ImageImageImage

Game 4: Sixers (1-2) vs. Knicks (2-1) | Sun Apr 28 1:00 PM (EST) TV: ABC

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Place your bets, gentlemen (unless you play for one of these teams)!

Poll ended at Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:28 pm

PHI - 5
70%
NYK +5
20%
PHI ML (-190)
10%
NYK ML (+160)
No votes

Total votes: 10

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,827

Re: Game 4: Sixers (1-2) vs. Knicks (2-1) | Sun Apr 28 1:00 PM (EST) TV: ABC 

Post#441 » by phillynative » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:30 am

Jhawk03 wrote:Oh crap, I was supposed to be the only one vote for NYK ML (+160) again... so I destroyed the juju. I'll take the blame, but ultimately I want to see this team go down swinging, even though many of the fans don't deserve it (maybe they're getting what they deserve?) for turning home court into neutral court... or even to some degree a Knicks home game.

I think this team deserves empty seats imo. Morey wasn't serious about this season because of his lust for this offseason and the makeup of the roster shows. I can't blame the fans for starting to checkout. The Knicks team is more of a Philly team than this Sixers team...

Yes they will go down swinging but their HP runs out next game.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 349

Post#442 » by Jhawk03 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:32 am

phillynative wrote:
Jhawk03 wrote:Oh crap, I was supposed to be the only one vote for NYK ML (+160) again... so I destroyed the juju. I'll take the blame, but ultimately I want to see this team go down swinging, even though many of the fans don't deserve it (maybe they're getting what they deserve?) for turning home court into neutral court... or even to some degree a Knicks home game.

I think this team deserves empty seats imo. Morey wasn't serious about this season because of his lust for this offseason and the makeup of the roster shows. I can't blame the fans for starting to checkout. The Knicks team is more of a Philly team than this Sixers team...

For those fans who sold their tickets for profit, they're no better than Josh Harris imho. The long term implications of this worry me. I mean it's been said... Philly isn't a FA destination, but now this team is creating a culture that excuses Tobias Harris, and any incoming FA that the Sixers do get, can play out there contract without any pressure because ownership has generated a fanbase of entitled, soft crybabies who'll make excuses and sell out the team because "woe is me, we suck".

Now I do agree this team deserves empty seats, but if Joel becomes the poster child for the reason why (fans being upset at him calling them out for the Knick fan invasion) then I'll have to consider for the first time in my life following a different team/city/organization.
phillynative
General Manager

Post#443 » by phillynative » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:45 am

Jhawk03 wrote:
phillynative wrote:

For those fans who sold their tickets for profit, they're no better than Josh Harris imho. The long term implications of this worry me. I mean it's been said... Philly isn't a FA destination, but now this team is creating a culture that excuses Tobias Harris, and any incoming FA that the Sixers do get, can play out there contract without any pressure because ownership has generated a fanbase of entitled, soft crybabies who'll make excuses and sell out the team because "woe is me, we suck".

Now I do agree this team deserves empty seats, but if Joel becomes the poster child for the reason why (fans being upset at him calling them out for the Knick fan invasion) then I'll have to consider for the first time in my life following a different team/city/organization.

You cant compare working class fans to Josh Harris c'mon man. Josh Harris is all about growing his businesses and profit. I don't think there's any mental , emotional connection to this team like most Philly basketball fans who have been following them all their lives.

You don't get to fail miserably every season and expect fans to not start to checkout.

I don't think fans should be mad he called them out. Just roll their eyes and keep it pushing. Who cares what Joel says at this point.

Did you go the game?
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 349

Post#444 » by Jhawk03 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:00 am

phillynative wrote:
Jhawk03 wrote:
phillynative wrote:

You cant compare working class fans to Josh Harris c'mon man. Josh Harris is all about growing his businesses and profit. I don't think there's any mental , emotional connection to this team like most Philly basketball fans who have been following them all their lives.

You don't get to fail miserably every season and expect fans to not start to checkout.

I don't think fans should be mad he called them out. Just roll their eyes and keep it pushing. Who cares what Joel says at this point.

Did you go the game?

I made no such comparison, if anything it's the opposite. The fans can't sell out to Knicks fans and simultaneously cry foul. Just empty the stadium if that's how you feel, or give your tickets to kids or fans who almost never get a chance to watch their Sixers play. Don't sell for profit to scum.

I'm not from Philly so I didn't go to the game, but I sure as **** wouldn't sell my tickets to Knicks scum for profit. The fans are the last line of defense, if we exhibit the same characteristics as ownership does, well then here we are. On another note, Morey is on thin ice, ultimately my expectations revolve around the off season, Morey has to hit homeruns after this. Can't do anything about Josh Harris, but the fans can do a little more than selling out and humiliating the city yet cry about being called out for it.

For reference I won't say where I'm from, but that crap wouldn't fly at all unless we were united in opposition of ownership. This fanbase needs to figure some things out the same way the FO/ownership does.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,669

Post#445 » by Kolkmania » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:19 am

Mik317 wrote:again the gameplan seemed to be for Biid to make sure his guy can't get to the boards due to his lack of lift. Most of the orebs were from Hart flying in from the 3pt line for example which is moreso on Tobias/Batum IMO.

But also they are simply an insane oreb team lol.

sometimes its okay to give credit to the other team without it being defcon 1 over here and the team needing to be imploded lol

many seem to have gone into this series with the belief that we simply outclass the Knicks when all season long that has proven to not be the case. Each loss from the regular season came due to being killed on the boards, random hot shooting, and no Biid....and what do you know? Same thing happening now.

The way I see it...we are a two and maybe a half man team rn. McBride is outscoring our bench by himself most nights. They pretty consistantly have gotten 4 good-great performances from players most nights...and even when guys like Hart have off nights...he still pulls down 17 boards. I feel like a broken record but basketball is a TEAM sport and the bottom line is that we rely on one guy to do too much atm. They have survived subpar Brunson performances; we need Biid AND Maxey to score 30 no matter what. Bu-but they are the best players so they HAVE to do it anyway or else they are fraud beta quitters with no dawg who don't want it enough doe. I just don't think that is the correct way to approach anything imo.

We aren't trading Biid or Maxey. Morey didn't reup to rebuild. Nurse didn't sign here to rebuild. Harris wants a new stadium and going Process 2.0 doesn't seem to be the best way to do that. So even if you really really really want it and think thats the best path forward....i simply do not see it happening atm and thus it is really pointless to even talk about...because if thats the case then I will keep going on about how we should just get Wemby for Paul Reed. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT "CRITICIZE" BIID. Again I have been waiting for the real stinker game from Biid this entire run. I have said on plenty of occasions that I don't think you can win with Biid as the do everything guy. There is more than enough to get on him for.

I like(d) this place because it was the one place in which the discourse wasn't always "this guy sucks and we should trade him because he is a bitch"; that you get everywhere else...and yet every single loss here we go lol. I am so zen about the losses this year because despite it all I think Maxey and Biid have shown enough that we still have a shot even if said shot is miniscule as ****. I am the guy who made the negative nancy thread (was more of an attempt at a reverse jinx....kinda worked because that Miami game was my biggest fear...as it would mean we would have had to face boston) ffs. The way I see it...despite Biid being a corpse again and Maxey going awol for long stretches and the rest of the team being old, buns, or somehow both...and despite us being down 3-1 and probably about to lay the biggest of stinkers in game 5...we have been in every game which a shot to win it. Now I don't know what is possible this offseason and I have my doubts a bout Morey's plan....but it doesn't feel as near hopeless as previous end of year times were IMO. I would have traded Biid for Scoot Henderson last offseason it was so bad lol. That can quickly change and this is very much the last rodeo so to speak but idk I don't get the angst this year.

tldr: we are losing "mostly" due to our 3-15....most of which won't even be here next year; relax.

Fully agree. Remember that this is the year we traded one of our stars for Batum, Morris, RoCo and replenished our draft assets. I think it was quite clear that the roster construction as is, had a very low probability of making a deep play off run given Embiid's health. I predicted that trading for Hield was a mistake, since it costed us somewhat valuable picks but wouldn't be enough to get us over the hump.

This offseason will be so huge, since we have to determine our path forward. I do hope that this series pushes our FO towards a direction of having a really good 7-8 man rotation instead of 3 stars, surrounded by scraps.
I kind of enjoy watching the Knicks to be honest, the level of cohesiveness on defense, the balance between hustle/energy and composure is amazing. With the modern NBA and defenses being capable of helping and rotating back on such high levels, requires all players on the court to have amazing processing speed. I think the best example is Lowry probably being our 3rd best player this series, despite being 38 years old and 6'1''.

But ultimately we need Maxey to make another development leap (perhaps unfair to him), but we need better playmaking from him if he simply can't blow by people. Let him watch Brunson navigate screens the entire offseason. Throwing the ball to Embiid in the 4th quarter is just not a sustainable clutch offense.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Post#446 » by M2J » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:39 am

I didn't blame Nurse for playing Joel the whole 2nd half. They were in the game at the end, if he didn't they wouldn't have been.

Specifically they needed Joel's size defensively, and to put a body on people, and as a decoy offensively.

My issue with the move is that more needs to be done, so he can rest on the court. I've been calling for Reed to play with him the whole series and that's a lot coming from me when it comes to Reed. But Paul is truly a 4 defensively. With Joel occupying space and Knicks boxing him out, it allows Paul to get in the dunker spot with rebounding being his focus, and I think he can do that. Defensively.... They have no one that is going to attack him off the dribble, he just needs to close out on shooters and secondary rim protection. That's harder to pull off vs Boston. Easier vs the Knicks lack of creators. Also, offense sucks... Put Payne in longer... Add another creator to help Tyrese. But mainly let Oubre handle more... Especially if he has mismatches.

I didn't feel like he had a plan for things that were clearly possible in this series and that's very disappointing.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,076

Post#447 » by mjkvol » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:02 am

Dave_R wrote:I'm a Knicks fan coming in peace. I've been watching hoop for a long time (63 years old).

Here's what I see to be the problem Philly has: Philly has nobody to do the dirty work. Lowry can a little bit but, at this point, he's too old (and also too small). They need a gritty/dirty work player or two. If they don't get that type of player, they cannot win. Remember, the last time Philly won, they had Iavaroni, Bobby Jones, and Clemon Johnson to do the dirty work.

And don't forget Clint Richardson, a big defensive cog on that team.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
phillynative
General Manager

Post#448 » by phillynative » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 am

M2J wrote:I didn't blame Nurse for playing Joel the whole 2nd half. They were in the game at the end, if he didn't they wouldn't have been.

Specifically they needed Joel's size defensively, and to put a body on people, and as a decoy offensively.

My issue with the move is that more needs to be done, so he can rest on the court. I've been calling for Reed to play with him the whole series and that's a lot coming from me when it comes to Reed. But Paul is truly a 4 defensively. With Joel occupying space and Knicks boxing him out, it allows Paul to get in the dunker spot with rebounding being his focus, and I think he can do that. Defensively.... They have no one that is going to attack him off the dribble, he just needs to close out on shooters and secondary rim protection. That's harder to pull off vs Boston. Easier vs the Knicks lack of creators. Also, offense sucks... Put Payne in longer... Add another creator to help Tyrese. But mainly let Oubre handle more... Especially if he has mismatches.

I didn't feel like he had a plan for things that were clearly possible in this series and that's very disappointing.

Nurse is starting to come off as a little scary to me. We are obviously lacking in athleticism , Knicks are outquicking and jumping the sixers to the ball. We are playing 4 slow old players heavy minutes. He won't play either of our young athletic forwards. He seems afraid to cut Tobi mins who's already checked out.
He let Embiid who clearly fatigues at the end of games to let him stay in.

I know there's only so much he can do with this roster but atleast try something different like playing Reed at the 4 like you mentioned .
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#449 » by mjkvol » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:15 am

76ciology wrote:It's easy to suggest getting rid of Tobias, but the hard part is finding a suitable replacement.

I feel bad for Morey and Nurse; I think both of them did a really good job. It's just incredibly challenging to win with Embiid and his condition. It reminds me of the Rockets and Yao Ming back then.

Agree on Nurse, although yesterday was as much on him as anyone. I'm mixed on Morey, because I am among the group that felt this was a throwaway season and we should be focused on '24, thus no moves to improve at the deadline. All things considered, this is a team, while looking to next season to really make a push, that arguably could have been a ECF team but for a couple of close losses in this series. I think people lose sight of that with all the emotion in this series.

Regarding Tobias, 'replacing' him is not the issue. Getting another mediocre stat sheet stuffer who is a no show in big games and is not special at any part of the game should not be the goal. Signing a couple of players that are really good at specific things and will fit Nurse's scheme is what Morey should be after, unless he is going for a big fish. In that case, George or Siakam will be major upgrades.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#450 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:37 am

Joel Embiid: "we are the better team"
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,776

Post#451 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:43 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:Joel Embiid: "we are the better team"

To be fair, we are. Its just this team can’t be the better team on fourth quarters because we dont have gas left in our tank compared to NY.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#452 » by mjkvol » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:45 am

phillynative wrote:
Jhawk03 wrote:
phillynative wrote:

Did you go the game?

I thought it was a terrible look for an allegedly great sports town, but in thinking about it, those lower level WFC seats are not 'working class' fans, they are large money and many probably owned by corporations and given to employees, family, and clients. Clearly, there was a lack of interest here to invest the time to go yesterday, and probably a great amount of demand in NY for tickets.

As far as 'regular' fans, I can only imagine that they made a lot of money selling their seats for that game. Doesn't speak well for the city, and is pretty embarrassing for the organization, but it is what it is.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#453 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:45 am

76ciology wrote:

To be fair, we are. Its just this team can’t be the better team on fourth quarters because we dont have gas left in our tank compared to NY.

That is part of being a better team though.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#454 » by mjkvol » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:54 am

phillynative wrote:
M2J wrote:I didn't blame Nurse for playing Joel the whole 2nd half. They were in the game at the end, if he didn't they wouldn't have been.

Nurse is starting to come off as a little scary to me. We are obviously lacking in athleticism , Knicks are outquicking and jumping the sixers to the ball. We are playing 4 slow old players heavy minutes. He won't play either of our young athletic forwards. He seems afraid to cut Tobi mins who's already checked out.
He let Embiid who clearly fatigues at the end of games to let him stay in.

I know there's only so much he can do with this roster but atleast try something different like playing Reed at the 4 like you mentioned .

I don't disagree. This series is the first time I've really questioned Nurse all season - it's just puzzling why, given the clear need for rebounding and a more aggressive approach, that he won't at least give Council a little bit of run to see what he has. I get the downside of Reed with Embiid, the whole clogging up Embiid's space, but it is odd that he would never have explored it during the season.

Regarding playing Tobias heavy minutes, that is the oddest of all. I'll tell you this, if they are even thinking about bringing him back, at any price, then both Nurse and Morey should be done here.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#455 » by mjkvol » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:59 am

76ciology wrote:

The funny thing is, the Knicks as currently constituted, are a fun team to watch and play incredibly hard, but they are not a serious contender. If they don't add someone who can help Brunson with the scoring load, they aren't winning anything beyond a series or maybe two, and they know it. And Randle is not that guy. I could see them making a big push for George in the off season if they can create the space, or even for Durant.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#456 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:00 am

We are a serious contender though.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,985

Post#457 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:16 am

76ciology wrote:

We're not a better basketball team if we get too tired to play a full game of basketball.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,796

Post#458 » by the_process » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:44 pm

Re:Joel's comments about the fans

Did somebody ask the big doofus why exactly he thought people were selling their tickets?
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,796

Post#459 » by the_process » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:45 pm

76ciology wrote:

They're not. Time and time again we overestimate the talent on the roster from the top down.
seventy6ers
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#460 » by seventy6ers » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:17 pm

The team has talent, but can't win with the pieces it has. Tobias Harris is a waste and had only 10 points while missing open gimme shots. The bench rounded it out with a whopping 6 points. Payne looked good with the limited time he was given, but Nurse pulled him and didn't put him back in. There was a total lack of energy toward the end of the game. Hield can't even see the floor. I'm sorry but Morey failed with the build-out again. Hopefully when this season over, Harris walks and then we will see how good Morey is. No to PG also. This team needs shooters !!!

Return to Philadelphia 76ers