Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft 

Post#501 » by stormi » Wed May 15, 2024 12:38 am

Read on Twitter

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/baylor-scheierman-1.html

Pick 41 please. The shooting off the move ability caught my eye.

6'7 with that mobility, foot speed, FT%, shooting on the move, rebounding numbers, assist rate, BPM, declining turnover rate every season.

Based on his numbers he's been draftable since his Sophomore season.

Could see him contributing to winning on day 1.

Scheierman, Council and Ingram... We've finally got a bundle of young wings...
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,211

Post#502 » by mjkvol » Wed May 15, 2024 12:48 am

stormi wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/baylor-scheierman-1.html

Pick 41 please. The shooting off the move ability caught my eye.

6'7 with that mobility, foot speed, FT%, shooting on the move, rebounding numbers, assist rate, BPM, declining turnover rate every season.

Based on his numbers he's been draftable since his Sophomore season.

Could see him contributing to winning on day 1.

Scheierman, Council and Ingram... We've finally got a bundle of young wings...

This kid is a gamer who will make a lot of teams regret passing on him. Totally agree that he's a contributor right out of the gate.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,643

Post#503 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:15 am

I’d be obsessed with us drafting Tristan da Silva if he were a better rebounder.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,623

Post#504 » by Iverson Armband » Wed May 15, 2024 1:26 am

I think a very nice player is going to fall to us at #16.

Just have to hope Morey still has the pick. Not likely.
always a jump shot away.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,869

Post#505 » by 76ciology » Wed May 15, 2024 3:42 am

The Pistons, Hornets, Blazers, and Grizzlies already have a logjam at the guard positions and are slotted at the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th spots, respectively. Meanwhile, guards like Topic, Castle, Dillingham, and Sheppard are projected to be available at those spots.

There’s a good chance for a trade or for Knecht, Salaun, Jakobe, Cody, and Holland to be drafted much earlier than projected. This could result in players like Edey or Filipowski making a surprise appearance around the late lottery. Additionally, teams like the Kings, OKC, Bulls, and Blazers all have young, promising guards.

Therefore, there’s a strong possibility that Isaiah Collier, currently projected for the late lottery, could slide to us.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#506 » by 76ciology » Wed May 15, 2024 7:41 am

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

If Grizz keeps their pick, i see Edey as replacement to Steven Adams. He’s perfect for their team with another rim protector who can space the floor in Jaren Jackson.

Another team is OKC. They almost drafted Giannis in 2013 when Presti called Ferry pre draft.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,643

Post#507 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:17 pm

Jaylon Tyson also intrigues me as a do it all player with size.

I’m surprisingly excited about the talent available at 16 but this feels like the least stable draft in a while. It will be very interesting to see how the back half of the first round plays out.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,628

Post#508 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed May 15, 2024 3:49 pm

Here's a hot take and you all can roast me for it all you want. Here goes: Zach Edey will have a better career than Donovan Clingan.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#509 » by mjkvol » Wed May 15, 2024 8:06 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Here's a hot take and you all can roast me for it all you want. Here goes: Zach Edey will have a better career than Donovan Clingan.

Disagree. Clingan is only 20 and is already superior to Edey at every aspect of the game except low post offense. Edey's game is suited for 40-50 years ago, and it is what it is.

Clingan is already an elite rim protector, and his mobility will make him tougher to run P&R against. Edey spent his college career camped under the basket. Offensively, Clingan is a lob threat and already a solid passer, and can run the floor. If he can develop a couple of post moves and a mid-range jumper, he's a perfect 5 for today's game.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#510 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed May 15, 2024 8:14 pm

mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Here's a hot take and you all can roast me for it all you want. Here goes: Zach Edey will have a better career than Donovan Clingan.

Disagree. Clingan is only 20 and is already superior to Edey at every aspect of the game except low post offense. Edey's game is suited for 40-50 years ago, and it is what it is.

Clingan is already an elite rim protector, and his mobility will make him tougher to run P&R against. Edey spent his college career camped under the basket. Offensively, Clingan is a lob threat and already a solid passer, and can run the floor. If he can develop a couple of post moves and a mid-range jumper, he's a perfect 5 for today's game.

Point taken, but I do think Edey is going to be a decent center in this league. Another big man right now that I like that doesn't seem to be getting any mention is Hunter Dickinson from Kansas. If he's available with our second pick, I'd be all for drafting him. There's a lot to like about his game.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#511 » by mjkvol » Wed May 15, 2024 8:16 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Point taken, but I do think Edey is going to be a decent center in this league. Another big man right now that I like that doesn't seem to be getting any mention is Hunter Dickinson from Kansas. If he's available with our second pick, I'd be all for drafting him. There's a lot to like about his game.

I'd love to see Dickinson as the backup 5 here. He's got a bit of a nasty edge, as well.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,276

Post#512 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 15, 2024 10:49 pm

I would take Hunter Dickinson as an UFA.

He'll always be a liability defending in space, but he's a PPG beast. Really smart player with good passing.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#513 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 15, 2024 11:13 pm

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/40145516/illinois-terrence-shannon-jr-understands-seriousness-rape-charge

In his first public comments ahead of his June sexual assault trial, former Illinois star Terrence Shannon Jr. said Tuesday during the NBA draft combine that he understands the "serious" charges against him.

Shannon, once projected as a first-round pick, is being scrutinized as a potential NBA prospect, which could depend on the outcome of his June 10 trial for felony rape and felony aggravated sexual assault charges. Last year, a woman accused Shannon of sexually penetrating her with his fingers at a bar in Lawrence, Kansas.

Shannon was arrested, charged and suspended by Illinois amid a school investigation in December. After missing six games, however, Shannon received a temporary restraining order from a federal judge and returned to the court for the rest of the season. The school dropped its investigation in April.

"I'm looking forward to my day in court," he said.

A Kansas judge decided last week at Shannon's preliminary hearing that there is sufficient probable cause for Shannon to stand trial. Shannon entered a not guilty plea at the hearing.

On Tuesday, Shannon said he's invested in the NBA draft process and the work attached to it. At the combine, Shannon added that he's the best "two-way" player in the draft.

"Obviously, it's a real serious accusation and I'm aware of that and I can't go much into detail about it, but I'm just focused on what I can control and that's basketball and what I do on the court, in the weight room, with my family," he told WCIA in Champaign, Illinois.

The accuser in the case found Shannon through a Google search after the incident and then told local police, who then filed a warrant for Shannon's arrest in December.

At the time, Shannon was a projected first-round pick in next month's NBA draft. His lawyers said his June rape trial will conclude before the draft on June 26-27.

Before Shannon's preliminary hearing last week, his attorneys requested that the DNA evidence in the case not be admissible in the trial. They also said, via statement, the judge ruling that the trial will move forward has no bearing on Shannon's guilt or innocence in the case.

Shannon said he can't control people's opinions of him, as he faces serious charges. He also said he's "fine" mentally.

"I feel like people are going to have their opinion of me no matter what," Shannon said Tuesday. "No matter what you're going through or if you're not going through anything. You can't let other people's opinions affect you."
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#514 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu May 16, 2024 1:09 am

mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I'd love to see Dickinson as the backup 5 here. He's got a bit of a nasty edge, as well.

Underrated shooter. He can hit from deep. There's no way this guy won't get drafted. A late second round would be my guess, but the fact that he can stretch the floor makes it almost automatic that he gets picked.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#515 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2024 3:05 am

mjkvol wrote:

I've been thinking about this.

Aren't Gobert, Zubac, Brook Lopez, Steven Adams, Jonas Valanciunas, Walker Kessler, Jokic, and Embiid also playing heavy drop or camping a lot on defense?

I think it was an issue several seasons ago when Mozgov was surprised against the Warriors’ small ball or Gobert repeatedly exposed on defense with the Jazz. Eventually, teams found ways for bigs to play drop defense. One scheme involves using players like Batum and Oubre to chase ball handlers off the screen. Another involves a big (Embiid against the Knicks) switching to a non-participant in the two-man game to avoid switching to Brunson and leaving the paint. Teams also use zone defenses (or shading the two man action like how Lowry did) or play with a secondary rim protector at power forward, like Jaren Jackson, Chet, or Evan Mobley so someone can rotate to the paint if the big is out at the perimeter.

Additionally, it seems like Edey’s mobility has improved and his movement is coordinated not like giants we’ve seen like Gheorge Muresan or Shawn Bradley.

If you look at the trend of the game and how the league is evolving, it seems to be pivoting away from small ball. You now see double bigs more often and fewer tweeners at power forward and very few small ball centers (is Sabonis the only one?). If the league will allow this much physicality, it could help him to stay in front of his man while he can lead the league on ORebs and put back points.

The reason I'm contemplating this is that I'm very tempted to have Edey at the top of my mock draft. I believe that if you can address his defensive issues and find a way to build around him, he can be a franchise player. He would be easier to build around compared to some players who can't dominate on offense or some perimeter players who can't shoot.

Yes, he’s 22 but he’s already proven capable of being dominant. And its a breathe of fresh air to find someone who is this tall, talented and durable.

[x]
Read on Twitter
76ciology
RealGM

Post#516 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2024 12:56 pm

76ciology wrote:The Pistons, Hornets, Blazers, and Grizzlies already have a logjam at the guard positions and are slotted at the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th spots, respectively. Meanwhile, guards like Topic, Castle, Dillingham, and Sheppard are projected to be available at those spots.

There’s a good chance for a trade or for Knecht, Salaun, Jakobe, Cody, and Holland to be drafted much earlier than projected. This could result in players like Edey or Filipowski making a surprise appearance around the late lottery. Additionally, teams like the Kings, OKC, Bulls, and Blazers all have young, promising guards.

Therefore, there’s a strong possibility that Isaiah Collier, currently projected for the late lottery, could slide to us.

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/sixers-nba-draft-combine-isaiah-collier-tyrese-maxey-20240516.html?utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=edit_social_share_twitter_traffic&utm_medium=social&utm_content=&utm_term=&int_promo=
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#517 » by Kobblehead » Thu May 16, 2024 1:42 pm

I would be ecstatic if we landed Collier.

I think he would immediately provide tremendous value off our bench, with his ruthless aggression and relentless rim pressure.

With some coaching up on defensive fundamentals and some shooting improvement, he could slide in as a great longterm backcourt running mate with Maxey.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#518 » by mjkvol » Thu May 16, 2024 2:42 pm

76ciology wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

I've been thinking about this.

Aren't Gobert, Zubac, Brook Lopez, Steven Adams, Jonas Valanciunas, Walker Kessler, Jokic, and Embiid also playing heavy drop or camping a lot on defense?

I think it was an issue several seasons ago when Mozgov was surprised against the Warriors’ small ball or Gobert repeatedly exposed on defense with the Jazz. Eventually, teams found ways for bigs to play drop defense. One scheme involves using players like Batum and Oubre to chase ball handlers off the screen. Another involves a big (Embiid against the Knicks) switching to a non-participant in the two-man game to avoid switching to Brunson and leaving the paint. Teams also use zone defenses (or shading the two man action like how Lowry did) or play with a secondary rim protector at power forward, like Jaren Jackson, Chet, or Evan Mobley so someone can rotate to the paint if the big is out at the perimeter.

Additionally, it seems like Edey’s mobility has improved and his movement is coordinated not like giants we’ve seen like Gheorge Muresan or Shawn Bradley.

If you look at the trend of the game and how the league is evolving, it seems to be pivoting away from small ball. You now see double bigs more often and fewer tweeners at power forward and very few small ball centers (is Sabonis the only one?). If the league will allow this much physicality, it could help him to stay in front of his man while he can lead the league on ORebs and put back points.

The reason I'm contemplating this is that I'm very tempted to have Edey at the top of my mock draft. I believe that if you can address his defensive issues and find a way to build around him, he can be a franchise player. He would be easier to build around compared to some players who can't dominate on offense or some perimeter players who can't shoot.

Yes, he’s 22 but he’s already proven capable of being dominant. And its a breathe of fresh air to find someone who is this tall, talented and durable.

[x]
Read on Twitter

Solid arguments. To me, there are a lot of 'ifs' that come with drafting Edey, while Clingan comes in as a mobile, elite rim protector and lob threat from day one who only needs to refine his offensive game, which already shows promise.

I have no doubt that Edey will have a career in the league and is a worthy 1st round pick to, as you pointed out a team like Memphis, but I'm not sure a team is going to dedicate its scheme around a player like him. If he drastically improved his passing and could develop a passable mid-range game, it might be different.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#519 » by mjkvol » Thu May 16, 2024 2:48 pm

76ciology wrote:Aren't Gobert, Zubac, Brook Lopez, Steven Adams, Jonas Valanciunas, Walker Kessler, Jokic, and Embiid also playing heavy drop or camping a lot on defense?

But while playing that way is a proven regular season strategy when teams are a lot more vanilla on offense, it hasn't translated to winning in the playoffs for the most part. Minnesota was a dominant defense anchored around Gobert all season, and looked like they were going to steamroll the Nuggets, but their most impressive win was without Gobert, and Denver has adjusted and we're seeing the results, even before Jokic's otherworldly performance.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#520 » by 76ciology » Thu May 16, 2024 3:22 pm

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:Aren't Gobert, Zubac, Brook Lopez, Steven Adams, Jonas Valanciunas, Walker Kessler, Jokic, and Embiid also playing heavy drop or camping a lot on defense?

But while playing that way is a proven regular season strategy when teams are a lot more vanilla on offense, it hasn't translated to winning in the playoffs for the most part. Minnesota was a dominant defense anchored around Gobert all season, and looked like they were going to steamroll the Nuggets, but their most impressive win was without Gobert, and Denver has adjusted and we're seeing the results, even before Jokic's otherworldly performance.

Before everything, I’d like to say that I like Clingan and consider him top 3 pick material in this draft. I liked Clingan since last year when I wondered why he didn't declare for the draft, as he was already a lottery material. His gamble eventually paid off; he might be a top 3 to 5 pick this season, which he wouldn't have been last season. Bigs need to be in a very supportive environment, so it’s crucial where they land and how much the team will support them.

As Tim McMahon said, if Gobert can’t stop Jokic, nobody can in the entire playoffs. Actually, Gobert is playing great defense on Jokic; Jokic is just an all-time great caliber talent. He is among the best of the best, winning his 3rd MVP in 4 years.

On a related note, what if Gobert could play close to this level of defense and also punish smaller defenders? What if he could draw fouls and get Jokic into foul trouble? Wouldn’t the gap be smaller? I think Edey can do that.

Regarding Edey’s defense, I think it’s a deficiency that a team can hide with schemes and roster makeup, like Gobert’s case of being surrounded by lengthy wings and another big at the 4. It’s controllable.

It’s more controllable than Risacher developing his on-ball scoring skillset or Topic and Sheppard developing an explosive scorer mentality and skillset.

But yeah, it will take a lot of guts for a GM to take Edey with the number one pick. But for someone who doesn’t have a skin in the game like me, I’m willing to take that risk.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers