ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,608

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#541 » by NYSixersFan » Sun May 5, 2024 11:30 pm

George or Butler is the stupidity I expect from Morey. Hoping he proves me wrong.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#542 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 5, 2024 11:44 pm

NYSixersFan wrote:George or Butler is the stupidity I expect from Morey. Hoping he proves me wrong.

If this were betting, Id consider those two as favorites #1 and #2, respectively.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#543 » by eyeatoma » Mon May 6, 2024 12:00 am

George doesn't make sense, but I can see him wanting Butler especially if Jo does, also with Butler's playoff pedigree...

Jimmy would also be able to play point gaurd, which George would not. This would allow Maxey to be offball as well, and allow you to have a non-traditional PG in that slot.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#544 » by Arsenal » Mon May 6, 2024 12:08 am

Burning picks for Jimmy then having him take up $50m of cap is a bad idea. We only have enough room for 2-3 other players so will be as shallow as the Suns with a Big 3 and basically nothing around them, plus almost no picks to make future upgrades via trade.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,696

Post#545 » by FireMorey » Mon May 6, 2024 12:20 am

I'm ok trading the 16th pick and something for Butler if no better options present themselves. This draft sucks,t he 16th pick is virtually worthless. Miami picks 15th I think, they'd have back to back picks in the draft. Maybe could package them together to move up in the draft for a player they really like.

The thing about Butler is I don't think there will be a market for him, so there will be no bidding war to drive up the price. Most teams will not want him because of his personality and age. It'll probably be Sixers or stay in Miami.

Basically, if it came down to a first and filler for Butler or three first rounders and possibly a swap for Ingram, I'll take Butler and keep the majority of my draft capital.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#546 » by FlyingArrow » Mon May 6, 2024 12:38 am

Injury risk is enough that I'd take Butler over PG, all else being equal. At their ages, they are both bad risks for both injury and sudden drop-off. But Butler's track record isn't as bad as PG's.

All else is apparently not equal, though, because we could sign PG but would have to trade for Butler.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,580

Post#547 » by youngcrev » Mon May 6, 2024 12:48 am

Getting a superstar would be stupid when you can have 3 Bruce Browns... :banghead:
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,620

Post#548 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon May 6, 2024 12:56 am

I will explode with anger if we trade our first-round draft pick for the rental of Jimmy Butler.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,123

Post#549 » by mjkvol » Mon May 6, 2024 1:12 am

NYSixersFan wrote:George or Butler is the stupidity I expect from Morey. Hoping he proves me wrong.

If he signs or trades for an aging "third star" and we are saddled with another bloated contract after essentially punting a season to set up for this off season, then I will concede that you've been right about Morey. Until then, I'm going to have faith that he is going to do the work of building the team properly.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,608

Post#550 » by NYSixersFan » Mon May 6, 2024 1:13 am

I wouldn't trade the 16th pick or the 41st pick for Jimmy. I wouldn't sign him if he was a FA (unless it was short term and not the max)

if you forced me to choose, I'd rather have George. He's a year younger, bigger and a better 3 point shooter.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#551 » by Arsenal » Mon May 6, 2024 1:24 am

Signing PG is a better idea than burning assets to trade for Jimmy who requires the same bloated max contract. At least with PG we save our picks.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,123

Post#552 » by mjkvol » Mon May 6, 2024 1:44 am

Arsenal wrote:Signing PG is a better idea than burning assets to trade for Jimmy who requires the same bloated max contract. At least with PG we save our picks.

Both ideas suck. George because he'll spend more time on the DL than off and he really doesn't want to be here, and Butler because he'll tie up practically all the cap space, demand and get an extension, and will cost us draft capital.

If these are the only options, then it really was a colossal waste of a season
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,813

Post#553 » by the_process » Mon May 6, 2024 1:47 am

You cannot build a team on Maxey's timeline and win anything while Jo is still a Sixer.

If you want to be on Maxey's timeline, trade Jo. Otherwise, we're not on Maxey's timeline.

Now if you want a move that splits the difference? Trade for Lauri. That's an all in move that depletes all assets, though.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,696

Post#554 » by FireMorey » Mon May 6, 2024 2:14 am

I understand wanting to not commit to a guy like PG or Butler, but at the same time people need to be careful to avoid recency bias. I've seen and heard a lot of "Just build a deep and strong team like the Knicks. Their depth was the difference in this series." My counter to that would be: for one, if Embiid was 100% healthy, the Knicks don't even win the series. I know Embiid is never 100% healthy, but the point is the Knicks are not some great team. They aren't going to win the Finals.

What has proven time and time again in the NBA is the team with the most or best stars win titles more often than not. So generally speaking, that is what I want the Sixers to do. The question is can they get one of those players who can still play at a star level for the length of an entire contract. If not, then maybe the "build a deep roster with good solid players" comes into play, but I'll always hope Plan A in any offseason is to accumulate all star talent.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,559

Post#555 » by GoSixersBro » Mon May 6, 2024 2:17 am

Butler's numbers have begun to trend downwards across the board, as well as his health. His FTA per game are down, steals are down, and he's begun to shoot more threes, which we know is not his game and an indicator players are beginning to settle, preserve their energy and avoid contact.

I'm a big Butler guy, but that we missed that train. If Morey is really bringing him as the main band-aid for this past season then wow. It would be very on brand for this franchise, however.

The legend of Morey is close to becoming completely fraudulent. Dude would be absolutely tilted to make this move.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,801

Post#556 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 2:47 am

I’d rather have Paul George, then use the picks for another starter. For the other starter, I like Caruso or Jalen Smith.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#557 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 3:18 am

Here are some potential targets for the starting PF position, within the $10-15M cap space range achievable by absorbing another team’s contract:

- Okongwu for $14M
- Naz Reid for $14M
- Brandon Clarke for $12.5M
- Isaiah Stewart for $15M
- Grant Williams for $13M
- Robert Williams for $12.4M
- Marvin Bagley for $12.5M
- Larry Nance for $11.2M
- Boucher for $10.8M
- Richaun Holmes for $12.8M
- Olynyk for $12.8M
- DFS for $15M
- Max Strus for $15M
- Avdija for $15M

Notable free agents at the PF position include:
- Jalen Smith
- Pascal Siakam
- Obi Toppin

Notable free agents at the C position include:
- Valanciunas
- Hartenstein
- Nic Claxton
* possible to absorb Vuc’s 20M
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#558 » by sixers hoops » Mon May 6, 2024 3:24 am

ZarcMumoff wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:Also, “any deal would be via bird rights” is incorrect, and likely not the course they are taking. They are likely going to renounce Melton to clear as much cap as possible. If he comes back, it would be if we have any left over cap space or the room exception. Morey isnt going to commit to Melton until he has exhausted options with his primary targets.

sixers hoops wrote:Signing Melton to a $10 million dollar deal brings our cap space to about $50 million, which I don’t think they would have any interest in doing. They can figure out the rotational guys later. They need to add a core piece or two before they address rotational guys like Oubre and Melton.

I would be surprised if Melton returns if they renounce his rights. If they renounce it, it's because his back is in a really bad place and they don't want to risk it or they have someone us lined up in free agency/trade. Would be poor planning to renounce it to have to circle back to him.

I guess my question would be...if the plan is PG13, and he's going to take up $49.4M, what is the plan in FA beyond that? They'd have like $12 million to work with, and if they can feel optimistic about Melton's back, he might be their best option. It's an incredibly underwhelming FA class.

You don’t seem to understand how the process works, and you’re assigning meaning to them renouncing his rights that doesn’t exist. They don’t need to renounce him because his back is hurt or because they planned poorly, they would renounce his rights because they don’t need them to eventually re-sign him. He is going to get paid less than his cap hold. Renouncing him isn’t declaring that they are not interested in him, it is simply a procedural task because his cap hold has no value to them. His agent probably understands the collective bargaining agreement and can explain that to DeAnthony.

If they want to re-sign Melton with all of, or a portion of, that cap space, they can do so. However, they are going to renounce him, sign the big free agent, then they can pursue free-agents with the remaining $12 million or so. If they are okay with his back, Melton will likely be one of the players they target. And they wouldn’t be “circling back” to him. They would just be pursuing him without his rights, since they are operating with cap space.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#559 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 3:26 am

Here are the advantages I see with signing Jimmy Butler:

- He can serve as the engine of a non-Embiid unit.
- He can be the playmaker alongside Maxey.
- He can alleviate pressure from Maxey.
- He's a decent rebounder, potentially allowing us to continue playing with a tweener PF.
- He is a proven Play-off performer

However, there are also disadvantages to consider:

- Acquiring him will probably cost us a significant number of picks from the Heat.
- He is already 34 year old (8 months older than George)
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#560 » by sixers hoops » Mon May 6, 2024 3:36 am

mjkvol wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Signing PG is a better idea than burning assets to trade for Jimmy who requires the same bloated max contract. At least with PG we save our picks.

Both ideas suck. George because he'll spend more time on the DL than off and he really doesn't want to be here, and Butler because he'll tie up practically all the cap space, demand and get an extension, and will cost us draft capital.

If these are the only options, then it really was a colossal waste of a season

Both ideas suck, but Jimmy is much worse. He is done. He is about to turn 35 and is always hurt. And you would have to trade for him and extend him a third year? It’s over. We gave him to Miami for his final prime years. And now we are going to fund his twilight years while he can’t play anymore?

It’s such a bad idea to extend him another year that Miami seems ready to get rid of him before doing it, and he just took them to three conference finals and to the finals. Now we got nothing out of his good years, yet we are supposed to not only extend him, but give them picks for the opportunity to help them gracefully get rid of Jimmy and not have to pay for his final years.

The way the Vikings laughed at us when we took Reagor over Justin Jefferson, letting Jefferson fall into their laps, the Heat would have the same reaction to our stupidity.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers