ImageImageImage

Can the Sixers get Marcus Smart?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,115

Can the Sixers get Marcus Smart? 

Post#1 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Jan 9, 2024 11:31 am

Memphis are done for the year with Morant's injury, they will go full tank.

Maxey is a seriously undersized shooting guard relying on circus shots and is a liability on defense. He needs a big defensive guard with playmaking ability beside him to allow him to be a high-impact player.

Sixers **** the bed in not chasing Jrue Holiday. Marcus Smart is the next best thing. Outside of his flopping, he ads toughness, leadership, defense and playmaking. He would also be the type to hold Embiid to account.

Is there anything the Sixers can offer that would get the deal done??

Aside from Maxey and Embiid, I don't think any player on the roster has positive trade value. Oubre could get something for a team in win now, but with his contract he is no value to a tanking team , I don't think anyone else on the team really has any trade value.

I'm not sure what picks the Sixers have - any ideas if there is a chance of trading for Smart???
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 583

Re: Can the Sixers get Marcus Smart? 

Post#2 » by blargh » Tue Jan 9, 2024 12:35 pm

Smart isn’t a big guard though. He’s big for a PG, and he plays tougher than his size, but at the end of the day Maxey/Smart would be an undersized backcourt.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,825

Post#3 » by the_process » Tue Jan 9, 2024 1:31 pm

Smart > Melton, which is the main consideration here.

But they just paid two 1sts for Smart, and will not be tanking past this year.

Don't really see Memphis selling. I think they just let it ride.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,986

Post#4 » by Mik317 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 2:06 pm

blargh wrote:Smart isn’t a big guard though. He’s big for a PG, and he plays tougher than his size, but at the end of the day Maxey/Smart would be an undersized backcourt.

He has a 6'9 wingspan and is girthy (pause) so that makes up for it.

but he also has been awful this year, no?
#NeverGonnaBeGood
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 558

Post#5 » by PhillyNj » Tue Jan 9, 2024 3:32 pm

I’d love Smart here, but what’s the cost?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,805

Post#6 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:21 pm

Yes, Pat Beverly. He can babysit Ja Morant better.

Add Marcus Morris if you want to scare him straight.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,145

Post#7 » by mjkvol » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:25 pm

Fool's gold. Everyone gets caught up in his "dawg" antics and hot shooting in that last Celtics series, but at the end of the day Smart is far from a difference maker, and whatever the cost is will be a waste of resources.

I get that many on here are on the "we have to do something" train, but using trade capital on players like Smart or Lavine will be the death knell of the Embiid years. Morey worked too hard to get us in a position of having some assets, and I can't imagine he's going to flush them down the toilet on guys like this.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Covi_Marsh
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#8 » by Covi_Marsh » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:38 pm

Relying on circus shots? That’s crazy :lol: step backs and floaters. Why do we even put him on the floor taking b those ridiculous shots
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,224

Post#9 » by Kobblehead » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:13 pm

I think Smart is a clear downgrade from Melton.
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 266

Post#10 » by sixerguy » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:23 pm

mjkvol wrote:Fool's gold. Everyone gets caught up in his "dawg" antics and hot shooting in that last Celtics series, but at the end of the day Smart is far from a difference maker, and whatever the cost is will be a waste of resources.

I get that many on here are on the "we have to do something" train, but using trade capital on players like Smart or Lavine will be the death knell of the Embiid years. Morey worked too hard to get us in a position of having some assets, and I can't imagine he's going to flush them down the toilet on guys like this.

I'd have to take a deeper look at the cap but for only $20 mil a year, which will be just a hair over the MLE (unlike Lavine), seems fair value.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,605

Post#11 » by Jailblazers7 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:38 pm

I’d probably pass unless the price is low. I think the only unique attribute he’d bring to the team is point of attack defense, where he’s become noticeably worse at over the past couple years.

He’ll have some big playoff moments but he can also be baited into shooting his team out of the game. He’s certainly not innocent in Boston’s crunch time struggles come playoff time.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#12 » by Skates » Tue Jan 9, 2024 10:07 pm

The only guys I’d want from Memphis are Bane and JJR who aren’t going anywhere, so moving on from them.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#13 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 10:13 pm

Seems like a good idea on paper until Smart is jacking up 3’s and taking bad shots in key situations.

He’s obviously a good overall player, but I don’t see the cost of what it would take to get him as worth it. If Morey is going to trade 2 1st’s + for a player I think there would be better options
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,623

Post#14 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:53 am

No thanks from a personal point of view. I don't think Morey would have an interest either.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,805

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:04 am

PhillyFan11 wrote:Seems like a good idea on paper until Smart is jacking up 3’s and taking bad shots in key situations.

That’s what you are gonna get if you have a fake shot creator and teams deny your top guys.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 558

Post#16 » by PhillyNj » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:03 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I think Smart is a clear downgrade from Melton.

I watch every Sixers game and this is just wrong. Melton is a good bench guy. He’s a below average starter. Smart on the Sixers with Melton makes them better. If you’re trading Melton there’s not much point to the trade.
The biggest lesson from Embiid’s injury is “He’s the point guard”. With out him the passing and ball handling has been terrible.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#17 » by brannigan73 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:09 pm

Smart would likely have a comparable trade value to Murray who I would rather have.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#18 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:56 pm

He just strikes me as someone who won't thrive outside of the right system. I think he'll cost too much to acquire on top of that.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,224

Post#19 » by Kobblehead » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:06 am

PhillyNj wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I think Smart is a clear downgrade from Melton.

I watch every Sixers game and this is just wrong. Melton is a good bench guy. He’s a below average starter. Smart on the Sixers with Melton makes them better. If you’re trading Melton there’s not much point to the trade.
The biggest lesson from Embiid’s injury is “He’s the point guard”. With out him the passing and ball handling has been terrible.

That's nonsense. Melton is far better and more reliable a shooter than Smart, while being just as good a defender.

You want to go back to the days of Gs that can't shoot? That's backwards in every way.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,076

Post#20 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:19 am

Oh dear god no.

I curse this thread.

If he was in a Sixer uniform, he's the one guy that would make me watch more Netflix....singlehandedly

Return to Philadelphia 76ers