Re: SF76 Deadline Thread 

Post#2281 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:02 am

Aldrich would be a great pick for us.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2282 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:13 am

Every time I've watched Aldrich, I'm reminded of Vlade Divac. Who was a similar center. Only, unlike Divac Aldrich brings that superb rebounding and blocking game. He should be a TOP-3 PICK.

GM'S don't know much, Stefanski being a bright example.
radrmd216
Rookie
And1: 8

Post#2283 » by radrmd216 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:32 am

I like Aldrich, but he isn't having that great of a year. I like possibility of him playing along side Speights. Maybe Thad or Iggy could be traded for another lottery pick. Obviously there would be more pieces o a deal like that.

The consensus on the draft board seems to be that Aldrich could be an offensively capable Joel Przybilla.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#2284 » by Negrodamus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:33 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Since we don't have a second or an extra first, we're one and done. Thanks Ed Stefanski.

I don't have much hope in Meeks unless he improves his handles. He's small, unathletic and quite frankly Lapinski, Lou has proven to be a capable scorer in this league. Meeks is very raw and isn't that much younger then Williams. Meeks is a rotation player, more or less.

And the Lou bashing a bit is unfair, 5 Million is a great price for a guy that can be your sixth man.

Since we're one and done, our biggest need is a 2 guard, but unless we are a top-5 pick, we're not going to get Evan Turner, who is probably the best SG prospect in the draft right now.

Do you reach for Willie Warren? Like Meeks, he's 6'4. but he's very athletic. Think Rodney Stuckey. Nah, a combo guard/tweener is the last thing we need.

I LOVE Cole Aldrich, 7 footers that can post up, hit the mid-ranger, block shots and rebound are rare to find. I don't know why his stock is top-8 at best. it'll be a freaking steal if you can get a guy like that at 8th.

With all due respect, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Meeks is raw? If there is one thing I can say about him, it's that he isn't raw and knows the game very well. He knows how to get open and how to get his shots. I agree that he needs to work on his handles, but they aren't as terrible as people make them out to be. Not to mention he's not going to be a point guard for us. He's pretty good at driving and that should be the extent of his dribbling.

One thing I can't quite understand is you saying that Meeks is unathletic. Why? Is it because he's head doesn't touch the rim when he dunks? Does he need to throw down windmill dunks in games to be considered "athletic"? He is VERY quick and has a pretty good vert. He also can finish a contested shot. If thats not athletic, then I am sorely mistaken as to what the word means. No, he's not Lebron James. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw8z4Jrrk3k

And maybe this is the most telling difference between us. I HATE Cole Aldrich's game. Seriously guys, what is so special about this guys game? He has a high motor so I'll give him credit there. And he has pretty decent length. I don't see him as an incredibly skilled big man. You want to call Meeks unathletic, what do you call Aldrich?
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2285 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:43 am

Athleticism doesn't matter at the 5 position. Post play does, and Aldrich is a very good post player. Aldrich is a very solid pro. He's an NBA Starter, calling him Joel Pryzbilla is just selling him short.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#2286 » by Negrodamus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:47 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Athleticism doesn't matter at the 5 position. Post play does, and Aldrich is a very good post player. Aldrich is a very solid pro. He's an NBA Starter, calling him Joel Pryzbilla is just selling him short.

Funny, I thought athleticism mattered at all positions in the NBA. If you want to see something telling about Aldrich, look at his games against Texas and Baylor where he was almost a non factor because he was playing against future NBA players. I think he could be good, but I don't see him being much more than a Dalembert if that.
radrmd216
Rookie

Post#2287 » by radrmd216 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 am

An offensively capable version of Joel Pryzbilla is a pretty good player. Pryzbilla is one of the better defensive centers in the NBA. Also Aldrich knows his limits and that seems to be an underrated quality sometimes.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=959599&start=60
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#2288 » by Lapinski » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:15 am

If you want to see something telling about Aldrich, look at his games against Texas and Baylor where he was almost a non factor because he was playing against future NBA players. I think he could be good, but I don't see him being much more than a Dalembert if that.

Cole Aldrich is the Greg Ostertag of the 21st century.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#2289 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Yeah I never understood the whole "He's not athletic" complaints about players. It's laughable when some couch potato arm chair knowitall sports fan says that because I can promise that Jodie Meeks is more athletic than anybody that posts here. Also if a player didnt have athleticism they wouldn't be in the NBA. People say Steve Nash isn't athletic! Yet I can promise you that at 36 he's probably the best conditioned overall player in the NBA. Nash could be a boxer if he wanted to be. He's already a soccer player on the side. Steve Nash could probably run five miles without breaking a sweat. Thats an athlete.
All these players in the NBA that rely on their "athleticism" will fall fast after a few years unless they master the overall fundamentals of the game which seems to be what only the great ones do.
Shawn Kemp is classic example of a super athletic player that once his super jumping skills were gone he was worthless in the NBA.
The same thing will happen to players like Gerald Wallace, Josh Smith, and Rudy Gay unless they learn to adapt their games over the years.
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#2290 » by sec-106 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:46 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:
PhillyFan wrote:Will Meeks or Elson find minutes in Jordan's rotation?

Does Jordan really have a rotation? It just seems like a free-for-all mess to me.

Key word: Mess.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,954

Post#2291 » by Foshan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 pm

If we pick Aldrich I won't watch next season either. That would be a big waste of a pick. Think Eric Montross. And I'll volentarily make this my Sig if he ends up being legit and we pass on him... but please please no to Aldrich.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#2292 » by doctor him » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Foshan wrote:If we pick Aldrich I won't watch next season either. That would be a big waste of a pick. Think Eric Montross. And I'll volentarily make this my Sig if he ends up being legit and we pass on him... but please please no to Aldrich.

No...I think Aldrich is quite a bit more athletic than Montross who really wasn't mobile at all.

Aldrich can move and he appears to be a defensive force not to the level of an Oden, but he'll be able to more than hold his own.

If the Prybilla with more offense comparison doesn't move you then I'll try a different one.

Think Tyson Chandler with a more natural feel for basketball.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,954

Post#2293 » by Foshan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:24 pm

see, you may be right, but what little i've seen of him play, just doesn't make me think dominant C of the future.

I mean I think a guy like L.Sanders has a better NBA career than Aldrich.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#2294 » by doctor him » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Foshan wrote:see, you may be right, but what little i've seen of him play, just doesn't make me think dominant C of the future.

I mean I think a guy like L.Sanders has a better NBA career than Aldrich.

I don't think he'll be dominant, but I do see him as being a solid starter.

IMHO...I think Sanders is a completely different player. I don't think he's gonna be an NBA 5, so I don't see him ever being a starter. I just think that he's painfully thin and I haven't seen where he even could take his offense away from the basket enough to be a factor at the 4.

But...I've seen precious little of Sanders so I'm not in a decent position to make a true call on him.
Kevin12
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2295 » by Kevin12 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:23 pm

People are doubting Cole Aldrich for the same things that caused Brook Lopez to drop to 10th overall.

LOL.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#2296 » by LongLiveHinkie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Not a big Aldrich fan.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 18,030

Post#2297 » by Mik317 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:23 pm

Kevin12 wrote:People are doubting Cole Aldrich for the same things that caused Brook Lopez to drop to 10th overall.

LOL.

5 Wins
#NeverGonnaBeGood
sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#2298 » by sweetlou23 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:23 pm

All these players in the NBA that rely on their "athleticism" will fall fast after a few years unless they master the overall fundamentals of the game which seems to be what only the great ones do.
Shawn Kemp is classic example of a super athletic player that once his super jumping skills were gone he was worthless in the NBA.

sorry, couldn't let the kemp comment pass. kemp was a very skilled player

Kemp was a phreaking monster for seven plus years. If whomever you are talking about can be kemp in his prime for 3 or 4, you have to take him. in case you forgot....

stats
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... psh01.html

visual
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQbUastCD5E
radrmd216
Rookie

Post#2299 » by radrmd216 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:56 am

People are definitely underrating having a quality center that stays within his limits. Aldrich plays good defense. He should be able to be a pretty decent defender early on in his career.

Hopefully Aldrich will drop if the Sixers have a later lottery pick or if they can acquire a second lottery pick. In a few months we will be talking a lot about Aldrich among a other players, so we can get much more in depth then.
is1531
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#2300 » by is1531 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:44 pm

At this point of the season, since the 76ers didn't make a major trade, the only thing I need to know is, will the 76ers buy an extra ist round pick or trade for one. I can just picture ES saying in June, we tried to get an extra pick, but were unable to do so. I am sick and tired on the ES con games. :D

Return to Philadelphia 76ers