ImageImageImage

Tom Moore 3.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

smssjp20
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Tom Moore 3.0 

Post#2721 » by smssjp20 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 12:10 am

tmoore wrote:Jordan after the Denver game: "We're just beginning to go uptown. You never know where this can take us. We hope it gets us going."

EJ has to get into New York more often. The NBA Draft is held in midtown.
"Suddenly Moscow is Pro-Rocky!"
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#2722 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 5, 2010 1:52 am

Excuse me for being blunt, but Jordan needs to shut up about 'going uptown.' Our last two wins were against opponents missing their best two players, and we did just about everything we could to relinquish that 4th quarter lead last night vs. Denver. In between our last two wins, we played about as pitiful as we have all year against the Clippers. Seriously, who's he kidding?

Nothing against Willie Green, but he played as much as Holiday and Speights combined in last night's game. We need to define the roles on this squad already and carve out some kind of minute distribution that we can stick to consistently. This whole thing where EJ goes with what he feels on any given night obviously isn't working. Thad also only got 22 minutes of action. We aren't going to go uptown without any sense of order in the rotation, especially when its at the expense of the progression of our core players going forward. Jordan also doesn't seem to grasp the concept of not being able to go uptown without any attention being paid to the defensive side of the ball.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#2723 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 2:06 am

So what would be E.J. dream roster? And I'm only being partly disingenuous...

Maybe the Wizards roster but with Brad Miller in place of Haywood and Ripinstead of Butler?

I'll try:

Love
Jamison
Rip
Arenas
AI

How many games does that team win in E.J.s system?
tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Post#2724 » by tmoore » Tue Jan 5, 2010 2:29 pm

Am told there's "nothing" to a report in today's Cleveland Plain-Dealer that says the Sixers among the teams trying to shed some salary. The idea would be to trade a player with a guaranteed contract for one without a guarantee (like the Jazz did with Eric Maynor for Jason Hart) and then waive the non-guaranteed guy by Wednesday's deadline. Rodney Carney, Royal Ivey and Primoz Brezec are Sixers with one-year guarantees for their respective veterans' minimums. With Iverson, who is expected to be picked up for the rest of the season, the Sixers have 14 players under contract.
steveb21
Pro Prospect
And1: 123

Post#2725 » by steveb21 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 3:46 pm

Tom, have you heard if anything is brewing between the Jazz & the Sixers? It looks like they're ready to deal. I've even seen some interest in Brand from posters on their board. I guess the centerpiece of any deal with them would be Boozer and his expiring contract...
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2726 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 3:57 pm

steveb21 wrote:Tom, have you heard if anything is brewing between the Jazz & the Sixers? It looks like they're ready to deal. I've even seen some interest in Brand from posters on their board. I guess the centerpiece of any deal with them would be Boozer and his expiring contract...

Hard to make a deal when both teams want to dump salary more than anything. The Sixers need a team willing to take on salary, no a fellow seller.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#2727 » by dbodner » Tue Jan 5, 2010 4:13 pm

Yeah. the only real long term deals they have (besides deron) are millsap and okur. I would assume millsap is the one piece they'd be looking to keep (or, at least, not trade as a straight salary dump).

You could probably get them to trade Kirilenko for a deal of the same length (Sammy + useful player), but not sure we'd want to do that.

Maybe something like Green, Kapono and Williams for Kirilenko? I can't see Utah wanting Williams. But could you imagine Jrue/Iguodala/Kirilenko/Brand/Dalembert defensively? With any coach with a clue that would be a top 5 defensive team.

Which means we'd probably be around 20th.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Post#2728 » by tmoore » Tue Jan 5, 2010 4:48 pm

steveb21 wrote:Tom, have you heard if anything is brewing between the Jazz & the Sixers? It looks like they're ready to deal. I've even seen some interest in Brand from posters on their board. I guess the centerpiece of any deal with them would be Boozer and his expiring contract...

Haven't heard anything about the Jazz and Sixers. Not sure why Utah would want Brand for Boozer, plus Jazz is trying to deal Kirilenko (this year and one more).
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2729 » by dbodner » Tue Jan 5, 2010 5:42 pm

Maybe this would help both teams financial situation ?

Options with Utah are limited.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#2730 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 5, 2010 5:43 pm

I'd be on board with dbodner's idea to package Green, Kapono, and Lou for Kirilenko. His contract is big, but it also expires at the same time as Dalembert's which would give us more options that summer. Jrue, Iguodala, Kirilenko, Brand, Sam would be rock solid defensively, but I'm sure EJ would make a point to never play them all together.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2731 » by dbodner » Tue Jan 5, 2010 5:49 pm

The problem with that (besides I'm not sure if they'd take on Williams long-term contract), the Sixers would be increasing their salary for next year, and we're already over the projected luxury tax amount.
Mojo7
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#2732 » by Mojo7 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 5:50 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:I'd be on board with dbodner's idea to package Green, Kapono, and Lou for Kirilenko. His contract is big, but it also expires at the same time as Dalembert's which would give us more options that summer. Jrue, Iguodala, Kirilenko, Brand, Sam would be rock solid defensively, but I'm sure EJ would make a point to never play them all together.

Shoot, that unit, coached by Thibs, could hold teams to 1st half college hoops scores on the regular
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2733 » by dbodner » Tue Jan 5, 2010 6:01 pm

updated the article to include a permutation of the Green + Kapono + Williams deal that could work for both teams. My primary focus on both teams is financial, with the Sixers goal being to decrease committed salary for next year, and the Jazz goal to decrease comitted salary this year.
sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#2734 » by sweetlou23 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 6:07 pm

dbodner wrote:Yeah. the only real long term deals they have (besides deron) are millsap and okur. I would assume millsap is the one piece they'd be looking to keep (or, at least, not trade as a straight salary dump).

You could probably get them to trade Kirilenko for a deal of the same length (Sammy + useful player), but not sure we'd want to do that.

Maybe something like Green, Kapono and Williams for Kirilenko? I can't see Utah wanting Williams. But could you imagine Jrue/Iguodala/Kirilenko/Brand/Dalembert defensively? With any coach with a clue that would be a top 5 defensive team.

That can't score. :roll:
sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#2735 » by sweetlou23 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 6:11 pm

dbodner wrote:The problem with that (besides I'm not sure if they'd take on Williams long-term contract), the Sixers would be increasing their salary for next year, and we're already over the projected luxury tax amount.

Lou has three years left on a 5 mil deal. hardly a contract problem. Also, they could trade lou with ease. Geeze where do you come up with this garbage?
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2736 » by tk76 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 6:30 pm

A reasonable lateral move. Doubt either team would be all that motivated to make that deal. Sloan might kill Sam before his deal expires. Kapono and Lou are not exactly Sloan type players either.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#2737 » by The Sixer Fixer » Tue Jan 5, 2010 6:43 pm

Sam might not be a Sloan type of guy, but that team really needs a defensive oriented center if they want to go anywhere. The trio of Okur, Boozer and Millsap are all pretty weak defensively.

What about something centered around Okur and Korver for Sam? Maybe add other smaller pieces to allow Utah to save more $$ this year. For us, we take on an additional year of Okur (over Sam), but we get savings next year with Korver's expiring deal. Plus, Okur might be the type of center who would fit well here (if we aren't going to play Sam more minutes for D purposes anyhow). Okur is a good outside shooter who might help spread the floor for others.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#2738 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue Jan 5, 2010 8:05 pm

Why not merely switch the lineup?

C-Jason Smith
PF-Elton Brand
SF-Andre Iguodala
SG-Rodney Carney
PG-Jrue Holiday
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#2739 » by bigdavid » Tue Jan 5, 2010 9:00 pm

Why are we so anxious to get rid of Sam? If we had a coach who knows what he is doing Sam could be a double double machine, even with all his faults. Sams contract expires next year then you will see lots of interest in him.

I would like to see us bring back Moses Malone to coach Sam. That seemed to work out well in the past.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#2740 » by agiaco » Tue Jan 5, 2010 9:27 pm

dbodner wrote:With any coach with a clue that would be a top 5 defensive team.

haha so true

Return to Philadelphia 76ers