Re: G54: Sixers v Heat 2/14 7pm ET 

Post#63 » by phillynative » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:25 am

The dumber team lost as i expected
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,408

Post#64 » by Murray_17 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:25 am

Murray_17 wrote:It was dumb for Nurse to keep Maxey there for the defensive position when he still had 1 TO

He actually did it two times :lol:

The first one was the crucial one tho, Maxey lost JJ Jr because he was ball watching
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#65 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:25 am

PAYNE! YOU HAVE TO GO GET THE BALL! JESUS CHRIST MAN! YOU STOOD THERE AND WATCHED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#66 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:26 am

This game is on bad Maxey defense
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,342

Post#67 » by Arsenal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:27 am

Hopefully that’s the end of games missing 6 or 7 guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,854

Post#68 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:32 am

Poor effort to grab the rebound on the last defensive possession. However, the Heat were able to score at will with the Herro-Bam two-man game, which led us to that situation. We found ourselves trailing and had to trap Herro to prevent him from running that two-man game, which in turn left us scrambling on defense and unable to box out Heat players grabbing rebounds, such as the Jaime Jaquez putback and the game-winning offensive rebound by Bam.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,842

Post#69 » by phillynative » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:34 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:PAYNE! YOU HAVE TO GO GET THE BALL! JESUS CHRIST MAN! YOU STOOD THERE AND WATCHED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead:
Him and KJ
:crazy:

Atleast we have the comfort of knowing they are 3rd stringers.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#70 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:34 am

OK...So we defend it perfectly to end the game! Tyler Herro panics and puts up a prayer, KJ Martin boxes out Bam Adebayo...At the very instant the ball was released, guys have to look to box out and be in position to rebound. Cameron Payne was on an ISLAND by himself just watching the basketball! This is going to continue to be our downfall...Rebounding and giving up open threes. With that said, I'm happy with the effort. Our guys battled and that's all you can ask for.

Some hot takes,
Buddy Hield is a nice passer, he can make some plays, but I don't want him initiating the offense and trying to score off the dribble in the fourth quarter when the game is tight. It's not what he does, that's not who he is. He had a bad turnover late in the game trying to do just a bit too much. Not complaining about Hield at all. He was just trying to do too much. $hit happens all the time. So far, he's been better than advertised. He keeps this up and we're going to need to pay him.

Paul Reed...He was great, he fought hard against Bam...Bam is a known dirty player but I didn't see anything malicious tonight. For the love of God though Reed! When you get switched on to Duncan Robinson you have to GO UP and guard him. Reed continues to do this on switches, giving shooters a cushion as if they are drivers and he gets burned every time. Duncan the prick Robinsons is not going to drive on you. Get in his grill and make him a passer.

Tyrese Maxey had a nice game. He dropped thirty tonight, but the biggest part of the game Miami contained him. Hats off to the Miami defense as they didn't allow 4th quarter Maxey tonight. All good. Get em next time.

Once Kelly Oubre quits attacking the basket, he becomes a full zero out there on the floor. I think his confidence sky rockets when he attacks the basket and scores. It usually leads to him shooting the ball better and defending better. Once he quits attacking he turns into bad Oubre. Tonight he was bad Oubre.

I have one final question...
Why did the offense just suddenly die late in the 4th? I don't understand that. We weren't even attempting to set any screens, we didn't run one pick and roll, it just got stagnant. Was that a testament to Miami's defense or did we just get stumped on how to score on them?
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#71 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:39 am

phillynative wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:PAYNE! YOU HAVE TO GO GET THE BALL! JESUS CHRIST MAN! YOU STOOD THERE AND WATCHED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead:
Him and KJ
:crazy:

Atleast we have the comfort of knowing they are 3rd stringers.

Dude, you know me. I'm a KJ Stan, but he's got to do better. He's got to use his God given athletic ability. I know he tried to box out Bam and for the most part he did. I was more angry at Payne for just standing there watching things go down. Payne was frustrating tonight. Jacking up shot after shot in the third and laying nothing but masonry all but evaporated the cushion of a lead we had when Maxey was shelved for a few minutes. I like Cameron Payne, but am I overreacting when I say that I've already seen enough? I'd rather see Terquavian Smith over Payne. He plays better defense, he has some length to him as well. Payne is serviceable, but he needs to be on a short leash if he's bricking shots.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#72 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:41 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I have one final question...
Why did the offense just suddenly die late in the 4th? I don't understand that. We weren't even attempting to set any screens, we didn't run one pick and roll, it just got stagnant. Was that a testament to Miami's defense or did we just get stumped on how to score on them?

Because we usually initiate our offense with a two-man game involving Hield and Maxey, or one of Maxey or Hield with Reed, once it's denied and the Heat can switch, we then dump it to Oubre, KJ, or Council to bully the weak defender. We successfully executed this strategy against Merrill and Niang in the last game. However, the difference tonight is that the Heat played zone defense, making it not as easy to bully these weak defenders in this game.

What we probably need is someone who can bully these weak defenders one-on-one without needing to take it to the paint, attract help defense, and then kick it out to Maxey or Hield at the perimeter, or a slasher to the rim. A better or an alternative bail out option.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Murray_17
RealGM

Post#73 » by Murray_17 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:45 am

76ciology wrote:
Because we usually initiate our offense with a two-man game involving Hield and Maxey, or one of Maxey or Hield with Reed, once it's denied and the Heat can switch, we then dump it to Oubre, KJ, or Council to bully the weak defender. We successfully executed this strategy against Merrill and Niang in the last game. However, the difference tonight is that the Heat played zone defense, making it not as easy to bully these weak defenders in this game.

What we probably need is someone who can bully these weak defenders one-on-one without needing to take it to the paint, attract help defense, and then kick it out to Maxey or Hield at the perimeter, or a slasher to the rim. A better or an alternative bail out option.

Ehh i don''t think this is the issue, they were playing zone the entire game and Maxey was getting to the basket easily.

They played zone and blitzed the ball when Maxey and Hield had it in the fourth. Which is why a lot of our offense ended with Reed attacking the basket
76ciology
RealGM

Post#74 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:50 am

Murray_17 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Ehh i don''t think this is the issue, they were playing zone the entire game and Maxey was getting to the basket easily.

They played zone and blitzed the ball when Maxey and Hield had it in the fourth. Which is why a lot of our offense ended with Reed attacking the basket

After Maxey&Hield, we dont have an alternative aside from dumping it to Reed or those wing slashers and the paint was too clogged for them to score, these guys are more straight line drive scorers with no mid range game.
Murray_17
RealGM

Post#75 » by Murray_17 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:52 am

76ciology wrote:
After Maxey&Hield, we dont have an alternative aside from dumping it to Reed or those wing slashers and the paint was too clogged for them to score.

Yeah, but happened when you add the blitz to the zone, not by the zone in itself.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#76 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:53 am

76ciology wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I have one final question...

Yeah, like Joel Embiid.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#77 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:54 am

Here's the thing with the zone defense. We were breaking that in the first half by having our bigs flash mid range with a wide open shot. Not sure why we went away from that.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,342

Post#78 » by Arsenal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:55 am

I already can’t stand Jacquez. Really hope we have a healthy squad at some point to pound those guys.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,596

Post#79 » by youngcrev » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:56 am

They win that one if Tobias plays because that will trigger people.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#80 » by 76ciology » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:21 am

We ran the initial action that led to a 2v1 in the paint, but the two players mostly involved were Reed and KJ Martin. Bam stayed in the paint, challenging them to take the shot. Reed even was forced to take one shot at FT line area and missed. And if one of them drove, Jacquez or Highsmith crashed into the paint to provide help.

It got frustrating that Maxey and Hield decided to take it on their own against multiple defenders against the zone defense.

At the 9-minute mark, there was a possession where we had Hield at the free-throw line with Council and Oubre at the wings, but the defense clogged the FT line and paint area, challenging Council and Oubre to take those shots.

This game highlighted the downside of having two non-floor spacers at the 4 and 5 positions. However, don't worry, it won't be the case after the break once Batum returns and eventually Embiid returns.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers