ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#1001 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat May 11, 2024 8:59 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:Valanciunas not rejoining New Orleans next season.

Get the man here. Would slot in as the best back-up center in the league and could get Joel some much needed rest throughout the regular season.

Yeah at this point you need legit Embiid insurance. He'd be perfect as a backup and would obviously have plenty of chances to start.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,604

Post#1002 » by youngcrev » Sat May 11, 2024 8:59 pm

Get the man here. Would slot in as the best back-up center in the league and could get Joel some much needed rest throughout the regular season.

He's a solid player, but presuming this team is going the max contract route, they've got limited resources to build out the rest of the team. Feels like a luxury that they can't afford unless he's coming really cheap.

It also seems like he'd have more sensible suitors elsewhere that would value him more momentarily and role-wise.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#1003 » by ankle420breaker » Sat May 11, 2024 8:59 pm

Yes. When Embiid inevitably has to sit out for stretches during the season we won't be completely handicapped. Also presents match up problems when we're healthy as teams will struggle to match our size defensively.

Sent from my SM-S921U using RealGM mobile app
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#1004 » by youngcrev » Sat May 11, 2024 9:27 pm

Gordon Hayward looks kinda cooked on the Thunder and is hurt all the time. Feels like a Morey "value" target.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,344

Post#1005 » by Arsenal » Sat May 11, 2024 10:01 pm

youngcrev wrote:Gordon Hayward looks kinda cooked on the Thunder and is hurt all the time. Feels like a Morey "value" target.

For vet min why not? For actual money, no way.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#1006 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 11, 2024 10:11 pm

youngcrev wrote:Gordon Hayward looks kinda cooked on the Thunder and is hurt all the time. Feels like a Morey "value" target.

And then everyone will throw their arms up during the playoffs when we only have 4 playoff-rotation worthy players still standing.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#1007 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat May 11, 2024 10:14 pm

Well size wins rings. Signing JV is and can only be a positive thing as long as we aren't breaking the bank for a backup center.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,577

Post#1008 » by GoSixersBro » Sun May 12, 2024 12:16 am

youngcrev wrote:

He's a solid player, but presuming this team is going the max contract route, they've got limited resources to build out the rest of the team. Feels like a luxury that they can't afford unless he's coming really cheap.

It also seems like he'd have more sensible suitors elsewhere that would value him more momentarily and role-wise.

I don't disagree with you, Morey is too unreliable to actually go out and get the less sexy pieces that actually plug holes in this team's deficiencies. Paul George isn't going to stop the offensive rebounds or exert all of his energy to solely shut down Brunson in that series. All he will do is stagnate an already stagnated offense and turn our most explosive guard since Iverson into a coat rack.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 478

Post#1009 » by PhillyFan11 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:19 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Well size wins rings. Signing JV is and can only be a positive thing as long as we aren't breaking the bank for a backup center.

Would he represent a significant upgrade to Drummond for the backup role? Feel like Drummond would cost 1/2 the $….unless I’m overvaluing Valanciunas ($8-10M per?)

I’m all for having a better backup plan to Embiid, but I also don’t think Morey should over correct and spend too much on the problem. There’s a very big gap between 6’8 Paul Reed and Mo Bamba and an acceptable backup C solution
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#1010 » by youngcrev » Sun May 12, 2024 12:20 am

GoSixersBro wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

I don't disagree with you, Morey is too unreliable to actually go out and get the less sexy pieces that actually plug holes in this team's deficiencies. Paul George isn't going to stop the offensive rebounds or exert all of his energy to solely shut down Brunson in that series. All he will do is stagnate an already stagnated offense and turn our most explosive guard since Iverson into a coat rack.

That seems like a weird assessment of Paul George's game.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer

Post#1011 » by PhillyFan11 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:33 am

A question I don’t think has been posed…are there any restricted free agents you would pay up for with an offersheet?

Some fairly interesting names: Issac Okoro, Saddiq Bey, Patrick Williams, Obi Toppin, Simone Fontecchio

Don’t know how realistic it is for any of those guys to be let go, but definitely some guys worth kicking the tires on that could help
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,344

Post#1012 » by Arsenal » Sun May 12, 2024 12:40 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:A question I don’t think has been posed…are there any restricted free agents you would pay up for with an offersheet?

Some fairly interesting names: Issac Okoro, Saddiq Bey, Patrick Williams, Obi Toppin, Simone Fontecchio

Don’t know how realistic it is for any of those guys to be let go, but definitely some guys worth kicking the tires on that could help

Maybe target Obi Toppin for $12-15m/yr if the Pacers MAX out Siakam, making it more likely they let Toppin go.

Try to get Fontecchio for around $8m/yr but Pistons most likely match. Maybe they won't if they throw the bag at Assassin lol.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#1013 » by youngcrev » Sun May 12, 2024 12:44 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Well size wins rings. Signing JV is and can only be a positive thing as long as we aren't breaking the bank for a backup center.

Would he represent a significant upgrade to Drummond for the backup role? Feel like Drummond would cost 1/2 the $….unless I’m overvaluing Valanciunas ($8-10M per?)

I’m all for having a better backup plan to Embiid, but I also don’t think Morey should over correct and spend too much on the problem. There’s a very big gap between 6’8 Paul Reed and Mo Bamba and an acceptable backup C solution

Yeah.

Realistically, you're not investing a lot in a guy that can't play at the same time as your best player. If it's a stretch 4/5 that could see minutes at the same time as Embiid, sure. But they should be able to find reasonably decent innings eater at the position for cheap.

The key to surviving non-Embiid minutes is increasing your talent base in general, not just the center position. Get other players that can reliably generate offense and you can survive a Paul Reed-level player at the 5 for stretches.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#1014 » by youngcrev » Sun May 12, 2024 12:49 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:A question I don’t think has been posed…are there any restricted free agents you would pay up for with an offersheet?

Saddiq would interest me, and Atlanta's salary situation is rough. I think he could fill a Jae Crowder type role on a good team. Tough wing that shoots 3s.

Pat Williams will probably forever intrigue and forever underwhelm.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,187

Post#1015 » by mjkvol » Sun May 12, 2024 12:57 am

youngcrev wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:

Yeah.

Realistically, you're not investing a lot in a guy that can't play at the same time as your best player. If it's a stretch 4/5 that could see minutes at the same time as Embiid, sure. But they should be able to find reasonably decent innings eater at the position for cheap.

The key to surviving non-Embiid minutes is increasing your talent base in general, not just the center position. Get other players that can reliably generate offense and you can survive a Paul Reed-level player at the 5 for stretches.

I agree, but giving Paul George $50 million kind of limits our options to increase the talent level and get other quality players.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#1016 » by youngcrev » Sun May 12, 2024 1:04 am

mjkvol wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:

Yeah.

I agree, but giving Paul George $50 million kind of limits our options to increase the talent level and get other quality players.

Limits your ability to do so beyond the massive increase in the talent level that he himself would represent.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,187

Post#1017 » by mjkvol » Sun May 12, 2024 1:36 am

youngcrev wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Yeah.

Limits your ability to do so beyond the massive increase in the talent level that he himself would represent.

When he's on the floor and if he really cares. George wants no part of playing in Philly, we all know it - the first time he is booed he will check out. There are mercenaries and there are mercenaries, but if I'm going to pay someone stupid money they have to at least really want to be here. I don't want him either, but with Butler we'd have that at the very least.

Beyond that, his 'massive increase in talent' doesn't provide the depth we need at guard and especially in the front court, and does nothing for our rebounding issues. I can't believe we are arguing over whether a 35-year old declining player who is a West coast guy can come in here and make enough of a difference by himself that gets us anywhere beyond where we've been stuck.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#1018 » by ankle420breaker » Sun May 12, 2024 1:41 am

youngcrev wrote:

Saddiq would interest me, and Atlanta's salary situation is rough. I think he could fill a Jae Crowder type role on a good team. Tough wing that shoots 3s.

Saddiq is absolutely someone to keep an eye on given Atlanta's situation. He's that Knicks type of role player that we could've used this year. Someone who actually make us better against eastern foes like Boston, Milwaukee, and NY.... versatile wing who can play some small ball 4.

PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer

Post#1019 » by PhillyFan11 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:46 am

ankle420breaker wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Saddiq is absolutely someone to keep an eye on given Atlanta's situation. He's that Knicks type of role player that we could've used this year. Someone who actually make us better against eastern foes like Boston, Milwaukee, and NY.... versatile wing who can play some small ball 4.

Obviously depends on how big of a price difference, but I would definitely prefer a 25 year old Bey to the free agent F’s available like O’Neale, Prince or Anderson.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,713

Post#1020 » by FireMorey » Sun May 12, 2024 1:57 am

I'm all for not going for a high end player and just adding really quality role players but if you look in free agency, there really aren't any. The guys out there will probably be re-signed to their current teams or are RFAs. Then you have Malik Monk types who will probably be vastly overpaid because they are better guys in a weak free agent class. So sure, you might save money by signing some of these guys, but you'll still be overpaying to scale.

I don't see a ton of great options any way you slice it. I really don't think adding Bruce Brown, Malik Monk and KCP makes this closer to a title than just signing say Paul George.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers