ImageImageImage

76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 1

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,923

Re: 76ers 2023-24 Season Thread Part 1 

Post#1921 » by Wilfried » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:48 am

76ciology wrote:In the last 6 games since his return, Zach Lavine has the third highest on vs off NetRtg for the Bulls, behind Demar and Vucevic. He has been playing winning basketball lately and its something to be monitored.

Zach Lavine scores atleast 60TS% for the Bulls in the last 3 seasons.

Not saying he's a bad player, I think he's not that bad as most people state ...

But we cannot afford that contract, it's that simple. We would be handcuffed again and, therefor he's not good enough
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,879

Post#1922 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:19 pm

Wilfried wrote:
76ciology wrote:In the last 6 games since his return, Zach Lavine has the third highest on vs off NetRtg for the Bulls, behind Demar and Vucevic. He has been playing winning basketball lately and its something to be monitored.

Not saying he's a bad player, I think he's not that bad as most people state ...

But we cannot afford that contract, it's that simple. We would be handcuffed again and, therefor he's not good enough

Im not saying we should trade for Lavine.

But I dont recall us having problems with our depth in the last 3 years.

Compared to other teams, we need more talent at the top 2-3 positions because of Embiid’s inconsistent presence. Thus, we can’t just surround Biid and Maxey with 3&D guys.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
GuideDog
Junior
And1: 138

Post#1923 » by GuideDog » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:45 pm

We need to go after Dejounte Murray. He fills our biggest needs and would be a perfect fit with Tyrese. He can also be featured with the second unit. Morey shouldn't waste this opportunity.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1924 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:03 pm

My guess right now is we’re just going to sign Gordon Hayward for the minimum in the buyout market or trade expiring+2nd rounder for Tyus Jones.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,586

Post#1925 » by SixthStreet » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:31 pm

Hayward seems like a dude that would go back to the Celtics if he could so I don’t expect us to factor in that buy out.
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#1926 » by AI_Efficiency » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:45 pm

76ciology wrote:
Wilfried wrote:

Compared to other teams, we need more talent at the top 2-3 positions because of Embiid’s inconsistent presence. Thus, we can’t just surround Biid and Maxey with 3&D guys.

Totally get this sentiment, and ideally I want a guy who can defend and has some creation ability like Morey talked about. That said, I tend to think that if we are ever going to win a ring, it will come with Embiid going on a crazy playoff run where he’s as efficient there as he is in the regular season. I just think it will be tough to have a roster so good that can compensate for him if he’s mediocre.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,283

Post#1927 » by Kobblehead » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:20 pm

Trade for John Collins to solve the PF problem.

or

Trade for Jerami Grant to upgrade the SF spot.
FlyerzFan12
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#1928 » by FlyerzFan12 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:39 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Hayward seems like a dude that would go back to the Celtics if he could so I don’t expect us to factor in that buy out.

That's what I thought, but if this paragraph from a wiretap post is true, then he can't.

Teams are also monitoring Hayward as a possible buyout candidate. Because Hayward makes more than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception, teams that are above the tax apron are restricted from signing him. This change went into effect with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Teams that are currently over the tax apron include the Boston Celtics, Denver Nuggets, Golden State Warriors, LA Clippers, Miami Heat, Milwaukee Bucks and Phoenix Suns.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,297

Post#1929 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:13 pm

Defensive rebounding is again our biggest issue, and a lot of that has to do with Tobias being our starting 4. The last several champions (LAL, MIL, DEN) all frequently played two legitimate bigs together.

Besides Lauri, I don't know what the solution might be but I really hope we don't go into the playoffs with Tobias as our starting 4. Seeing him next to Gordon the other night was another eye-opening reminder.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,048

Post#1930 » by Stanford » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:24 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Trade for John Collins to solve the PF problem.

or

Or both? How much could they possibly cost?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,082

Post#1931 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:45 pm

76ciology wrote:
Wilfried wrote:

You don’t recall the Celtics leaving Tucker Melton and Niang wide open all game 6 and them not taking advantage?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1932 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:35 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Wilfried wrote:

You don’t recall the Celtics leaving Tucker Melton and Niang wide open all game 6 and them not taking advantage?

I remember sir, thats why I say we can’t just surround those two with 3&D guys
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,082

Post#1933 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:59 pm

76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I’m not following what you mean by depth then. Are you talking about the top 2/3 guys or the other guys that play? You’re bouncing back and forth.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1934 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:23 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:You don’t recall the Celtics leaving Tucker Melton and Niang wide open all game 6 and them not taking advantage?

I’m not following what you mean by depth then. Are you talking about the top 2/3 guys or the other guys that play? You’re bouncing back and forth.

I’m referring to adding more talent to the top 2/3 guys of the team. We need more talent than Tobi as the third guy. Because of the inconsistency of Embiid’s presence.

We can’t just surround Maxey and Embiid with 3&D guys.

Maxey and Embiid have to play with someone who can help Maxey steal a playoff game or two in a playoff series against the Celtics. That player, IMO, should be good enough that Maxey could slip to become the third guy in some games.

Maybe there are other ways like surround Maxey and Embiid with Buddy Hield and Tobias Harris. Im also open to that.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1935 » by 76ciology » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:25 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Trade for John Collins to solve the PF problem.

or

Maybe trade for Jerami Grant. Then use around $10M cap space for 2024 FA?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,157

Post#1936 » by Negrodamus » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:37 pm

Depending on the cost, Bruce Brown is really the only guy who interests me who has a realistic shot of being traded. He has proven it in the playoffs and fills most of the holes we currently have:
Secondary ballhandler/creator
Switchable defender while still being a threat from three

If he can get his shooting back to Nuggets level, then we might be able to make a serious run in the playoffs.

It's not realistic to think a 6'8 star SF is going to become available to trade for a reasonable price in the next month.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,667

Post#1937 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:43 pm

I’m curious to see the Nurse effect in the postseason regardless of any trades we make. A huge part of our struggles is that Doc just ran the same isos & PnRs all game which made our offense incredibly easy to defend. The result was either Embiid had to try playing Superman, which led to dumb shots & turnovers, or the defense funnels the ball to open role player & we pray they make a shot.

Instead of letting Boston funnel the ball to our worst & least confident shooters, I hope that Nurse will be able to make adjustments that generate higher quality shots.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,871

Post#1938 » by the_process » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:31 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Defensive rebounding is again our biggest issue, and a lot of that has to do with Tobias being our starting 4. The last several champions (LAL, MIL, DEN) all frequently played two legitimate bigs together.

Besides Lauri, I don't know what the solution might be but I really hope we don't go into the playoffs with Tobias as our starting 4. Seeing him next to Gordon the other night was another eye-opening reminder.

Agreed, yet I am still told time and time again how "valuable" Tobias is and that you can't break him apart into multiple rotation pieces.

Just salary dump Korkmaz and lose in the 1st/2nd round already then.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#1939 » by sodmoraes » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:40 pm

76ciology wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I’m referring to adding more talent to the top 2/3 guys of the team. We need more talent than Tobi as the third guy. Because of the inconsistency of Embiid’s presence.

We can’t just surround Maxey and Embiid with 3&D guys.

Maxey and Embiid have to play with someone who can help Maxey steal a playoff game or two in a playoff series against the Celtics. That player, IMO, should be good enough that Maxey could slip to become the third guy in some games.

Maybe there are other ways like surround Maxey and Embiid with Buddy Hield and Tobias Harris. Im also open to that.

Yep, we need another creator. Embiid is too inconsistent in the playoffs and Maxey is not that good as a iso scorer to deliver constantly in the playoffs. Lavine isnt a sure thing but he can score. 3 and D guys arent enough in our case.
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 857

Post#1940 » by zaz102 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:08 pm

the_process wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Defensive rebounding is again our biggest issue, and a lot of that has to do with Tobias being our starting 4. The last several champions (LAL, MIL, DEN) all frequently played two legitimate bigs together.

Agreed, yet I am still told time and time again how "valuable" Tobias is and that you can't break him apart into multiple rotation pieces.

Just salary dump Korkmaz and lose in the 1st/2nd round already then.
I went from trade Tobi to keep Tobi for the year. Not for what he brings to the table, but due to what his value (or lack thereof) seems to be across the league and how much he makes. Maybe Atlanta or Detroit get desperate enough to offer a decent package, but I just couldn't come up with one.

And if you're going after $20Mish player and the other team wants an expiring, I'd rather trade Morris instead of Tobi.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers