ImageImageImage

G53: Sixers @ Cavs 2/12 7pm ET

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Re: G53: Sixers @ Cavs 2/12 7pm ET 

Post#121 » by UptownPhilly » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:59 am

Solid win. Great block by Reed on the last play.

I’m curious to see how well Lowry fits in, and how well we utilize him. It sucks and is weird that half the roster is still injured. We’re probably much better than our deadline deals indicated.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,113

Post#122 » by mjkvol » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:17 am

Just finished watching it, what a great f***king win. I said it the other night, this team is a blast to watch, the most fun Sixers group in a long time. It's so refreshing to see young guys like Council getting serious run and taking advantage of it, and how about those clutch FT's. Hield is a bonafide stud, and will be even more of a weapon when Embiid returns. Oubre might be a bit of a flake and an enigma from night to night, but he oozes with confidence and when he's on is a game changer. And what a block by B-Ball on that last drive. Tremendous team win, and where are all the usual suspect doom and gloomers tonight?

Oh, and is it just me or are the Sixers a lot more fun to watch and look way faster when Tobias is out?

And Kate is more brutal than ever. "Buddy Love"?
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,850

Post#123 » by Ben » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:24 am

I loved tonight's game. But it does reaffirm to me that Maxey still has a ways to grow. And that's probably a good thing, something to look forward to from my favorite Sixer.

It's not just that he's being asked to do too much, to put a team of miscreants on his shoulders against much more talented lineups. Everyone else was hitting shots tonight. The non-Maxey Sixers hit 39-67 shots tonight, or 56.5%. 42.9% from three not including Maxey. And we still just barely won.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy about the win. But Council and Payne each got to the line more than Maxey did, and with a lot fewer looks. He needs to start drawing contact, drawing defenders into the little touches that called shooting fouls when a star's the one shooting it. He needs to embrace that killer sense that guys like Butler had at an early age, where he can smell blood in the water and just take over the game. I have no reason to think that that's beyond his talents. We're just not there yet.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,792

Post#124 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:25 am

UptownPhilly wrote:Solid win. Great block by Reed on the last play.

I’m curious to see how well Lowry fits in, and how well we utilize him. It sucks and is weird that half the roster is still injured. We’re probably much better than our deadline deals indicated.

I think we plan to gravitate the defense outside the perimeter with our 1-2 so it would free up the lane for guys like Council, Reed, Oubre and Martin for drives to the paint.

So I can see Lowry, Payne, Maxey and Hield at 1-2, sometimes double PG. Doing those weave actions then passing to those wings to cut to the basket

Similar set-up with the Warriors, Steph-Klay-CP-Podz.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#125 » by Arsenal » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:30 am

Ben wrote:I loved tonight's game. But it does reaffirm to me that Maxey still has a ways to grow. And that's probably a good thing, something to look forward to from my favorite Sixer.

It's not just that he's being asked to do too much, to put a team of miscreants on his shoulders against much more talented lineups. Everyone else was hitting shots tonight. The non-Maxey Sixers hit 39-67 shots tonight, or 56.5%. 42.9% from three not including Maxey. And we still just barely won.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy about the win. But Council and Payne each got to the line more than Maxey did, and with a lot fewer looks. He needs to start drawing contact, drawing defenders into the little touches that called shooting fouls when a star's the one shooting it. He needs to embrace that killer sense that guys like Butler had at an early age, where he can smell blood in the water and just take over the game. I have no reason to think that that's beyond his talents. We're just not there yet.

He’ll get there. Meanwhile even if he struggles shooting he still attracts a ton of defensive attention. Now with Hield we can make teams pay for that. Once we’re at full strength even better.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,613

Post#126 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:31 am

Well it's safe to say where KJ is best suited and that is at the 4 spot. He gave us great energy... Watching the replay.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#127 » by Eyeamok » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:52 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Well it's safe to say where KJ is best suited and that is at the 4 spot. He gave us great energy... Watching the replay.

He played his best game all season. Good for KJ.

Since Maxey has come back from being sick he is not the same. I know teams are coming at him even harder and he probably feels like he has to do everything, but I hope he realizes he does not have to and just let's more of the game come to him as opposed to forcing things to happen. Still a good win. Enjoyable basketball.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,075

Post#128 » by Sixerscan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:00 am

Nice win for this group, just get to the break and hopefully everyone but Embiid is back
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#129 » by the_process » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:21 am

That was an unexpected win. Still hate Maxey playing 40MPG. It's not 1973, Nurse. Dumbass.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#130 » by the_process » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 am

Keep playing Council btw. He's got a real shot to develop into a long term rotation guy.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#131 » by stormi » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:25 am

Ben wrote:I loved tonight's game. But it does reaffirm to me that Maxey still has a ways to grow. And that's probably a good thing, something to look forward to from my favorite Sixer.

He's a scoring two guard imo. Just doesn't look natural in the half court. He wants to hand it off and then use his momentum to run off screens which either creates space for him to shoot or allows him to use his burst to get downhill towards the rim.

Very rarely do you see Maxey square up a set defense and get to his spots methodically the way a more natural floor general would.

Even someone like Payne looks more comfortable in that role. It's what makes me think Maxey is more of a high end champ #3 as opposed to a true #2 like Murray or Irving were.

On the flip side though, Buddy Hield has altered my brain chemistry (positive). Did not expect to see him creating his own threes in isolation off the bounce. Got me off of my seat a few times. It was whoever offense for him in the 4th quarter and he took turns frying Levert and Strus on rotation down the stretch. His connective passing and finishing at the rim has been extremely impressive. He looks like the final form of that Redick/Seth archetype that's been money alongside Joel Embiid thus far.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,070

Post#132 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:41 am

Hate to mention it, ok not really, the dogs are coming

Jojo wanted it, he got it
Kova
Veteran
And1: 728

Post#133 » by Kova » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:42 am

As I said, we'll be fine. This group just needs to find their rhythm and ways to win games while Embiid is out. I'd rather have a healthy roster come playoffs than now. We have a serious team when all healthy.

Maxey/Payne/Lowry
Hield/Melton/Smith
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Cov/KJ
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

This is a serious rotation that shrinks to 8-9 players in the playoffs, and you have legit 10 players who can give you serious minutes.
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#134 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:57 am

Kova wrote:As I said, we'll be fine. This group just needs to find their rhythm and ways to win games while Embiid is out. I'd rather have a healthy roster come playoffs than now. We have a serious team when all healthy.

Maxey/Payne/Lowry
Hield/Melton/Smith
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Cov/KJ
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

This is a serious rotation that shrinks to 8-9 players in the playoffs, and you have legit 10 players who can give you serious minutes.

I love competition, no lineup is set, and I hope NN is flexible
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Post#135 » by M2J » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:08 am

Love Kelly. Hield with additional motion shooting next to Maxey and willing quick trigger shooting like Oubre and Batum.... This could get scary if Joel recovers well enough to be dominant.

Hope Morey brings everybody back... At the right price
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#136 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:12 am

Upon thought that I'll be hated for even mentioned it, if Joel cant play then they are preparing for that
ivysixer2000
General Manager

Post#137 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:24 am

We are getting a good look at BBall and Mo, keep an eye on Roco's availability
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,792

Post#138 » by 76ciology » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:35 am

stormi wrote:

He's a scoring two guard imo. Just doesn't look natural in the half court. He wants to hand it off and then use his momentum to run off screens which either creates space for him to shoot or allows him to use his burst to get downhill towards the rim.

Very rarely do you see Maxey square up a set defense and get to his spots methodically the way a more natural floor general would.

Even someone like Payne looks more comfortable in that role. It's what makes me think Maxey is more of a high end champ #3 as opposed to a true #2 like Murray or Irving were.

On the flip side though, Buddy Hield has altered my brain chemistry (positive). Did not expect to see him creating his own threes in isolation off the bounce. Got me off of my seat a few times. It was whoever offense for him in the 4th quarter and he took turns frying Levert and Strus on rotation down the stretch. His connective passing and finishing at the rim has been extremely impressive. He looks like the final form of that Redick/Seth archetype that's been money alongside Joel Embiid thus far.

Do you think Hield can eventually be our #2?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#139 » by stormi » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:30 am

76ciology wrote:
stormi wrote:

Do you think Hield can eventually be our #2?

I was going to say no on reflex, but the more I ponder it, the more I ask myself if he couldn't replicate a lot of similar actions that Klay Thompson runs. Hield is also one of the most prolific shooters in NBA history and I think he has super intriguing upside playing off of Joel Embiid's gravity (ala Klay and Steph symbiosis).

His wiggle and isolation game is ahead of where I had initially pegged and looking a bit deeper, Klay is someone who's had 69.4% of his field goals assisted in his career (68.5% in the playoffs)

Hield is at 47.2% for his career, so he can more reliably be asked to go and get one for himself.

But that's only a part of it. What makes Klay or Murray or Irving so special is that irrational confidence and self belief to make a big shot with their back against the wall. There's so much intangible that goes into it and those are the questions that I'm still waiting to get answers from our big fella.

Rambling aside though I'd probably still say no. I think with a more defensively astute lineup he can be a 4th or 5th starter on a team that wins it all.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,113

Post#140 » by mjkvol » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:26 am

stormi wrote:
Ben wrote:On the flip side though, Buddy Hield has altered my brain chemistry (positive). Did not expect to see him creating his own threes in isolation off the bounce. Got me off of my seat a few times. It was whoever offense for him in the 4th quarter and he took turns frying Levert and Strus on rotation down the stretch. His connective passing and finishing at the rim has been extremely impressive. He looks like the final form of that Redick/Seth archetype that's been money alongside Joel Embiid thus far.

This. The descriptions of Hield as a one-trick pony gunner couldn't be further off the mark. Totally agree on his ability to get his own shot, which from only occasionally seeing him I did not expect but is a game changer from a team building aspect, and he has been lethal in transition as well, pulling up for 3's or getting to the rim. He isn't the complete liability on defense I expected, either. He's a keeper.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers