ImageImageImage

#2 Knicks vs #7 Sixers

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 639

Re: #2 Knicks vs #7 Sixers 

Post#81 » by brannigan73 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:50 am

Here is my succint summary of this series. Embiid dominates we win. He doesnt we lose. People are over-rating this Knicks team. The east was weak this year. Boston light years ahead of everyone. Nobody else close to as good as the Sixers and Bucks were last year except for the Sixers when there were totally healthy. I see this Knicks team as about on par with talentwise, without Randle, as the Raptors team we played two years ago. The Sixers have been very good defensively in the half court this year when Embiid is healthy. It would help if we could limit there transition scoring. Playoffs are usually slower paced that should help. Tentative sixers in 6. We will win tommorrow and all the home games. Superstars are what usually wins in the playoffs we have one and they do not (Bruson is not a superstar). Time for ours to play like one. Suprise difference makers Buddy and Kyle.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,915

Post#82 » by Wilfried » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:07 am

We are deeper, have more experienced vets (Lowry, Batum, ...), are more versatile, we can throw a lot at their #1 option, we have a good coach.

We just have to make sure they don't out-rebound us game after game

Even if Embiid is at 50%, we should win this 4-2, no excuses to me. I mean, we were without Embiid for half the season and ended up with 3 more losses than them
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,197

Post#83 » by M2J » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:33 am

76ciology wrote:I believe Brunson is better than Maxey because he led his team to a second seed, whereas Maxey seems to struggle as the primary option without Jojo. However, as Sixerscan mentioned, individual comparisons don't hold much weight; what truly matters is the team as a whole. We have someone like Maxey, who is in contention to be as good as or even better than Brunson, but Maxey serves as our second-best player while Brunson holds that position for the Knicks. It's not about a one-on-one matchup; if it ever comes down to that, it would likely be Brunson versus Embiid.

He is better right now, as a primary option for sure and go to scorer....specifically because he's a better pull up shooter. Significantly in fact. Brunson shooting 37% on pull up 3s, and 47% on mid range pull ups. Maxey 32% on pull-up 3s and 37% on 2s. They're similar on catch and shoot, and similar finishing at the rim.

Similar in assist numbers, Maxey gets 1 whole turnover less and less usage. They both move off the ball... Maxey does it a bit better IMO because he does it more and often does it without intention of getting the ball and has more range on his 3.... Making him a better or truly elite spacer for his teammates ala Steph.

So Brunson is better in that role as a go to guy..... Even if a team was better built around Maxey the way they have done with the Brunson after they traded Barrett for OG.... BUT Maxey's style and skill can make him an elite fit on any team... Even with other dominant ball handlers. Kyrie like.

However, the record thing being blamed on Maxey....I can't get behind. This team is rightfully built around Joel, and there's a G leaguer or 2 as Joel's backup....not Hartenstein
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,197

Post#84 » by M2J » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:38 am

brannigan73 wrote:Here is my succint summary of this series. Embiid dominates we win. He doesnt we lose. People are over-rating this Knicks team. The east was weak this year. Boston light years ahead of everyone. Nobody else close to as good as the Sixers and Bucks were last year except for the Sixers when there were totally healthy. I see this Knicks team as about on par with talentwise, without Randle, as the Raptors team we played two years ago. The Sixers have been very good defensively in the half court this year when Embiid is healthy. It would help if we could limit there transition scoring. Playoffs are usually slower paced that should help. Tentative sixers in 6. We will win tommorrow and all the home games. Superstars are what usually wins in the playoffs we have one and they do not (Bruson is not a superstar). Time for ours to play like one. Suprise difference makers Buddy and Kyle.

I agree with all of this, especially the Toronto comparison. That team, like this Knicks one didn't have enough offense to compete with Philly. When Joel was healthy in that series, it should've been a sweep. If he's compromised, maybe in 6. I don't think there's an excuse to lose this series if he's dominating or not dominating. Philly has a better roster, even with a 65% Joel.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 346

Post#85 » by Jhawk03 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:57 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:
bballcool34 wrote:What do you all make of folks who point to the season series to support the Knicks?

Lowe took Knicks in 7. I’m filling out a bracket and on paper I still can’t get over fact that 76ers have the best two players and the better coach. So I’m leaning towards 76ers but could use some education!

Embiid should be the best player in the series if you ignore his past playoffs failures, but Brunson is better than Maxey.
It heavily depends on which version of Embiid we get. He usually plays better in 1st round compared to 2nd round, less accumulated fatigue probably helps. With a 100% Embiid we should probably win with Nurse as a coach.

Bum Adebayo wrote:Embiid is not injured or out of shape, so I don't understand why people keep saying that. People see him struggling and think he must be hurt or something, but he is ok. He simply performs poorly against proper defensive schemes.
Knicks in 7

It's official, you're a bookie/tout selling both sides. There's literally no other explanation. But I respect the hustle
Doramas
Ballboy
And1: 29

Post#86 » by Doramas » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:22 am

I've been a Sixers fan since Moses Malone, Dr.J, Maurice Cheeks...lifted our last championship and since then I've wanted nothing more than to see our Sixers win the Ring again, but right now I have mixed feelings, as our best player has once again deeply disappointed me, and this time not on a sporting level, but on a personal level. Embiid has proven once again that he is a person who cannot be trusted, and he has done it with one of the most sacred things there can be, the nation. Embiid sent a letter to French President Macron, asking for French nationality because it was the only national jersey he wanted to defend, and as we all know, he has done it again. He betrayed him. This is his letter:

I am aware of your sincere interest in basketball and its development and, in general, in the sport that honours France. However, I am not writing to tell you about the NBA season that is opening and in which I have high hopes for my club, the Philadelphia 76ers. I am now in a leadership role and aspire to make my club a serious title contender.

I am writing to tell you about France. Although I spent much of my youth in both the United States and France, I am of Cameroonian nationality. I was born in 1994 in Yaoundé. Therefore, Cameroon will always remain an important part of my identity. However, another is French. In fact, part of my family is French and, in addition to sharing the language, I have been to France many times. Whenever I have the opportunity, I visit my aunts Suzanne and Lucie, who live in Courtry and Courcouronnes, as well as my first cousin Pierre, who lives in Évry. I have fond memories of my summer holidays in France, such as the summer of 2009, during which I was able to spend the whole month of July enjoying the capital. I also continue to go regularly to Paris, where I would like to take up a second permanent residence.

Moreover, after discussions with the French Basketball Federation, I have already made my decision. I would like to take the necessary steps to obtain French nationality to be selected for the 'Bleus'. Therefore, I do not wish to play for any other national team. I have submitted a dossier to the Ministry of the Interior and Foreign Affairs.

I have never worn the colours of any national team. It would be an immense honour for me to join this French team to take part in the next major international competitions, first and foremost the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

I measure the solemnity of my application, what it represents, what it means, but also, in certain respects, its duration and its complexity with respect to the usual criteria for the granting of nationality. I therefore ask for your support for these initiatives, without which they will not succeed.

Naturally, I am at your disposal and at your services to support this common ambition that we share with the French basketball team and its leaders.

I thank you for your attention to my request and ask you to believe, Mr. President, in the expression of my deepest consideration.

I love the Sixers above all else, and obviously I want to win a championship, but I don't know if I want to win it led by an amoral person like Joel.
:nod:
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,342

Post#87 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:41 am

Doramas wrote:I've been a Sixers fan since Moses Malone, Dr.J, Maurice Cheeks...lifted our last championship and since then I've wanted nothing more than to see our Sixers win the Ring again, but right now I have mixed feelings, as our best player has once again deeply disappointed me, and this time not on a sporting level, but on a personal level. Embiid has proven once again that he is a person who cannot be trusted, and he has done it with one of the most sacred things there can be, the nation. Embiid sent a letter to French President Macron, asking for French nationality because it was the only national jersey he wanted to defend, and as we all know, he has done it again. He betrayed him. This is his letter:

I am aware of your sincere interest in basketball and its development and, in general, in the sport that honours France. However, I am not writing to tell you about the NBA season that is opening and in which I have high hopes for my club, the Philadelphia 76ers. I am now in a leadership role and aspire to make my club a serious title contender.

I am writing to tell you about France. Although I spent much of my youth in both the United States and France, I am of Cameroonian nationality. I was born in 1994 in Yaoundé. Therefore, Cameroon will always remain an important part of my identity. However, another is French. In fact, part of my family is French and, in addition to sharing the language, I have been to France many times. Whenever I have the opportunity, I visit my aunts Suzanne and Lucie, who live in Courtry and Courcouronnes, as well as my first cousin Pierre, who lives in Évry. I have fond memories of my summer holidays in France, such as the summer of 2009, during which I was able to spend the whole month of July enjoying the capital. I also continue to go regularly to Paris, where I would like to take up a second permanent residence.

Moreover, after discussions with the French Basketball Federation, I have already made my decision. I would like to take the necessary steps to obtain French nationality to be selected for the 'Bleus'. Therefore, I do not wish to play for any other national team. I have submitted a dossier to the Ministry of the Interior and Foreign Affairs.

I have never worn the colours of any national team. It would be an immense honour for me to join this French team to take part in the next major international competitions, first and foremost the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

I measure the solemnity of my application, what it represents, what it means, but also, in certain respects, its duration and its complexity with respect to the usual criteria for the granting of nationality. I therefore ask for your support for these initiatives, without which they will not succeed.

Naturally, I am at your disposal and at your services to support this common ambition that we share with the French basketball team and its leaders.

I thank you for your attention to my request and ask you to believe, Mr. President, in the expression of my deepest consideration.

I love the Sixers above all else, and obviously I want to win a championship, but I don't know if I want to win it led by an amoral person like Joel.

Read on Twitter

My god, he's such an ass hole...

Also this deeply amoral person paid for the Sixers staff's salary when the owner was about to cut their salaries by 20%. Embiid in turn said he'll pay $500,000 so that their salaries would not change. Josh Harris realized how bad it looked and decided to not change their salaries.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/nba/76ers/2020/03/24/76-ers-change-course-cutting-employee-pay-joel-embiid-pledges-500-000-coronavirus-relief/2908785001/

Maybe you want to get the whole picture about his reasons to not join the French team rather than just assuming you know him on a personal level. Because your feelings towards him are just that, personal.

Through all the **** this team has put on him, Embiid has had every opportunity to ask for a trade, or demand player be traded so he gets help. He would have been 100% justified to do so. He's never done that, that is the complete opposite of the type of person you think he is.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,887

Post#88 » by Stanford » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:13 am

Joel is the most irrationally hated player in basketball history. When a nothing story like this comes out, idiots and losers use it to prove that they were right all along about him. Right about what? That he's not just a bad basketball player who's ruining the game, but a bad person as well. Every post these people have ever made about Joel is done from a perceived moral high ground. It completely motivates their attitude, yet the negative stories about him are basically non-existent.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,682

Post#89 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:11 pm

Doramas wrote:I've been a Sixers fan since Moses Malone, Dr.J, Maurice Cheeks...lifted our last championship and since then I've wanted nothing more than to see our Sixers win the Ring again, but right now I have mixed feelings, as our best player has once again deeply disappointed me, and this time not on a sporting level, but on a personal level. Embiid has proven once again that he is a person who cannot be trusted, and he has done it with one of the most sacred things there can be, the nation. Embiid sent a letter to French President Macron, asking for French nationality because it was the only national jersey he wanted to defend, and as we all know, he has done it again. He betrayed him. This is his letter:

Is Saint Peter at the gates of NBA finals arena?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,225

Post#90 » by Murray_17 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:20 pm

Doramas wrote:
Spoiler:
I've been a Sixers fan since Moses Malone, Dr.J, Maurice Cheeks...lifted our last championship and since then I've wanted nothing more than to see our Sixers win the Ring again, but right now I have mixed feelings, as our best player has once again deeply disappointed me, and this time not on a sporting level, but on a personal level. Embiid has proven once again that he is a person who cannot be trusted, and he has done it with one of the most sacred things there can be, the nation. Embiid sent a letter to French President Macron, asking for French nationality because it was the only national jersey he wanted to defend, and as we all know, he has done it again. He betrayed him. This is his letter:

The letter was written because the french national team was recruiting him but they needed to change the law, Embiid didn't meet the legal requirements to get a passport. The french team suggest he write the letter as a way to speed up the process.

He never made a 100% commitment to the team and always told them he was still deciding.

And even if he was "amoral", i would need something better than a letter about how much he loves France. The fact you consider this Treason is hilarious.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#91 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:22 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Doramas wrote:
Spoiler:

The letter was written because the french national team was recruiting him but they needed to change the law, Embiid didn't meet the legal requirements to get a passport. The french team suggest he write the letter as a way to speed up the process.

He never made a 100% commitment to the team and always told them he was still deciding.

And even if he was "amoral", i would need something better than a letter about how much he loves France. The fact you consider this Treason is hilarious.

Hey man, if you don't mind I'm gonna borrow this post and put it in the EMbiid Olymic thread on the GB. i'll quote you as well, but I'm tired of people dragging this man's carcass around and then **** him raw. **** simply needs to stop.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#92 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:28 pm

76ciology wrote:

Is Saint Peter at the gates of NBA finals arena?

No Doramas is. He's judge, jury and executioner, didn't you hear?
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,225

Post#93 » by Murray_17 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:30 pm

Yeah you can do it.

The process also involved bad luck, Joel would have played for France on the last Euro cup if not for his thumb injury. At the end of the day it''s what is.

edit: what you can do is criticize Joel for wanting a passport ahead of giving the entire commitment, sure. Taking that to the level of treason'? get out of here lol
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,994

Post#94 » by mjkvol » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:33 pm

Stanford and eyeatoma beat me to responding to this foolish troll job, both well done.

I'm not sure how anyone can predict entire series, much less an entire playoff path, like "Sixers in 6, then we'll beat the Bucks in 6". So much happens and changes from game to game in tough playoff series, which this certainly will be.

I can see the Knicks winning game 1 followed by the sky falling here, although everyone seems to feel the Sixers should win the series. But it's much like tennis, where the first break of serve, in this case a road win, is where the series really starts. And that might not happen until game 5, or even game 7.

There are so many factors - health, who has a hot hand or is ice cold, coaching adjustments, etc. - that will be going on from game to game and even quarter to quarter, I don't see how anyone can make an ironclad prediction. I think 76iology had the best post, giving the Sixers a 60% chance but spelling out why either team could win.

I give the Sixers the edge due to depth, having more scoring options, and of course the best player on the court. But it's going to come down to how healthy and effective Embiid can be, if Maxey can truly step up, as well as adjustments. Having Nurse on our bench is to me the x-factor, not just in this series, but as long as we're still alive.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,058

Post#95 » by Sixerscan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:58 pm

One thing I think is interesting is how people seem to be giving the Knicks a lot of credit for playoff chops they haven’t earned?

If the Sixers had the exact playoff run the Knicks had last year, i.e. handle a green Cavs team then get beat pretty easily by an 8 seed whose best player missed a game during the series/generally wasn’t at 100% for a chunk of it, the season would have been seen as even more of a disaster than what actually happened.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,058

Post#96 » by Sixerscan » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 pm

mjkvol wrote:Stanford and eyeatoma beat me to responding to this foolish troll job, both well done.

I'm not sure how anyone can predict entire series, much less an entire playoff path, like "Sixers in 6, then we'll beat the Bucks in 6". So much happens and changes from game to game in tough playoff series, which this certainly will be.

I can see the Knicks winning game 1 followed by the sky falling here, although everyone seems to feel the Sixers should win the series. But it's much like tennis, where the first break of serve, in this case a road win, is where the series really starts. And that might not happen until game 5, or even game 7.

There are so many factors - health, who has a hot hand or is ice cold, coaching adjustments, etc. - that will be going on from game to game and even quarter to quarter, I don't see how anyone can make an ironclad prediction. I think 76iology had the best post, giving the Sixers a 60% chance but spelling out why either team could win.

I give the Sixers the edge due to depth, having more scoring options, and of course the best player on the court. But it's going to come down to how healthy and effective Embiid can be, if Maxey can truly step up, as well as adjustments. Having Nurse on our bench is to me the x-factor, not just in this series, but as long as we're still alive.

It’s nice being confident in the coach for once. Tonight could be kind of rocky but assuming there aren’t just structural disadvantages I expect Nurse to eventually in the series land on something that works
76ciology
RealGM

Post#97 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:22 pm

Josh Hart shoots 30% from the left corner 3, 36.8% from the right corner 3, 23.6% from the right wing 3, and 29.7% from the left wing 3. However, he excels at shooting from the top of the arc, boasting a 38.6% success rate there. His mid-range shooting is bad, standing at only 22%.

OG is a proficient shooter from the corner 3 and top of the arc, and he also performs well shooting from the left and right baseline mid-range areas. Conversely, his percentages drop to 22% from right wing 3s and 31% from left wing 3s, he’s also just a 30+% shooter at elbow area.

Divicenzo struggles with a 26.9% success rate from the top of the arc and a below-average 34.9% from the left wing 3 (shoots 45.7% on right wing 3s). These areas might be where opponents choose to let him shoot if conceding an open 3.

Brunson only with a 42% accuracy in mid-range shooting, but he’s very good at 3s and painted area
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,994

Post#98 » by mjkvol » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:43 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
mjkvol wrote:Stanford and eyeatoma beat me to responding to this foolish troll job, both well done.

It’s nice being confident in the coach for once. Tonight could be kind of rocky but assuming there aren’t just structural disadvantages I expect Nurse to eventually in the series land on something that works

It's a feeling we haven't experienced here since when ... Larry Brown? For younger fans, they've known nothing but coaching incompetence as long as they've followed the Sixers.

But going from Glenn to Nurse is a true outhouse to penthouse experience.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,061

Post#99 » by sixers hoops » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:00 pm

76ciology wrote:Regarding Tobi and our rotations, we just adjust on a case to case basis. Batum wont hit 5-6 3s every game, and Tobi also wont struggle every game. Its probably also nice to have Council, if Oubre is struggling. Then hopefully Roco can be available at some point.

If Lowry is struggling, we could insert Dowtin. And hopefully Melton at some point.

Then if Maxey is struggling, we could insert Hield or Payne.

Back in February, I was told by somebody in the organization that Melton’s career is in jeopardy. They don’t think he will be able to play consistently due to the stress fractures in his back. Since then, he has had two interrupted attempts at coming back. It looks like Caris LeVert had a similar injury. This person didn’t have first-hand knowledge of Melton’s injury, but said the sentiment in the organization is that they are assuming he is done, and if he does play, then great. It doesn’t seem like he will, at the very least, be healthy for this playoff run.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#100 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:13 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:Regarding Tobi and our rotations, we just adjust on a case to case basis. Batum wont hit 5-6 3s every game, and Tobi also wont struggle every game. Its probably also nice to have Council, if Oubre is struggling. Then hopefully Roco can be available at some point.

If Lowry is struggling, we could insert Dowtin. And hopefully Melton at some point.

Then if Maxey is struggling, we could insert Hield or Payne.

Back in February, I was told by somebody in the organization that Melton’s career is in jeopardy. They don’t think he will be able to play consistently due to the stress fractures in his back. Since then, he has had two interrupted attempts at coming back. It looks like Caris LeVert had a similar injury. This person didn’t have first-hand knowledge of Melton’s injury, but said the sentiment in the organization is that they are assuming he is done, and if he does play, then great. It doesn’t seem like he will, at the very least, be healthy for this playoff run.

Thanks for sharing! This explains a lot on why Melton’s been pushing back his return.

Do you have any news about Roco?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers