** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,009

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#901 » by Stanford » Fri May 10, 2024 12:06 pm

Is George for space and Murray for picks possible at any point this year?
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#902 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri May 10, 2024 12:40 pm

Stanford wrote:Is George for space and Murray for picks possible at any point this year?

Would be tough to match Murray’s $25 mil in a trade.

He would’ve been a better target last season with all the expirings we had available.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,184

Post#903 » by mjkvol » Fri May 10, 2024 12:46 pm

Kobblehead wrote:8 years from now, after we lose him to another team and he learns how to shoot, maybe we could trade for Ricky Council.

That about sums it up perfectly.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,009

Post#904 » by Stanford » Fri May 10, 2024 12:58 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
Stanford wrote:Is George for space and Murray for picks possible at any point this year?

He would’ve been a better target last season with all the expirings we had available.

That's what I thought. Too bad.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#905 » by zaz102 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:06 pm

Stanford wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:

That's what I thought. Too bad.
I think it's possible. After signing George, you would have about $14M and the room exception of $8M. Couldn't you combine those two players ($22M) for Murray ($25M)?

Not saying it's the best move, but seems possible.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#906 » by mjkvol » Fri May 10, 2024 1:10 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
FireMorey wrote:Clippers fans trashing PG should be a buyer beware for Sixers fans. That doesn't mean he's guaranteed to suck here, but I think we've all seen this movie before.

Sixers sign guy who fans of previous team say isn't that great anymore and is incredibly frustrating in certain respects.

Sixers fans convince themselves that he'll be great in Philly and chalk the other fans complaining as just sour grapes.

Player gets to Philly and within the first month or two Sixers fans realize that the other fans were right and then come the stages of grief playing out.

I could just see it now. Sixers sign PG, everyone talks themselves into it being a great move, at least for a couple years, even those who initially didn't want him. Then come December, the Sixers will have a rough stretch where PG really struggles and lacks the ability to shake defenders and create his own shot, and his shooting declines, and he dogs it a bit in some spots and then everyone's like omg what have we gotten ourselves into.

After coming off the Tobias Harris contract, that would be like getting out of prison for a wrongful conviction overturned and then a month later getting thrown back into prison for something else.

It's not the "Sixers are jinxed" thing or what other teams' fans say, it's the basic fact of giving a 34 year old player whose game is declining and has never been known as a playoff performer a max contract that will tie up the payroll and prevent building out the team.

It really is the definition of insanity after the last five seasons, and yet so many here are ready to sign up all over again because of this 'small window' of time we have that people have been talking about seemingly forever here, and that has forced so many of the ill-fated 'win now' moves by management.

I'm just hoping that Morey isn't nearly as short sighted, and is looking at this as an opportunity to build something lasting, as opposed to a rickety structure designed to self destruct in three seasons if it doesn't implode before that time.

I get what you are saying but Biid is going to be 31...with major injury concerns. He's not going to play at elite level for more than 2-3 years at best. You have to maximize your window to build the best possible team in the short/mid term. You can't think long term.

That doesn't mean making short sighted moves like paying the max to fricking Paul George who's going to be 35 yrs old next Playoffs and is already showing clear signs of decline.

But it's almost a contradiction in terms to suggest maximizing an alleged short window while not making short sighted moves. It's exactly that mindset that led to emptying the cupboard for older declining talent that got us no closer to winning a title. Now Morey has created an opportunity for a fresh start, and we have a 23-yr. old star as well as Embiid to consider.

My main issue has always been this "third star" garbage, when one look around the league shows that building a balanced, deep team is the key to sustained success, while the top heavy approach collapses due to lack of quality depth and gaping roster holes - see Phoenix and the Clippers. We have our two primary scorers who are getting paid, we don't need a third max contract. There will be options that present themselves to make moves for more affordable complimentary pieces, which provides more money for quality depth instead of filling out the roster with vet mins.

Dejounte Murray is one, but there will be others, and it's Morey's job to root them out. To believe that we know all those options now is ridiculous, and the useful idiot media "insiders" know nothing but information they are fed by agents and teams. What is short sighted is believing that what we see now are the only options that will be available as we move forward.

And if the only options are older, declining players requiring massive contracts and in some cases picks, I'm ready to punt the off season and wait until the deadline, or even 2025 rather than throw away this vague "short window" and the future along with it.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,245

Post#907 » by Kobblehead » Fri May 10, 2024 1:38 pm

Pal Jorge would just be the next in line of the revolving door of future hall of famers that we try to pair with Embiid. Seems like a repetitive cycle.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#908 » by the_process » Fri May 10, 2024 2:56 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Pal Jorge would just be the next in line of the revolving door of future hall of famers that we try to pair with Embiid. Seems like a repetitive cycle.

"Pal Jorge"? Spanish for the hell of it?

Not lying, kinda like that as a nickname. Very well might start calling him that. :lol:
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,118

Post#909 » by Negrodamus » Fri May 10, 2024 3:01 pm

The problem with the NBA is that there are approx 10 guys who don't have some reputation of being a choker, locker room problem, injury prone, old, etc and they're all locked up (or going to be locked up) for 50+ mil a year. Those guys rarely see free agency. You think SGA would live in OKC if he had his choice, lol? He's not going to leave money on the table, so he's never going to hit FA in his prime unless the organization does him dirty.

So we're left with flawed players.
the_process
RealGM

Post#910 » by the_process » Fri May 10, 2024 3:06 pm

Pretty sure you can swing that with some finagling.
the_process
RealGM

Post#911 » by the_process » Fri May 10, 2024 3:08 pm

Negrodamus wrote:The problem with the NBA is that there are approx 10 guys who don't have some reputation of being a choker, locker room problem, injury prone, old, etc and they're all locked up (or going to be locked up) for 50+ mil a year. Those guys rarely see free agency. You think SGA would live in OKC if he had his choice, lol? He's not going to leave money on the table, so he's never going to hit FA in his prime unless the organization does him dirty.

Exactly. The perfect player is not available. You have to find the best of the flawed. Or enough different flaws that the group complements each other.
the_process
RealGM

Post#912 » by the_process » Fri May 10, 2024 3:10 pm

76ciology wrote:Looking at Embiid, his most valued trait is scoring, as is Maxey's. Let them be our go-to guys down the stretch. What we need is to either construct a team that prevents close games by winning non-Embiid minutes, or a team that gives Maxey and Embiid good opportunities by having less fatigue (depth), better shot quality (spacing), and improved frequency (rebounding and defense) if a game becomes close.

Against the Knicks, Josh Hart and Divicenzo hits their biggest shots. They don’t need a Jimmy Butler to make the shots for them.

Embiid best most valued trait is his defense, and that should also be his primary focus.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#913 » by mjkvol » Fri May 10, 2024 3:46 pm

the_process wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:The problem with the NBA is that there are approx 10 guys who don't have some reputation of being a choker, locker room problem, injury prone, old, etc and they're all locked up (or going to be locked up) for 50+ mil a year. Those guys rarely see free agency. You think SGA would live in OKC if he had his choice, lol? He's not going to leave money on the table, so he's never going to hit FA in his prime unless the organization does him dirty.

Exactly. The perfect player is not available. You have to find the best of the flawed. Or enough different flaws that the group complements each other.

I just think it's a far better plan to have more 'less flawed' players who fit and compliment Embiid and Maxey at manageable salaries than one 'less flawed' at an inflated number and a bunch of 'very flawed' players at bargain rates. I don't believe that George brings enough value to justify filling out the roster with lesser talent. I like the idea of Butler more, but not at the cost of emptying the cupboard and maxing him.
Iscull
Senior
And1: 134

Post#914 » by Iscull » Fri May 10, 2024 3:58 pm

My only concern with Derozan is that I'm not sure we could play him and Oubre at the same time and idk if we'd want to spend $35-$40MM on two players who play the same position.
Iscull
Senior

Post#915 » by Iscull » Fri May 10, 2024 4:09 pm

What are people's thoughts on Malik Monk? Is he too small to play with Maxey?

I feel like he'd be a way better addition at $12-$18MM than George at $35MM+. He also played really well in the playoffs last year averaging 19 PPG in 29 MPG.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,342

Post#916 » by Arsenal » Fri May 10, 2024 4:19 pm

Beggars can't be choosers.

Paul George for around $45m in year one is one of the least bad outcomes this offseason. If things don't work out we can trade him for depth pieces as soon as January.

That said, if we can instead get 3-4 stud role players instead of PG, I'm down. I just don't know how likely that is.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#917 » by Arsenal » Fri May 10, 2024 4:20 pm

Iscull wrote:What are people's thoughts on Malik Monk? Is he too small to play with Maxey?

I feel like he'd be a way better addition at $12-$18MM than George at $35MM+. He also played really well in the playoffs last year averaging 19 PPG in 29 MPG.

Too small and not enough D. We *need* a tough defender with size who can pair with Maxey long term. Malik Monk would just end up an expensive bench scorer here.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#918 » by Arsenal » Fri May 10, 2024 4:22 pm

To me, probable best outcome if we go the multiple role players instead of one aging star route is getting Miles Bridges for around $25m in year one. That leaves around $40m of cap space to get another 3 good role players. Plus the Room Exception for one more player, which is likely going to Kelly Oubre.
Iscull
Senior

Post#919 » by Iscull » Fri May 10, 2024 4:30 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Iscull wrote:What are people's thoughts on Malik Monk? Is he too small to play with Maxey?

Too small and not enough D. We *need* a tough defender with size who can pair with Maxey long term. Malik Monk would just end up an expensive bench scorer here.

Fair enough!

On your PG comment, I truly believe that we'll be able to capitalze off the new CBA and get a "salary dump" player for way cheaper than we otherwise should.

As an exmaple, we could probably trade a single FRP for Bogdanavic or Hunter from Atlanta. They'd only cost $20MM, leaving another $25MM for us to get another solid starter/role player. Say John Collins from Utah.

If given the chance, I'd choose Collins + Hunter/Bogdonavic with their current contracts over a PG13 max all day.
Iscull
Senior

Post#920 » by Iscull » Fri May 10, 2024 4:32 pm

If we did get Hunter and Collins, could we go with a "bigger" linup of Maxey / Oubre / Hunter / Collins / Embiid? Watching Oubre guard Brunson in the playoffs makes me feel he'd be an asset to work alongside Maxey and defend the opposing teams top guard. We'd just need to bring on two forwards who can space the floor.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers