Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 857

Re: We can win a title with this team if healthy 

Post#41 » by Ferry Avenue » Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:27 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Doramas wrote:
Stanford wrote:We should just trade Embiid (losing genome) for a winning genome guy like Caleb Martin or Bruce Brown.

That's what you are saying, not me. Embiid is the second best center in the competition, but in the regular season. So far he hasn't shown anything noteworthy in the playoffs, and that's Joel's reality. That's why, because he's lacking, he needs to be helped. I don't think I'm saying anything that nobody has seen.

Burner account? Once Ferry and1s this post, we'll all be fooled.

Not me. I disagree with the guy -- your leader does have to be your best player to distinguish the team from the best competition in the league. It doesn't hurt to have PJ Tuckers being your leaders, until your team faces the other best teams in the league in the playoffs, and then it's insufficient.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,830

Post#42 » by phillynative » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:26 pm

This is funny
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,115

Post#43 » by TheBallsDeeper » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:08 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Doramas wrote:That's what you are saying, not me. Embiid is the second best center in the competition, but in the regular season. So far he hasn't shown anything noteworthy in the playoffs, and that's Joel's reality. That's why, because he's lacking, he needs to be helped. I don't think I'm saying anything that nobody has seen.

Burner account? Once Ferry and1s this post, we'll all be fooled.

Not me. I disagree with the guy -- your leader does have to be your best player to distinguish the team from the best competition in the league. It doesn't hurt to have PJ Tuckers being your leaders, until your team faces the other best teams in the league in the playoffs, and then it's insufficient.

That's one of the biggest problems with American basketball and why teams with less talent are beating them internally.

This crap of having an "Alpha", "It's his team", and the most cringe-worthy by far "He's Him", just leads to losing basketball. The only saving grace for NBA teams is the majority of the teams in the NBA are dysfunctional, so they get away with it. When you have a well-coached side playing team basketball and leadership within the group, you get a dynasty. Like the Spurs.

The best player is rarely the best leader, and most NBA teams seem to not want to listen to proper coaching and instead let the most athletically talented players play hero ball.

Good leaders elevate the rest of the team, not push all the teammates aside. Anyone who thinks that either Embiid or Maxey needs to take over the team to win a championship hasn't got a clue.

Sixers need a strong coach and not rely on Embiid to be a leader, it's not what he is good at. Look at Kawhi in Toronto - he was the best player in the league and was just able to play his role.

Sixers need better leadership, and Embiid and Maxey need to play their role, play team basketball, not play hero ball, and get too emotional trying to be something they are not.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,702

Post#44 » by rzzzzz » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:01 pm

The next time Embiid reaches the 2nd round healthy will be his first time. Hope this is the year.
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#45 » by Covi_Marsh » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:22 pm

Embiid seem to love Batum in the lineup as a shooter, defender, passer. We need to add another Batum-esque role player. Caruso, Gordon Heyward?
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,335

Post#46 » by Murray_17 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:01 pm

Covi_Marsh wrote:Embiid seem to love Batum in the lineup as a shooter, defender, passer. We need to add another Batum-esque role player. Caruso, Gordon Heyward?

He's the best entry passer we have on the team, which is sad :lol:
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#47 » by TheBallsDeeper » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:04 pm

Covi_Marsh wrote:Embiid seem to love Batum in the lineup as a shooter, defender, passer. We need to add another Batum-esque role player. Caruso, Gordon Heyward?

Heyward has been cooked for years. Not NBA standard by a long way.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,571

Post#48 » by youngcrev » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:53 pm

Rescue Bogdanovic from the Pistons?
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#49 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:27 am

youngcrev wrote:

My only question is can he play decent enough perimeter D against a team like the Celtics?
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#50 » by Covi_Marsh » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:01 pm

TheBallsDeeper wrote:

Looked okay contributing 20 points in a win vs Boston last night lol. I think he’d be okay in a role as a 5th option. That has the Bball IQ to find open teammates or shoot the open 3 or just get a bucket off the bench. But his is too hefty to match salary.

Caruso or Bogdanovic are better options although they’re also have higher value so it’ll cost a little more to acquire them.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,613

Post#51 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:24 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

My only question is can he play decent enough perimeter D against a team like the Celtics?

I like him, but he'll get cooked trying to play defense on Brown or Tatum. I don't think it's a good idea to trade for him. There's a reason he's still rotting in Detroit.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#52 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:35 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

I like him, but he'll get cooked trying to play defense on Brown or Tatum. I don't think it's a good idea to trade for him. There's a reason he's still rotting in Detroit.

Yeah I’ve been wanting a trade for Bogdanovic, but when you really think about it it may not be a good fit. Maxey-Oubre-Bogdanovic-Tobi-Jo would be a very nice offensive team…but don’t see how that lineup plays even passable D against good teams. We need a 2 way player, if not we’d probably just be better off playing Melton and Batum/RoCo.

Gary Trent Jr might be my favorite target that we could hopefully get for a handful of 2nd’s.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,613

Post#53 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:47 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:

Yeah I’ve been wanting a trade for Bogdanovic, but when you really think about it it may not be a good fit. Maxey-Oubre-Bogdanovic-Tobi-Jo would be a very nice offensive team…but don’t see how that lineup plays even passable D against good teams. We need a 2 way player, if not we’d probably just be better off playing Melton and Batum/RoCo.

Gary Trent Jr might be my favorite target that we could hopefully get for a handful of 2nd’s.

GT would be huge for us! Especially if we could get him for a handful of 2nds. I love Gary Trent jr. He can really shoot the rock, but he's also got the size to be a good defensive player and not be a liability in the playoffs. I do believe he was hurt against us in the playoffs two years ago? But yeah, he's a damn good guard. Not a superstar player, but the guy can hit some big time shots. Plays off the ball well and can create his. I'd rather have him over some of the guys like LaVine, and Buddy Hield that keep getting brought up.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#54 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:44 pm

Covi_Marsh wrote:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:

Looked okay contributing 20 points in a win vs Boston last night lol. I think he’d be okay in a role as a 5th option. That has the Bball IQ to find open teammates or shoot the open 3 or just get a bucket off the bench. But his is too hefty to match salary.

Caruso or Bogdanovic are better options although they’re also have higher value so it’ll cost a little more to acquire them.

I was surprised at how good his defense was against the Celtics. Spent a lot of time guarding Tatum, and although Tatum scored a lot, it was more from team defense breakdown. The coach seemed to have Heyward as their first option on defense.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#55 » by the_process » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:07 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
PhillyFan11 wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

GT would be huge for us! Especially if we could get him for a handful of 2nds. I love Gary Trent jr. He can really shoot the rock, but he's also got the size to be a good defensive player and not be a liability in the playoffs. I do believe he was hurt against us in the playoffs two years ago? But yeah, he's a damn good guard. Not a superstar player, but the guy can hit some big time shots. Plays off the ball well and can create his. I'd rather have him over some of the guys like LaVine, and Buddy Hield that keep getting brought up.

I keep hearing that Nurse didn't like Trent? But he definitely fits the profile of what they should want in a backcourt partner for Maxey.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers