ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#981 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 11, 2024 2:50 pm

Kobblehead wrote:A true contender needs about 4-6 guys in the playoffs scoring double figures.

So if your playoff rotation is like 6 or 7 guys, there's room to have a couple connective glue guys.

Agree, but let’s get guys 30 years or younger to do that. Alex Caruso, Kyle Anderson, Gary Harris, Melton, Royce O’Neale, Caleb Martin, Jalen Smith, etc.

(Dario is 30 but has an extensive injury history)

Can't keep signing old dudes and then get disappointed when they underwhelm playing 30 mpg in the playoffs.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,596

Post#982 » by youngcrev » Sat May 11, 2024 2:56 pm

Dario at the minimum is an easy yes based on the season he just had, and that's without factoring in the vibes. A tough, rebounding, stretch 4/5 fills a need for the team.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,180

Post#983 » by mjkvol » Sat May 11, 2024 3:05 pm

76ciology wrote:We’re probably the only team in the history of the league that is looking for a “closer” with their third star.

That's a great overall post that flat out nails what we should be looking for, but this is the money quote.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,243

Post#984 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 11, 2024 3:08 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Agree, but let’s get guys 30 years or younger to do that. Alex Caruso, Kyle Anderson, Gary Harris, Melton, Royce O’Neale, Caleb Martin, Jalen Smith, etc.

Can't keep signing old dudes and then get disappointment when they underwhelm playing 30 mpg in the playoffs.

Outside of Caleb Martin, I don't think any of those guys can score double figures in the playoffs. And there's competition for their services that would drive up their cost and make them a negative asset, all things considered for what they actually provide.

At this point, I just hope we can secure 4 guys that matter (Embiid/Maxey/Oubre/max contract) and then the rest would be vet minimum guys and hopefully Council and/or our 1st rounder emerges as a double digit scorer that produces in the playoffs for us.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#985 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 11, 2024 3:16 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Agree, but let’s get guys 30 years or younger to do that. Alex Caruso, Kyle Anderson, Gary Harris, Melton, Royce O’Neale, Caleb Martin, Jalen Smith, etc.

Can't keep signing old dudes and then get disappointment when they underwhelm playing 30 mpg in the playoffs.

Outside of Caleb Martin, I don't think any of those guys can score double figures in the playoffs. And there's competition for their services that would drive up their cost and make them a negative asset, all things considered for what they actually provide.

At this point, I just hope we can secure 4 guys that matter (Embiid/Maxey/Oubre/max contract) and then the rest would be vet minimum guys and hopefully Council and/or our 1st rounder emerges as a double digit scorer that produces in the playoffs for us.

I think this will be the problem with going the PG/Butler route instead of the two $20-25 mil guy route. It’s going to be near impossible to have 5-6 guys in the rotation who can score when it matters. Even Oubre struggled at times against New York.

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#986 » by the_process » Sat May 11, 2024 3:18 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I think Morey is just putting rumors out there on George so the Clippers fold on offering the 4th year. It's advantageous to us given that we hold some of their draft control. The more you can box that roster in, the more valuable those picks are.

Morey typically does not care about draft picks except as trade chips.
the_process
RealGM

Post#987 » by the_process » Sat May 11, 2024 3:42 pm

76ciology wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

If Charlotte really wants to change the culture... sign Klay and trade for Dray. From there, shouldn't be too hard to tamper with Steph and get him to ask to come home to finish it out.
the_process
RealGM

Post#988 » by the_process » Sat May 11, 2024 3:43 pm

76ciology wrote:We’re probably the only team in the history of the league that is looking for a “closer” with their third star.

Why do we think that is?
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,180

Post#989 » by mjkvol » Sat May 11, 2024 4:22 pm

Kobblehead wrote:

I'd love to see Council and the picks we hopefully keep get a shot to be rotation players, but I'm not sure that's in Morey's and Nurse's short term plan.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM

Post#990 » by the_process » Sat May 11, 2024 4:22 pm

SixersSince82 wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
Stanford wrote:Is George for space and Murray for picks possible at any point this year?

It is, but I believe it has to be done before Maxey extension.

How are you guys coming up with your numbers?

I'm under the impression that we will have somewhere around $55million in cap space with Joel, Reed, Council, Maxey's cap hold and the incomplete roster spot costs. If PGs max starts at 49mil that would leave us well short of Murray or even Derozan level money. Even removing Reeds 8mil doesn't get you close.

I'm not 100%, but if they let everyone go except Maxey, Embiid, Council, and Melton; I believe they can start Pal Jorge at 45M. Now that's not a full max, but 4/194. If that works, then they can use Melton's bird rights to sign him to a 3-75 deal where years 2 and 3 are UNG. That matches Murray's salary, add two firsts to complete the swap.

Add Oubre on the room exception. Hopefully Lowry, Dario, and Drummond on minimums. Don't think Batum comes back on a minimum. So now you have:

Murray/Lowry
Maxey/Oubre
George/Council
16/Saric
Embiid/Drummond

I'll take that for a year, and then add next offseason. Then it's winding it down for a year or two to rebuild around Maxey.
the_process
RealGM

Post#991 » by the_process » Sat May 11, 2024 4:47 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:

I'd love to see Council and the picks we hopefully keep get a shot to be rotation players, but I'm not sure that's in Morey's and Nurse's short term plan.

If you want the Sixers to use 16, and maybe even the 2nds... then you want them to sign Paul George. That's your shot at it. Otherwise Morey is going to trade them.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#992 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 11, 2024 4:51 pm

A Creative Team Building Exercise (Part 1)

1. Draft Terrence Shannon Jr. at #16
2. Trade Reed, 2026 1st, 2028 LAC 1st, and 2029 1st swap (top-5 protected) for DeJounte Murrary
3. Sign Miles Bridges, Jonas Valanciunas, and De'Anthony Melton with remaining cap space (~$40 mil total)
4. Sign Kyle Anderson with the room exception
5. Sign Kyle Lowry, Cam Payne, Dario Saric, Robert Covington, and Nico Batum with vet mins (continuity and vibes group)

Maxey/Payne/Lowry
Murray/Melton/Council
Bridges/Batum/Shannon
Anderson/Saric/Covington
Embiid/Valanciunas/(Project)

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 560

Post#993 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:06 pm

Not making oubre a priority is pretty dumb
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,855

Post#994 » by 76ciology » Sat May 11, 2024 5:07 pm

the_process wrote:

Why do we think that is?

Imagine being in crunch time with one of the all-time great scorers in league history, Joel Embiid, and a guy like Maxey who averaged almost 30ppg and a 57% TS. Yet, you're going to ask someone like Dejounte Murray win the championship for you? Something doesn't seem right.

What we need is to build a team that can set up both Embiid and Maxey effectively, ensuring they stay fresh and get better opportunities than the opponent's top players.

There are numerous ways we can achieve that goal, but for me, it comes down to two key factors. First, we need to find an offensive engine for the minutes when Embiid is off the court, the easiest way is to find a pick-and-roll partner for Maxey. Second, we should find a player or players who can lighten Embiid’s defensive workload and can maintain our defense if Embiid is not playing or not 100%.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,596

Post#995 » by youngcrev » Sat May 11, 2024 5:24 pm

Thoughts on trading 16 for an early 2nd and a decent (on paper) future 1st?

2nd round picks don't count against the cap, so you'd be freeing up an extra couple million for free agency, and pushing a trade chip down the road if you don't have anything lined up on draft night.

Or do you just stick at 16 since (hopefully) its the highest pick we'll have for a while?
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,243

Post#996 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 11, 2024 5:30 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:A Creative Team Building Exercise (Part 1)

1. Draft Terrence Shannon Jr. at #16
2. Trade Reed, 2026 1st, 2028 LAC 1st, and 2029 1st swap (top-5 protected) for DeJounte Murrary
3. Sign Miles Bridges, Jonas Valanciunas, and De'Anthony Melton with remaining cap space (~$40 mil total)
4. Sign Kyle Anderson with the room exception
5. Sign Kyle Lowry, Cam Payne, Dario Saric, Robert Covington, and Nico Batum with vet mins (continuity and vibes group)

Maxey/Payne/Lowry
Murray/Melton/Council
Bridges/Batum/Shannon
Anderson/Saric/Covington
Embiid/Valanciunas/(Project)

I like most of this except for DeJounte Murray.

Terrence Shannon and Miles Bridges would be a bold ass move. PR nightmare.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,104

Post#997 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 11, 2024 6:54 pm

76ciology wrote:
the_process wrote:

Why do we think that is?

Imagine being in crunch time with one of the all-time great scorers in league history, Joel Embiid, and a guy like Maxey who averaged almost 30ppg and a 57% TS. Yet, you're going to ask someone like Dejounte Murray win the championship for you? Something doesn't seem right.

What we need is to build a team that can set up both Embiid and Maxey effectively, ensuring they stay fresh and get better opportunities than the opponent's top players.

There are numerous ways we can achieve that goal, but for me, it comes down to two key factors. First, we need to find an offensive engine for the minutes when Embiid is off the court, the easiest way is to find a pick-and-roll partner for Maxey. Second, we should find a player or players who can lighten Embiid’s defensive workload and can maintain our defense if Embiid is not playing or not 100%.

Maxey is very good in end of game situations, so why would we be asking Dejounte to close games? I’m not following the premise.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 560

Post#998 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:46 pm

Nah go Ingram he's close to Maxey age we need a team not dependant on Embiid . He is not reliable health wise. Ingram and Maxey can carry the load as a tandem and preserve Embiid health. Sign Oubre be cause he's the only wing we have and actually has a bag . Paul Reed can go. Melton can maybe stay for right price . Batum min sure...
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#999 » by ankle420breaker » Sat May 11, 2024 8:09 pm

I don't get the D Murray intrigue. Decent contract, but simply not a needle moving player for us.

If we're looking for a similar archetype player then just sign Haywood Highsmith for cheap and use our draft assets to acquire an actual gamer that brings us up a tier to compete with the likes of Boston.

Sent from my SM-S921U using RealGM mobile app
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,577

Post#1000 » by GoSixersBro » Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 pm

Valanciunas not rejoining New Orleans next season.

Get the man here. Would slot in as the best back-up center in the league and could get Joel some much needed rest throughout the regular season.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016

Return to Philadelphia 76ers