ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

FlightBrothers
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#861 » by FlightBrothers » Thu May 9, 2024 2:39 pm

I have not posted in a while, but I have been keeping up. I want scrappers on this team (that can play). I am looking at Boston and the Knicks as the two teams that we need to focus on for the next 3-5 years. These are the 4 players I would target.

Jimmy Butler
Miles Bridges
Alex Caruso
TJ McConnell

I think TJ is just a great locker room guy, another coach on the bench/floor and he brings the intensity and the effort every time he steps on the floor. He produces and honestly is annoying the hell out of Brunson. He makes him work every damn second on the floor.

Alex Caruso a better version of TJ, but I think TJ helps the locker room with Embiid/Maxey and can run our 2nd unit as its general. I am hoping we can acquire TJ and Caruso with picks/Paul Reed.

Miles Bridges I want the A-hole on our team. We need the A-hole for the Celtics and Knicks series. I do love the idea of Draymond, but I doubt GS lets him go and I think Bridges could be that bully/energy guy our team needs.

Jimmy Butler enough said. While this may be difficult to acquire all 4 that is why Morey gets paid the big bucks. I can't imagine TJ costing too much. Could 3-4 1sts (with Paul Reed's non-guaranteed contract) net you Butler and Caruso.

Maxey
Caruso
Butler
Bridges
Embiid

TJ
Oubre (8 Million Exception)
Drummond (vet Minimum)
Lowry (Vet MInimum)
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,734

Post#862 » by FireMorey » Thu May 9, 2024 2:54 pm

One aspect that separates Paul George from Butler is I have a hunch PG wouldn’t want to leave LA and if he came here he’d be coming for the money only. I always get bad vibes when that happens. If a declining player isn’t fully bought in, I feel like his game will decline quicker. And if things go bad he’ll check out extra fast. Al Horford was a bad fit but I think that’s what happened with him. He never wanted to be here and only came for the money and the whole thing was doomed for failure from the jump.

Butler I think would be really fired up to come back and play with Embiid again. I think the Sixers would get Butler’s all.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,373

Post#863 » by Arsenal » Thu May 9, 2024 3:25 pm

New plan:

0. Cut Paul Reed or trade him for a 2nd rounder if we can get it with no salary coming back.
1. Sign Paul George to a 4 year deal (because that's what it will take) starting at $44m in year one. Leaves around $20m of cap.
2. Sign Kyle Anderson and Gary Trent with the remaining $20m of cap space.
3. Re-sign Oubre with the Room Exception.
4. Draft Devin Carter with our 1st and Alex Karaban with our 2nd.
6. Sign Andre Drummond to vet min.
7. Sign Dario Saric to vet min.
8. Resign Lowry to vet min.
9. Resign Covington to vet min.
10. Resign Melton to the vet min since it preserves his Bird Rights to get paid after one year if he's healthy.
11. Max out Maxey via Bird Rights.

New lineup:

PG Maxey | Carter | Lowry
SG Trent | Melton | Council
SF George | Oubre | Covington
PF Anderson | Saric | Karaban
CE Embiid | Drummond | Vet Min

Keeps all our dry powder in terms of picks available for future moves. Around midseason we can spend a first to upgrade someone to a guy like Caruso and/or other playoff rotation pieces.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#864 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:32 pm

Paul George is not a good option here. He hasn't won ****,not durable,not a leader ,old and underwhelming playoff performer.

Butler despite being older is a good playoff performer,leader and has chemistry with Embiid. Despite Ingram and Siakam being my Tier 1 targets Butler would be my backup plan.

Resigning oubre is crucial .

Also Russell Westbrook to take Lowry role as starting combo guard next to Maxey. RW is one of the best rebounding guards ever. Also , even with age decline is still a way above avg athlete. Had some height too to fit well I. Back court with Maxey and also has tenacity that this team lacks.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,373

Post#865 » by Arsenal » Thu May 9, 2024 6:22 pm

^^

This continuing Westbrickian jihad is hilarious.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,495

Post#866 » by Eyeamok » Thu May 9, 2024 6:49 pm

Iscull wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Iscull wrote:Nothing personal against the guy, but I don't understand why everyone is advocating for Ingram. Have you watched any pelicans basketball?

Yes, he's 26, has great length, and seems good on paper. That said, he's never been clutch and is constantly injured. Like Tobias, also loves mid-range jumpers.

This past playoffs, his stats were pretty close to Tobi.
1) 13 Points in the play-in game against the Lakers. McCollum couldn't shoot and Zion went down with the injury. Didn't step up.
2) 14.3 PPG against the Thunder playing 36 MPG. 25% from Three. 34% overall from the field.

In his career,
1) He hasn't played more than 65 games in a season since his rookie year.
2) He missed 82 games in the last 3 years.
3) He's shooting a career 36% from 3.
4) His PPG total dipped to it's lowest since 2018 last year.

If anyone thinks he's somehow an upgrade or solution over Tobias is mistaken. If he costs us 2 firsts, we might as well sign Paul George (And I don't even want to do that).

If Ingram put up 11.3 points for the 76ers against the Knicks, the 76ers would be facing he Pacers right now.

Those picks were/are there to be used to get a player to replace Harden. That's what they are for.

I'm not sure if we simply swapped Tobi for Ingram that we would have won that series - and this is coming from someone who wanted Tobi to sit on the bench the entire playoffs.

I'm not against bringing Ingram on board, so long as it's for very cheap and he's not the only "starter" we add. My argument is switching them out and adding in role players doesn't improve us materially.

I think switching Ingram out for Tobias is a win and adding role players that actually know their roles, like rebounding, back up center and another guard. Is just what these team needs.

BUT

I have been wrong on player evaluation and predicting who is going to be good and who is going to be bad, so often it is comical. So there is that.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#867 » by Eyeamok » Thu May 9, 2024 6:53 pm

FireMorey wrote:One aspect that separates Paul George from Butler is I have a hunch PG wouldn’t want to leave LA and if he came here he’d be coming for the money only. I always get bad vibes when that happens. If a declining player isn’t fully bought in, I feel like his game will decline quicker. And if things go bad he’ll check out extra fast. Al Horford was a bad fit but I think that’s what happened with him. He never wanted to be here and only came for the money and the whole thing was doomed for failure from the jump.

Butler I think would be really fired up to come back and play with Embiid again. I think the Sixers would get Butler’s all.

We just need Playoff Jimmy for 2 seasons that's all. And I think you are spot on with Paul George.

Bring on the draft

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#868 » by Eyeamok » Thu May 9, 2024 6:57 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Paul George is not a good option here. He hasn't won ****,not durable,not a leader ,old and underwhelming playoff performer.

Butler despite being older is a good playoff performer,leader and has chemistry with Embiid. Despite Ingram and Siakam being my Tier 1 targets Butler would be my backup plan.

Resigning oubre is crucial .

Also Russell Westbrook to take Lowry role as starting combo guard next to Maxey. RW is one of the best rebounding guards ever. Also , even with age decline is still a way above avg athlete. Had some height too to fit well I. Back court with Maxey and also has tenacity that this team lacks.

Westbrook as long as it's written in his contract that he never shoots the ball, dunks or layups only. Then I might consider it. But if the philly fanbase turns on him it will get ugly fast.

Bring on the draft

Marlo
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 130

Post#869 » by fkd215 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:33 pm

My ranking of cornerstone moves for this offseason, based on ideas that have been floated in the press, are:

1. trade for Mikal Bridges
2. trade for DeJounte Murray
3. spread the cap into depth pieces (including trades into cap space)
4. sign Miles Bridges
5. trade a modest amount of picks for Brandon Ingram
6. sign PG
7. trade for Butler

I'm basing this on both the quality of the main player, and the amount of resources it would leave after the main move to fill out the roster.

I'm curious what others think about how many picks we'd have to give up for each of these trades: Mikal Bridges, Murray, Ingram, and Butler.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#870 » by FireMorey » Thu May 9, 2024 7:43 pm

fkd215 wrote:My ranking of cornerstone moves for this offseason, based on ideas that have been floated in the press, are:

1. trade for Mikal Bridges
2. trade for DeJounte Murray
3. spread the cap into depth pieces (including trades into cap space)
4. sign Miles Bridges
5. trade a modest amount of picks for Brandon Ingram
6. sign PG
7. trade for Butler

I'm basing this on both the quality of the main player, and the amount of resources it would leave after the main move to fill out the roster.

I'm curious what others think about how many picks we'd have to give up for each of these trades: Mikal Bridges, Murray, Ingram, and Butler.

Bridges don't think he's available, but if he was probably 4 firsts and multiple swaps. Murray. Probably 3 firsts and maybe a swap. Or two first and a swap. Ingram, who knows. Probably a first or two, but could see them getting away with it even if they are well protected. His market probably won't be as robust as the first two. Butler I think a first + a 2nd or two. Butler should cost the least of the bunch given his age and character concerns. And also I don't think he'd be receptive going to most places to begin with.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,712

Post#871 » by rzzzzz » Thu May 9, 2024 7:54 pm

We had TJ. We had Bridges. (Briefly) We had Jimmy. I suppose saying we had Simmons when he was still a young enough unicorn to develop properly, and we had Fultz (who seemingly damaged himself during free time between SL and camp) is probably too much responsibility to lay at the coach’s feet. I’m glad Fultz gave Daryl the opportunity to snag Maxey. I’m still baffled by all the Harden’s going on, but I like Batum and Oubre. And now all this cap space. Yeah, it is make or break, ain’t it?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,049

Post#872 » by Stanford » Thu May 9, 2024 8:18 pm

Really should have grabbed Murray before the deadline.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#873 » by youngcrev » Thu May 9, 2024 8:41 pm

Honestly, the only thing that put me off Paul George was Jimmy's name coming in the mix.

If it's George, he's here to be the 3rd guy. The do it all swiss army knife that fills the gaps next Maxey/Embiid. You're still relying on Embiid to be the guy and Maxey to be your closer. He wouldn't be coming here to carry the team.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#874 » by youngcrev » Thu May 9, 2024 8:48 pm

If the Sixers have a trade target making around 10-12M, keeping BBall until you use up your cap space and then trading him after for that player could be an option.

For instance if you wanted to trade for Caruso, you could give yourself an extra 2M to spend in free agency by waiting and then dealing Reed for him as matching salary.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#875 » by FireMorey » Thu May 9, 2024 9:20 pm

Clippers fans trashing PG should be a buyer beware for Sixers fans. That doesn't mean he's guaranteed to suck here, but I think we've all seen this movie before.

Sixers sign guy who fans of previous team say isn't that great anymore and is incredibly frustrating in certain respects.

Sixers fans convince themselves that he'll be great in Philly and chalk the other fans complaining as just sour grapes.

Player gets to Philly and within the first month or two Sixers fans realize that the other fans were right and then come the stages of grief playing out.

I could just see it now. Sixers sign PG, everyone talks themselves into it being a great move, at least for a couple years, even those who initially didn't want him. Then come December, the Sixers will have a rough stretch where PG really struggles and lacks the ability to shake defenders and create his own shot, and his shooting declines, and he dogs it a bit in some spots and then everyone's like omg what have we gotten ourselves into.

After coming off the Tobias Harris contract, that would be like getting out of prison for a wrongful conviction overturned and then a month later getting thrown back into prison for something else.

And let's be real, this franchise is cursed, so expect the absolute worst. Whatever the low end of outcomes for PG will be, will happen here because that's what virtually always happens to the Sixers when they acquire veteran players.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#876 » by sixers4real » Thu May 9, 2024 9:37 pm

I am in “please not to GP13” club
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#877 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu May 9, 2024 9:52 pm

rzzzzz wrote:We had TJ. We had Bridges. (Briefly) We had Jimmy. I suppose saying we had Simmons when he was still a young enough unicorn to develop properly, and we had Fultz (who seemingly damaged himself during free time between SL and camp) is probably too much responsibility to lay at the coach’s feet. I’m glad Fultz gave Daryl the opportunity to snag Maxey. I’m still baffled by all the Harden’s going on, but I like Batum and Oubre. And now all this cap space. Yeah, it is make or break, ain’t it?

We had Jerami too. Now Jerami's spoken and it's too late.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 860

Post#878 » by zaz102 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:32 pm

Arsenal wrote:New plan:

0. Cut Paul Reed or trade him for a 2nd rounder if we can get it with no salary coming back.
1. Sign Paul George to a 4 year deal (because that's what it will take) starting at $44m in year one. Leaves around $20m of cap.
2. Sign Kyle Anderson and Gary Trent with the remaining $20m of cap space.
3. Re-sign Oubre with the Room Exception.
4. Draft Devin Carter with our 1st and Alex Karaban with our 2nd.
6. Sign Andre Drummond to vet min.
7. Sign Dario Saric to vet min.
8. Resign Lowry to vet min.
9. Resign Covington to vet min.
10. Resign Melton to the vet min since it preserves his Bird Rights to get paid after one year if he's healthy.
11. Max out Maxey via Bird Rights.

New lineup:

PG Maxey | Carter | Lowry
SG Trent | Melton | Council
SF George | Oubre | Covington
PF Anderson | Saric | Karaban
CE Embiid | Drummond | Vet Min

Keeps all our dry powder in terms of picks available for future moves. Around midseason we can spend a first to upgrade someone to a guy like Caruso and/or other playoff rotation pieces.
I would love this, but I don't think PG13 is taking less than the max ($49.4). I think only one of Anderson and GTJ would be available using the remaining money the Sixers had. I'd grab whomever is the better deal. Then grab a mid-level salary player that can help a little but also serve as trade fodder for later in the season.

A good team and you have your assets to use to trade one of those guys if Daryl feels there's a player out there that can make a difference when it gets closer to the deadline.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 493

Post#879 » by PhillyFan11 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:43 pm

Obviously the roster is different (and barren)….but does anyone else feel like we are somehow right back in the same spot as we were during the Ben trade saga?
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 860

Post#880 » by zaz102 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:53 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:Obviously the roster is different (and barren)….but does anyone else feel like we are somehow right back in the same spot as we were during the Ben trade saga?
Definitely don't feel that way. I was super low on them then. They were still stuck with Tobi, had no assets, and had a disgruntled Simmons that felt like he tanked his value in the ATL series.

Now they have assets, cap flexibility, and a 23 year old still improving all star in Maxey. What they do from here on is important, but the present and future is much brighter than what it was then.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers