Official 2024 Buyouts Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Re: Official 2024 Buyouts Thread 

Post#61 » by Ben » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:13 am

76ciology wrote:I believe that adding a big who can start should be the priority. Melton and Batum are both returning soon, while Roco is expected to return at some point. When you map out our depth chart, we're okay from positions 1 to 4 from now until the playoffs, but the starting center or backup center position is questionable.

One possible big is Tony Bradley. 20TRB%. 14-10-1.8bpg per 36. Plus player on both ends.

I can't believe that Tony Bradley hasn't been signed this year. And I don't understand why the Suns would sign Thad when Bradley's available, unless insiders know that Bradley's somehow diminished. Bradley's one of those players who, statistically, has per-minute totals better than most starters. Yeah, he's a traditional center, and the NBA largely has moved away from traditional centers, but we've all seen them still be important at times and statistically Bradley is like a Drummond Lite and could be had without Drummond costs. If we're trying to eat up regular-season minutes, wouldn't 10-12 minutes per game of [Payne or Lowry], [Maxey or Melton or Hield or Council], [Oubre or Batum], [Tobi or KJ], and Bradley lineup be preferable to relying on Reed and Bamba at the 5?

Bradley even seemed to work a bit on his 3-ball in the past few years. This seems like an obvious match.

[As an aside, I would also be OK -- going in a very different direction-- with Gallinari at the 4/5. But it seems as if other, possibly more desirably destination teams, are interested in him.]
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,803

Post#62 » by 76ciology » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:51 am

Ben wrote:
76ciology wrote:I believe that adding a big who can start should be the priority. Melton and Batum are both returning soon, while Roco is expected to return at some point. When you map out our depth chart, we're okay from positions 1 to 4 from now until the playoffs, but the starting center or backup center position is questionable.

One possible big is Tony Bradley. 20TRB%. 14-10-1.8bpg per 36. Plus player on both ends.

I can't believe that Tony Bradley hasn't been signed this year. And I don't understand why the Suns would sign Thad when Bradley's available, unless insiders know that Bradley's somehow diminished. Bradley's one of those players who, statistically, has per-minute totals better than most starters. Yeah, he's a traditional center, and the NBA largely has moved away from traditional centers, but we've all seen them still be important at times and statistically Bradley is like a Drummond Lite and could be had without Drummond costs. If we're trying to eat up regular-season minutes, wouldn't 10-12 minutes per game of [Payne or Lowry], [Maxey or Melton or Hield or Council], [Oubre or Batum], [Tobi or KJ], and Bradley lineup be preferable to relying on Reed and Bamba at the 5?

Bradley even seemed to work a bit on his 3-ball in the past few years. This seems like an obvious match.

[As an aside, I would also be OK -- going in a very different direction-- with Gallinari at the 4/5. But it seems as if other, possibly more desirably destination teams, are interested in him.]

I think we need someone like Tony Bradley rather than Galo, primarily due to Bradley's rebounding, finishing around the rim, and rim protection skills, which are more suited to our perimeter-oriented and defensively challenged roster. I'm puzzled why Bradley is a free agent; there haven't been any major injuries or off-court issues. Additionally, he has performed well in the G-League despite only playing for 20 minutes. Regarding the team, I believe Bamba has mostly played well recently, aside from a few questionable moments. His on vs. off numbers have been impressive.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 846

Post#63 » by zaz102 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:15 pm

I haven't kept up with Bradley, but if his output is anything like it was when he was here, I would sign him in a heartbeat. Kinda suspicious considering he hasn't played in a year.

I'd prefer a forward as I don't trust Cov or Batums health, but there doesn't seem to be anyone decent on the market. I'd probably rather go with a three guard lineup if we don't have everyone healthy than pick up any the slop left.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#64 » by LloydFree » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:03 am

zaz102 wrote:I haven't kept up with Bradley, but if his output is anything like it was when he was here, I would sign him in a heartbeat. Kinda suspicious considering he hasn't played in a year.

I'd prefer a forward as I don't trust Cov or Batums health, but there doesn't seem to be anyone decent on the market. I'd probably rather go with a three guard lineup if we don't have everyone healthy than pick up any the slop left.

The way the team is constructed, they likely Start a 3 Guard lineup when Embiid comes back, regardless of who they pick up.

In order to maximize Lowry they have to play him in the Embiid minutes, and they aren't going to bench Hield for the sake of keeping Tobias and Batum out there. One of those guys are going to the bench.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,622

Post#65 » by Iverson Armband » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:18 am

LloydFree wrote:
zaz102 wrote:I haven't kept up with Bradley, but if his output is anything like it was when he was here, I would sign him in a heartbeat. Kinda suspicious considering he hasn't played in a year.

The way the team is constructed, they likely Start a 3 Guard lineup when Embiid comes back, regardless of who they pick up.

In order to maximize Lowry they have to play him in the Embiid minutes, and they aren't going to bench Hield for the sake of keeping Tobias and Batum out there. One of those guys are going to the bench.

Melton is going to the bench.
always a jump shot away.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#66 » by LloydFree » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:29 am

Iverson Armband wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

That goes without saying. I'm saying Lowry, Maxey and Hield will start as the 3 -Guard lineup, along side Embiid and either Harris OR Batum.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,623

Post#67 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:10 am

I have completely forgotten about Melton and Batum at this point. Hopefully they come back at some point during the season. Ridiculous injuries this year.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,622

Post#68 » by Iverson Armband » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:51 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:
LloydFree wrote:The way the team is constructed, they likely Start a 3 Guard lineup when Embiid comes back, regardless of who they pick up.

That goes without saying. I'm saying Lowry, Maxey and Hield will start as the 3 -Guard lineup, along side Embiid and either Harris OR Batum.

Oh… in that case, I’d start Melton over Lowry. I don’t think Lowry can play more than 15mpg at this point let alone starters minutes. I think you need Batum’s quick trigger from 3 and passing out there as well with Embiid and you know there is no way Tobias isn’t starting.

Maxey
Hield
Harris
Batum
Embiid
always a jump shot away.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,818

Post#69 » by the_process » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:20 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:Melton is going to the bench.

Oh… in that case, I’d start Melton over Lowry. I don’t think Lowry can play more than 15mpg at this point let alone starters minutes. I think you need Batum’s quick trigger from 3 and passing out there as well with Embiid and you know there is no way Tobias isn’t starting.

Maxey
Hield
Harris
Batum
Embiid

This is how I see the starters as well, assuming everyone's health.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,584

Post#70 » by youngcrev » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:06 pm

the_process wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:
LloydFree wrote:That goes without saying. I'm saying Lowry, Maxey and Hield will start as the 3 -Guard lineup, along side Embiid and either Harris OR Batum.

Maxey
Hield
Harris
Batum
Embiid

Yeah. I was thinking the lineup would just stay the same as it was (Maxey-Melton-Batum-Harris-Embiid), but I'm starting to think Buddy hangs onto that spot, even if it's in part due to Melton managing that back injury.

I could see a world where they go Maxey-Melton-Hield-Harris-Embiid. Lowry getting a starting nod with a healthy roster is pretty hard to fathom.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,076

Post#71 » by ivysixer2000 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:18 pm

youngcrev wrote:
the_process wrote:
Iverson Armband wrote:Oh… in that case, I’d start Melton over Lowry. I don’t think Lowry can play more than 15mpg at this point let alone starters minutes. I think you need Batum’s quick trigger from 3 and passing out there as well with Embiid and you know there is no way Tobias isn’t starting.

Maxey
Hield
Harris
Batum
Embiid

Yeah. I was thinking the lineup would just stay the same as it was (Maxey-Melton-Batum-Harris-Embiid), but I'm starting to think Buddy hangs onto that spot, even if it's in part due to Melton managing that back injury.

I could see a world where they go Maxey-Melton-Hield-Harris-Embiid. Lowry getting a starting nod with a healthy roster is pretty hard to fathom.

Lowry starting would be another midget show out there, I'm definitely not in favor of that. I do hope Lowry didn't sign here thinking he would start, I just don't see how that lineup would work once we are healthy.

What we need from Lowry is to decrease the minutes for Maxey, who is playing way too many minutes as we know.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#72 » by youngcrev » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:18 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
the_process wrote:

Lowry starting would be another midget show out there, I'm definitely not in favor of that. I do hope Lowry didn't sign here thinking he would start, I just don't see how that lineup would work once we are healthy.

What we need from Lowry is to decrease the minutes for Maxey, who is playing way too many minutes as we know.

Yeah. I definitely think he'll see minutes with Maxey, particularly while we're dealing with injuries, but he's a backup at this stage in his career. He's here to take Pat Bev's role, provide leadership and play off Embiid in the 2nd unit.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,328

Post#73 » by Arsenal » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:32 am

That washed up stiff Gallo signs in MIL. Options dwindling…
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#74 » by Ben » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:58 am

Arsenal wrote:That washed up stiff Gallo signs in MIL. Options dwindling…

I agree with 76iology that Tony Bradley should be a higher priority given the Sixers' regular-season needs, so as long as they get him or someone similar I'll be cool with it. If we don't pick up a decent/ legit big man I'll be completely puzzled.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#75 » by youngcrev » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:06 am

Arsenal wrote:That washed up stiff Gallo signs in MIL. Options dwindling…

Doc promised him 40 mpg

I imagine our roster is set in terms of actual rotation pieces.

They have to make some type of signing soon though, right? Like, by rule in terms of roster minimums. Even if it's just a 10 day contract to get them closer to that buyout deadline. That feels like the route Morey would go while waiting out the buyout window to see what shakes loose.
Embiid-MVP
Junior
And1: 221

Post#76 » by Embiid-MVP » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:52 pm

Are we definitely grabbing another buyout player?

I know we got a ton of guards but is Curry an Option?
:banghead:
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#77 » by youngcrev » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:20 pm

Embiid-MVP wrote:Are we definitely grabbing another buyout player?

No, but I imagine they'll want to keep their options open until they see how that market plays out given their proximity to the luxury tax and the upcoming buyout deadline.

I'd take Curry back, but I imagine he'll have better options in terms of role.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#78 » by Skates » Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:56 am

If no other bigs become available or remain available I would not be surprised to see Ricky Council the IV to get one of the roster spots and Darius Bazely who is 6'9" and averaging 2.5 blks per game in Delaware, plus has NBA experience, to get the last spot and as an athletic, reedy, long armed big similar to some of those Raptors Nurse coached in Toronto, able to play the 4, guard taller wings and fill in at the five in the regular season. He was a guy the Blue Coats traded for earlier this season and while he isn't much of a shooter, his other attributes fit a Nurse system.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#79 » by Skates » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:15 pm

And there it is, for a time at least. Bazley joining the big team roster on a ten-day contract with the Sixers:

https://www.libertyballers.com/2024/2/19/24077380/sixers-sign-darius-bazley-10-day-contract-g-league-delaware-blue-coats
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#80 » by sixers hoops » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:40 pm

Embiid-MVP wrote:Are we definitely grabbing another buyout player?

The trade deadline used to be a week or two later, so there was a more condensed period of buyouts and signings. I believe a player has to be bought out by the last day of February to be eligible to sign with another team for the postseason. I haven’t been following the list of buyout candidates, but I read Bertans, Seth Curry, Fournier, Patty Mills, etc. could still be bought out.

As mentioned earlier, Curry may be a little redundant with Hield, but he and Bertans are both elite shooters to add to the roster.

Nerlens, Joe Harris, and I think Robin Lopez are available. Chimezie Metu might be a body to add to the big rotation. It’s hard to imagine Danny Green could crack the rotation.

Just looking at adding one-dimensional snipers, there are certainly some options. As far as athletic defenders and shot creators, not very much.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers