ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#41 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:38 pm

NYG wrote:As a Knicks fan, I'm not here to troll. I'm genuinely curious what the off-season holds for the 76ers.

Let me start with 2 things first...

1. Maxey is awesome, you have a legit stud in Maxey
2. It sucks because two things are true. A) Embiid is the best basketball player in the world and B) He will never be healthy

Okay, now that I got that out of the way... I unfortunately see Daryl Morey trading all of your picks and cap space for Kevin Durant this off-season.

If Embiid was the best basketball player in the world, this series wouldn't be 1-3, safe to say Jokic in this team would have us 3-1 at minimum.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 659

Post#42 » by HardenToSixers » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:40 pm

ship Embiid out. get value. bad leader and we'll never win with him. dirty play after dirty play is inexcusable. I'd rather have the stimulus package to restart the rebuild.

it's not gonna be what happens but it's the right move and it's been the right move for a few years now truthfully speaking
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#43 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:44 pm

HardenToSixers wrote:ship Embiid out. get value. bad leader and we'll never win with him. dirty play after dirty play is inexcusable. I'd rather have the stimulus package to restart the rebuild.

it's not gonna be what happens but it's the right move and it's been the right move for a few years now truthfully speaking

In the end it will happen the predictable: one last push with geriatric George baby! next season we will say: this is the season!
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,604

Post#44 » by NYSixersFan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:07 pm

Anyone actually think this team has a better chance of winning with Morey than Embiid? You trade Embiid and keep Morey and you're finished as relevant basketball team.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,773

Post#45 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:20 am

Once you've figured out how to win with this team, you'll also figure out how to win an entire playoff without Embiid.

Superstar bigs in the playoffs must be able to play at a high level for 40-50 minutes. Players like Jokic or Giannis have done this in big games. If their shot isn’t falling, they contribute in other aspects like defense and rebounding.

If Embiid can’t do this consistently, then you need to build two championship-caliber teams with this roster. There’s no other way.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,796

Post#46 » by the_process » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:44 am

76ciology wrote:Once you've figured out how to win with this team, you'll also figure out how to win an entire playoff without Embiid.

Superstar bigs in the playoffs must be able to play at a high level for 40-50 minutes. Players like Jokic or Giannis have done this in big games. If their shot isn’t falling, they contribute in other aspects like defense and rebounding.

If Embiid can’t do this consistently, then you need to build two championship-caliber teams with this roster. There’s no other way.

Embiid has to take a step back on offense, like to 3rd option, and focus on defense and rebounding. Then Morey needs to bring in another scorer.

If Embiid is not willing to do this, then the team needs to go another direction.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#47 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:24 am

the_process wrote:
76ciology wrote:Once you've figured out how to win with this team, you'll also figure out how to win an entire playoff without Embiid.

Embiid has to take a step back on offense, like to 3rd option, and focus on defense and rebounding. Then Morey needs to bring in another scorer.

If Embiid is not willing to do this, then the team needs to go another direction.

IMO there are two ways to solve this.

One scenario is if Embiid has enough gas left. In this case, we need to find a suitable partner for Maxey to play the two-man game with so we can still score when Embiid is on the bench.

The other scenario is if Embiid's health is declining. In this case, we need to find someone who can play the role I mentioned earlier and also semi-carry our rebounding and defense (AKA Embiid clone).

For now, the closest guy I can see who can play this role and is acquirable is Siakam.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,943

Post#48 » by Mik317 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:12 am

Thought Biid's defense was pretty good down the stretch
but also Giannis had Middleton close games for him due to his lack of jumper. Jokic has the two man game with Murray.

Its not about building a championship team without Biid...just a .500 level team would do ha. Instant offense guys off the bench or a guy who can play the offense passing hub game with Maxey. That was the best part of Harden or the idea of it..hell that was the point of Ben. Maxey is a great scorer but not always as a guy who can create his own no matter what as a lot of his offense comes off of the gravity Biid creates...and currently the non Biid lineups have too many guys teams can just ignore which makes it easy to key in on Maxey atm.

Next season Maxey needs to be the smallest guy who gets major minutes and Biid has to be the slowest...damn near everyone else has to be above average athletically and willing to chuck the moment they are open. This will help the rebounding and transition defense and make it harder to throw doubles and you can hide Maxey on defense consistently. Getting a real shot creator type is also needed so when Maxey is off or Biid is out (physically or mentally) you have someone who can get their own shot no matter what. Thats not creating a championship team sans Biid IMO

The goal has to be to field a team that is "good" but then the boost Biid brings to lineups takes that good to insane...in that scenario it won't require Biid to have to score 35 a night or 70 to beat the Spurs...but during the times it does happen its a blowout.

Now the issue is currently, we are mostly relying on FA in which guys have to want to come here or hoping we can outbid teams for guys in trades (and they want to come here lol) which we at home can't account for and IMO I don't think is likely. BUT the FO has no excuse as this is IT in terms of playing their hand so eh
#NeverGonnaBeGood
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,686

Post#49 » by FireMorey » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:36 am

People have to realize that whatever team trades for Embiid will be a team that wants one player to put them over the top. The Charlotte Hornets are not trading for Embiid. So any picks you get from that team will be in the 20's in the first round. Which essentially means you are getting trash.

They are not trading Embiid. They are not going to get anything good for him if they did. They ride this ship until it crashes and burns. And if it crashes and burns, yes, it will take a long time to rebuild. But that's the NBA and that's why the NBA sucks. And fans should learn by now that the best way to consume the NBA is to stop watching and paying attention when your team craters until your team at the very least has young players to get excited about and is back on the upward trajectory. That will spare you the misery and monotony of a rebuild. That will always exist because that's just the way the NBA is.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#50 » by Mik317 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:53 am

this offseason will be it for this era.

if there is no progress then things will get blown up. We have to use most of our assets this year and that will dictate everything.

I currently based on what I know now and what I think Morey want...don't have high hopes but I am willing to see it out. I think Morey still thinks the best way to build a team is to just stack names and the PG13 rumors only strengthens that. He'd be a good fit mind you but is old, injury prone, and prone to pooping himself like Biid lol. I also don't think he leaves LA for here either. BUT I also can see someone we didn't expect coming available and getting him somehow too...so eh.

If Biid does go to Paris (he shouldn't imo) then there is a chance he learns from it or someone gets in his ear for a team up (Curry is my guess) so its not that long anyway.

But as FireMorey said...I am not worried about Biid' losing value or the rebuild taking longer at this moment anyway. It being this offseason or 5 years from now matters not to me. IMO despite it all and the increasingly less likelyhood of it all I still say Biid gives us the best chance to win...because if you don't trust this FO to build around him...I wouldn't trust them ina rebuild either lol. I also don't think he has the value you'd think he does if only due to the injuries and position he plays. Like I can see you getting another question mark in like Zion back for him but what does that solve? Gobert for all of his issues is a much easier fit on most ready teams and again I don't think anyone is a ballsy to make that trade for Biid...doesn't help that a lot of team simply don;'t have their picks either lol. OKC owns half of them ha.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM

Post#51 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:02 am

Fwiw, its very unlikely that we trade Embiid. Its very likely we just try to paul george (or somebody), kyle lowry and nic batum our way in the next 2-3 years. Which is the best move until we hold our picks and also max out the Embiid era in the process.

Btw, Paul George’s value is as volatile as a memecoin.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#52 » by 76ciology » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Mik317 wrote:

Thought Biid's defense was pretty good down the stretch
but also Giannis had Middleton close games for him due to his lack of jumper. Jokic has the two man game with Murray.

Its not about building a championship team without Biid...just a .500 level team would do ha. Instant offense guys off the bench or a guy who can play the offense passing hub game with Maxey. That was the best part of Harden or the idea of it..hell that was the point of Ben. Maxey is a great scorer but not always as a guy who can create his own no matter what as a lot of his offense comes off of the gravity Biid creates...and currently the non Biid lineups have too many guys teams can just ignore which makes it easy to key in on Maxey atm.

Next season Maxey needs to be the smallest guy who gets major minutes and Biid has to be the slowest...damn near everyone else has to be above average athletically and willing to chuck the moment they are open. This will help the rebounding and transition defense and make it harder to throw doubles and you can hide Maxey on defense consistently. Getting a real shot creator type is also needed so when Maxey is off or Biid is out (physically or mentally) you have someone who can get their own shot no matter what. Thats not creating a championship team sans Biid IMO

The goal has to be to field a team that is "good" but then the boost Biid brings to lineups takes that good to insane...in that scenario it won't require Biid to have to score 35 a night or 70 to beat the Spurs...but during the times it does happen its a blowout.

Now the issue is currently, we are mostly relying on FA in which guys have to want to come here or hoping we can outbid teams for guys in trades (and they want to come here lol) which we at home can't account for and IMO I don't think is likely. BUT the FO has no excuse as this is IT in terms of playing their hand so eh

His rebounding down the stretch has been lacking, as seen in Games 1 and 2.

This team is structured around the idea of having a dominant Joel Embiid who can impact both ends of the court consistently, similar to players like Jokic or Giannis.

We must acknowledge the reality that he'll likely not be able to reach that level. The current version of Embiid can only be dominant at the start or end of games, or on offense or defense.

If the goal is to win the championship, the can can only pick one aspect or time of Embiid's dominance.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,027

Post#53 » by Negrodamus » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:17 am

Well, KD will probably be available this summer.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#54 » by Mik317 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:11 am

Giannis nor Jokic are responsible for doing everything on both ends. Giannis gets to play roamer on defense thanks to BroPez and has had the most success when he doesn't have to be the whole offense (legit spent years running into walls because Bledsoe was ass ffs). Jokic relies on the bevy of wing defenders to cover and protect the paint while the most he does is kick passes or get deflections to start the break.. and again as gdlk as Jokic is...he got swept without Murray.

its very easy to say "oh they can do it" so there when context is very important. I can say oh well we shouldn't worry about any timelines because LeBron showed you can play until you are 40 now so actually we have 10 years.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,096

Post#55 » by Embiid P » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 am

Negrodamus wrote:Well, KD will probably be available this summer.

Any chance Booker becomes available? Knowing our luck, the moment we trade for KD, Father Time will have caught up with him and he'll be a shell of himself. Booker, on the other hand, is younger and would be the perfect fit next to both Embiid and Maxey.

The Suns' cupboard of assets is pretty much empty at this point, so we'd be able to help them refill it and speed up their rebuilding process.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,096

Post#56 » by Embiid P » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:00 am

FireMorey wrote:People have to realize that whatever team trades for Embiid will be a team that wants one player to put them over the top. The Charlotte Hornets are not trading for Embiid. So any picks you get from that team will be in the 20's in the first round. Which essentially means you are getting trash.

They are not trading Embiid. They are not going to get anything good for him if they did. They ride this ship until it crashes and burns. And if it crashes and burns, yes, it will take a long time to rebuild. But that's the NBA and that's why the NBA sucks. And fans should learn by now that the best way to consume the NBA is to stop watching and paying attention when your team craters until your team at the very least has young players to get excited about and is back on the upward trajectory. That will spare you the misery and monotony of a rebuild. That will always exist because that's just the way the NBA is.

Not that I want to trade Embiid right now, but I'm assuming that those picks wouldn't be for a few years when Embiid and whatever team he's traded to would be past their prime and window of contention which would make those picks better.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,507

Post#57 » by eyeatoma » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:59 am

Reason why we could go for building around younger talent who don't need a max! This is the way.

https://t.co/IHqTxoqRpo
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,984

Post#58 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:46 am

Embiid calling out the fans saying it's disappointing.... after getting absolutely bullied by their guards and failing to score more than one point against their 3rd string big in the 4th quarter.

It gets harder and harder each year to root for this guy.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#59 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:36 am

There is a Suns fan saying this on GB:
"Honesty I don't think Booker will get moved unless it's for an irrationally lobsided offer that the Suns can't say no to (or if Booker asks out). Like if the 76ers contacted the Suns offering Embiid for Booker straight up, ofcourse the Suns wouldn't be dumb enough to say no. The Suns have invested too much in making him the face of the franchise to trade him without getting a superstar in return."

There is a chance people! we can go younger and get better! Booker at least does something in 4th quarters. And he is almost 3 years younger. All in the Embiid for Booker hype train!
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,507

Post#60 » by eyeatoma » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:39 am

ankle420breaker wrote:Embiid calling out the fans saying it's disappointing.... after getting absolutely bullied by their guards and failing to score more than one point against their 3rd string big in the 4th quarter.

It gets harder and harder each year to root for this guy.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

I know it's easy to say when he's not injured, but the dude has a paralysed face, a messed up knee, and was playing the most minutes in his career in the 2nd half. I'd say the bigger issues as usual, is the fact that we haemorrhage points the moment he's off the floor, just like it's always been, never changed. If we didn't, he'd have more gas in the tanks to be efffective at the end of the game, as opposed to sucking wind playing 24 straight minutes.

Read on Twitter

Dude played 44 minutes and he's what 75%? Blame Morey, Nurse, Tobias, Maxey (great this series but terrible in the 4th, I don't blame him though because he's 23), and Buddy fricking Hield.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers