ImageImageImage

Game 4: Sixers (1-2) vs. Knicks (2-1) | Sun Apr 28 1:00 PM (EST) TV: ABC

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Place your bets, gentlemen (unless you play for one of these teams)!

Poll ended at Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:28 pm

PHI - 5
70%
NYK +5
20%
PHI ML (-190)
10%
NYK ML (+160)
No votes

Total votes: 10

Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,096

Re: Game 4: Sixers (1-2) vs. Knicks (2-1) | Sun Apr 28 1:00 PM (EST) TV: ABC 

Post#421 » by Embiid P » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:17 am

Dave_R wrote:I'm a Knicks fan coming in peace. I've been watching hoop for a long time (63 years old).

Here's what I see to be the problem Philly has: Philly has nobody to do the dirty work. Lowry can a little bit but, at this point, he's too old (and also too small). They need a gritty/dirty work player or two. If they don't get that type of player, they cannot win. Remember, the last time Philly won, they had Iavaroni, Bobby Jones, and Clemon Johnson to do the dirty work.

They had such a player last year in PJ Tucker, but he was a complete offensive liability. That said, I think he would have helped us a lot on the boards in this series. I think Ricky Council, Jr. could potentially be that player if given the opportunity but alas..
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,777

Post#422 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:19 am

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,686

Post#423 » by FireMorey » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:19 am

I think Nurse did fine. I don't think coaches impact the game much. Unless you have a rare generational coach. I don't agree Morey has done a really good job. We saw the team and how they played when Embiid went down. They were awful. Any team that reliant on one player is not well constructed. In fairness to him, I don't even think he tried to win this year. All their offseason moves were done with summer 2024 cap space in mind. But that doesn't exclude the other offseasons and that doesn't mean what he did was "good." Or very good for that matter. That will be decided in the coming months when we see what he does in free agency. Kelly Oubre who was a last minute pickup off the scrap heap is probably their 3rd best player. 38 year old Kyle Lowry is getting significant playoff minutes. This is not a serious team and this is not a serious roster. It's Embiid and Maxey elevating a 12 win roster.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,473

Post#424 » by Eyeamok » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:22 am

76ciology wrote:It's easy to suggest getting rid of Tobias, but the hard part is finding a suitable replacement.

I feel bad for Morey and Nurse; I think both of them did a really good job. It's just incredibly challenging to win with Embiid and his condition. It reminds me of the Rockets and Yao Ming back then.

I agree with you about Morey and Nurse. Morey get's a chance to show what he can do this off season. Nurse has been good all season.

What does Harris do when it counts the most, in the playoffs? He is inconsistent at best.

Fans on this board talk about Embiid is not this and Embiid is not that. But this team gave up multiple offensive rebounds in the 4th quarter when it mattered most. Embiid can only do so much. Can someone anyone, Harris, step up and help him? We all know during this series Embiid needs to take a break at the end of the 3rd quarter going into the 4th. I don't know why this did not happen but Embiid showed the effects of not getting enough rest. It is just who he is, I don't fault him for that. Maxey is young and will only get better.

I tip my hat to Brunson, that guy was on fire today. Wow what a game. We knew it was only a matter of time before he had a game like this, congratulations to him. But even with his break out game, the 76ers were sill in it. Their Embiid rest plan and the rebounding plan were their undoing.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,796

Post#425 » by the_process » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:31 am

It's not really surprising the Sixers are losing this. They were not serious about winning this year, they just paid it lip service.

The fans obviously know that too. Because they didn't care about keeping Knick fans out of the building.

I like all the Nova guys the Knicks have, and it's annoying I can't just hate them like Boston. :lol:
the_process
RealGM

Post#426 » by the_process » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:36 am

FireMorey wrote:I think Nurse did fine. I don't think coaches impact the game much. Unless you have a rare generational coach. I don't agree Morey has done a really good job. We saw the team and how they played when Embiid went down. They were awful. Any team that reliant on one player is not well constructed. In fairness to him, I don't even think he tried to win this year. All their offseason moves were done with summer 2024 cap space in mind. But that doesn't exclude the other offseasons and that doesn't mean what he did was "good." Or very good for that matter. That will be decided in the coming months when we see what he does in free agency. Kelly Oubre who was a last minute pickup off the scrap heap is probably their 3rd best player. 38 year old Kyle Lowry is getting significant playoff minutes. This is not a serious team and this is not a serious roster. It's Embiid and Maxey elevating a 12 win roster.

If Nurse plays Tobias 30+ minutes again, he does not get a free pass from me.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#427 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:41 am

Eyeamok wrote:
76ciology wrote:It's easy to suggest getting rid of Tobias, but the hard part is finding a suitable replacement.

I feel bad for Morey and Nurse; I think both of them did a really good job. It's just incredibly challenging to win with Embiid and his condition. It reminds me of the Rockets and Yao Ming back then.

I agree with you about Morey and Nurse. Morey get's a chance to show what he can do this off season. Nurse has been good all season.

What does Harris do when it counts the most, in the playoffs? He is inconsistent at best.

Fans on this board talk about Embiid is not this and Embiid is not that. But this team gave up multiple offensive rebounds in the 4th quarter when it mattered most. Embiid can only do so much. Can someone anyone, Harris, step up and help him? We all know during this series Embiid needs to take a break at the end of the 3rd quarter going into the 4th. I don't know why this did not happen but Embiid showed the effects of not getting enough rest. It is just who he is, I don't fault him for that. Maxey is young and will only get better.

I tip my hat to Brunson, that guy was on fire today. Wow what a game. We knew it was only a matter of time before he had a game like this, congratulations to him. But even with his break out game, the 76ers were sill in it. Their Embiid rest plan and the rebounding plan were their undoing.

Honestly, I find it to be Jojo’s fault for missing those rebounds; that was his primary job. The rest is secondary

Similarly, I find it to be Maxey’s fault that we didn't look good during those non-Embiid minutes; that was his primary job. The rest is secondary.

Personally, the struggle with the second unit was Cam Payne trying to do too much and not getting any results in the first half, along with Melton looking lost on offense. But its mostly Maxey struggling to lead the non embiid 5 man units.

It's also worth noting that we're not outrebounding the Knicks without Tobias, and that we're getting outrebounded much more with Tobias than without him.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#428 » by Eyeamok » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:44 am

Embiid P wrote:
Dave_R wrote:I'm a Knicks fan coming in peace. I've been watching hoop for a long time (63 years old).

Here's what I see to be the problem Philly has: Philly has nobody to do the dirty work. Lowry can a little bit but, at this point, he's too old (and also too small). They need a gritty/dirty work player or two. If they don't get that type of player, they cannot win. Remember, the last time Philly won, they had Iavaroni, Bobby Jones, and Clemon Johnson to do the dirty work.

They had such a player last year in PJ Tucker, but he was a complete offensive liability. That said, I think he would have helped us a lot on the boards in this series. I think Ricky Council, Jr. could potentially be that player if given the opportunity but alas..

I doubt PJ could help. He can't even get off the Clippers bench in the regular season much less the playoffs. Paul Reed could probably do all the things PJ could do. And Reed does not even see the court unless Embiid is not playing.

Bring on the draft

Marlo
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant

Post#429 » by Eyeamok » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:50 am

76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Honestly, I find it to be Jojo’s fault for missing those rebounds; that was his primary job. The rest is secondary

Similarly, I find it to be Maxey’s fault that we didn't look good during those non-Embiid minutes; that was his primary job. The rest is secondary.

Personally, the struggle with the second unit was Cam Payne trying to do too much and not getting any results in the first half, along with Melton looking lost on offense. But its mostly Maxey struggling to lead the non embiid 5 man units.

It's also worth noting that we're not outrebounding the Knicks without Tobias, and that we're getting outrebounded much more with Tobias than without him.

I can give Embiid a pass for his rebounding woes for this game because he did not get the necessary in game rest.
I can give Maxey a pass for not running a good non Embiid minutes team. He is young and still growing into his position.

Your stats are always spot on, and if this team is rebounding worse when Harris is out, then rebounding is a lost cause. That cause has to be addressed in the off-season.

Bring on the draft

Marlo
76ciology
RealGM

Post#430 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:00 am

Tobias has underperformed and is one of the reasons why we're losing. He's an easy scapegoat to protect the guys we're rooting for.

By blaming Tobias and turning a blind eye to the players who are more responsible for our struggles, we won't find the solution to this multi-year issue.

If we solely focus on Tobias, we might believe that playing Batum to replace Tobias in those non-Embiid units or down the stretch will lead to better performance or help us outrebound the Knicks.

Instead, we should figure out why Embiid can't crash the boards and why Maxey struggled to carry the offense in those non-Embiid minutes.

Throughout the regular season and in games 1 and 2 of the playoffs, we were able to shut down Jalen Brunson. How did he figure out our offense in the last two games? Was it through screening actions? This type of problem-solving is how we should approach the non-Embiid minutes. If we can unlock Maxey’s scoring potential in those moments, it could allow Embiid to play fewer heavy minutes and keep him fresh down the stretch to help us grab rebounds.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#431 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:12 am

We have to be realistic; there’s no magic pill solution now, like replacing Tobias with Wembanyama.

How do we keep Embiid fresh down the stretch in the upcoming games:
- Limit Brunson’s scoring. Its his scoring in the third that caused the imbalance with our rotation.
- Find a way for Maxey to score more easily in those non-Embiid minutes.

If we're talking about the offseason:
- Find a suitable power forward to help Embiid on the defensive end.
- Find a suitable partner for Maxey to play the two-man game with.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#432 » by Iverson Armband » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:37 am

I’ll just say this. You can’t continue to blame the coaches year after year. We’ve had 3 of them and it’s the same crap. At some point we need to be realistic about the guys that are actually on the court playing. Before people take that the wrong way, no that does not mean our stars suck and that we should trade them. But maybe they aren’t as good as we think they are. Both can be true.
always a jump shot away.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,686

Post#433 » by FireMorey » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:38 am

Embiid isn't going to be fresh down the stretch. He has to play every minute because they have no depth thanks to the GM, he missed 2 months due to injury so isn't fully in shape yet, and there's something wrong with his knee(god only knows what this time).

I said the minute he had his surgery the Sixers season ended that day for this exact reason. Even if he somehow made it back to the playoffs. A) The odds of him returning in shape are slim. B) He'll have to play increased minutes in the playoffs to win and his body won't be able to handle it coming off surgery. C) His knee will take time to feel right, the odds he just returns looking 100% are slim. D) He needs to sustain it all for an entire playoff run.

The odds of all of those things working out in the Sixers favor was slim. But fans talked themselves into this team being able to make a run this year. Probably because it's the natural inclination of fans to cling to optimism, so people just figured this year would be different because Harden and Rivers were sent packing. But the Sixers problems over the entire process era have always come down to two things. 1) Embiid not being 100% when it matters most, so not being able to be at his best. 2) There not being good enough players around him. That has not changed this year. And they will never win a title unless at least one of those things finally works out for the Sixers and most likely will need both to work out.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,945

Post#434 » by Mik317 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:43 am

again the gameplan seemed to be for Biid to make sure his guy can't get to the boards due to his lack of lift. Most of the orebs were from Hart flying in from the 3pt line for example which is moreso on Tobias/Batum IMO.

But also they are simply an insane oreb team lol.

sometimes its okay to give credit to the other team without it being defcon 1 over here and the team needing to be imploded lol

many seem to have gone into this series with the belief that we simply outclass the Knicks when all season long that has proven to not be the case. Each loss from the regular season came due to being killed on the boards, random hot shooting, and no Biid....and what do you know? Same thing happening now.

The way I see it...we are a two and maybe a half man team rn. McBride is outscoring our bench by himself most nights. They pretty consistantly have gotten 4 good-great performances from players most nights...and even when guys like Hart have off nights...he still pulls down 17 boards. I feel like a broken record but basketball is a TEAM sport and the bottom line is that we rely on one guy to do too much atm. They have survived subpar Brunson performances; we need Biid AND Maxey to score 30 no matter what. Bu-but they are the best players so they HAVE to do it anyway or else they are fraud beta quitters with no dawg who don't want it enough doe. I just don't think that is the correct way to approach anything imo.

We aren't trading Biid or Maxey. Morey didn't reup to rebuild. Nurse didn't sign here to rebuild. Harris wants a new stadium and going Process 2.0 doesn't seem to be the best way to do that. So even if you really really really want it and think thats the best path forward....i simply do not see it happening atm and thus it is really pointless to even talk about...because if thats the case then I will keep going on about how we should just get Wemby for Paul Reed. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT "CRITICIZE" BIID. Again I have been waiting for the real stinker game from Biid this entire run. I have said on plenty of occasions that I don't think you can win with Biid as the do everything guy. There is more than enough to get on him for.

I like(d) this place because it was the one place in which the discourse wasn't always "this guy sucks and we should trade him because he is a bitch"; that you get everywhere else...and yet every single loss here we go lol. I am so zen about the losses this year because despite it all I think Maxey and Biid have shown enough that we still have a shot even if said shot is miniscule as ****. I am the guy who made the negative nancy thread (was more of an attempt at a reverse jinx....kinda worked because that Miami game was my biggest fear...as it would mean we would have had to face boston) ffs. The way I see it...despite Biid being a corpse again and Maxey going awol for long stretches and the rest of the team being old, buns, or somehow both...and despite us being down 3-1 and probably about to lay the biggest of stinkers in game 5...we have been in every game which a shot to win it. Now I don't know what is possible this offseason and I have my doubts a bout Morey's plan....but it doesn't feel as near hopeless as previous end of year times were IMO. I would have traded Biid for Scoot Henderson last offseason it was so bad lol. That can quickly change and this is very much the last rodeo so to speak but idk I don't get the angst this year.

tldr: we are losing "mostly" due to our 3-15....most of which won't even be here next year; relax.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
the_process
RealGM

Post#435 » by the_process » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:44 am

76ciology wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:

Disagree. Tobias is soft. He's not battling guys for tough rebounds. His 4 rebounds a night are like floor boards with no one else around. Just let Reed and Council play already.

On the Ricky, they mentioned that they didn't think guys who haven't played all year could help you now. So the old Jim Fregosi theory of "dance with the girl you brought", which of course got us a Joe Carter walkoff Workd Seies winning 3 run homer against.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,945

Post#436 » by Mik317 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:57 am

Iverson Armband wrote:I’ll just say this. You can’t continue to blame the coaches year after year. We’ve had 3 of them and it’s the same crap. At some point we need to be realistic about the guys that are actually on the court playing. Before people take that the wrong way, no that does not mean our stars suck and that we should trade them. But maybe they aren’t as good as we think they are. Both can be true.

Its funny ....I think our coaches have been fine most of our playoff runs

Brett out coached Spo and when we lost it was due to youth (Boston), Insane shots (Toronto), and of course injury (Boston again). His rigidedness on PNR and lust for DHO sucked and it was time for a new voice at the end but yeah in the playoffs he did what he could.

Doc is an **** who hated playing young guys but that seems to just be a coach thing. He didn't adjust well or quickly or at all but I also ask you...adjust to what? Doc probably had the most to do with our losses of our coaches due to him sticking with George Hill over Maxey or putting Danny on Trae but the next two years I felt like he did relent a bit. Still glad he's gone lol.

Nurse has been "fine" There are some actual adjustments...the thing is that not all of them will work. Going to playing Biid all second half backfired and I would have went to a small ball lineup to start the 4th but its also one of those things that is easy to say now. I would have played Council personally but I also wouldn't have played Payne and his little spark got us a nice lead. SO you win some you lose some

The common theme tho feels like each coach really don't have as much flexibility due to roster construction. Brett spammed DHOs because Ben was the only ballhandler for most of his run. Morey kept giving Doc corpses to overplay. And currently the team is carrying too much scuff imo. This doesn't absolve the players either as IMO I think Biid still thinks he can do it all and wants it this way with guys who only can shoot...but thats still up to the FO to save dudes from themselves.

But yeah coaching while not great isn't as high on the list of problems especially this year. Its just the easy go to for folks...just like just trading everyone is too.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Decipher
Rookie
And1: 987

Post#437 » by Decipher » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:02 am

Some of you guys have been far too easy on Morey & co for the Tobias situation

Bad contracts get traded all the time & there’s no rule which says that the situation has to be resolved by one trade
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,827

Post#438 » by phillynative » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 am

FireMorey wrote:I think Nurse did fine. I don't think coaches impact the game much. Unless you have a rare generational coach. I don't agree Morey has done a really good job. We saw the team and how they played when Embiid went down. They were awful. Any team that reliant on one player is not well constructed. In fairness to him, I don't even think he tried to win this year. All their offseason moves were done with summer 2024 cap space in mind. But that doesn't exclude the other offseasons and that doesn't mean what he did was "good." Or very good for that matter. That will be decided in the coming months when we see what he does in free agency. Kelly Oubre who was a last minute pickup off the scrap heap is probably their 3rd best player. 38 year old Kyle Lowry is getting significant playoff minutes. This is not a serious team and this is not a serious roster. It's Embiid and Maxey elevating a 12 win roster.

My assessment of the team as well. We are over reliaing on two close to retired players. We did not have a starting Guard next to Maxey all season. He could of atleast addressed the rebounding issues which we have had all season. Tobi is checked out lol go figure. I don't consider Reed to be a legit back up center, everyone keeps saying he's fine but he's not reliable enough to back a oft-injured player like Embiid.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#439 » by brannigan73 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:25 am

If they lose this series, and it seems almost certain at this point, a lot of it comes down to effort. The Knicks play much harder then the Sixers on average. The Knicks are a much better rebounding team then the Sixers and Im not sure why that should be. I know Josh Hart is an excellent rebounder for a guard but outside there centers they field realtively short players. I know OG is listed as at 6'8 but I feel like he is probably more about 6'6, he doesnt look as tall as Tobias to me, althogh he plays bigger then his size. After him and the centers they dont play anyone bigger then about 6'4. Oubre and Harris are not good rebounders for there size and Maxey is not a good rebounder and Paul Reed is not a good rebounder. When you have a team of bad rebounders your not going to rebound well lol. And we dont box out. Whatever we do this offseason we need to get bigger and more athletic. We have needed to do that for years but Morey apparently doesnt feel like thats a problem.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 349

Post#440 » by Jhawk03 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:46 am

Oh crap, I was supposed to be the only one vote for NYK ML (+160) again... so I destroyed the juju. I'll take the blame, but ultimately I want to see this team go down swinging, even though many of the fans don't deserve it (maybe they're getting what they deserve?) for turning home court into neutral court... or even to some degree a Knicks home game.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers