ImageImageImage

Game 58: 76ers @ Boston

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,115

Re: Game 58: 76ers @ Boston 

Post#101 » by TheBallsDeeper » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:10 am

Take out Embiid Philly just has a terrible Roster - it's right down there with the Wizards. I can't think of many teams in a worse position.

They were lucky early this year to have one of the all-time great players cover up their faults.

Philly missed a chance to blow it up at the deadline. Maxey's value was as high as it will ever be and Sixers could have found a sucker to throw a heap of players and picks at them. But they missed out.

Embiid will never be able to carry the team to a championship - his body isn't made for it. With his knee injury he will not be able to get fit and the decline will be fast.

So many on here think Maxey - a tiny one-dimensional shooting guard - is going to lead the team to a ring. With him being targeted on defense and lack of playmaking, without Embiid he is pretty much a negative on the court over a season/playoff run.

Outside of that - what are the positives of this roster or future??
Overpay a B-grade free agent next year? What assets do they have to build with?
They will probably have a lottery pick this year with the way they are sliding out of the playoffs, but after going through the process I imagine the ownership just wants to stay a treadmill team to keep revenue up - that's what private equity groups care about.

I'll get roasted for this - because it seems there is such a lack of awareness by Philly fans - but Philly is further away from a ring than they have been in 20 years.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#102 » by Skates » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:11 am

Ricky Council is a legit player, if he can develop any kind of catch and shoot, he will be incredibly valuable and a wealthy man who has that dog in him.

Tobias Harris is none of those things except wealthy already. smh
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,964

Post#103 » by Mik317 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:20 am

ah yes the process...the same process that was killed because media members and certain fans couldn't handle being bad and cried to rush it with win now moves no matter what

the FO lack of patience has been the downfall. ...and when they finally learned it...they waited too long lol. Should have ran it back w/ Jimmy...did not. Probably held on to Ben too long (which I can't blame them as I would have too but my bitch ass is not getting paid the big bucks to know better lol). Held on to Doc for too long. Tobias has played out his contract. And most of that is due to the ownership being scared of any real backlash for making tough decisions...and yet they seem to immediately listen to the most impatient sources lol. Of course a lot of this is a bit of revisionist history but again I don't get paid to make said decisions..they do and should be better at it. Feels like the Celtics have made the right decision every time and the ones that didn't work out they turn into a win anyway. Like they had Kyrie flake out on them, their coach **** owners wives, wasted some late lottery picks, traded their heart and soul...and yet are still in the drivers seat lol.

I don't think Morey's big plan is worth **** but I will give him this...its at least a plan I guess..i just think he will end up with his dick in his hand and have **** all to show for it and we are still hoping that Biid's glass body can do it all and carry a new set of mid...and we will be still blaming him and the coach when he can't lol. BUT that at least a plan....
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Mik317
RealGM

Post#104 » by Mik317 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:21 am

man team sucks without their best player...

we should trade our best player and the second best player.
\
That will surely make us better

lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
phifans
Veteran
And1: 587

Post#105 » by phifans » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:37 am

Well you can't just place all the blames on players ...

If your players are just bad then it's on Morey if they are underperformed it's on Nurse.

Just picked one ...
Mik317
RealGM

Post#106 » by Mik317 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:05 am

team lacks talent. This is in part to past decisions made or not made. Burnt through our assets and thus we are where we are. Fixing it requires time. Time we may not have anymore lol.

There is no easy obvious fix that gets us to being a lock for the finals. Blow it doe right? eh. there is a chance you never even sniff a Biid level talent again hell even Maxey level talent...AND we still owe some future picks so we can't even go full rebuild anyway....regardless they have Nurse and Morey under contract for a bit and neither will go that route anyway IMO....so it is pointless to even ask for IMO.

Thats the main point here...there is no immediate fix and again while I think its dumb; Morey's plan is a clean slate and building a full roster with money i guess...I am willing to wait and see what that entails. Unlike some I don't acv like I have all the answers tho... my impatient ass would have traded Biid for Scoot Henderson this offseason...and my ass would be the new Billy King around these parts right now lol.

I am a guy who had a meltdown during game 6..so I get it. But the fact is that this team is going to struggle while the big potato is on the mend...especially against good teams. Thats our reality. So why get so upset when they infact struggle against good teams lol. Its a house money situation right now....lowkey I hope Biid is out all year so we don't get our hopes up for a miracle run lol.. The worst thing would be a fluke run to a game 7 in the second round and then we overpay Tobias and Buddy or some **** lol. Find out who can hang, have Maxey take his lumps overtaxed as the guy, and go into the offseason with an idea of what works and what doesn't...and maybe threaten Silver's dog for a high lottery pick lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#107 » by TheBallsDeeper » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:04 am

Mik317 wrote:man team sucks without their best player...

we should trade our best player and the second best player.
\
That will surely make us better

lol

No team in the league comes close to the difference one play makes.

Sixers without their best player are a dumpster fire - in the running for a bottom-three record if teams were not tanking.

Is there any other team that taking out one player would change them from having a good chance of playing in the conference final to a bottom three side??

People underestimate Embiid - He may be the most talented player in NBA history, he is that good.
The best player on both ends of the floor by a long way this year when healthy. How many players in the history of the NBA can you say that about?

Take that out, and the team is a disaster. Everyone getting excited about a midget shooting guard who gets destroyed every game on defense - It's Isaiah Thomas without the playmaking.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter

Post#108 » by TheBallsDeeper » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:08 am

Mik317 wrote:ah yes the process...the same process that was killed because media members and certain fans couldn't handle being bad and cried to rush it with win now moves no matter what

the FO lack of patience has been the downfall. ...and when they finally learned it...they waited too long lol. Should have ran it back w/ Jimmy...did not. Probably held on to Ben too long (which I can't blame them as I would have too but my bitch ass is not getting paid the big bucks to know better lol). Held on to Doc for too long. Tobias has played out his contract. And most of that is due to the ownership being scared of any real backlash for making tough decisions...and yet they seem to immediately listen to the most impatient sources lol. Of course a lot of this is a bit of revisionist history but again I don't get paid to make said decisions..they do and should be better at it. Feels like the Celtics have made the right decision every time and the ones that didn't work out they turn into a win anyway. Like they had Kyrie flake out on them, their coach **** owners wives, wasted some late lottery picks, traded their heart and soul...and yet are still in the drivers seat lol.

I don't think Morey's big plan is worth **** but I will give him this...its at least a plan I guess..i just think he will end up with his dick in his hand and have **** all to show for it and we are still hoping that Biid's glass body can do it all and carry a new set of mid...and we will be still blaming him and the coach when he can't lol. BUT that at least a plan....

The League getting rid of Hinke was the first part of the end of the process.

The second part was when Brett Brown said he wasn't strong enough to coach Jimmy Butler, so he wanted him gone.

Brett Brown coast Philly a championship. His coaching in that series against Toronto was disgraceful. TJ McConnell was killing it but he subbed him out to put his favorite mental midget Ben Simmons in and it cost them a vital game. Then he chose Simmons over Butler because Simmons didn't challenge him to be better.

Time to blow it up again unfortunately.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#109 » by stormi » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:56 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:Take out Embiid Philly just has a terrible Roster - it's right down there with the Wizards. I can't think of many teams in a worse position.

They were lucky early this year to have one of the all-time great players cover up their faults.

Philly missed a chance to blow it up at the deadline. Maxey's value was as high as it will ever be and Sixers could have found a sucker to throw a heap of players and picks at them. But they missed out.

Embiid will never be able to carry the team to a championship - his body isn't made for it. With his knee injury he will not be able to get fit and the decline will be fast.

So many on here think Maxey - a tiny one-dimensional shooting guard - is going to lead the team to a ring. With him being targeted on defense and lack of playmaking, without Embiid he is pretty much a negative on the court over a season/playoff run.

Outside of that - what are the positives of this roster or future??
Overpay a B-grade free agent next year? What assets do they have to build with?
They will probably have a lottery pick this year with the way they are sliding out of the playoffs, but after going through the process I imagine the ownership just wants to stay a treadmill team to keep revenue up - that's what private equity groups care about.

I'll get roasted for this - because it seems there is such a lack of awareness by Philly fans - but Philly is further away from a ring than they have been in 20 years.

I love the radical aggression of this post. I'm probably about one standard deviation away from you. This roster sucks and we're totally behind Boston in terms of squad building, in terms of athleticism, in terms style of play, in terms of culture, in terms of continuity.

For me it's Embiid who on any given day is the best player in the NBA, and then the pack. I'm a bit lower on Maxey than consensus. He's a little guard with mediocre passing and defending. His shooting is his key trait but he's probably closer to Herro and the championship version of Jordan Poole than a Haliburton, Irving or an SGA. I think those guys are half court dominators.

I can't see us being able to pull a Nuggets and acquire two top 1 percentile roleplayers in an off the ball shooter in MPJ and an athletic / secondary rim protector / cutter / defender in Aaron Gordon so the only slim chance at winning a ring with Embiid is by acquiring someone better than Maxey and trying the 2019 formula over again, but it's probably already too late at this point.

You go all in and maybe due to the fact that you have Joel Embiid (who, thanks to our lucky stars is healthy for the first playoff run in his career) are able to scrape by Boston, but by next year what do OKC look like? In two years, with the overwhelming asset pool and young superstars on an exponential trajectory, you have no chance.

I've sort of disconnected from this iteration of the Sixers. I'll follow Joel Embiid into the sun. He's one of the three most naturally gifted basketball players I have ever seen in my life. It's a total shame not only due to the way we've built around him but managed his body physically.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 353

Post#110 » by Jhawk03 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:53 am

Look, we have the #1 pick... if cap space is comparable to a draft pick hypothetically speaking.

Tbh, if I was reading this board beginning from around the Harden trade until now, I'd be confused as **** by the reaction from people here. Mostly due to the fact that EVERYONE HERE at one point... as far as I'm aware... at least acknowledged the idea of this year being a step back in order to commit to 2024-2025 with the most cap space in the league. I admit, even I want this team to be competitive and go on a playoff run this spring. But at the end of the day, next year is what matters most, and bearing that fact in mind is keeping me from overreacting to what's happening and responding to what's being posted here.

Keep in mind, only Embiid and Maxey are 100% guaranteed to be on this roster after this season. And that says a lot considering Paul Reed and his ridiculous contract situation, but not even he is 100% guaranteed to be here next season.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,114

Post#111 » by mjkvol » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:14 pm

phifans wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:Nurse is starting to annoy me like Doc.

Doc is better than Nurse

And I never thought I would say that ...

Sorry, but the timing of a statement like that after an away loss to the best team in the league without your best player and a roster full of role players and Maxey, and with no one but Maxey being able to throw it in the ocean in what was a 2-pt. game in the 4th quarter is just a bit questionable.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by mjkvol » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:25 pm

Mik317 wrote:team lacks talent. This is in part to past decisions made or not made. Burnt through our assets and thus we are where we are. Fixing it requires time. Time we may not have anymore lol.

There is no easy obvious fix that gets us to being a lock for the finals. Blow it doe right? eh. there is a chance you never even sniff a Biid level talent again hell even Maxey level talent...AND we still owe some future picks so we can't even go full rebuild anyway....regardless they have Nurse and Morey under contract for a bit and neither will go that route anyway IMO....so it is pointless to even ask for IMO.

Thats the main point here...there is no immediate fix and again while I think its dumb; Morey's plan is a clean slate and building a full roster with money i guess...I am willing to wait and see what that entails. Unlike some I don't acv like I have all the answers tho... my impatient ass would have traded Biid for Scoot Henderson this offseason...and my ass would be the new Billy King around these parts right now lol.

I am a guy who had a meltdown during game 6..so I get it. But the fact is that this team is going to struggle while the big potato is on the mend...especially against good teams. Thats our reality. So why get so upset when they infact struggle against good teams lol. Its a house money situation right now....lowkey I hope Biid is out all year so we don't get our hopes up for a miracle run lol.. The worst thing would be a fluke run to a game 7 in the second round and then we overpay Tobias and Buddy or some **** lol. Find out who can hang, have Maxey take his lumps overtaxed as the guy, and go into the offseason with an idea of what works and what doesn't...and maybe threaten Silver's dog for a high lottery pick lol

To me, the mistake Morey (and probably ownership) made was not blowing up the season at the deadline and cleaning house while still maintaining the cap space plan. The idea that Embiid could come back from that kind of injury and lead a playoff run was pretty much absurd - he should have been shut down right after the deadline, and should absolutely be at this point.
seventy6ers
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#113 » by seventy6ers » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:06 pm

Saying Nurse is the problem is wrong! He is not a perfect coach, but is better than what we have had recently. The problem is some of these players falling short. Tobias is terrible. When Embiid went down, he should have been the one to step up more, but he simply just disappears. Hield not hitting open shots really hurt. Would signing Muscala help? I know there are all these talks about next year, but if Tobias returns it will just be the same crap all over again.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by mjkvol » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:13 pm

seventy6ers wrote:Saying Nurse is the problem is wrong! He is not a perfect coach, but is better than what we have had recently. The problem is some of these players falling short. Tobias is terrible. When Embiid went down, he should have been the one to step up more, but he simply just disappears. Hield not hitting open shots really hurt. Would signing Muscala help? I know there are all these talks about next year, but if Tobias returns it will just be the same crap all over again.

We learned long ago that counting on Tobias to step up and be the man when we were shorthanded wasn't going to happen. He's had an uncanny ability to disappear in the biggest spots since he's been here, and even a hint of bringing him back at any price might be the most absurd of any of the ideas posited on here.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,829

Post#115 » by phillynative » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:17 pm

Ownership stinks Management stinks Roster stinks

Embiid being injured every season stinks
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,035

Post#116 » by Negrodamus » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:11 pm

I can't believe Nurse couldn't beat easily the best team in the East with a bunch of aging role players and a 3rd star in Maxey. Dude needs to be fired.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,973

Post#117 » by Stanford » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:23 pm

No coach can overcome Tobias Harris
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,558

Post#118 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Mik317 wrote:ah yes the process...the same process that was killed because media members and certain fans couldn't handle being bad and cried to rush it with win now moves no matter what

Bro what? I thought Ime banged a trainer lol
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,558

Post#119 » by GoSixersBro » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:32 pm

mjkvol wrote:
seventy6ers wrote:Saying Nurse is the problem is wrong! He is not a perfect coach, but is better than what we have had recently. The problem is some of these players falling short. Tobias is terrible. When Embiid went down, he should have been the one to step up more, but he simply just disappears. Hield not hitting open shots really hurt. Would signing Muscala help? I know there are all these talks about next year, but if Tobias returns it will just be the same crap all over again.

We learned long ago that counting on Tobias to step up and be the man when we were shorthanded wasn't going to happen. He's had an uncanny ability to disappear in the biggest spots since he's been here, and even a hint of bringing him back at any price might be the most absurd of any of the ideas posited on here.

I call him Tim Harris, short for Timid.

Whatever that meme is of "he got that dawg in him", Tim Harris is the opposite of that.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,335

Post#120 » by Murray_17 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:04 pm

On Maxey

As for the "Maxey is closer to Herro than Haliburton, SGA or Irving". Here is Herro

I'm not gonna upload more images lol, but Maxey's impact is identical to Irving, closer to Hali than Herro and far away from SGA. But the only guys close to SGA are Jokic, Embiid, Luka and Giannis (The 5 bubbles on the upper right corner of the Graph)

Return to Philadelphia 76ers