ImageImageImage

2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,577

Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft 

Post#381 » by youngcrev » Sun May 5, 2024 11:41 am

76ciology wrote:What is the % the 16th pick gets traded?

50%
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,121

Post#382 » by mjkvol » Sun May 5, 2024 12:26 pm

76ciology wrote:What is the % the 16th pick gets traded?

Anything higher than 10% is too high for me.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#383 » by SixthStreet » Sun May 5, 2024 4:47 pm

Is there a wing that can come in an contribute on day 1, like a Desmond Bane, at 16?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,213

Post#384 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 5, 2024 6:05 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Is there a wing that can come in an contribute on day 1, like a Desmond Bane, at 16?

Quite a few. Some of which include:

Terrence Shannon
Dalton Knecht
Kevin McCullar
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,121

Post#385 » by mjkvol » Sun May 5, 2024 6:47 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Is there a wing that can come in an contribute on day 1, like a Desmond Bane, at 16?

Quite a few. Some of which include:

Terrence Shannon
Dalton Knecht
Kevin McCullar

DK is a pipe dream in our spot, but Shannon and McCullar are very realistic.

The cruelest joke would be the Sixers trading the pick and then Knecht sitting there at #16.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,041

Post#386 » by Negrodamus » Sun May 5, 2024 6:56 pm

I’ve realized over the years that sometimes the most obvious answer is the right one. Tyler Kolek hits almost every metric I look for in a prospect. On a team where we are so deprived of an actual PG, he might be a welcomed addition. Would play instantly.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#387 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 7:59 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I’ve realized over the years that sometimes the most obvious answer is the right one. Tyler Kolek hits almost every metric I look for in a prospect. On a team where we are so deprived of an actual PG, he might be a welcomed addition. Would play instantly.

Can he defend?
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#388 » by Negrodamus » Sun May 5, 2024 10:30 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I’ve realized over the years that sometimes the most obvious answer is the right one. Tyler Kolek hits almost every metric I look for in a prospect. On a team where we are so deprived of an actual PG, he might be a welcomed addition. Would play instantly.

Can he defend?

He gets a ton of deflections and steals, so I think that’s all you can really ask from a PG who plays a high effort, two way game. I need to watch him against top talent to see if he’s getting cooked.

After reading the draft thread where we selected Maxey, there was a lot of discussion about Bane. He was such an obvious selection despite being older and a short wingspan. The numbers were insane shooting, he was a creator for others, had the steal numbers, etc. BPM was off the charts. If someone shows how good they are and have NBA level traits, it’s best to just believe them. Kolek seems to have a similar situation.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#389 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 10:44 pm

Anyone have thoughts on Juan Nunez? Numbers look fantastic with the exception of the shooting, where improvement can be projected considering his form looks fine and he's still under 20 years old.

If we're confident in improving his shooting he could be a steal with our 2nd rounder, which is around where he's projected on Tankathon.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/juan-nunez

Looks like a similar player to his compatriot Ricky Rubio.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#390 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 11:17 pm

I'm thinking Johnny Furphy is the upside play with our 1st rounder as a big wing. 3.5 years younger than Tristan Da Silva and put up similar numbers.

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/johnny-furphy-is-a-lottery-pick-hiding
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/johnny-furphy-1.html
https://www.tankathon.com/players/johnny-furphy

Even better if we can make a slight trade down to around #20 to get him, plus bank another 2nd rounder to target guys like Karaban, Schierman, Mitchell, Tyson, Jones, or Nunez.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#391 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 6, 2024 11:19 am

Here’s what I’ll say about Furphy after watching a few games: he’ll get playing time a lot sooner than many would expect, particularly if he can put on some weight this summer. He is a high effort defender and an assist converter from anywhere on the court. Very much a role player, but possibly a high level one. Not usually what I’d target, but I get the allure.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#392 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 6, 2024 12:02 pm

I’m still having a tough time jumping off the Carrington bandwagon. Watched him again UNC in the ACC tourney and he just has that it factor in his game. Tough shoemaker. Great handles. Excellent vision. Played all 40 minutes while defending RJ Davis.

I think he has the potential to be special as he puts on weight and gets older. I’m excited to see what his actual height and W/S are.

He didn’t exactly hit the advance stats of this guy, but he reminds me a lot of Jamal Murray at UK. Drafting him 15 would be banking on that jump from freshman to sophomore year being even substantial, which I think it would be.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#393 » by Arsenal » Mon May 6, 2024 3:17 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I’m still having a tough time jumping off the Carrington bandwagon. Watched him again UNC in the ACC tourney and he just has that it factor in his game. Tough shoemaker. Great handles. Excellent vision. Played all 40 minutes while defending RJ Davis.

I think he has the potential to be special as he puts on weight and gets older. I’m excited to see what his actual height and W/S are.

He didn’t exactly hit the advance stats of this guy, but he reminds me a lot of Jamal Murray at UK. Drafting him 15 would be banking on that jump from freshman to sophomore year being even substantial, which I think it would be.

I think we need to shoot for upside with the #16 pick. Whether that's Johnny Furphy, Tyler Smith, or Carrington. I think we can get an overaged maxed out instant contributor in the 2nd round.

Re: Carrington, the stocks numbers are alarmingly low so I'd put him behind Smith or Furphy.

Separately, what is your take on Antonio Reeves? Also has terrible stocks numbers but his shooting metrics are insane.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/antonio-reeves
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#394 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 6, 2024 4:12 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I’m still having a tough time jumping off the Carrington bandwagon. Watched him again UNC in the ACC tourney and he just has that it factor in his game. Tough shoemaker. Great handles. Excellent vision. Played all 40 minutes while defending RJ Davis.

I think we need to shoot for upside with the #16 pick. Whether that's Johnny Furphy, Tyler Smith, or Carrington. I think we can get an overaged maxed out instant contributor in the 2nd round.

Re: Carrington, the stocks numbers are alarmingly low so I'd put him behind Smith or Furphy.

Separately, what is your take on Antonio Reeves? Also has terrible stocks numbers but his shooting metrics are insane.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/antonio-reeves

I get what you're saying but it's not really apples to apples here. Furphy (and probably Tyler Smith) were largely spoonfed baskets. To their credit, they made those baskets, but there's a distinct difference between playing on a perennial powerhouse and being 75% assisted at the rim and 97% assisted from three compared to being the primary scorer at Pitt and being 17% assisted at the rim, 9% assisted from 2FG jumpers (Furphy was 25% but on a much lower % of shots), and 43% assisted from 3.

If Carrington was a more efficient scorer and had better defensive metrics, then we'd be talking about him in the top 5. I also think it's worth noting that he went a bit nuts in the last month of play. That's always something I like to see from freshman as it could indicate they were turning a consistency corner.

I don't care for Reeves as an NBA player. I suppose he can find a role as an offball scorer. That role definitely has it's place in the league, but he's going to need to figure out his dreadful defense.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#395 » by Arsenal » Mon May 6, 2024 4:32 pm

With Carrington a big factor will be his high school numbers. Was he a great shooter there ala Maxey?

Also what's his pedigree? Don't see him ranked in the top 100 2023 RSCI. Maxey was #10 overall his year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/awards/men/rsci-recruit-rankings-2023.html

Also what do you think of his defensive potential? The numbers there are pretty bad.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,548

Post#396 » by Jailblazers7 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:48 pm

One thing to consider with Carrington is that he turned a corner near the end of season when Pitt began starting Jaland Lowe as his backcourt mate. Lowe is a fast twitch score first guard that was a nice balance to Carrington’s more cerebral game. I think he makes sense as a long-term compliment to Maxey.

His stock numbers don’t look great but he was Pitt’s best point of attack defender so he’d often get the toughest defensive assignment. So he’s a solid defender but not as disruptive in passing lanes as some other guards. I think Nurse could easily coach him up to be more aggressive & get his hands on the ball more.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#397 » by Negrodamus » Mon May 6, 2024 4:58 pm

Arsenal wrote:With Carrington a big factor will be his high school numbers. Was he a great shooter there ala Maxey?

Also what's his pedigree? Don't see him ranked in the top 100 2023 RSCI. Maxey was #10 overall his year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/awards/men/rsci-recruit-rankings-2023.html

Also what do you think of his defensive potential? The numbers there are pretty bad.

I think you could draw comparisons to GG Jackson from last year: didn't make the top 100, stinky on defense.

Seems like a very good shooter in high school:

In his senior year at St. Frances Academy, Carrington averaged over 26.0 points, 7.0 rebounds, 6.0 assists, and 2.0 steals per game, with shooting splits of 49/38/86, while also setting a school record with over 1,000 points in a season.

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/carlton-carrington-is-demanding-your

I think if he measured out to 6'4+ with a 6'8+ wingspan, he's going in our area. It seems to me that his issue was consistency, but he was also like 2 months into his 18th year on this earth when he started his freshman year at Pittsburgh. I fully acknowledge this is a departure from my usual evaluation of prospects and I'm going with eye test a lot more than usual. He just has a very "pro" way of creating space and getting baskets. The handles look legit. The shot looks like it has the potential to be very elite. Since this a draft class that looks like complete ****, I'm willing to swing for the fences on a bucket getter like this guy.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,213

Post#398 » by Kobblehead » Mon May 6, 2024 10:54 pm

I don't like Johnny Furphy in the 1st round, based on his PPG.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#399 » by Negrodamus » Tue May 7, 2024 1:30 pm

We're still more than a month out till the draft, but I think my interests are on David Jones or Carrington. I'm a little confused why Jones isn't really mocked much. I think as we get closer, he's going to be discussed more. Pure scorer with an NBA body and generates steals at a high level. Has some obvious flaws, but nobody is perfect at this stage of the draft.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,695

Post#400 » by FireMorey » Tue May 7, 2024 5:52 pm

I haven't watched a ton of college basketball this year, I've found it the most boring year of college ball I can remember, but the one guy I am interested in seems to be a popular guy mocked to the Sixers and that's Isaiah Collier. I think he has potential to be a plus NBA scorer. Don't love anyone in this class though.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers