20%

Total votes: 25

tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Who will break into the starting line-up first 

Post#1 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:30 pm

I wish all three had a shot to get some starts, but its taking a bit longer than I would have hoped. Who will break through 1st- and who will they replace?

I vote for Thad- since him starting really wouldn't take anything away from our current line-up.

Starting Smith would cost us rebounding. Starting Lou would cost us defensively and might force him to play out of position.

That said, I hope all three get their shot- if only to show what they can do running with the first team.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#2 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:51 pm

I chose Thad. Its obvious to me that Stefanski has played a part in Young's increased floor time. He seems to be optimistic towards his game and he's encouraging the sixer nation with each spurt he gets.

Jason Smith is getting his minutes. Evans usually gets in foul trouble or gets taken out soon enough as it is, so its not really a priority for Smith to start, although I'd prefer it seeing as Evans just simply embodies bench player.

With Korver gone, we kind of need Lou to provide that instant offense off the bench, however, his minutes should be increased.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:07 pm

I agree with everything you stated.

Smith may never be a starter- but he should at least continue to get his minutes. If he does develope into a starter it will only be when he is stronger in a year or two.

I would not mind Lou starting- but am fine with 25-30 minutes of the bench split at PG/SG unless Miller is moved.
phillyborn_jacksonite
Junior
And1: 2

Post#4 » by phillyborn_jacksonite » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:06 pm

voted for thad since it makes the most sense moving to an Andre squared backcourt.

However, i do think that this team would benefit from starting Smith at the 4. I love Reggie's hustle, but he is by far the largest offensive liability i have ever seen on this team...ever...no really..ever.. i can't think of anyone worse..if you can please tell me so i can feel a little better.

I realize Jason is young, inexperienced and would probably get abused by a stronger veteran, but with his quickness and shooting ability i would like to see what he could do with starters minutes...

i just dont know how much longer i can watch Reggie "leading the break" like he did vs Denver....i threw up in my mouth just thinking about it. Smith would have dished it to IGs or threw down a two handed slam.
sig courtesy of GKgfx
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:08 pm

Was Manute Bol better on offnese than Evans? Sure he had that sweet tough from three....
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#6 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:19 pm

phillyborn_jacksonite wrote:
i just dont know how much longer i can watch Reggie "leading the break" like he did vs Denver....i threw up in my mouth just thinking about it. Smith would have dished it to IGs or threw down a two handed slam.

The thing that pissed me off about that is he knows he's a perennial candidate for worst FT%, so why try and draw the contact instead of dish to the best finisher on the team who was wide f'n open?

I just scratch my head when he continuously fights for position offensively and then relentlessly calls for the ball so he can toss up something heinous (I have nightmares about his post game). Feeding Evans the ball offensively is about the same as turning the ball over.

For those reasons along with a few others I think Jason Smith should be starting. I don't think Smith is ready, but I don't think Evans is worthy seeing as he's the quintessential embodiment of a bench player. Smith wins by default.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#7 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:21 pm

tk76 wrote:Was Manute Bol better on offnese than Evans?

Does Raggety Ann have cotton tits?
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#8 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:42 pm

At least 2 of them should be starting after the deadline, since Willie Green and Evans shouldn't be here anymore. Thad should start if Green gets traded... not Carney. Smith should start if Evans get traded.
Swoll Cracker
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#9 » by Swoll Cracker » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:18 pm

Based on what I have observed, I don't think any of the three are ready to be starters yet in the NBA. But if you held a gun to my head, I would say Lou Williams is the most ready because he has shown a lot more consistency than the other two. I would say Young would be next, followed closely by Smith.

In the case of Smith and Young, I would increase their minutes to 20 from the 12-16 that they are currently playing. And I might throw in a spot start depending on match-ups. There is no need for Reggie Evans and WIllie Green to continue to get 30 minutes at the expense of those two.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#10 » by dbodner » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:20 pm

I don't think Smith is ready, but I don't think Evans is worthy seeing as he's the quintessential embodiment of a bench player. Smith wins by default.

Thad's already getting virtually all of his minutes at the 4 anyway, and frankly I think he's holding his own there. I wouldn't be entirely against letting him start at 4 over evans just to see how he does.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#11 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:26 pm

dbodner wrote:
I don't think Smith is ready, but I don't think Evans is worthy seeing as he's the quintessential embodiment of a bench player. Smith wins by default.

Thad's already getting virtually all of his minutes at the 4 anyway, and frankly I think he's holding his own there. I wouldn't be entirely against letting him start at 4 over evans just to see how he does.

I wouldn't be entirely against letting Lou Williams start at the 4 over Evans. I'd be fine with Thad at the 4.
Sandalf42
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#12 » by Sandalf42 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:48 am

I'd go with Lou, because it's going to take a really long time for Jason Smith and Thad to develop regardless of starts.
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#13 » by UptownPhilly » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:27 am

ankle420breaker wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Does Raggety Ann have cotton tits?

:rofl: :rofl:
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by tk76 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:44 am

Not that one run means anything- but the Sixers had the "line-up of the future" with LW, Dala, Thad, Smith and Sam out there at the end of the 1st- and they got killed. They gave up like a 8-0 run. Maybe they need more time playing together?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers