ImageImageImage

Talks of Miller to Portland?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Re: Talks of Miller to portland? 

Post#121 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Feb 4, 2009 4:57 pm

The first option in trading Miller is to get a PG...either a developmental one (i.e. Sergio) or an established on (Hinrich). Guys like Outlaw and Pietrus are nice guys to have on the roster, but they are not positions of NEED.

I guess if we can't make a trade to help us figure out our PG of the future, some of these other things probably make sense - you don't want to see Miller walk for nothing - but in that case, I would at least see if we could move a bad contract in the process (Evans or Green).
geiger
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#122 » by geiger » Wed Feb 4, 2009 5:23 pm

One possibility I was thinking of is injury related:

Sixers trade Miller, Green and Ratliff to Orlando. Our first round pick in 2010 to the Lakers.

Magic trade Pietrus and a 2010 first rounder to Philly and Battie and Johnson or Reddick to the Lakers.

Lakers trade Radmanovic and Farmar to the Sixers.
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 197

Post#123 » by 9th Wonder » Wed Feb 4, 2009 5:44 pm

If I'm the Lakers I would say no. I like it from our perspective, though.
geiger
Banned User

Post#124 » by geiger » Wed Feb 4, 2009 6:28 pm

Could make it less complicated. Lakers get a first rounder and JJ for Farmar. We get Pietrus and Battie. Maybe figure out a third team where we would also get a PG coming back our way - somethign that makes sense - not a long term, overpaid guy like Beno Udrih.
geiger
Banned User

Post#125 » by geiger » Wed Feb 4, 2009 6:38 pm

I guess I'll put this here instead of the trade proposal thread:

Miller, Green and Ratliff to Orlando

Pietrus and Hinrich to Philly

Battie, Cook and Orlando's first round pick in 2011 to Chicago

Orlando gets to free up long term salary and remain a contender this season in spite of losing Nelson and would have the funds to re-sign Turkogulu next season.

Chicago gets two big bodies, one of whom is a solid veteran for the locker room, a future pick, and gets to free up salary for a huge bid in 2010.

Philly gets a new back court for this season - Hinrich and Pietrus, with Pietrus likely moving into a bench swingman role next season when Brand is healthy and Iggy is at the 2 and Young at the 3.
ojr107
Veteran

Post#126 » by ojr107 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 9:12 pm

How good is Travis Outlaw on the fast break? Is his quick for a SF?
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#127 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Feb 4, 2009 9:35 pm

geiger:

If that deal is out there, I am ALL over it.

Nice one.
geiger
Banned User

Post#128 » by geiger » Wed Feb 4, 2009 9:39 pm

I have absolutely no idea if it is or not. Just a proposal. Haven't seen any rumors or inside information. Just figure Orlando probably wouldn't mind contending this season while shedding some salary to resign Turkogulu and Chicago isn't going anywhere and might want to move a highly paid back up and free up cap space for 2010.

Outlaw is athletic. All this speed talk from people is nonsense. Every SF and SG in the NBA is fast enough to run on the fast break. It's not a track meet and if it was, Shaq and Duncan wouldn't be holding 7 rings between them - Bulls won with Cartwright and Horace Grant, Sixers with Moses Malone, etc. Hollinger has a pretty good breakdown of Outlaw's game - go to www.espn.go.com click on NBA, click on players, click on Outlaw, click on Hollinger.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#129 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Feb 4, 2009 9:42 pm

I'm not going to put lock this thread because we are nearing the deadline and Miller is a hot name in the rumor mill. That said, let's try and keep the fantasy stuff that doesn't have any sort of rumor about it to a minimum.

Thanks,
TGP
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#130 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Feb 4, 2009 9:44 pm

Also... I do agree with bebop that any trade that sends Miller out has got to bring back a PG in return.
geiger
Banned User

Post#131 » by geiger » Wed Feb 4, 2009 9:45 pm

That's my fault. Should have just put it in the trade thread. Just figured since this is a Miller being traded thread, it might have made sense. Feel free to move it to the Fantasy Trade thread. As I said, there is absolutely nothing that I'm aware of our there that indicates that what I posted is anything other than a fantasy trade.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#132 » by tk76 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 9:51 pm

geiger wrote:Every SF and SG in the NBA is fast enough to run on the fast break.

Speed has less to do with running the break than athleticism and skill set.

Look at PG's. Miller has below average foot speed for a PG, but is great at running the break. Other quicker PG's might be bad at running the break either becasue of an inability to drive and finish/kick or lousy decisionmaking in terms of when to pass ahead and when to hold off.

Someone like Blake is not a lousy fast break PG because he is slow. he is lousy at the fastbreak (according to Blazer fans) because he can't drive the ball and is too conservative about passing ahead. Sergio is a much better fast break PG, but worse in the set offense (partly because he can't shoot.)
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#133 » by bebopdeluxe » Thu Feb 5, 2009 4:10 am

geiger:

I knew it was a fantasy trade...but as opposed to most of them (which have ZERO chance of happening), that was one where everybody got something they wanted.

It would seem that for teams like Portland and Orlando, trading for Miller makes a lot of sense...because of injuries, both teams have a shot this year, and you only have to be on the hook for Miller this year.

I really do hope something happens.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by The Guilty Party » Thu Feb 5, 2009 6:04 am

I have a bunch of questions about the rumored trade by SF76 (Miller, Rush, Evans for Sergio, Outlaw, LaFrentz)

1) Does Sergio come in a start over Lou Williams?

2) Is Lou Williams our future PG? I wrote it off a while ago but it might be time to revisit this considering his age and the way he's improved each year.

3) Doesn't Outlaw just further clog the SF spot?

4) If we're trading Miller and we've identified that Lou IS the future PG... why not try to deal Miller for a SG?
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#135 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Feb 5, 2009 7:54 am

Id much rather have Bayless than Sergio if possible. I kno people say hes a Lou type combo guard but hes got alot of talent and better handles than lou.

I dont kno too much about Rodriguez , except hes supposed to have some j will type handles,which could make for some sick plays but also TO's. Not sure about his shot,ive seen him stroke a few 3's but not really sure how consistent it is. They say he could really flourish in an uptempo system, which we run.

Lafrentz would die in our system, but hes soley for the expiring deal, and Outlaw is a solid player.
Hes built like Thad, has a pretty solid jumper and has alot of athletic ability...sounds like someone this team would love.

Im seriously worried about Miller walking after the season and even if it hurts our team short term, i think Ed has to make something happen if hes got the same feeling as i do in his gut.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#136 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Feb 5, 2009 8:15 am

Also for those asking for Webster...hes hurt and been injury plagued all season with a foot injury.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by The Guilty Party » Thu Feb 5, 2009 8:18 am

I agree about Bayless. I'm all for trading Miller for LaFrentz and Bayless rather than Sergio, Outlaw, and a pick.

If we do such a trade for Bayless or Sergio then we really have to look at moving Brand. He'll be 30 next year and will be on a team LOADED with extremely young players who want to get out and run.
PhilasFinest
RealGM

Post#138 » by PhilasFinest » Thu Feb 5, 2009 8:30 am

Im still all for giving EB a legit shot and getting back in his groove and all.
But Ed must be having nightmares about Josh Smith
he didnt fit the quote on quote post player we wanted, but he fit the bill of what this team needs. which is an athlete to run and not a back to the basket PF.

this teams gonna have to find a way to work Brand in, unless they plan on settling for low ball offers.
who do u honestly think we could get for EB that can fit in with this team?

Marion?
Bosh?
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by The Guilty Party » Thu Feb 5, 2009 8:34 am

PhilasFinest wrote:Im still all for giving EB a legit shot and getting back in his groove and all.
But Ed must be having nightmares about Josh Smith
he didnt fit the quote on quote post player we wanted, but he fit the bill of what this team needs. which is an athlete to run and not a back to the basket PF.

this teams gonna have to find a way to work Brand in, unless they plan on settling for low ball offers.
who do u honestly think we could get for EB that can fit in with this team?

Marion?
Bosh?

Honestly??? I think we have NO shot at Bosh. I don't think TOR is going to trade him and if they do, I think he'll go outside of the division.

I do think we have an honest shot at Amare considering all of the assets we have and we're in the other conference. I'm positive we could have Marion if we wanted him but what would the point be? Do we want to re-sign him? Doesn't he just add to the duplication of Iguodala and Thad? Yes, he's better now but he's not the answer for this team.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#140 » by freshie2 » Thu Feb 5, 2009 11:24 am

PhilasFinest wrote:Also for those asking for Webster...hes hurt and been injury plagued all season with a foot injury.

Yea...he's more of a gamble as a future contributor. A young, long SG who can hit the 3...may be worth the risk...or could be a shorter Sam Bowie!! Tough call on him...personally, I may take the risk as I don't think his injuries are career threatening.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers