make trades using the salary on the books plus draft picks to upgrade.

It can’t be all done just in the summer. Multi-step process.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#99 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:45 pm

Arsenal wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:We're in a weird position regarding trades because we have no players/contracts to trade outside of maybe Reed. We will have 5 tradeable 1sts after this year, but most teams want at least 1-2 players back in star trades. Like would Cleveland accept four 1sts and cap space for Mitchell? Or would they prefer i.e. a package of Herro, JJJ and three 1sts instead? Just a madeup example but I think you get the point.

1) Max George or Siakam

Maxey(32)/Lowry(16)
Caruso(28)/Melton(20)
George(28)/Oubre(20)
Anderson(28)/Batum(20)
Embiid(32)/Drummond(16)

or

Maxey(32)/Lowry(16)
Caruso(28)/Melton(20)
Siakam(32)/Anderson(16)
Embiid(32)/Drummond(16)

If we use cap space then no trades. Fill up the cap and exceptions. Then once the season starts we can make trades using the salary on the books plus draft picks to upgrade.

It can’t be all done just in the summer. Multi-step process.

Yea I'm suggesting using the cap space and hanging onto Reed's contract to match another smaller contract in a trade.

I think the above is doable in one offseason.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#100 » by SixthStreet » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:05 am

Reed's contract is about to become unguaranteed for the final 2 years. So we can cut him without penalty if required.

Alternatively, it would seem to make him more valuable in trade.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers