ImageImageImage

Welcome Buddy Hield

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,842

Re: Welcome Buddy Hield 

Post#81 » by phillynative » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:55 am

Lol until i see a legit starting 5 surrounding Embiid and his usage decrease because of it, I won't be singing anyone's praises.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#82 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:01 am

Stanford wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Lmao, 3 second round picks? Wtf?

Quite a bit for an expiring player.

Is what it is, I guess.

Looking like a good buy right now. 18-32 from 3 pt range and scoring about 22 points with 7.5 asts in his first 4 games.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#83 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:55 am

He's a better playmaker than I thought. Buddy's a good, solid guard and an exceptional three point shooter. He's trying defensively and that's all you can ask for.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#84 » by Bum Adebayo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:51 pm

Yeah he honestly has surpassed my high expectations I had of him, and they were higher than most posters here!
Of course, before someone points this out, yes of course, the percentages he's had these games are unsustainable, we know this, but dude can do much more than many here thought. And it's not just how well he shoots, it's the gravity he has, how quick and easy his release is, and he has a much longer wingspan than Redick had, it's a little bit easier for him to get shots off in comparison.
Buddy is literally the perfect role player next to Embiid, if we got him earlier instead of wasting so many years with players like Simmons, Harris and company, we would've been in a much better place.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#85 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:35 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Yeah he honestly has surpassed my high expectations I had of him, and they were higher than most posters here!
Of course, before someone points this out, yes of course, the percentages he's had these games are unsustainable, we know this, but dude can do much more than many here thought. And it's not just how well he shoots, it's the gravity he has, how quick and easy his release is, and he has a much longer wingspan than Redick had, it's a little bit easier for him to get shots off in comparison.
Buddy is literally the perfect role player next to Embiid, if we got him earlier instead of wasting so many years with players like Simmons, Harris and company, we would've been in a much better place.

Shooters are streaky, that's true of all of them and he may hit a cold patch next week. But he spreads the floor and when Embiid comes back that is gonna be very important. The only reason he was traded was because he wanted to start and Indiana was wanting to develop 3-4 young guards. I think he 31 should be a solid player out to 35-36, he's a guy who gives you 80 games a year too.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,898

Post#86 » by Slacktard » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:03 am

I think the biggest question mark around Hield is you really would like to see him, Maxey and Embiid together and see how it looks before committing any kind of long-term money to Hield IMO.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#87 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:46 am

Slacktard wrote:I think the biggest question mark around Hield is you really would like to see him, Maxey and Embiid together and see how it looks before committing any kind of long-term money to Hield IMO.

I agree. We really need to see how he does down the stretch. We're going to get a small amount of games with him, Maxey, and Jo if any to really evaluate. Right now Hield has joined us and is on fire. He's quickly developing some nice chemistry with Maxey, and I think it's also helping take some of the pressure off of Maxey at the same time. I don't think we need to overreact and pay Buddy Hield a ton of money. He's 31 years old, he's probably got 2-3 years left of playing at the current level he's playing at. He is a shooter, so I'm sure he can extend his career into his mid-late 30s the way others have, but I do want to see how he does in the postseason. Last night, the game got a little tight towards the end and Buddy Hield showed us all what he isn't. He isn't a closer or a guy you want breaking the defense down with the game on the line. He's the guy you want the ball kicked out to when Jo is doubled in the mid range area with time running out. I think the idea of trading for him was to see how he looks with Embiid on the floor so my guess is it's very likely we end up signing him back in the offseason unless he falters and plays terribly down the stretch.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,596

Post#88 » by youngcrev » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:49 am

Slacktard wrote:I think the biggest question mark around Hield is you really would like to see him, Maxey and Embiid together and see how it looks before committing any kind of long-term money to Hield IMO.

That and how he looks in the playoffs... Since he's never played in a playoff game in his career :o
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#89 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:23 am

Yeah no problem giving Harris max money though.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#90 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:34 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:Yeah no problem giving Harris max money though.

Has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about. Elton Brand is the one who maxed Harris. Daryl Morey is not Elton Brand. Nor do I remember anyone on here applauding Harris signing for the max. Again, this is a completely different situation that has zero relevance to what we're talking about. My God when will it end?
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#91 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:17 am

The point was that we are now all up in arms about how much will Buddy Hield cost, but we didn't do that when we signed Harris to max money. I have zero doubts about which of the two I would choose to pair with Embiid.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 558

Post#92 » by PhillyNj » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:08 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:Yeah no problem giving Harris max money though.

OMG no Harris at 25 mil yes, at the max absolutely not!
The whole point in getting The Sixers max cap space was if any players hold Out for unreasonable money. Replace them
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,842

Post#93 » by phillynative » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:33 pm

If Hield averages 20 , 4 and 5 for the sixers for the rest of the season which seems likely with Embiid out. How much money do you think he will command this offseason?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,856

Post#94 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:35 am

phillynative wrote:If Hield averages 20 , 4 and 5 for the sixers for the rest of the season which seems likely with Embiid out. How much money do you think he will command this offseason?

25M to 30M range.

Kyle Kuzma, John Collins and Wiggins level money.

Same with Tobias.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,180

Post#95 » by mjkvol » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:59 am

76ciology wrote:
phillynative wrote:If Hield averages 20 , 4 and 5 for the sixers for the rest of the season which seems likely with Embiid out. How much money do you think he will command this offseason?

25M to 30M range.

Same with Tobias.

Worth it for Buddy, but a massive overpay (again) for Tobias.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#96 » by M2J » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:02 pm

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:

25M to 30M range.

Same with Tobias.

$25 million or under for either guy. Wiggins, Collins, Kuzma aren't 32 years old now, nevermind when they signed. They were entering their prime, not exiting. One thing, I do feel sure about is that Daryl won't re-sign anyone to an unreasonable deal that can't be traded or is too long if it is an overpay.

Considering Buddy was because at his last stop, and may come off the bench when this team is healthy.... 31 going on 32. Under $25 million. Same for Tobias who can't even get traded as an expirer. The talent,I thought would play himself out of Philly price range has been injured half the season in Melton and I think they should bring back all the real rotation players.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#97 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:00 pm

M2J wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:
25M to 30M range.

Same with Tobias.

$25 million or under for their guy. Wiggins, Collins, Kuzma aren't 32 years old now, nevermind when they signed. They were entering their prime, not exiting. One thing, I do feel sure about is that Daryl won't re-sign anyone to an unreasonable deal that can't be traded or is too long if it is an overpay.

Considering Buddy was because at his last stop, and may come off the bench when this team is healthy.... 31 going on 32. Under $25 million. Same for Tobias who can't even get traded as an expirer. The talent,I thought would play himself out of Philly price range has been injured half the season in Melton and I think they should bring back all the real rotation players.

When we signed Harris to the max, we praised his age, look how that turned out. In the end, one needs to do certain projections in terms of age + playing style. Buddy in his Redick-like style of play can still be effective 2 years from now, maybe not 3 or 4 years from now. But Embiid's window is what, 2 years more or so at best I believe. So yeah max maybe not but a bit lower than that I would be ok if the alternatives are to sign other mediocre players to that price.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#98 » by M2J » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:47 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
M2J wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

$25 million or under for their guy. Wiggins, Collins, Kuzma aren't 32 years old now, nevermind when they signed. They were entering their prime, not exiting. One thing, I do feel sure about is that Daryl won't re-sign anyone to an unreasonable deal that can't be traded or is too long if it is an overpay.

When we signed Harris to the max, we praised his age, look how that turned out. In the end, one needs to do certain projections in terms of age + playing style. Buddy in his Redick-like style of play can still be effective 2 years from now, maybe not 3 or 4 years from now. But Embiid's window is what, 2 years more or so at best I believe. So yeah max maybe not but a bit lower than that I would be ok if the alternatives are to sign other mediocre players to that price.

He's not going to command 30 million, and I doubt Tobi will. There is the possibility that Detroit over pays for Tobi, but that number wouldn't be over 30ish million and likely short years. You're right about Tobias though, but there was hope he would develop into a high quality volume 3pt shooter and he refused to. Also, hope that he would be a better playmaker next to Ben, and that's all changed. But no one ever ever believed that he would be worth that contract, or could be traded without attaching assets to him. I don't think Daryl will sign anyone of these guys, without the deal being an asset in itself. If they didn't do it to harden he's not going to do it for them
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,577

Post#99 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:29 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
M2J wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

A lot of people on this forum were horrified Jimmy Butler was turning 30 in the summer of 2019. Never forget.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#100 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:02 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
Bum Adebayo wrote:
M2J wrote:

A lot of people on this forum were horrified Jimmy Butler was turning 30 in the summer of 2019. Never forget.

That's exactly what I mean, age is important but cannot be the main factor in deciding to give a player a lot of money or not, I think it has to be a big factor with certain type of players, like for example the small guards, like Lillard, Kemba, etc.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers