ImageImageImage

G43: Sixers at Pacers 1/25 7pm ET

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Re: G43: Sixers at Pacers 1/25 7pm ET 

Post#81 » by the_process » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:03 am

Murray_17 wrote:I think i'll never see someone quit so hard on a team like Kork lol

That's what you get from a guy who has asked out multiple times only to be completely ignored.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#82 » by brannigan73 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:36 am

Luckily I was at the gym for the first half of the game and while I was on the treadmill noticed we were down ten half way though the 2nd quarter and Embiid and Maxey had like 35 out of our 44 points and so its not surprising by the time I got home that we were down by 23 with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd and I promplty turned it off so I wasted very little time on this garbage. Our record against the top five teams in the eastern conference is terrible. Morey is going to do what he thinks best but people are nuts if they think this team can get to the finals as constituted I know we are dealing with some injuries but we just rely way too much on two guys. They need more shot creation and a wing/guard that can defend. This could be an ugly road trip. Too many people are still satisfied with the 50 wins and second round exists after all these years of it. I stopped getting stiffies beating the Detroits and Charlottes of the world by 50 a long time ago.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#83 » by SixthStreet » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:28 am

I wish there was an alternative development in which Korkmaz was good. I think he could have been a rotational NBA player and he has some flair to his game. It's too bad.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 731

Post#84 » by Lou_23 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:59 am

Worst energy game of the season. It was like they played the night before, terrible effort and intensity
Kova
Veteran
And1: 728

Post#85 » by Kova » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:18 am

Terrible game, the whole team took the night off. Especially on defense. Better move on to the next one asap.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,613

Post#86 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:36 am

Only energy I saw was from Council and Smith when they got into the game. Both played like they were on fire. KJ Martin had it too. Doesn't mean it translated, but it was the best we had looked all night when KJ, RCIV, Smith, and Reed were out there.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,035

Post#87 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:11 pm

I guess a bunch of guys were sick or had nagging injuries according to Nurse.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,551

Post#88 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:12 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I guess a bunch of guys were sick or had nagging injuries according to Nurse.
Not good for Jo he gets sick faster than anyone.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,035

Post#89 » by Negrodamus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:14 pm

I don't know if all his videos are this way, but he sounds like an average Sixer fan watching the Sixers.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#90 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:29 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

I don't know if all his videos are this way, but he sounds like an average Sixer fan watching the Sixers.

He's not wrong at all with the stuff he points out. I don't know that you can blame it all on Nurse though. Melton and Harris are both very good zone defenders and were MIA. Kelly Oubre not so much and he's one of the main culprits in the video not doing their job. Patrick Beverly is known as a great on ball defender, but his team/zone defense has always been in question going back to his Clipper days. Korkmaz and KJ Martin haven't been out there enough, but still...That's no excuse with zone defense. They teach you zone defense in JLeague. In 4th grade when we had our games at the Boys &Girls club every Saturday in Allentown...Our team knew how to play zone defense. Zone does get complicated at times when things go crazy and the ball starts to move and that's what Indy does best. Still...No excuse for the things he pointed out. Guarding air, not getting back on defense, lazy rotations, pointless switches, not going to the right spots. It gets confusing for the average joe playing ball. I know it would confuse me, but if I was getting paid millions of dollars to play that sport, I'd probably take the time to figure all that out. Still not gonna put this all on Nurse though. We've got some knuckleheads on this team.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,114

Post#91 » by mjkvol » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:05 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

He's not wrong at all with the stuff he points out. I don't know that you can blame it all on Nurse though. Melton and Harris are both very good zone defenders and were MIA. Kelly Oubre not so much and he's one of the main culprits in the video not doing their job. Patrick Beverly is known as a great on ball defender, but his team/zone defense has always been in question going back to his Clipper days. Korkmaz and KJ Martin haven't been out there enough, but still...That's no excuse with zone defense. They teach you zone defense in JLeague. In 4th grade when we had our games at the Boys &Girls club every Saturday in Allentown...Our team knew how to play zone defense. Zone does get complicated at times when things go crazy and the ball starts to move and that's what Indy does best. Still...No excuse for the things he pointed out. Guarding air, not getting back on defense, lazy rotations, pointless switches, not going to the right spots. It gets confusing for the average joe playing ball. I know it would confuse me, but if I was getting paid millions of dollars to play that sport, I'd probably take the time to figure all that out. Still not gonna put this all on Nurse though. We've got some knuckleheads on this team.

I lasted about 30 seconds. Does the guy have to shout right out of the gate? Sounds like he's auditioning for a sports talk radio/TV gig.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#92 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:37 am

mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I lasted about 30 seconds. Does the guy have to shout right out of the gate? Sounds like he's auditioning for a sports talk radio/TV gig.

I watched three more of his videos specifically related to us and the our mishaps on defense (Jazz, Knicks, and the Bulls losses). If you can stand his voice, the guy knows his **** when it comes to how defense should be played. He doesn't scream in all of his videos, but he's nitpicks to the point that it's maddening...But also correct. The main culprits are Kelly Oubre, Jaden Springer whenever he plays, Tyrese Maxey, and Paul Reed. Embiid and Batum get callouts as well, but not as often as those other guys.

Team defense is and was always very hard for me personally to understand because it gets so damn confusing at times in terms of where you need to rotate, on screens do I hedge or fight over top? Do I go under? Your guys have to read the play.

There's clips where we don't have our backs to the baseline on defense and that's a recipe for getting beat backdoor every single time. It's basically a layup line for the opposing team. Oubre, Marcus Morris, and Nic Batum are notorious for this.

There's a clip about us not boxing out after a shot. Something we all know we suck at...Rebounding. The entire team should be called out for that.

We do a lot of "ball watching" on defense and that's never a good thing because you lose site of your man. Players have to know where their assignment is and where the ball is. So other words, "head on a swivel." It's damn hard to do it in an organized game of 5V5, but these guys are getting paid millions and Nick Nurse is getting paid to teach that.

He pointed out how bad our zone is. Personally I don't think our zone is always as bad as he makes it sound, but it is bad at times. The problem with zone is our guys are guarding "air" at times because they don't know whether or not they need to move up to guard and when to do it. Again, they aren't reacting on the ball screens the way they should so they're getting beat and they have no help because guys don't know where to go. Embiid and Paul Reed are guilty of this all the time. They stand there in the paint and guard nothing and don't rotate until it's too late.

The other thing that we're doing that needs to stop is the pointless gambles after we make a basket. Again it's Kelly Oubre, Pat Bev, and Paul Reed that are constantly doing this. We score (which is great), but then we gamble on the inbounds pass or we gamble while the ball is being brought up the floor and it creates wide open lanes for drivers to either get to the rim or find an open shooter.

The science of defense in basketball, the fundamentals is actually pretty cool, but it's a tough study for a lot of guys. I played organized ball growing up as a kid and zone especially was hard for me to pick up. Some guys get it quicker and some guys don't. But...They teach zone defense to youth league players. Playing zone should not be anything new to our guys. With that being said, the zone is sometimes less effective in the NBA than it is vrs college where coaches like Jim Boeheim made final fours using it.

I think we need to play more man defense, but the issue with that is we're getting beat on rotations and we're not communicating. Once again he calls out Oubre for this. Maxey also gets a ton of blame as well. I know he's the prince of Philly right now, but he's not a very good defensive player and his gambles for steals have cost us big time. There was a clip in the Utah game where he's late getting out to guard Kelly Olynyk of all people and Olynyk beats him off the dribble for a layup. Pathetic defense on the part of Maxey.

If we can't get the concept of "team" defense figured out by the time the playoffs come around, we're looking at another 2nd round exit and another year of Embiids prime. The guy is very much correct in his videos, he's just a spaz. If you can get past his animated delivery, it's actually very interesting. One thing I wish he did was slow it down a bit and explain it more.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,098

Post#93 » by Embiid P » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:19 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

I watched three more of his videos specifically related to us and the our mishaps on defense (Jazz, Knicks, and the Bulls losses). If you can stand his voice, the guy knows his **** when it comes to how defense should be played. He doesn't scream in all of his videos, but he's nitpicks to the point that it's maddening...But also correct. The main culprits are Kelly Oubre, Jaden Springer whenever he plays, Tyrese Maxey, and Paul Reed. Embiid and Batum get callouts as well, but not as often as those other guys.

Team defense is and was always very hard for me personally to understand because it gets so damn confusing at times in terms of where you need to rotate, on screens do I hedge or fight over top? Do I go under? Your guys have to read the play.

There's clips where we don't have our backs to the baseline on defense and that's a recipe for getting beat backdoor every single time. It's basically a layup line for the opposing team. Oubre, Marcus Morris, and Nic Batum are notorious for this.

There's a clip about us not boxing out after a shot. Something we all know we suck at...Rebounding. The entire team should be called out for that.

We do a lot of "ball watching" on defense and that's never a good thing because you lose site of your man. Players have to know where their assignment is and where the ball is. So other words, "head on a swivel." It's damn hard to do it in an organized game of 5V5, but these guys are getting paid millions and Nick Nurse is getting paid to teach that.

He pointed out how bad our zone is. Personally I don't think our zone is always as bad as he makes it sound, but it is bad at times. The problem with zone is our guys are guarding "air" at times because they don't know whether or not they need to move up to guard and when to do it. Again, they aren't reacting on the ball screens the way they should so they're getting beat and they have no help because guys don't know where to go. Embiid and Paul Reed are guilty of this all the time. They stand there in the paint and guard nothing and don't rotate until it's too late.

The other thing that we're doing that needs to stop is the pointless gambles after we make a basket. Again it's Kelly Oubre, Pat Bev, and Paul Reed that are constantly doing this. We score (which is great), but then we gamble on the inbounds pass or we gamble while the ball is being brought up the floor and it creates wide open lanes for drivers to either get to the rim or find an open shooter.

The science of defense in basketball, the fundamentals is actually pretty cool, but it's a tough study for a lot of guys. I played organized ball growing up as a kid and zone especially was hard for me to pick up. Some guys get it quicker and some guys don't. But...They teach zone defense to youth league players. Playing zone should not be anything new to our guys. With that being said, the zone is sometimes less effective in the NBA than it is vrs college where coaches like Jim Boeheim made final fours using it.

I think we need to play more man defense, but the issue with that is we're getting beat on rotations and we're not communicating. Once again he calls out Oubre for this. Maxey also gets a ton of blame as well. I know he's the prince of Philly right now, but he's not a very good defensive player and his gambles for steals have cost us big time. There was a clip in the Utah game where he's late getting out to guard Kelly Olynyk of all people and Olynyk beats him off the dribble for a layup. Pathetic defense on the part of Maxey.

If we can't get the concept of "team" defense figured out by the time the playoffs come around, we're looking at another 2nd round exit and another year of Embiids prime. The guy is very much correct in his videos, he's just a spaz. If you can get past his animated delivery, it's actually very interesting. One thing I wish he did was slow it down a bit and explain it more.

Agreed. Hence why ideally, Maxey needs to be paired with a bigger youngish defensive minded wing in the backcourt to hide some of his deficiencies on that end of the court. OG would have been ideal in that regard but clearly we didn't have a realistic chance at him due to his connection with Leon Rose and our lack of young talent aside from Maxey. Names like Tyus Jones and Lowry aren't going to cut it as they are both too small to pair with Maxey. Murray isn't exactly known as a shutdown defender either. LaVine is a bad defender. Maybe Caruso, but we're probably going to have to overpay significantly to land him.

At the forward positions, we're simply too old and slow to effectively keep up with the younger, more athletic forwards of the league i.e. Siakam, Toppin, etc.

In addressing both needs, I honestly don't see anyone available who we wouldn't have to overpay for. Thus, I don't see us making a major move before the deadline which obviously sucks given that we'll be wasting another season of Embiid's prime but still better than selling the farm for high-end role players out of desperation.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers