ImageImageImage

2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,340

Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft 

Post#421 » by Arsenal » Fri May 10, 2024 5:41 am

Don’t want Flip. Give me DaRon Holmes instead and play double big with Holmes at PF.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,238

Post#422 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 10, 2024 1:05 pm

I don't see how Kyle Filipowski would fit into our plans in the frontcourt.

He'd be a better fit on a team that wants to juggle two 20+mpg guys at C.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#423 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 10, 2024 1:27 pm

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2024/5/6/24148505/syracuse-orange-mens-basketball-judah-mintz-not-invited-to-2024-nba-draft-combine

I feel like I'm missing something, because Mintz looks like the type of aggressive, physical G that thrives in the league.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#424 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 11, 2024 1:37 am

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40121045/ex-illinois-star-terrence-shannon-jr-stand-trial-felony-rape

Former Illinois star Terrence Shannon Jr. will stand trial on first-degree felony rape and felony sexual aggravated battery charges June 10, a Kansas judge ruled at his preliminary hearing Friday.

Shannon was arraigned and pleaded not guilty before a judge ruled there was probable cause for trial to proceed in his case.

Last year, a woman accused Shannon of sexually penetrating her with his fingers at a bar in Lawrence, Kansas, on Sept. 9. The woman found Shannon's picture through a Google search and told local police he was the assailant. Shannon was arrested and charged with "unlawfully, feloniously, and knowingly [engaging] in sexual intercourse with a person ... who did not consent to the sexual intercourse under circumstances when she was overcome by force or fear, a severity level 1 person felony."

In December, he was suspended indefinitely by Illinois and missed six games, but he was granted a temporary restraining order by a federal judge and returned to the team Jan. 21. He played the rest of the season and led the team to the Elite Eight. In April, the university dropped its investigation of Shannon.

Shannon, per his attorneys, is expected to complete his trial -- if the June 10 date remains -- before the NBA draft, June 26-27. Before his legal case, he was a projected first-round pick.

Before Shannon's preliminary hearing, his attorneys requested that the DNA evidence in the case not be admissible in the trial.

In a statement on Friday, Shannon's legal team said the judge's ruling has no bearing on his guilt or innocence in the case.

"Our legal team is neither shocked nor disappointed by the outcome of this event," Mark Sutter, one of Shannon's attorneys, said in a statement. "A preliminary hearing is a procedural process that merely speaks to the threshold of evidence and whether a question of fact may exist for a jury. It has nothing to do with guilt or innocence. Those issues will be decided at trial, and we continue to look forward to our day in court."
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,596

Post#425 » by youngcrev » Sat May 11, 2024 2:24 am

After extensive... reading mock drafts/watching some scouting/highlight videos, I think if Morey keeps the pick, he selects Isaiah Collier. Morey's an upside play guy. Shooting numbers were tragic, but less so in high school, and I think was the top recruit coming into college? Has the size/athleticism/playmaking to put next to Maxey at guard.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#426 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 11, 2024 2:31 am

youngcrev wrote:After extensive... reading mock drafts/watching some scouting/highlight videos, I think if Morey keeps the pick, he selects Isaiah Collier. Morey's an upside play guy. Shooting numbers were tragic, but less so in high school, and I think was the top recruit coming into college? Has the size/athleticism/playmaking to put next to Maxey at guard.

I'd be fine with that. I like Collier. He's big, physical, and aggressive. Reminds me of Rodney Stuckey.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#427 » by Negrodamus » Sat May 11, 2024 2:32 am

I still don’t get why Jamir Watkins is not even considered on mocks. He’s such an interesting two way player to me. Possibly my favorite upperclassman target.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#428 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 11, 2024 2:42 am

Negrodamus wrote:I still don’t get why Jamir Watkins is not even considered on mocks. He’s such an interesting two way player to me. Possibly my favorite upperclassman target.

Combine invites have gone out. So dudes not being mocked will start to show up.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#429 » by SixthStreet » Sat May 11, 2024 2:44 am

I'm firmly on team Wing, but I really like Tyler Kolek. You have to hide him defensively but he can help with playmaking and keep bench lineups afloat offensively in addition to playing with the starters as a floor spacer and secondary shot creator. He can elevate the teams pace which is a big weakness.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#430 » by Arsenal » Sat May 11, 2024 3:06 am

Don’t want Collier. Bad D, can’t shoot, negative wingspan. Nothing but pedigree.

Rather go for Jared McCain instead. Looks like a good bench PG at least and is an insane shooter. Interested to see his measurements at the combine.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#431 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat May 11, 2024 3:21 am

Kobblehead wrote:https://www.nunesmagician.com/2024/5/6/24148505/syracuse-orange-mens-basketball-judah-mintz-not-invited-to-2024-nba-draft-combine

I feel like I'm missing something, because Mintz looks like the type of aggressive, physical G that thrives in the league.

I watched a lot of him. To me, he's an NBA player all day. He's not a great shooter, but he's aggressive, can get to the rim, can handle the basketball, and can absolutely run an offense. It'll be a shame if he doesn't get drafted, but he definitely belongs in the league from what I've seen.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,847

Post#432 » by 76ciology » Sat May 11, 2024 7:04 am

Kobblehead wrote:I don't see how Kyle Filipowski would fit into our plans in the frontcourt.

He'd be a better fit on a team that wants to juggle two 20+mpg guys at C.

He's a big who can play alongside another big; he shows mobility on defense and seemed like he played with Lively last season. He's the type of big who can punish opponents if they switch, because of his ability to score on 1v1.

He resembles an Al Horford-type big, skilled with a good basketball IQ, capable of playing as a starting center or even as a power forward, depending on the team's composition.

Scouting report says he’s mobile (kelly olynyk level mobility?) and his PnR defense is decent to good, with great rebounding and good rim protection.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#433 » by 76ciology » Sat May 11, 2024 7:31 am

Regarding defense, is there a big gap between a young Markkanen and Filipowski? Cant Filipowski make a similar jump with his shooting?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#434 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 11, 2024 10:59 am

76ciology wrote:He's a big who can play alongside another big; he shows mobility on defense and seemed like he played with Lively last season. He's the type of big who can punish opponents if they switch, because of his ability to score on 1v1.

He resembles an Al Horford-type big, skilled with a good basketball IQ, capable of playing as a starting center or even as a power forward, depending on the team's composition.

Scouting report says he’s mobile (kelly olynyk level mobility?) and his PnR defense is decent to good, with great rebounding and good rim protection.

There's very few coaches in the NBA right now that would play Filipowski alongside another C. Nick Nurse definitely wouldn't be one of them.

He's a stationary defender on defense. He has too high a center of gravity to be a motion defender that can play PF. Teams want 6'9" 230 pound guys to do that in the switch era. Filipowski is too gawky at 7 foot.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#435 » by 76ciology » Sat May 11, 2024 11:05 am

Kobblehead wrote:
76ciology wrote:He's a big who can play alongside another big; he shows mobility on defense and seemed like he played with Lively last season. He's the type of big who can punish opponents if they switch, because of his ability to score on 1v1.

There's very few coaches in the NBA right now that would play Filipowski alongside another C. Nick Nurse definitely wouldn't be one of them.

He's a stationary defender on defense. He has too high a center of gravity to be a motion defender that can play PF. Teams want 6'9" 230 pound guys to do that in the switch era. Filipowski is too gawky at 7 foot.

I think its subjective, there are some guys who says he’s a decent to good defender. I see both sides and i think there’s inconsistency with his defensive performance
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ

I also dont see much difference on his defense than Lauri Markkanen.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#436 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 11, 2024 11:49 am

I wouldn't take what people are saying about his defense to mean people think he can play PF next to a C.

Filipowski is an okay player. I think he can be a (hopefully) healthy version of Zach Collins at the NBA level.

I think he would be a good fit with the Knicks to split time at C with Mitchell Robinson, being that they're going to lose Hartenstein to free agency.

I just think he would be a complete waste here, playing 15 mpg in the regular season and 5 mpg in the playoffs behind Embiid.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#437 » by Negrodamus » Sat May 11, 2024 12:29 pm

;pp=ygUXYnViIGNhcnJpbmd0b24gY2FzaGlnZ3k%3D

I’m still all in on Carrington as our first pick. His last month was essentially Jamal Murray stats at Kentucky. The eye test suggests a longer, less swaggy version of Murray in college. When everything is telling me that he’s legit (ball handling, clean shot, long, athletic, strong effort on defense), I have to throw the season king analytics out the window and focus in on the end of season. Still low STL% and sub .300 FTr in that stretch, but Jamal had the same issue. Also, if you watch that video, you’ll see a Carrington had issues with talent around him. Many potential assists not being converted. If you hit on him, the Maxey/Carrington future becomes very bright.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#438 » by Arsenal » Sat May 11, 2024 12:49 pm

Negrodamus wrote:;pp=ygUXYnViIGNhcnJpbmd0b24gY2FzaGlnZ3k%3D

I’m still all in on Carrington as our first pick. His last month was essentially Jamal Murray stats at Kentucky. The eye test suggests a longer, less swaggy version of Murray in college. When everything is telling me that he’s legit (ball handling, clean shot, long, athletic, strong effort on defense), I have to throw the season king analytics out the window and focus in on the end of season. Still low STL% and sub .300 FTr in that stretch, but Jamal had the same issue. Also, if you watch that video, you’ll see a Carrington had issues with talent around him. Many potential assists not being converted. If you hit on him, the Maxey/Carrington future becomes very bright.

Definitely passes the eye test. Stats aren’t great but like you say they got better, everything looks projectable, and the guy is still 18. I’m down for a home run swing here.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#439 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 11, 2024 1:22 pm

This might be unfair, but I just get the impression that Carrington is SOFT af.

Just 14% of his shot attempts occurred at the rim and his free throw rate was just .241. This guy seems to go out of his way to avoid contact. The exact opposite of the kind of guy I'm looking for. I want guys that attack defenders and apply pressure on defenses. Carrington seems like a passive spacer. And for a perimeter-focused guy, his percentages are really bad.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#440 » by Negrodamus » Sat May 11, 2024 2:17 pm

Yea, but last 13 games (admittedly cherry-picked) he was .285 FTr which is, like I said, on par with Jamal Murray. Since he’s one of the youngest guys in the draft, I’m willing to take the improvement and assume an off-season of NBA weight training will help his physicality

Return to Philadelphia 76ers