#2 Knicks vs #7 Sixers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Re: #2 Knicks vs #7 Sixers 

Post#361 » by Murray_17 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:39 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:

How is this related to what i was saying about BPM? can we discuss the point instead of some random point about bad shot selection on a quarter.

Yes Embiid was inefficient but the efficiency of the team increases with him on the floor, which is why i talked about the supporting cast

Holy ****.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,033

Post#362 » by Negrodamus » Thu May 2, 2024 12:48 am

Shaq saying the same thing he always says because he doesn't actually have any real insight other than "big man be aggressive". Embiid obviously isn't near as explosive as he was during the season as shown in those clips where he's getting blocked. On top of that, the defense is constantly collapsing on him. At the time, I was even wondering why he's driving to the rim since he has no lift. That doesn't mean he's not playing well defensively or that he can't be effective on the offensive end.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 856

Post#363 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu May 2, 2024 12:54 am

Negrodamus wrote:Shaq saying the same thing he always says because he doesn't actually have any real insight other than "big man be aggressive". Embiid obviously isn't near as explosive as he was during the season as shown in those clips where he's getting blocked. On top of that, the defense is constantly collapsing on him. At the time, I was even wondering why he's driving to the rim since he has no lift. That doesn't mean he's not playing well defensively or that he can't be effective on the offensive end.

Shaq doesn’t have that point of view about teams where the big man isn’t the central player. He understands that if the big man is your centerpiece, he has to play a certain way to create a certain tone for the team.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#364 » by Negrodamus » Thu May 2, 2024 1:01 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Shaq saying the same thing he always says because he doesn't actually have any real insight other than "big man be aggressive". Embiid obviously isn't near as explosive as he was during the season as shown in those clips where he's getting blocked. On top of that, the defense is constantly collapsing on him. At the time, I was even wondering why he's driving to the rim since he has no lift. That doesn't mean he's not playing well defensively or that he can't be effective on the offensive end.

Shaq doesn’t have that point of view about teams where the big man isn’t the central player. He understands that if the big man is your centerpiece, he has to play a certain way to create a certain tone for the team.

Shaq doesn't have a point of view about the current game of basketball where you can't completely abuse people in the post and the refs just kinda shrugs.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,538

Post#365 » by Jailblazers7 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:01 am

One thing this series has made me realize is that older generations of players who complain about the league getting soft should direct their criticism at the fans. Knicks fans act like Embiid should be tried at The Hague for giving Brunson a forearm shiver & hitting him in the face when swiping at the ball.

He deserves criticism for the Mitch Robinson leg pull but all the other stuff is just playoff basketball. I’d encourage Knicks fans to rewatch the Pat Riley coached teams from the 90s that everyone loved before calling for Embiid’s head.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 856

Post#366 » by Ferry Avenue » Thu May 2, 2024 1:04 am

Negrodamus wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:

Shaq doesn't have a point of view about the current game of basketball where you can't completely abuse people in the post and the refs just kinda shrugs.

So now you’ve described why the Sixers are limited with a center as their centerpiece. The center has to play like a wing and that doesn’t work with enough regularity. So when the square peg in a round hole consisting of a center trying to play like a wing doesn’t work, as is regularly the case in the postseason, the team is absent a critical spearhead and finds it difficult to overcome teams that do have one.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#367 » by Murray_17 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:11 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:So now you’ve described why the Sixers are limited with a center as their centerpiece. The center has to play like a wing and that doesn’t work with enough regularity. So when the square peg in a round hole consisting of a center trying to play like a wing doesn’t work, as is regularly the case in the postseason, the team is absent a critical spearhead and finds it difficult to overcome teams that do have one.

And this is somehow a knock on Embiid's leadership too? you're saying that having a center as a main player is limitant but somehow is a leadership issue.

See this is what happens when you have to talk about the game.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#368 » by Negrodamus » Thu May 2, 2024 1:15 am

Ferry Avenue wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:Shaq doesn’t have that point of view about teams where the big man isn’t the central player. He understands that if the big man is your centerpiece, he has to play a certain way to create a certain tone for the team.

So now you’ve described why the Sixers are limited with a center as their centerpiece. The center has to play like a wing and that doesn’t work with enough regularity. So when the square peg in a round hole consisting of a center trying to play like a wing doesn’t work, as is regularly the case in the postseason, the team is absent a critical spearhead and finds it difficult to overcome teams that do have one.

Definitely. Especially since the reigning champions don't have the same issue. Ironically, when Embiid started passing and stopped trying to be super aggro, we started clicking.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,092

Post#369 » by mjkvol » Thu May 2, 2024 2:27 am

Jailblazers7 wrote:One thing this series has made me realize is that older generations of players who complain about the league getting soft should direct their criticism at the fans. Knicks fans act like Embiid should be tried at The Hague for giving Brunson a forearm shiver & hitting him in the face when swiping at the ball.

These flagrant calls have gotten so ridiculous - now, if a guy writhes around on the ground for a while, a play that otherwise would have simply been a foul becomes a flagrant. Players know they can grift for flagrant calls, and it is becoming commonplace. You would have thought that Embiid had cold-cocked Brunson the way he was acting, and the moment the refs were going to take a look at it, he popped right up. It's something the league should address , but we know they won't.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,604

Post#370 » by NYSixersFan » Thu May 2, 2024 2:51 am

I'm going to refrain from any anti Morey comments as long as the Sixers are in the playoffs.

Now...How the hell are we going to win these next two games?

1) Nurse needs to figure out a way to rest Embiid at least 4 minutes each half

2) I would consider sitting him with 4 minutes left in the 1st and 3rd quarters. This would give him extra rest because of the under 3 minute timeout plus the end of quarter timeout. then play him the entire 2nd and 4th.

3) I think Nurse needs to expand the rotation by at least 1 guy. I'd go with Council. We need a fresh body with energy.

4) I think our best lineup right now is probably Embiid, Maxey, Harris, Oubre and Batum. Definitely helps on the boards with a bigger lineup.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#371 » by SixthStreet » Thu May 2, 2024 4:02 am

Still don't think we will win the series but seeing Maxey's proof of concept is valuable in next years roster construction. And fun as heck to watch.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,785

Post#372 » by 76ciology » Thu May 2, 2024 6:09 am

I believe that the 7-man rotation for the Knicks will be a significant factor. It appears that the Knicks ran out of gas toward the end, resulting in turnovers and a lack of lift from Brunson.

I'm also concerned about how this might affect the Knicks' (and the refs) morale; the players may start doubting whether they can sustain this level of play in the upcoming playoff rounds.

As for countering this issue, the Knicks only have big men like Jericho Sims and Achiuwa available to activate, with Alec Burks currently injured.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#373 » by 76ciology » Thu May 2, 2024 6:11 am

NYSixersFan wrote:I'm going to refrain from any anti Morey comments as long as the Sixers are in the playoffs.

2) I would consider sitting him with 4 minutes left in the 1st and 3rd quarters. This would give him extra rest because of the under 3 minute timeout plus the end of quarter timeout. then play him the entire 2nd and 4th.

3) I think Nurse needs to expand the rotation by at least 1 guy. I'd go with Council. We need a fresh body with energy.

4) I think our best lineup right now is probably Embiid, Maxey, Harris, Oubre and Batum. Definitely helps on the boards with a bigger lineup.

Many of the problems stem from the non-Embiid minutes. If we can perform better than the Knicks during these minutes, we're more likely to keep Embiid fresh for closing halves and games.

We experimented with going small in Game 5. I'm unsure if Nurse will continue this strategy, especially considering we didn't find much success with it during the regular season.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#374 » by 76ciology » Thu May 2, 2024 8:48 am

I was considering the idea of playing Bamba instead of Reed. Someone also mentioned it here, pointing out Bamba's higher rebounds per 36 minutes and his ability to space the floor. However, I believe that position to be too risky in reality, especially since Reed leads the team in rebounds per 36 minutes.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,531

Post#375 » by elchengue20 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:17 am

Yeah I dont think Nurse all of the sudden is going to trust a very inconsistent player like Mamba in an elimination game.

Very very unlikely and its understandable.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#376 » by 76ciology » Thu May 2, 2024 10:34 am

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]
76ciology
RealGM

Post#377 » by 76ciology » Thu May 2, 2024 10:36 am

elchengue20 wrote:Yeah I dont think Nurse all of the sudden is going to trust a very inconsistent player like Mamba in an elimination game.

Very very unlikely and its understandable.

Yeah and Knicks likes to push the ball and attack cross matches on offense which i find Bamba to be very vulnerable
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#378 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu May 2, 2024 10:55 am

Bamba has stones for hands. There's no possible way he plays over Reed. The two players Nurse should try IF he has the guts to extend the bench are Council and KJ Martin. We...Need... Rebounding.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 583

Post#379 » by blargh » Thu May 2, 2024 11:00 am

76ciology wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:I'm going to refrain from any anti Morey comments as long as the Sixers are in the playoffs.

Many of the problems stem from the non-Embiid minutes. If we can perform better than the Knicks during these minutes, we're more likely to keep Embiid fresh for closing halves and games.

We experimented with going small in Game 5. I'm unsure if Nurse will continue this strategy, especially considering we didn't find much success with it during the regular season.

This may sound obvious, but we have to play more through Maxey when Embiid is out. Let him bring the ball up instead of Lowry or Payne (in those minutes)
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,604

Post#380 » by NYSixersFan » Thu May 2, 2024 12:40 pm

I thought about trying Bamba over Reed, but I think he's more likely to go with Batum at Center and go with a small lineup.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers