ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#921 » by madmaxmedia » Fri May 10, 2024 4:37 pm

As a Clipper fan just trying to get a sense of what you guys are thinking, I think Paul George is a pretty good signing at around 3/$150M. We were really disappointed in his playoffs performance this year and he can be up and down, but his overall stat line is still really good and has largely held up. A 3 year deal should have decent value as a trade asset.

I think 4 year max is a bridge too far though, for Clippers, Sixers, or anyone. I want him back on a 3 year deal, but if someone is willing to pay the max then c'est la vie.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#922 » by zaz102 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:59 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:As a Clipper fan just trying to get a sense of what you guys are thinking, I think Paul George is a pretty good signing at around 3/$150M. We were really disappointed in his playoffs performance this year and he can be up and down, but his overall stat line is still really good and has largely held up. A 3 year deal should have decent value as a trade asset.

I think 4 year max is a bridge too far though, for Clippers, Sixers, or anyone. I want him back on a 3 year deal, but if someone is willing to pay the max then c'est la vie.
I think he's a very good option for the Sixers. He would be the third option in Philly and would fit very well between our two stars. Furthermore, Philly would be able to hold on to all of their assets. All of this might be worth biting the bullet on the four years.

Biggest problem is signing him means the rest of the playoff rotation would probably be dookie.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,001

Post#923 » by Stanford » Fri May 10, 2024 5:00 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:As a Clipper fan just trying to get a sense of what you guys are thinking, I think Paul George is a pretty good signing at around 3/$150M. We were really disappointed in his playoffs performance this year and he can be up and down, but his overall stat line is still really good and has largely held up. A 3 year deal should have decent value as a trade asset.

Agreed. I think I'd be content but not thrilled with a 3 year max as long as Daryl didn't think and act like it's the final piece.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 583

Post#924 » by blargh » Fri May 10, 2024 5:02 pm

The problem I have with Butler, George, and Ingram is that I think the Knicks series showed that the Sixers have to find a way to play with a bit more pace and athleticism. We’re never going to be lightning fast with Embiid, but faster decision making will help Joel from getting trapped by set defenses. All three of these guys have a bit of playmaking, but none of them are quick decision makers. I’d rather round out the rest of the roster with lesser guys who give us more depth and energy.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#925 » by Stanford » Fri May 10, 2024 5:07 pm

blargh wrote:I think the Knicks series showed that the Sixers have to find a way to play with a bit more pace and athleticism.

I think they would have won the series easily if they could have kept the Knicks off the offensive boards. That's what I took from the series.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 860

Post#926 » by Ferry Avenue » Fri May 10, 2024 5:08 pm

925 posts in this thread and no mention of the potential of trading Embiid.

Interesting.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,342

Post#927 » by Arsenal » Fri May 10, 2024 5:09 pm

I believe it will require a 4-year deal for around $180m - $190m for Paul George to come here. If we only offer 3 years he's definitely staying with the Clippers.

That said I'm pretty sure we'll offer him something in the range I mentioned. Then the question becomes will Ballmer match by giving the 4th year or not.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#928 » by Arsenal » Fri May 10, 2024 5:10 pm

blargh wrote:The problem I have with Butler, George, and Ingram is that I think the Knicks series showed that the Sixers have to find a way to play with a bit more pace and athleticism. We’re never going to be lightning fast with Embiid, but faster decision making will help Joel from getting trapped by set defenses. All three of these guys have a bit of playmaking, but none of them are quick decision makers. I’d rather round out the rest of the roster with lesser guys who give us more depth and energy.

There are many ways to win. No one in their right mind can tell me we wouldn't have won the Knicks series by swapping in Paul George in place of Tobias Harris. We had a $40m albatross giving us absolutely nothing out there for 35 mpg.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,584

Post#929 » by Black Mage » Fri May 10, 2024 5:12 pm

Stanford wrote:Is George for space and Murray for picks possible at any point this year?

It is, but I believe it has to be done before Maxey extension.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#930 » by Arsenal » Fri May 10, 2024 5:18 pm

I wonder how many assets we would need to absorb Zach LaVine. Maybe 2 1sts would be enough to take a flier on him. Perhaps Patrick Williams could replace one of those firsts if he signs around $10m per.

Would anyone take LaVine plus 2 1sts for pure cap?
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,625

Post#931 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:38 pm

Arsenal wrote:I wonder how many assets we would need to absorb Zach LaVine. Maybe 2 1sts would be enough to take a flier on him. Perhaps Patrick Williams could replace one of those firsts if he signs around $10m per.

Nah, can’t ruin our flexibility for the next 3 years just for a couple firsts. Some rebuilding team should explore a deal like that tho.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,710

Post#932 » by FireMorey » Fri May 10, 2024 5:50 pm

Arsenal wrote:
blargh wrote:The problem I have with Butler, George, and Ingram is that I think the Knicks series showed that the Sixers have to find a way to play with a bit more pace and athleticism. We’re never going to be lightning fast with Embiid, but faster decision making will help Joel from getting trapped by set defenses. All three of these guys have a bit of playmaking, but none of them are quick decision makers. I’d rather round out the rest of the roster with lesser guys who give us more depth and energy.

There are many ways to win. No one in their right mind can tell me we wouldn't have won the Knicks series by swapping in Paul George in place of Tobias Harris. We had a $40m albatross giving us absolutely nothing out there for 35 mpg.

Sixers also would've won the series if Embiid was 100% healthy. People need to be careful not to put too much into that Knicks series. Just build the best team possible and take your shot. Don't build it based on one series.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#933 » by Stanford » Fri May 10, 2024 5:58 pm

Black Mage wrote:
Stanford wrote:Is George for space and Murray for picks possible at any point this year?

It is, but I believe it has to be done before Maxey extension.

How?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#934 » by Negrodamus » Fri May 10, 2024 6:13 pm

I'm sticking with DeRozan and George as the moves. I know as a collection (George, DeRozan, Embiid) they have their playoff reputation, but they are generally the guys that teams have been keying in on during the playoffs. If they can buy in and sacrifice being on ball primary options, then that starting lineup would crush most teams.

Maxey/Lowry
DeRozan/Oubre
George/Council
Batum/Saric
Embiid/Drummond

Need to fill out with the first and second rounder. Perhaps get other ring changers to join for cheap. I don't know if Kyle Anderson is at that point in his career, but he'd be a solid option. I know the bench situation looks bleak here, but we need top talent to lean on come playoff time.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#935 » by the_process » Fri May 10, 2024 6:33 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:925 posts in this thread and no mention of the potential of trading Embiid.

Interesting.

Because it's not going to happen.

Should we talk about how the Sixers need to trade for Anthony Edwards?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,854

Post#936 » by 76ciology » Fri May 10, 2024 6:44 pm

Arsenal wrote:I wonder how many assets we would need to absorb Zach LaVine. Maybe 2 1sts would be enough to take a flier on him. Perhaps Patrick Williams could replace one of those firsts if he signs around $10m per.

Patrick Williams 3.9 reb per game at 7.9 TRB% is awful. He’s 2024 version of Marvin Williams
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#937 » by Arsenal » Fri May 10, 2024 6:49 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I'm sticking with DeRozan and George as the moves. I know as a collection (George, DeRozan, Embiid) they have their playoff reputation, but they are generally the guys that teams have been keying in on during the playoffs. If they can buy in and sacrifice being on ball primary options, then that starting lineup would crush most teams.

Maxey/Lowry
DeRozan/Oubre
George/Council
Batum/Saric
Embiid/Drummond

Need to fill out with the first and second rounder. Perhaps get other ring changers to join for cheap. I don't know if Kyle Anderson is at that point in his career, but he'd be a solid option. I know the bench situation looks bleak here, but we need top talent to lean on come playoff time.

This requires DeRozan to sign for ~$13m-17m in year one. I don't see that happening when rumors are Chicago is offering him $40m per year on a 2-year deal.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#938 » by Arsenal » Fri May 10, 2024 6:50 pm

76ciology wrote:

Patrick Williams 3.9 reb per game at 7.9 TRB% is awful. He’s 2024 version of Marvin Williams

Agree that's turrible. Rather keep the extra 1st and the cap space.

Although there is a chance Williams can break out considering he's still only 22.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#939 » by madmaxmedia » Fri May 10, 2024 7:01 pm

Arsenal wrote:

I believe it will require a 4-year deal for around $180m - $190m for Paul George to come here. If we only offer 3 years he's definitely staying with the Clippers.

That said I'm pretty sure we'll offer him something in the range I mentioned. Then the question becomes will Ballmer match by giving the 4th year or not.

My guess is that for 4 years in that range, he'll probably do it? (even if I don't think he should.) You guys would be in a better position to win now if you did add him, so that makes the 1 or possibly 2 bad years at the back end more acceptable since the last contract year you're probably looking at him as an expiring to trade. But us giving him a near max would likely only add up to 1 or 2 more 50-win seasons and non-impressive playoff runs.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,557

Post#940 » by elchengue20 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:15 pm

mjkvol wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
It's not the "Sixers are jinxed" thing or what other teams' fans say, it's the basic fact of giving a 34 year old player whose game is declining and has never been known as a playoff performer a max contract that will tie up the payroll and prevent building out the team.

It really is the definition of insanity after the last five seasons, and yet so many here are ready to sign up all over again because of this 'small window' of time we have that people have been talking about seemingly forever here, and that has forced so many of the ill-fated 'win now' moves by management.

I'm just hoping that Morey isn't nearly as short sighted, and is looking at this as an opportunity to build something lasting, as opposed to a rickety structure designed to self destruct in three seasons if it doesn't implode before that time.

I get what you are saying but Biid is going to be 31...with major injury concerns. He's not going to play at elite level for more than 2-3 years at best. You have to maximize your window to build the best possible team in the short/mid term. You can't think long term.

That doesn't mean making short sighted moves like paying the max to fricking Paul George who's going to be 35 yrs old next Playoffs and is already showing clear signs of decline.

But it's almost a contradiction in terms to suggest maximizing an alleged short window while not making short sighted moves. It's exactly that mindset that led to emptying the cupboard for older declining talent that got us no closer to winning a title. Now Morey has created an opportunity for a fresh start, and we have a 23-yr. old star as well as Embiid to consider.

My main issue has always been this "third star" garbage, when one look around the league shows that building a balanced, deep team is the key to sustained success, while the top heavy approach collapses due to lack of quality depth and gaping roster holes - see Phoenix and the Clippers. We have our two primary scorers who are getting paid, we don't need a third max contract. There will be options that present themselves to make moves for more affordable complimentary pieces, which provides more money for quality depth instead of filling out the roster with vet mins.

Dejounte Murray is one, but there will be others, and it's Morey's job to root them out. To believe that we know all those options now is ridiculous, and the useful idiot media "insiders" know nothing but information they are fed by agents and teams. What is short sighted is believing that what we see now are the only options that will be available as we move forward.

And if the only options are older, declining players requiring massive contracts and in some cases picks, I'm ready to punt the off season and wait until the deadline, or even 2025 rather than throw away this vague "short window" and the future along with it.

It is not a contradiction. There is an intermediate point that we have to follow. The reality is that you can't build the team in the long term either, you only have a maximum of 3 years with Embiid at this level. You have to maximize the window now.

That doesn't mean going in desperation mode and sign 34 year old PG13 to max money, which is immediately going to be a bad contract, even next season.

It is also true that the league is shifting towards having a strong rotation of 7/8 players rather than having a strong big 3.

It is better to build a solid team with depth and two way players than to chase stars and even worse aging stars.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers