ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,663

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#1161 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed May 15, 2024 5:13 pm

I’m more interested in getting Maxey another PnR partner other than Embiid. I think a big problem with our late game offense is that Embiid is gassed and can’t run a normal offense. He disappears as a screener so instead we see him post up at the 3 point line.

I want another screener for Maxey who can take the load off Embiid. That’s why I’m so interested in the idea of Draymond Green on this team because he fills a ton of holes on this roster. I’d rather bet that Maxey can be a premier scorer & playmaker so we can invest our assets into the other areas of the team.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,631

Post#1162 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed May 15, 2024 8:10 pm

Monix wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Monix wrote:the 16th pick in a bad draft is not a game changer for a team trying to win unless they can trade it for an established player ready to contribute

this draft is pretty flat through the first 35 picks, no real outliers

I love it! The double standards...So this draft sucks BUT we can trade the pick for an established player ready to contribute?

There are plenty of NBA players that will have long career's in this draft. Nobody is expecting a superstar with the 16th pick. In fact, most of us are expecting Morey to trade the pick for a 35 year old veteran coming off of knee surgery. If we do keep the pick, I actually like our chances of that player being a contributor here. The draft isn't stacked with top flight talent, but there are about thirty available names in this draft that will have lengthy careers.

yes, I think this draft is garbage

it can also be true that there are NBA teams that may value a pick over a player that doesn't fit their timeline or vision moving forward

So we should trade the 16th pick in this "garbage" draft for an "established" player? I'm sorry, but those were your words, not mine. You literally said this and yet here you are, getting defensive because you don't want to be wrong. Here's one...Instead of getting prickly about it, why don't give us a list of these "established" players that we can trade the pick in return for. Since this is your idea/opinion, it's only logical that you name some names. Otherwise, it sounds like the usual blurted-out, armchair opinion from an individual who hasn't thought things through. Again, you're calling the draft "garbage" and yet expecting an established player in return for the 16th pick. Do you not see the double standard of hypocrisy here? How do you not see this???? What am I missing here? Is Paul Reed going to be your "sweetener" that you have yet to mention? Please...Explain. Name some names.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,618

Post#1163 » by youngcrev » Wed May 15, 2024 8:12 pm

Mik317 wrote:I love to get Mitchell...think he'd asked to be traded to Miami or BK tho

Jimmy to us
Mitchell to Miami
Herro, picks to Cleveland

?
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#1164 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:14 pm

Ingram gonna be tough especially with teams with tough guard overlap like Cleveland and George def gonna stay west coast most likely Clippers.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 673

Post#1165 » by Monix » Wed May 15, 2024 8:24 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Monix wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
I love it! The double standards...So this draft sucks BUT we can trade the pick for an established player ready to contribute?

There are plenty of NBA players that will have long career's in this draft. Nobody is expecting a superstar with the 16th pick. In fact, most of us are expecting Morey to trade the pick for a 35 year old veteran coming off of knee surgery. If we do keep the pick, I actually like our chances of that player being a contributor here. The draft isn't stacked with top flight talent, but there are about thirty available names in this draft that will have lengthy careers.

yes, I think this draft is garbage

it can also be true that there are NBA teams that may value a pick over a player that doesn't fit their timeline or vision moving forward

So we should trade the 16th pick in this "garbage" draft for an "established" player? I'm sorry, but those were your words, not mine. You literally said this and yet here you are, getting defensive because you don't want to be wrong. Here's one...Instead of getting prickly about it, why don't give us a list of these "established" players that we can trade the pick in return for. Since this is your idea/opinion, it's only logical that you name some names. Otherwise, it sounds like the usual blurted-out, armchair opinion from an individual who hasn't thought things through. Again, you're calling the draft "garbage" and yet expecting an established player in return for the 16th pick. Do you not see the double standard of hypocrisy here? How do you not see this???? What am I missing here? Is Paul Reed going to be your "sweetener" that you have yet to mention? Please...Explain. Name some names.

an established player would be an NBA player under contract that they would trade this year's pick for and receive them into the cap space that will be open at the start of the new league year, trade agreed to during the draft and executed after the moratorium

"contribute" can just mean that they are in the rotation throughout the year for a team expecting to make and be competitive in the playoffs

it seems like you're looking for message board fight, look somewhere else
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#1166 » by stormi » Wed May 15, 2024 8:51 pm

I don't think this draft sucks at all, unless you're a team that tanked this season and are looking for that beacon of hope. It's none of our concern that there are no high end elite players at the top. In totality though this is one of the deepest classes I can remember in some time. A bunch of intriguing wings and bigs in this class that stretch from late lotto all the way in the 40s.

I'm almost on the boat of draft two of:

Walter
Shannon
Tyson
McCullar
Saluan
Dadiet
da Silva
Scheierman
Sandfort

And see if they can stick quick like Christian Braun or JJJ did this year for Miami. This draft is littered with 10 year quality roleplayers.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,296

Post#1167 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed May 15, 2024 9:12 pm

FireMorey wrote:Any interest in Donovan Mitchell?

Not the best fit with Maxey and might be the biggest ball hog in the NBA, but in a playoff setting he'd give you another go to scorer that the team has lacked and they could figure out the distribution stuff later. Would cost a lot in trade, but he's still young.

Easy yes. You just surround them with 3&D at every other position. Trading for him still allows us ~$30 mil to spend in free agency (assuming a deal could get done relatively early, otherwise that cap space is kinda useless if all the good players are signed).
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Hussien Fatal
Veteran
And1: 1,405

Post#1168 » by Hussien Fatal » Wed May 15, 2024 10:46 pm

76ciology wrote:
FireMorey wrote:Any interest in Donovan Mitchell?

Not the best fit with Maxey and might be the biggest ball hog in the NBA, but in a playoff setting he'd give you another go to scorer that the team has lacked and they could figure out the distribution stuff later. Would cost a lot in trade, but he's still young.

Only interested if the plan is to trade Maxey.

But not interested if Maxey stays, which is very likely the case.

Trade Maxey? That won’t be a thought among Sixers management for at least 5-6 years. With Mitchell and Maxey I wouldn’t worry about them being too small because there most likely wouldn’t be a back court out there that could out play these two even with the lack of size. Their prowess in scoring negates any size deficiencies they might have.
They call me Hussien Fatal its a two game table im robbin you **** cradle wit a knife in your navel....
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,663

Post#1169 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:49 am

If we plan on third star acquisition, this draft is absolutely critical to hit on our picks. The only way we can build a rotation with actually quality on it is via rookie scale contracts. Maybe we get some value from vet min players but that just as much of a gamble as the draft.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#1170 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu May 16, 2024 12:59 am

Monix wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Monix wrote:yes, I think this draft is garbage

an established player would be an NBA player under contract that they would trade this year's pick for and receive them into the cap space that will be open at the start of the new league year, trade agreed to during the draft and executed after the moratorium

"contribute" can just mean that they are in the rotation throughout the year for a team expecting to make and be competitive in the playoffs

it seems like you're looking for message board fight, look somewhere else

Nobody is looking for a fight. You're being reactionary to the draft based on what you've heard others say about it. Unless you're some college basketball guru that watches all the games? There are a few of those guys on here and I haven't heard either of them say that this draft is "garbage." You simply called the draft garbage and then said we should trade our pick for an established player. I simply pointed out the double standard by which you are living by with this. That is all. I'm not here to fight either. If the draft is in fact "garbage" by your standards, then you can't demand an established NBA player in return for the 16th pick! I'm done explaining this to you. If you're too blind to see what you're doing here, then I guess we'll move on. The posturing on your part and failure to recognize this is irritating. Thank God you're not the GM!
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#1171 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu May 16, 2024 1:04 am

Jailblazers7 wrote:If we plan on third star acquisition, this draft is absolutely critical to hit on our picks. The only way we can build a rotation with actually quality on it is via rookie scale contracts. Maybe we get some value from vet min players but that just as much of a gamble as the draft.

I agree. There isn't a ton of star power in this draft, but there are a lot of decent rotation players and that's all you can really ask for based off of where our picks are. This team is starved for youth, athleticism, and upstart attitudes. Trading the pick for another over the hill burnout in the mold of Robert Covington (just so he provides vet leadership) will only sink this franchise quicker. We need to keep the pick, and draft a player that becomes a home grown talent. I have more faith in this franchise hitting on draft picks than I do with us hitting in free agency or even trades. This team has proven over and over again that it can hit in the draft.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#1172 » by stormi » Thu May 16, 2024 3:02 am

Jailblazers7 wrote:If we plan on third star acquisition, this draft is absolutely critical to hit on our picks. The only way we can build a rotation with actually quality on it is via rookie scale contracts. Maybe we get some value from vet min players but that just as much of a gamble as the draft.

Ricky Council UDFA was a breath of fresh air this season, and he impressed, and now he's a cost controlled asset with upside for the next 3 seasons.

Keep running the formula back.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#1173 » by Wilfried » Thu May 16, 2024 8:56 am

Trade for Mikal Bridges and Finney-Smith
Resign: Batum - Payne - Oubre - Lowry
Sign: Monk - Drummond

I really like this idea/squad. Very switchable, more athletic, more shooting, more rebounding, ...

PG: Maxey/Payne/Lowry
SG: Bridges/Monk/Council
SF: Oubre/Bridges/Council
PF: Finney-Smith/Reed/Batum
C: Embiid/Drummond
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#1174 » by ankle420breaker » Thu May 16, 2024 9:03 am

Reed plus a future 1st for Marcus Smart.

Use the rest of our draft capital to acquire Butler

Re-sign Oubre, Batum, and Payne

Sign Kyle Anderson using room exeption

Throw remaining cap at Jonas V and Gary Trent Jr

Embiid/Valanciunas
Anderson/Batum
Butler/Oubre
Smart/Trent Jr
Maxey/Payne

Sent from my SM-S921U using RealGM mobile app
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,707

Post#1175 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 16, 2024 9:09 am

ankle420breaker wrote:Reed plus a future 1st for Marcus Smart.

Embiid/Valanciunas
Anderson/Batum
Butler/Oubre
Smart/Trent Jr
Maxey/Payne

That team would absolutely dominate defensive and offensively.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,044

Post#1176 » by Stanford » Thu May 16, 2024 9:32 am

Trading for Mikal Bridges is the fools move. Brooklyn values him as a star based on 25 games of his 500 game career. It's not even worth considering.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,296

Post#1177 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu May 16, 2024 12:00 pm

Hoping George and LA come to an extension agreement soon and that Miami plays hardball dealing with the Butler situation. George or Butler standing in the corner isn’t going to be worth it. Young stars have already taken over the league - it’s over for the LeBrons, Butlers, Kawhis, etc.

Ingram, Miles, Mikal, Lauri, & Donovan should be prioritized. Get one of those and use the remaining cap space to round out the team.

Whether we want to accept it or not, it’s going to have to be Maxey & Embiid carrying us to a championship. The ball needs to be in their hands, sink or swim. There is no external savior here.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 862

Post#1178 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu May 16, 2024 12:35 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Reed plus a future 1st for Marcus Smart.

Embiid/Valanciunas
Anderson/Batum
Butler/Oubre
Smart/Trent Jr
Maxey/Payne

Now that's a team I can get behind. The difference in the vigor and intensity with Butler and Smart on the court would be palpable. And you'd have immediate top-notch defenders for opposing point guards (Brunson) and wings (Tatum), which are almost always your game-winners on opposing teams.

You have to have players who pride themselves on defense when you're facing such players in a playoff scenario and those players are spearheading their teams. Part of what killed the Sixers against Brunson this year was that there was no player on the Sixers with a defensive-minded identity who prided himself on shutting him down. Smart would've occupied that capacity easily and Brunson's life on the court would've been far more miserable.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#1179 » by the_process » Thu May 16, 2024 12:36 pm

BKN isn't going to trade Bridges for just picks IMO, however they would trade him for another player they really want. Donovan Mitchell. But I think CLE would just take Bridges for themselves instead of flipping him for more picks.

If you're gonna do it, Markkanen is the guy to flip the picks for. Utah has no way over .500 right now. They need to tank, and they can't do it with him there.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,030

Post#1180 » by Mik317 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:57 pm

its not about getting external help to carry the team but rather to make it more difficult to take away our bread and butter.

That has been the teams downfall in a nutshell over the years imo.

With Ben it was simply force him to shoot or beat you....and we never had another plan. The one time we did was with Jimmy and letting him be the main ballhandler and it took an all time shot to beat us. Then the genius FO decided to pivot lol.

With Harden the way to shut us down was to force Harden to finish at the rim or take middies which he couldn't or didn't want to. Cheating off of PJ or Tobias also mucked up the once unstoppable PNR.

This year the game plan was to just trap Maxey and again cheat off non willing shooters. Part of the reason Biid got his was due to him often playing in single coverage for once but with his **** stamina that had a short lifespan.

And each time things failed we'd default to forcing the ball to Biid and hoping he could just make things happen...which often either led to the entry pass being stolen or it taking forever to get him the ball and be put in a end of shot clock situation which he sadly sucks at lol.

Both guys won us a playoff game damn near solo..BUT you can't rely on other worldly performances every single game...need to make those performances end in blowouts and any close game be due to a TEAM effort imo. Thats the key here. Someone else said it but most of the remaining teams aren't playing bad players. Too often we have had a guy or two in our rotation that we all go "GODDAM TAKE HIS ASS OUT". That doesn't mean everyone has to be an all star but they all need to be able to play their roles to a T and make it so teams have to actually think on defense. Each playoff run has felt like every shot we hit is a miracle due to how tough they all are....need to make that less and less.

THIS does not absolve Biid or Maxey on their own bull. Biid need to be in better **** shape; injuries or not..he cannot be getting gassed as much as he does especially when his game is based on shooting jumpers as often as it is. Now part of that is him being involved on every offensive possession and also be the clean up man on defense but I also think he wants that...he needs to be okay with taking a lesser role at least on offense going forward. Maxey is often too passive and defers too much...he also needs to bring back the floater and add some stop start to his game to make him less predictable and also not as reliant on those deep ass 3s. BUT making it so there aren't many guys you can cheat off of opens up the world to them. The Knicks beat us because Hart, McBride and OG made it so our plan to get the ball out of Brunson's hands failed and we had to go back to single coverage and he beat us. Get that for our guys

now who that is....well thats why I am a message board loser and not a GM lol.
#NeverGonnaBeGood

Return to Philadelphia 76ers