Welcome Jaden Springer

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,831

Re: Welcome Jaden Springer 

Post#381 » by phillynative » Wed Mar 1, 2023 8:53 pm

mccluskey wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Yeah we let go our best shooter for nothing, great. Joe has been fantastic for OKC and they are developing quick.

I just don’t get the management, entering prime years, clearly put on pounds in the off season, was clearly a step above in summer league.

And now we have Springer whose development has stalled because his shooting mechanics clearly looks bunk from range.

I do cut him some slack as he’s more of a project pick than an actual solidified skill player.

Springer's shooting mechanics do look pretty bad, but he's shown some improvement recently. In eleven games this February, he's shooting almost 35% from 3pt range on 4.2 att/game and has also been hitting 10-12 foot pullups off penetration pretty regularly.

he's still limited offensively - he almost never kicks the ball out to shooters or finds an open man off his drives, it's always get in the paint and try to jump over people to score, plus he tends to dribble into bad situations and lose the ball way too much - but he's starting to look a little better with his shooting and picking his spots for when to attack.

Springer's also been the best player on the Blue Coats at getting to the foul line in the regular season, too.

So would you say Springer is more of a undersized wing instead of combo guard?
phillynative
General Manager

Post#382 » by phillynative » Wed Mar 1, 2023 8:54 pm

mccluskey wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Yeah we let go our best shooter for nothing, great. Joe has been fantastic for OKC and they are developing quick.

I just don’t get the management, entering prime years, clearly put on pounds in the off season, was clearly a step above in summer league.

And now we have Springer whose development has stalled because his shooting mechanics clearly looks bunk from range.

I do cut him some slack as he’s more of a project pick than an actual solidified skill player.

Springer's shooting mechanics do look pretty bad, but he's shown some improvement recently. In eleven games this February, he's shooting almost 35% from 3pt range on 4.2 att/game and has also been hitting 10-12 foot pullups off penetration pretty regularly.

he's still limited offensively - he almost never kicks the ball out to shooters or finds an open man off his drives, it's always get in the paint and try to jump over people to score, plus he tends to dribble into bad situations and lose the ball way too much - but he's starting to look a little better with his shooting and picking his spots for when to attack.

Springer's also been the best player on the Blue Coats at getting to the foul line in the regular season, too.

mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 623

Post#383 » by mccluskey » Thu Mar 2, 2023 1:23 am

phillynative wrote:
mccluskey wrote:

somebody else in this thread said something like Springer's got a SG body and a PF game, and I agree with that.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#384 » by phillynative » Thu Mar 2, 2023 1:45 am

mccluskey wrote:
phillynative wrote:
mccluskey wrote:

somebody else in this thread said something like Springer's got a SG body and a PF game, and I agree with that.

:(
mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 623

Post#385 » by mccluskey » Thu Mar 2, 2023 12:21 pm

phillynative wrote:
mccluskey wrote:
phillynative wrote:

:(

it's not all bad though, I like the kid - he seems to be a good teammate, and he gives max effort all the time on the court. He's such a freak athlete and elite defender that he could still be a valuable roster piece if he can improve his shooting and recognition of how to play the game a little bit more.

he's shown some signs of progress this season already and is young enough that there's still plenty of time to grow, so it's way too early to give up on him.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,035

Post#386 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 3, 2023 3:18 pm

ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#387 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Mar 3, 2023 5:11 pm

It's promising to know Morey mentioned that he'll get playing time next year. He'll probably take Shake's current 10-15 mpg. He's going to give people fits on defense. If he can knock down the 3, he can become a real contributor.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#388 » by SixthStreet » Fri Mar 3, 2023 5:44 pm

Every highlight video is the same, tons of dribbling and moves against non-NBA athletes and length. None of this is going to translate and he has no secondary offensive skill. No playmaking, no shooting. He can probably give you bench scoring like Shake does but none of the playmaking or shooting Shake offers. Better defense obviously. So I see overall a Shake type effectiveness but done differently. Not great but fair outcome late in round 1. Have 2 years of cost controlled bench minutes left. If he learns how to shoot great but not holding my breath.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#389 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 3, 2023 6:08 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Every highlight video is the same, tons of dribbling and moves against non-NBA athletes and length. None of this is going to translate and he has no secondary offensive skill. No playmaking, no shooting. He can probably give you bench scoring like Shake does but none of the playmaking or shooting Shake offers. Better defense obviously. So I see overall a Shake type effectiveness but done differently. Not great but fair outcome late in round 1. Have 2 years of cost controlled bench minutes left. If he learns how to shoot great but not holding my breath.

I think you have to look at it in the context of what he'll be asked to do for the Sixers. He will be, at minimum, as good of a three point shooter as Thybulle was, but also has the capability of taking his man off the dribble and getting to his sweet spots (either elbow). He has also shown a great ability to draw contact at the rim. He's been about an 80% FT shooter the past two months which lines up with his college shooting.

Shake was the primary ballhandler and scorer in the G League which is why he obliterated everyone and scored as well as he did. That's great, but they are different players. Springer is scoring as an off ball guy who shows major flashes of elite defensive ability (which is hard to do in the G League). I also love his effort. Melton level on chasing rebounds and playing great defense. That's something we'll need desperately moving forward as many of our guys look like they're sleepwalking through games aside from a few: Melton, Reed, McDaniels.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#390 » by sodmoraes » Fri Mar 3, 2023 7:11 pm

Yep, next year he should take Shake minutes. I like shake, but he´s the odd man out here. We should probably try to trade shake( and tobi) next year, for a good SF. We are good at guard posioton, with Harden, Maxey , Melton and Springer next year.
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,964

Post#391 » by Mik317 » Fri Mar 3, 2023 7:38 pm

Shake is a FA , no?
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#392 » by Skates » Fri Mar 3, 2023 8:02 pm

Mik317 wrote:Shake is a FA , no?

Shake, Niang, Dedmon and McDaniels are all UFA's, Reed is an RFA next summer, plus a bunch of "H" guys with player options, Harden, House and Harrell. The two way guys are considered RFA's too I believe.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,614

Post#393 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Mar 3, 2023 11:27 pm

Man, If you all think this year we weren't going anymore, wait until next year when all of our superstar studs like Shake, Niang, and McDaniels are gone and we're left with Embiid, Maxey, and Harris. Gonna be rough. In all seriousness I will miss Shake. I really thought he could have been something here. The guy has always played well as a starter in this league. He's going to sign elsewhere this summer and become a starter that averages 18/6/4 for a few years and we're all going to complain about how much we was underused by Doc while he was here. The same people that say players like Shake are easily replaceable are the same ones that complain about Isaiah Joe every time he hits 7 threes in a game for OKC. The fact is that we criminally underuse the homegrown talent that we do acquire. Maxey is the exception and he's currently coming off the bench. Springer really needs a fair shot at some minutes next year.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#394 » by the_process » Fri Mar 3, 2023 11:34 pm

I will be stunned if Springer is an NBA contributor. Sometimes people strain too hard to see what isn't there.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#395 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Sat Mar 4, 2023 7:33 pm

I think he can replace shake lol he's already a better athlete and defender.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#396 » by Negrodamus » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:11 pm

https://youtu.be/-AYRkGFPkcE?t=177

I love that he went for it, but lol, no chance.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#397 » by phillynative » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:13 pm

Negrodamus wrote:https://youtu.be/-AYRkGFPkcE?t=177

I love that he went for it, but lol, no chance.

Look like he was fouled
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,702

Post#398 » by rzzzzz » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:36 pm

So what’s the deal? Nick is giving significant minutes to guys who don’t score much, but do all of them play better D than Springer?
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,098

Post#399 » by Embiid P » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:50 pm

rzzzzz wrote:So what’s the deal? Nick is giving significant minutes to guys who don’t score much, but do all of them play better D than Springer?

Springer would be the perfect defender on Haliburton at least for certain stretches. Yes, there'd be some growing pains but at the very least, he couldn't be any worse than the guys who were defending him last night, could he?

I hope Nurse is just experimenting with the rotation atm because if he insists on having House, Jr. and Morris ahead of Springer and KMJ, it doesn’t make him much different than Doc, does it?
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#400 » by Negrodamus » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:58 pm

Embiid P wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:So what’s the deal? Nick is giving significant minutes to guys who don’t score much, but do all of them play better D than Springer?

Springer would be the perfect defender on Haliburton at least for certain stretches. Yes, there'd be some growing pains but at the very least, he couldn't be any worse than the guys who were defending him last night, could he?

I hope Nurse is just experimenting with the rotation atm because if he insists on having House, Jr. and Morris ahead of Springer and KMJ, it doesn’t make him much different than Doc, does it?

He really should have been on Haliburton. He's one of the POA defenders in the league, but his struggle is getting caught between a screen and the ballhandler baiting for a foul. Haliburton doesn't really have that in his bag (as far as I've seen). Figure out how to use him on offense and then let him shut down the main backcourt threat on defense.

I'm sure there are things behind the scenes that we don't see that is preventing him from playing, but they should really figure it out.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers