ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,372

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#761 » by Arsenal » Wed May 8, 2024 1:21 pm

Stanford wrote:If the Heat don't want Jimmy Butler, he's not worth having. That's a good organization.

They do want him. They just don't want to give him an extension. Which I agree is problematic but we'd be hoping for 2 more good years and it will probably be a toxic contract in year 3, but at least it will be expiring.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#762 » by Arsenal » Wed May 8, 2024 1:26 pm

I would not be surprised if Morey is spreading these Jimmy rumors to provide leverage with Paul George (or others). Let him know we have other options.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,586

Post#763 » by SixthStreet » Wed May 8, 2024 1:47 pm

Morey didn't max Harden last offseason. I don't see how it makes any sense that he'd do the same for a much worse player in George. Two factors that do make it more likely are that Embiid is one year older and this is a use it or lose it cap space year but George is a lot less impactful to winning than Harden.

I find it far more likely that he trades for Butler. Butler at least has proven to be a better playoff performer than Harden in the last 4-5 years.

I'd rather sign or trade for 3 guys in the 20m range than Butler or George, and then have the optionality to trade those guys with the draft picks at the deadline or later when a star shakes loose.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 493

Post#764 » by PhillyFan11 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:49 pm

Arsenal wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
My hope is that Morey isn't as desperately "it's now or never" as some of the fan base seems to be. You would think that people would have learned by now that buying high on aging and declining players and acting in panic are two primary reasons that bad franchises remain that way.

If we're constantly making moves in fear of Embiid getting disgruntled and 'asking out' (something he has never done, contrary to national media reports of vague comments), then there's little chance it's ever going to work out anyway. I think he's smarter and has more foresight than we give him credit for.

While I agree on not going after the aging vets…I dont see Embiid getting disgruntled as the problem. I think it has a lot more to do with putting a championship roster on the court before Embiid is physically unable to play. What’s a realistic window for prime Embiid? Feels like 2 more years is about it.
But yes, there is definitely a fine line between putting the best possible team on the court and completely mortgaging the future.

Panicing about "Embiid's window" is what got these idiots into this mess. That's what leads to braindead trades and contracts for guys like Tobias Harris.

We need to take a patient and measured approach. Additionall, we now have another star who is only 23 years old that can serve as the foundation after Embiid starts declining.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that picking the wrong players to invest in was the actual problem.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#765 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed May 8, 2024 3:26 pm

Brandon Ingram gives us a future and a co star . Westbrook is the best pairing for Maxey as the other starting guard.

Oubre also must be resigned because he's our best role player and our only legit wing

Everybody else can go.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#766 » by Arsenal » Wed May 8, 2024 3:37 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Morey didn't max Harden last offseason. I don't see how it makes any sense that he'd do the same for a much worse player in George. Two factors that do make it more likely are that Embiid is one year older and this is a use it or lose it cap space year but George is a lot less impactful to winning than Harden.

I find it far more likely that he trades for Butler. Butler at least has proven to be a better playoff performer than Harden in the last 4-5 years.

I'd rather sign or trade for 3 guys in the 20m range than Butler or George, and then have the optionality to trade those guys with the draft picks at the deadline or later when a star shakes loose.

Generally agree with your logic however it's not correct that PG is a worse player than Harden. He's a better player as shown by his impact metrics this year, and a better fit as we desperately need a wing. That doesn't mean he's worth the MAX, but he's worth more than Harden was.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,734

Post#767 » by FireMorey » Wed May 8, 2024 3:47 pm

I didn't watch a ton of Clips games, but Clippers fans swear that Harden was better than him this year. I honestly trust that more than the metrics. The eye test always supersedes all. It should be noteworthy that most Clippers fans do not want him back. I just get really bad vibes for a PG signing. Hopefully he re-signs so it's not a concern and it forces Morey to be more creative(if he's even capable, which I question).
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,158

Post#768 » by Negrodamus » Wed May 8, 2024 4:36 pm

Read on Twitter

Keep him. I'd rather just use our cap space on free agents.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#769 » by FireMorey » Wed May 8, 2024 4:38 pm

That's Miami leaking stuff out to try to raise his trade value after previous leaks. There is absolutely no chance the Sixers offer anything close to that for Jimmy Butler. And to suggest if they did, Miami would turn it down, is hilarious.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,230

Post#770 » by mjkvol » Wed May 8, 2024 4:46 pm

Stanford wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:There is a reason the Heat wants to move on after all he's done for them.

Seriously. The Heat and Clippers are giving us all the signs we need to stay away from Butler and George. I feel like I'm going crazy.

Exactly. And while the Heat are an excellent organization, the Clippers haven't exactly been known as such. Even more of a red flag.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,230

Post#771 » by mjkvol » Wed May 8, 2024 4:48 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Stanford wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:There is a reason the Heat wants to move on after all he's done for them.

Seriously. The Heat and Clippers are giving us all the signs we need to stay away from Butler and George. I feel like I'm going crazy.

It all depends on the cost. PG for just cap is fine. Jimmy for minimal trade assets is fine. Even better if we can get them in a S&T allowing us to stay over the cap.

OTOH emptying the clip for Jimmy in trade while his deal eats our cap is suicidal.

I might agree if we're talking about two year deals. Any more than that and I'm out on both.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,737

Post#772 » by 76thBearCub » Wed May 8, 2024 4:59 pm

Give Jimmy a lighter and stand back
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,297

Post#773 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed May 8, 2024 5:41 pm

Just another one of the reasons why Paul George is an easier and better option.

Pat Riley and Miami and gonna **** around for as long as it takes to get something they want. By the time we might reach an agreement, all the role players/free agents will be gone and we'll be struggling with a team that's 5-deep or something wishing we had depth.

Count me fully on board the Paul George train (assuming no Lauri, Siakam, or LeBron).
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#774 » by Arsenal » Wed May 8, 2024 6:09 pm

Which one would you prefer?

1) Paul George for the MAX of $50m year one - leaves around $13m of cap space.

2) Miles Bridges for $25m year one - leaves around $38m of cap space.

Gotta be honest, I'm not sure which is better. Depends what we could get with the extra $25m of space.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,584

Post#775 » by Black Mage » Wed May 8, 2024 6:18 pm

Arsenal wrote:Which one would you prefer?

1) Paul George for the MAX of $50m year one - leaves around $13m of cap space.

2) Miles Bridges for $25m year one - leaves around $38m of cap space.

Gotta be honest, I'm not sure which is better. Depends what we could get with the extra $25m of space.

I just don't see the Nets giving Bridges away without exacting a high price. I would rather get Ingram on cheap from NOLA; grab Murray to shore up our lead guard/defensive guard position and if Mikal becomes more "gettable" mid-season then empty the chest.

As for Jimmy, I see Pat making these statements intentionally to provoke Jimmy. I think Pat knows he doesn't want to extend Jimmy. I think he knows there won't be much of a market for Jimmy and any trade would be seen as selling pennies on the dollar. I think Pat is provoking Jimmy so Jimmy torches the building and then Riley can dump him and come away with clean hands.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#776 » by FireMorey » Wed May 8, 2024 6:42 pm

I'd rather have Miles Bridges for 25m than George for 50m. But I really don't want Miles Bridges either. I really don't see great options. I think getting Jimmy Butler in a trade and not giving up much is the best of bad options.

Even Ingram, you'd have to give up a lot for him and also give him a new max contract. I don't like that either.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#777 » by sixers4real » Wed May 8, 2024 6:47 pm

mksp wrote:Paul George, 35 year old Jimmy Butler, Russell Westbrook, Miles Bridges (who should be in jail)....

This offseason is going to kill me.

Okay now, you’re Morey.

What are you doing?
Step by step.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,049

Post#778 » by Stanford » Wed May 8, 2024 6:54 pm

sixers4real wrote:
mksp wrote:Paul George, 35 year old Jimmy Butler, Russell Westbrook, Miles Bridges (who should be in jail)....

This offseason is going to kill me.

Okay now, you’re Morey.

What are you doing?
Step by step.

I don't really think that's fair to ask of mksp, guy on message board.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,584

Post#779 » by Black Mage » Wed May 8, 2024 6:54 pm

FireMorey wrote:I'd rather have Miles Bridges for 25m than George for 50m. But I really don't want Miles Bridges either. I really don't see great options. I think getting Jimmy Butler in a trade and not giving up much is the best of bad options.

Even Ingram, you'd have to give up a lot for him and also give him a new max contract. I don't like that either.

I disagree on Ingram. Reports are all over that NOLA doesn't want to extend him; they want to extend 2 other players. They already have high cap hits from CJ and Zion to the tune of $70mil. If they bring back Jonas that's $85 mil or so. Ingram is going to be a new CBA cap casualty this off season. The Sixers being able to absorb his entire contract without sending anything back has immense value for NOLA and I think they end up paying a premium to dump Ingram.

NOLA has a ton of draft capital; they could offer up their own picks and still have valuable picks from LAL or Milwaukee. I could see Sixers sending a 2nd for Ingram and one of the Milwaukee swaps.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#780 » by FireMorey » Wed May 8, 2024 7:00 pm

Black Mage wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I'd rather have Miles Bridges for 25m than George for 50m. But I really don't want Miles Bridges either. I really don't see great options. I think getting Jimmy Butler in a trade and not giving up much is the best of bad options.

I disagree on Ingram. Reports are all over that NOLA doesn't want to extend him; they want to extend 2 other players. They already have high cap hits from CJ and Zion to the tune of $70mil. If they bring back Jonas that's $85 mil or so. Ingram is going to be a new CBA cap casualty this off season. The Sixers being able to absorb his entire contract without sending anything back has immense value for NOLA and I think they end up paying a premium to dump Ingram.

NOLA has a ton of draft capital; they could offer up their own picks and still have valuable picks from LAL or Milwaukee. I could see Sixers sending a 2nd for Ingram and one of the Milwaukee swaps.

I think some desperate team out there will think he will be good for them. Even if they can get him for cheap though, I wouldn't want him, because I don't think he gets them over the hump. This big move is supposed to be the move that gets the Sixers over the hump. If not, I don't see why anyone would want to do it even if it can be done at a good price. When the Sixers get bounced early in the playoffs again, no one's going to care if they got him for a couple 2nd rounders or a conditional 1st.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers