ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#61 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:42 am

Booker, Maxey and Oubre is STACKED, we would just need to find a serviceable frontcourt, even Bamba would probably be more useful than Embiid in 4th quarters though. Besides, unless you have an outlier like Jokic and maybe Wemby, centers are a dinosaur breed in today's NBA, you don't need a very expensive front court, try to find a Brook Lopez clone that's younger and that's it.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,828

Post#62 » by phillynative » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:34 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Embiid calling out the fans saying it's disappointing.... after getting absolutely bullied by their guards and failing to score more than one point against their 3rd string big in the 4th quarter.

It gets harder and harder each year to root for this guy.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

I know it's easy to say when he's not injured, but the dude has a paralysed face, a messed up knee, and was playing the most minutes in his career in the 2nd half. I'd say the bigger issues as usual, is the fact that we haemorrhage points the moment he's off the floor, just like it's always been, never changed. If we didn't, he'd have more gas in the tanks to be efffective at the end of the game, as opposed to sucking wind playing 24 straight minutes.

Read on Twitter

Dude played 44 minutes and he's what 75%? Blame Morey, Nurse, Tobias, Maxey (great this series but terrible in the 4th, I don't blame him though because he's 23), and Buddy fricking Hield.

I blame Morey. But I also don't understand why Nurse couldn't have told him no, that it wasn't a good idea
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#63 » by sixers4real » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:53 pm

If we are going to lose game 5, I want the Sixers to lose as bad as you can imagine. 40-50 point blow out. I want us to consistently fail for Nurse and players to know we suck badly. Because we do.

I won’t watch the game for future purposes.

Names that can be available in the off-season:

Doncic
Giannis
Kawhi
Jimmy Butler
PG
Durant
Siakam
Booker
Middleton
AD

That’s 10 players. Morey’s wish list.

(Beal, Irving and Lillard could be available as well but I want no part of them)

If the Sixers can get one of them while keeping Embiid and Maxey, I’m cool.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,262

Post#64 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:25 pm

I would love AD here. Doesn't solve our need for another creator but he would take a lot of pressure off of Embiid defensively. He also prefers playing PF so I'm sure he'd welcome it.

Would need to get creative finding another initiator on offense with the rest of our cap space/assets.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#65 » by sixers4real » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 pm

Embiid P wrote:1. Let Harris go. Do not bring him back under any circumstances even for the vet minimum.

2. Instead of trying to sign a third star at or near Embiid's age, try to acquire one (preferably closer to Maxey's age) in a trade preferably on draft night when our assets and cap space will be at its max. Preferably a bigger guard and/or a wing. It sucks to have to part with assets but the current free agency market doesn't impress me at all. If necessary, try to find a young soon to be star a la Haliburton a few years back.

3. Fill out the rest of our roster with good fitting role players with our remaining cap space.

4. Re-sign Maxey whose Bird rights will allow us to go over the cap.

2 and 3. Suggesting anyone? I like the logic of getting younger. Can’t find the names.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#66 » by sixers4real » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:43 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Embiid calling out the fans saying it's disappointing.... after getting absolutely bullied by their guards and failing to score more than one point against their 3rd string big in the 4th quarter.

It gets harder and harder each year to root for this guy.

I know it's easy to say when he's not injured, but the dude has a paralysed face, a messed up knee, and was playing the most minutes in his career in the 2nd half. I'd say the bigger issues as usual, is the fact that we haemorrhage points the moment he's off the floor, just like it's always been, never changed. If we didn't, he'd have more gas in the tanks to be efffective at the end of the game, as opposed to sucking wind playing 24 straight minutes.

Read on Twitter

Dude played 44 minutes and he's what 75%? Blame Morey, Nurse, Tobias, Maxey (great this series but terrible in the 4th, I don't blame him though because he's 23), and Buddy fricking Hield.

I have one more offseason faith in Morey. I like Nurse. The best coach that we’ve have in Embiid era to me.

But Tobias. Oh man
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#67 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:58 pm

Last career 76ers game for Tobias tomorrow. At least there's that....

sixers4real
Veteran

Post#68 » by sixers4real » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:02 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Last career 76ers game for Tobias tomorrow. At least there's that....

It’s pretty amazing how we chosed Simmons and Harris over Jimmy. I was having a heated posts with LloydFree about it. Oh my. I miss Jimmy still.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#69 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:19 pm

Mik317 wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:Trade Embiid, been telling you for a couple of years now.

In a couple of years at most he's going to be a shell of his MVP form. He's not going to get healthier in his 30's, it's going to get worse.

I rather trade him now for a PG13 or Gobert like haul and speed up the rebuilding process around Maxey considerably.

I rather do that than watching Embiid drop 35 ppg for 40 games in the meaningless RS, get hurt for the Playoffs, choke in 4th quarters and get eliminated in the 2nd round in the best case scenario. And then start a painful rebuilding in some years.

Who has enough picks to give up said haul and why would they for a guy you think is going to fall off? Gobert trade was stupid and got clowned on, not happening again. People love to point to OKC but why would they give up on any of their core? It is very easy to go "oh we should just trade him for this" when the reality it may not be out there.

the only way you get a "haul" for Biid is if he asks out because otherwise everyone is going to think he must be even more damaged the moment we put him on the market.

OKC only got a haul for PG because he asked for it and LA was in no position to bargin due to Kawhii.

You are all in such a hurry to rebuild asap lol....

Ok, for the guys that don't want to rebuild, Embiid for Booker is on the cards, let's go! Maxey and Booker backcourt is DYNAMIC.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,690

Post#70 » by FireMorey » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:24 pm

I remember saying that day they got rid of Butler, re-signed Harris, and signed Horford was the darkest day in all my years as a Sixers fan. Worse than the 2001 Finals, worse than anything. Because I knew what that meant. Pretty unreal that the 5 years of suffering that followed is finally coming to its merciful end. Gotta say it turned out exactly as I thought it would. And if they didn't luck into Maxey because Muscala hit a miracle shot in the bubble, think of how bad of a situation the Sixers would be in right now.

In hindsight, I don't think my darkest day as a Sixers fan take was hyperbolic in the slightest.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#71 » by sixers4real » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:35 pm

FireMorey wrote:I remember saying that day they got rid of Butler, re-signed Harris, and signed Horford was the darkest day in all my years as a Sixers fan. Worse than the 2001 Finals, worse than anything. Because I knew what that meant. Pretty unreal that the 5 years of suffering that followed is finally coming to its merciful end. Gotta say it turned out exactly as I thought it would. And if they didn't luck into Maxey because Muscala hit a miracle shot in the bubble, think of how bad of a situation the Sixers would be in right now.

In hindsight, I don't think my darkest day as a Sixers fan take was hyperbolic in the slightest.

Yep. I’m with you. Always hated Horford. Always loved Jimmy :(
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 980

Post#72 » by Tony Franciosa » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:40 pm

Durant is a poison pill. No thanks to that path. Beal is a bum. Not sure about Booker, but he doesn't look like a dawg to me... so I'd probably stay way from PHX castoffs.

Jimmy is getting too old, I think, but I'd consider bringing him back if the Heat move on.

George doesn't excite me. But I don't know what the options are otherwise. Morey needs to earn his $$$ this offseason.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#73 » by sixers4real » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:43 pm

Tony Franciosa wrote:Durant is a poison pill. No thanks to that path. Beal is a bum. Not sure about Booker, but he doesn't look like a dawg to me... so I'd probably stay way from PHX castoffs.

Jimmy is getting too old, I think, but I'd consider bringing him back if the Heat move on.

George doesn't excite me. But I don't know what the options are otherwise. Morey needs to earn his $$$ this offseason.

Agreed. The youngsters are taking these league from the old ones. Thank Morey we have Maxey.

But. We need more Maxeys than Embiids if anyone knows what I mean.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,537

Post#74 » by Jailblazers7 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:59 pm

Morey has worked pretty patiently to get our cap reset for this summer over the past few years. This is definitely the moment where he gets to completely design the roster around Maxey/Embiid. No legacy contracts or bad assets, basically a full scale rebuild in one year.

There are lots of teams with stars in turmoil so there will be plenty of opportunity to make a bold move. We’ll see what happens.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#75 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm

Here is what we should do:
-Resign Maxey
-Resign Oubre
-Trade Embiid for Booker
-Sign Jabari Parker for the minimum
-Sign Okafor for the minimum
-Sign Mario Hezonja for the minimum
-Sign Dwight Howard for the minimum

PG: Maxey
SG: Booker
SF: Oubre
PF: Parker
C: Okafor

Our starting lineup could simply SCORE. Then, if you need defense and rebounding, you have Dwight to change the game, Hezonja is instant scoring from the bench.
76Shots
Sophomore
And1: 320

Post#76 » by 76Shots » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:48 pm

I remember the year the Sixers traded for Tobias, one thing that stood out to me how that Clippers team didn't seem to miss a beat after trading a guy who was averaging 21 and 8 in the middle of the season. I like many others knew it was a bad signing before the ink was even dry.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#77 » by SixthStreet » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:31 pm

As Morey has probably planned for more than fans anticipated, it seems there will be the potential for quite a bit of star movement. And given that so much draft capital has been traded and is in the hands of teams that are likely to sit on it (OKC, Utah, Houston) for at least this year, we have a fairly strong hand. Those asset heavy teams only jump in if something crazy happens like Doncic asks out. New Orleans might be the only asset full team that is as all-in as we are and can outbid us.

I am pretty confident Morey is going to find a third banana in trade. Question will be what tier and age of star he will get and what will remain in terms of cap and picks to fill the remainder of the roster.

Morey won't be left holding the bag. There's too much smoke already out there. When he's done we can decide if we want to put him on a stake.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,871

Post#78 » by stormi » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:50 pm

76Shots wrote:I remember the year the Sixers traded for Tobias, one thing that stood out to me how that Clippers team didn't seem to miss a beat after trading a guy who was averaging 21 and 8 in the middle of the season. I like many others knew it was a bad signing before the ink was even dry.

It's not just that they "didn't miss a beat". That Clippers team was meandering around .500 with Harris, and went 17-5 in their next 22 games after shipping him off. :lol:

We in return got this performance in a game 4 (five point loss) where momentum in that series was shifting back in our direction. We won a tight game 2 in Toronto, and ran the Raptors out of the building in game 3, a game stamped by Embiid's airplane celebration after doing a windmill.

With the chance to go up 3-1 and put a foot on the neck of the best team in the NBA and the eventual NBA champions, we got this!

Keep in mind this was a younger and more spry Embiid that took on the defensive task of Siakam (and was locking him down) after Pascal dropped 30 on Tobias in game 1.

He's unequivocally the worst non-MLE pay grade or below basketball player I've ever had the displeasure of watching, and his contract and existence capped the ceiling of Joel Embiid's career. He can't space on volume. He can't guard anyone. He can't finish at the rim with any consistency. He can't create for others. Whatever skillset you think he's providing harbours no utility on a winner.

He's helped depreciate my love for the sport of basketball and I get a really ugly taste in my mouth when I think about where we could have been if Elton / Brett Brown never had the chance to play around with the warchest they were handed on a silver platter, and a prime Joel Embiid who, by his lonesome, was a walking 50 win team.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#79 » by sixers4real » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 pm

stormi wrote:
76Shots wrote:I remember the year the Sixers traded for Tobias, one thing that stood out to me how that Clippers team didn't seem to miss a beat after trading a guy who was averaging 21 and 8 in the middle of the season. I like many others knew it was a bad signing before the ink was even dry.

It's not just that they "didn't miss a beat". That Clippers team was meandering around .500 with Harris, and went 17-5 in their next 22 games after shipping him off. :lol:

We in return got this performance in a game 4 where momentum in that series was shifting back in our direction. We won a tight game 2 in Toronto, and ran the Raptors out of the building in game 3, a game stamped by Embiid's airplane celebration after doing a windmill.

With the chance to go up 3-1 and put a foot on the neck of the best team in the NBA and the eventual NBA champions, we got this!

Keep in mind this was a younger and more spry Embiid that took on the defensive task of Siakam (and was locking him down) after Pascal dropped 30 on Tobias in game 1.

He's unequivocally the worst non-MLE pay grade or below basketball player I've ever had the displeasure of watching, and his contract and existence capped the ceiling of Joel Embiid's career. He can't space on volume. He can't guard anyone. He can't finish at the rim with any consistency. He can't create for others. Whatever skillset you think he's providing harbours no utility on a winner.

He's helped depreciate my love for the sport of basketball and I get a really ugly taste in my mouth when I think about where we could have been if Elton / Brett Brown never had the chance to play around with the warchest they were handed on a silver platter, and a prime Joel Embiid who, by his lonesome, was a walking 50 win team.

I’m so with you on that. Always has been.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,531

Post#80 » by elchengue20 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:15 pm

For a long time i've been counting the months, days, hours and mins to finally get Softbias Harris outta my team.

One of the worst moves ever in the history of this franchise.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers