ImageImageImage

2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,211

Re: 2023-2024 College Basketball / NBA Draft 

Post#361 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 4, 2024 12:33 pm

Arsenal wrote:I don't like Da Silva solely due to poor rebounding numbers. Maybe it's trauma from the Knicks series but I want dogs who are hungry to crash the glass.

I get that sentiment, but it's going to be hard to find guys who can clean the defensive glass that aren't projected to be moved to the 5 at the next level. Filipowski, Holmes, Ware, Hall, etc...these guys are getting stuck at C. Nurse especially wouldn't even consider playing them at PF.

Looking out West, the Thunder play Jalen Williams (11.8% defensive rebounding) and the Nuggets play Aaron Gordon (13.9% defensive rebounding) at PF in their most played lineups.

So while Tristan Da Silva's 13.7% defensive rebounding isn't good, it's regretfully in line with the modern trend of SF/PF hybrid players filling the PF minutes in these lineups.

Rebounding just has to be a team concept nowadays. Some players need to box out and some need to crash. It's up to the coach to figure it out.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,120

Post#362 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 12:47 pm

Reading about all of these potential additions in the draft, I can't help but get bummed by the idea that Morey will end up moving the pick along with the bunch of picks we have over the next few seasons in some ill-fated move for a "third star", and we're not going to see any youth here until this thing implodes.

I hope like hell I'm wrong, because it would be great to have a running buddy for Maxey to see grow here instead of elsewhere.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#363 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 4, 2024 12:49 pm

I wish this class had a Tari Eason type.

Unfortunately, the only defensive juggernaut is Ryan Dunn, who can't score or shoot. He would totally be Elton's pick if he was drafting this year.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#364 » by stormi » Sat May 4, 2024 1:18 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:McCullar or Carter definitely seem like the 2 most ready to play contributors at guard that would be available. Carter is a little shorter than we’d like, but I think he makes up for it in toughness and hustle. Both are rather safe guys that maybe don’t have the highest ceiling, but I think both are safe to be 15-20 min role players right away

Carter would be awesome if he were like 6'4 or 6'5 (Hart/Caruso/White size). I don't know if I trust those measurables all the way. Both his height and his wingspan seem a tad bit inflated, but he's constantly racking up hustle plays. Extremely disruptive in the passing lanes, sticky man defense and screen navigation and he blocks shots not only at the rim but on pull up jumpers. So maybe it's my eyes lying and not the film.

I'm not colossally moved by him, but I don't dislike him either. In the same range as TDS for me.

Walter and Ware are the the only two prospects in our range that have wowed me so far.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#365 » by PhillyFan11 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:34 pm

stormi wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:McCullar or Carter definitely seem like the 2 most ready to play contributors at guard that would be available. Carter is a little shorter than we’d like, but I think he makes up for it in toughness and hustle. Both are rather safe guys that maybe don’t have the highest ceiling, but I think both are safe to be 15-20 min role players right away

Carter would be awesome if he were like 6'4 or 6'5 (Hart/Caruso/White size). I don't know if I trust those measurables all the way. Both his height and his wingspan seem a tad bit inflated, but he's constantly racking up hustle plays. Extremely disruptive in the passing lanes, sticky man defense and screen navigation and he blocks shots not only at the rim but on pull up jumpers. So maybe it's my eyes lying and not the film.

I'm not colossally moved by him, but I don't dislike him either. In the same range as TDS for me.

Walter and Ware are the the only two prospects in our range that have wowed me so far.

Yeah Carter definitely isn’t a “wow” prospect, but i think he has a very high floor of being a solid role player. Can he become some version of Marcus Smart?
stormi
General Manager

Post#366 » by stormi » Sat May 4, 2024 1:51 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
stormi wrote:

Yeah Carter definitely isn’t a “wow” prospect, but i think he has a very high floor of being a solid role player. Can he become some version of Marcus Smart?

I don't find it physically possible. Marcus Smart is like a top 1 percentile outcome for that archetype. His defensive versatility from guards to centers is rare and he's built like a linebacker. Also his level of instincts and gamesmanship (flopping) aren't attributes that you'll find in every draft class.

I'm thinking if he tightens his handle and can prove he can finish against length and his jumper translates than he'll be a Derrick White-lite.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,120

Post#367 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 2:04 pm

stormi wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
stormi wrote:

I don't find it physically possible. Marcus Smart is like a top 1 percentile outcome for that archetype. His defensive versatility from guards to centers is rare and he's built like a linebacker. Also his instincts and gamesmanship (flopping) aren't attributes that you'll find in every draft class.

I'm thinking if he tightens his handle and can prove he can finish against length and his jumper translates than he'll be a Derrick White-lite.

I'd sign up for that in a second.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
stormi
General Manager

Post#368 » by stormi » Sat May 4, 2024 4:45 pm

Nique Clifford is interesting if you liked Devin Carter. His guard/forward defense feels more projectible at 6'5/6'6 200lbs. Looks like a championship complimentary piece.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#369 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 4, 2024 7:37 pm

The case for Devin Carter is that Nurse has a propensity for playing dual munchkins and he could recognize a little Lowry in him.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#370 » by Kobblehead » Sat May 4, 2024 7:49 pm

mjkvol wrote:Reading about all of these potential additions in the draft, I can't help but get bummed by the idea that Morey will end up moving the pick along with the bunch of picks we have over the next few seasons in some ill-fated move for a "third star", and we're not going to see any youth here until this thing implodes.

I hope like hell I'm wrong, because it would be great to have a running buddy for Maxey to see grow here instead of elsewhere.

It's definitely a possibility.

However, I think the way this class shakes out and the organizational circumstance we're currently in, it bodes well for us making a selection.

This draft has a nice handful of pro-ready college vet scoring stars with size on the wing. A GM feeling pressure for win-now pieces like Morey is more likely to keep the pick and make a selection, IMO.

If this were a teenager-centric draft with more projects, I could see us trading the pick.
stormi
General Manager

Post#371 » by stormi » Sun May 5, 2024 1:26 am

Was watching some of Kobble's boy Jaylon Tyson. Feels undervalued, should be a top 20 pick.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#372 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 1:35 am

I'm interested in trading down to pick up an extra 2nd. Maybe #16 to ORL for #18 and #47? Seems we may be able to grab a couple decent older players in the 2nd. We'll definitely need cheap contributors next year to fill out the roster.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#373 » by PhillyFan11 » Sun May 5, 2024 2:30 am

If we go upside pick at 16 I wouldn’t mind Tyler Smith at all. He’s a freak show of an athlete at 6’11 and has a pretty smooth lefty jumper. Could develop into the prototype stretch 4 if everything goes well.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#374 » by youngcrev » Sun May 5, 2024 2:31 am

There any decent backup 5s they could potentially get early in the 2nd?
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#375 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 3:02 am

youngcrev wrote:There any decent backup 5s they could potentially get early in the 2nd?

Zach Edey. Seriously I wonder if he can be effective as a backup C for 10-15 mpg behind Embiid. He’s certainly big enough not to get bodied like Reed did by the Knicks centers.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#376 » by youngcrev » Sun May 5, 2024 3:13 am

Arsenal wrote:
youngcrev wrote:There any decent backup 5s they could potentially get early in the 2nd?

Zach Edey. Seriously I wonder if he can be effective as a backup C for 10-15 mpg behind Embiid. He’s certainly big enough not to get bodied like Reed did by the Knicks centers.

Edey gonna go that late? Too slow footed defensively for NBA standards I assume?
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#377 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 3:15 am

youngcrev wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Edey gonna go that late? Too slow footed defensively for NBA standards I assume?

Tankathon has him at #30. We’ll see.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#378 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 5, 2024 3:18 am

stormi wrote:Was watching some of Kobble's boy Jaylon Tyson. Feels undervalued, should be a top 20 pick.

Reminds me a lot of former Cal Golden Bear, Allen Crabbe.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/jaylon-tyson
https://www.tankathon.com/players/allen-crabbe

Size, metrics, stats, strengths and weaknesses are very similar.

Crabbe was never the same after a 2018 knee surgery. Probably would have had a nice, long career as a 10-12 ppg player. Which is what I see Tyson being.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#379 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 5, 2024 3:25 am

Arsenal wrote:

Edey would be perfect.

We've tried for years to have a shotblocker as Embiid's back up. Ef that, I think we just need to have a ppg beast playing the non-Embiid minutes so the offense doesn't die.

Edey is a dominant scorer.

I think someone takes him in the 20s, though. Just a hunch.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,798

Post#380 » by 76ciology » Sun May 5, 2024 3:30 am

What is the % the 16th pick gets traded?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers