ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,580

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#701 » by youngcrev » Tue May 7, 2024 1:36 pm

Arsenal wrote:Yeah but Jimmy costs more because you have to burn picks to get him. PG just costs money and is a better fit due to chucking 3’s efficiently.

Factored in, don't care, to a point at least. If it's 2 1sts? I'd take Jimmy. If it's like... Everything we can offer? Ok, I'll take PG.

Also, while PG would fit in better, I don't think he's necessarily the better fit what the team needs to win, if that makes any sense? Jimmy is a better primary ball handler and has a perseverance that the team lacks.

That said, either is an extremely high end outcome.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#702 » by sixers4real » Tue May 7, 2024 1:36 pm

I’d take Jimmy over PG13 any playoff game and any playoff series. We all know it’s only about playoffs for us.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#703 » by sixers4real » Tue May 7, 2024 1:37 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Yeah but Jimmy costs more because you have to burn picks to get him. PG just costs money and is a better fit due to chucking 3’s efficiently.

Factored in, don't care, to a point at least. If it's 2 1sts? I'd take Jimmy. If it's like... Everything we can offer? Ok, I'll take PG.

Also, while PG would fit in better, I don't think he's necessarily the better fit what the team needs to win, if that makes any sense? Jimmy is a better primary ball handler and has a perseverance that the team lacks.

That said, either is an extremely high end outcome.

Yeah, Tobias was supposed to be better fit for Simmons and Embiid compared to Jimmy. LOL.

I don’t trust PG13 come playoff time. At all.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,802

Post#704 » by 76ciology » Tue May 7, 2024 1:38 pm

My requirement for the so-called "third star" is someone who can be an engine of the offense without Embiid and/or can play the two-man game with Maxey. I don't see Paul George as that guy, and that's what's holding me back.

When I watch the Clippers play, it seems like they just run those sets the Knicks did for OG, where he settles for a lot of pull-up jumpers.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#705 » by 76ciology » Tue May 7, 2024 2:05 pm

My concern about Brandon Ingram is that he seems to be just a taller/longer version of Tobias Harris. They are both equally good three-point shooters (both at 1.3/3.7) and Ingram is slightly worse as a rebounder (9 TRB% vs 10 TRB%).

If we're going to end up with Ingram, I would probably prefer a reliable go-to guy like DeRozan at SG, followed by someone like Jalen Smith at the PF position (17-18 TRB%).
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#706 » by Negrodamus » Tue May 7, 2024 2:27 pm

76ciology wrote:My concern about Brandon Ingram is that he seems to be just a taller/longer version of Tobias Harris. They are both equally good three-point shooters (both at 1.3/3.7) and Ingram is slightly worse as a rebounder (9 TRB% vs 10 TRB%).

If we're going to end up with Ingram, I would probably prefer a reliable go-to guy like DeRozan at SG, followed by someone like Jalen Smith at the PF position (17-18 TRB%).

But the difference is obvious, right?

Tobias: .224 FTr, 13.8 AST%
Ingram: .302 FTr, 26.7 AST%

And Ingram's FTr was lower than usual this year. Tobias is an assist converter (bad one at that) while Ingram creates buckets for himself and others. Ingram actually works well with Maxey, who is more of a secondary ballhandler.

That said, is Ingram the best man for the job? No, but if he's the only guy available providing a creator who is capable of scoring then it might be our best bet.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,877

Post#707 » by stormi » Tue May 7, 2024 2:35 pm

76ciology wrote:My concern about Brandon Ingram is that he seems to be just a taller/longer version of Tobias Harris.

You're forcing it.

There are two key separators between Harris and Ingram.

Ingram gets to the line.

31.6% free throw attempt rate since 2020, Tobias has a 19.6% free throw attempt over that same timespan (his first full season in Philadelphia).

Ingram isn't plagued by tunnel vision / has a brain.

25% assist rate since 2020, Tobias Harris has a 14.6% assist rate over that same timespan.

Ingram creates more for himself, can put pressure on defenses going downhill and can leverage that gravity into plays for others at a significantly more impactful rate than Tobias.

I'm indifferent on Brandon Ingram, and he shoots too many midrange jumpers for my liking, but comparing him to Tobias is a death sentence.

He doesn't deserve that level of disrespect.
stormi
General Manager

Post#708 » by stormi » Tue May 7, 2024 2:37 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:My concern about Brandon Ingram is that he seems to be just a taller/longer version of Tobias Harris. They are both equally good three-point shooters (both at 1.3/3.7) and Ingram is slightly worse as a rebounder (9 TRB% vs 10 TRB%).

And Ingram's FTr was lower than usual this year. Tobias is an assist converter (bad one at that) while Ingram creates buckets for himself and others. Ingram actually works well with Maxey, who is more of a secondary ballhandler.

That said, is Ingram the best man for the job? No, but if he's the only guy available providing a creator who is capable of scoring then it might be our best bet.

I was working on my post, hit send and see this lmaoooooooo.

Keyed in on the same differentiators as well.

Tobias is a jarring individual and comparing any contributing basketball player to him is a bridge too far.
stormi
General Manager

Post#709 » by stormi » Tue May 7, 2024 3:02 pm

Looking into Ingram,

He's 26 years old, which is a major plus.

He's shown high level floor spacing on high volume.

8.4 threes per 100 possessions at 39.1% in 19-20
8.6 threes per 100 possessions at 38.1% in 20-21

He's 6'8 with a 7'3 wingspan.

Difficult shot maker, elite playmaker for a wing.

Read on Twitter

Concerns are: durability and he's average at best on defense.

It's a fascinating proposition, I think the fact that he'd be acquirable for much cheaper than Markkanen (or Mikal Bridges, who he's vastly superior to) makes him one of the most attractive options. I also like his fit alongside Embiid and Maxey.

Would have assets/cap leftover to go after a Caruso and an athletic PF as well.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,548

Post#710 » by Jailblazers7 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:24 pm

My major concern with Ingram is injuries & ego. He hasn’t been very durable & I wonder how someone of his talent at 26 would feel about being the 3rd option. Luckily, Maxey is the nicest & most likeable person alive so that would probably help smooth out some wrinkles.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,696

Post#711 » by FireMorey » Tue May 7, 2024 3:27 pm

If Ingram was a free agent I'd be fine going for him. Don't want to trade 3 firsts for him though. I don't think he's a guy who quite pushes you over the top.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#712 » by Negrodamus » Tue May 7, 2024 3:30 pm

My prediction as of where we stand today.

- Trade Paul Reed
- Draft DaRon Holmes and Baylor Scheierman (possibly trade for another second)
- Sign PG13 to a two year deal.
- Bring back Lowry for min
- Sign DeRozan for a discount (compared to what he's expected to go for on the open market) to have one last hurrah at a title with his friends Lowry and PG13
- Sign Oubre to MLE
- Find high effort role players who are ring chasing
- Sign Maxey to his massive contract

I think ownership will be willing to go deep into the red for two years to chase a championship.

Maxey
DeRozan
PG13
Batum (or high effort 3&D role player here)
Embiid

Maxey and DeRozan share ballhandling responsibility. That's three 3-level scorers in Embiid, Maxey, and PG13. DeRozan is obviously more midrange and at the rim. Batum is the three point bomber. If the three career playoff loser amigos (Embiid, PG13, and DeRozan) can't figure out how to get to the Finals with this grouping, then they deserve their place in infamy.
seventy6ers
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#713 » by seventy6ers » Tue May 7, 2024 3:30 pm

FireMorey wrote:If Ingram was a free agent I'd be fine going for him. Don't want to trade 3 firsts for him though. I don't think he's a guy who quite pushes you over the top.

Completely agree! And in that video, he looks so clunky. It's crazy his numbers are that good.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#714 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:56 pm

stormi wrote:Looking into Ingram,

He's 26 years old, which is a major plus.

He's shown high level floor spacing on high volume.

8.4 threes per 100 possessions at 39.1% in 19-20
8.6 threes per 100 possessions at 38.1% in 20-21

He's 6'8 with a 7'3 wingspan.

Difficult shot maker, elite playmaker for a wing.

Read on Twitter

Concerns are: durability and he's average at best on defense.

It's a fascinating proposition, I think the fact that he'd be acquirable for much cheaper than Markkanen (or Mikal Bridges, who he's vastly superior to) makes him one of the most attractive options. I also like his fit alongside Embiid and Maxey.

Would have assets/cap leftover to go after a Caruso and an athletic PF as well.

I think at this point if Ingram isn’t a good enough 3rd option then that you have no faith in Embiid/Maxey. Which I guess is an opinion to have…but I really don’t think anyone is coming to “save” this team.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#715 » by 76ciology » Tue May 7, 2024 4:12 pm

stormi wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I was working on my post, hit send and see this lmaoooooooo.

Keyed in on the same differentiators as well.

Tobias is a jarring individual and comparing any contributing basketball player to him is a bridge too far.

My apologies for overlooking the other aspects.

Yeah, Ingram's .96-.97points per possession (ppp) on ISO, Post and PnR are certainly a plus, and he probably can be the "engine" for the offense during those non-Embiid minutes. He also probably can run some two man game with Maxey.

I think his downside is his durability, as you mentioned, and his rebounding. Defensively, he appears to be pacing himself but can take it to another gear if he wants to.

I’d also love to have Caruso, then Jalen Smith with Ingram.

Maxey
Caruso
Ingram
Jalen Smith
Embiid
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 857

Post#716 » by Ferry Avenue » Tue May 7, 2024 4:38 pm

I'd shy away from any players who play questionable defense. Defense is all about effort and intensity, and if you don't pride yourself on playing good defense, you're not likely to ratchet up your effort and intensity offensively when it's needed either. These playoffs are being won right now by teams whose players ratchet up their games at those times. Maxey did it for example in game 5. I wouldn't count on any player to perform in that manner who doesn't pride himself on playing good defense.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#717 » by sixers4real » Tue May 7, 2024 5:15 pm

C - Embiid
F - FA (3pt and rebounder (Jaden Smith fits for that role)
F - Oubre (MLE)
G - Butler
G - Maxey

That’s my bet of a starting 5 for 2024-25
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#718 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 7, 2024 5:19 pm

I remember watching Jimmy in the bubble and saying "man I hope Simmons is paying attention he can play just like Jimmy but be better!"
Then I recall Jimmy beating up on the Celtics and going to the NBA finals and saying "Damn that guy has no quit in him !"

And I am sure if Jimmy comes back to the 76ers I will be saying "Again with the old stars that are injury prone that can't do anything!"
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,520

Post#719 » by Snotbubbles » Tue May 7, 2024 5:50 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:Rooting for you guys to Max PG13. Save us.

Rather have a maxed PG13 than a maxed Harden.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#720 » by Arsenal » Tue May 7, 2024 7:05 pm

Much rather have PG + 2 1st round picks vs Jimmy. PG is younger, healthier and a better fit.

Burning picks for the privilege of paying Jimmy $50m+ per year won't end well.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers