ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,696

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#521 » by FireMorey » Sun May 5, 2024 7:03 pm

Depends on the price for Oubre. They got him for very cheap coming off a season where he averaged over 20ppg. I suspect he'll get more interest this time around, although I'm not 100% sure why. It's not like he was some secret. No one wanted him a year ago. But maybe teams will see he played well in a team oriented role and was able to handle it. But I wouldn't pay him more than 5m per season. And I wouldn't give Batum more than the minimum. If you have to go higher for either I'd look for someone younger than Batum and someone who is a better shooter than Oubre.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#522 » by sixers hoops » Sun May 5, 2024 7:18 pm

I keep running the different options through my head, and none of them are very good. I guess that’s why I am see this glass half full.

Paul George- Prob needs to be overwhelmed to leave LA. Overwhelmed would be the max 4, $212. He prob isn’t enough of a difference maker to put us at the level of Boston, Denver, and now Minn, OKC, and maybe even Dallas. And if he is, it may not be for long, and that contract really inhibits your ability to build a strong rotation around him. We would need a lot from him because he is an expensive addition.

Markkanen- Five firsts is crazy to me, and I bet that’s what it takes. We will be capped out with minimal picks for years, so you have to hope that Markkenan is a star, and not just a really high-end stretch four. You have no picks to trade, and minimal picks to add young talent. You are locked into this roster. However, this prob leaves you with a better roster than some of the other options, as you still can add significant players around the core.

Mikal- reports of the Rockets rebuffed offer tells me that you need at least four firsts to get the Nets attention. He has a great contract for two years and would be a good fit, but is his ceiling high enough to go all-in as our third best player? Extremely risky.

Ingram- Again we will need multiple picks to get him, and he might not be the difference maker we need.

It just seems like the market is at a point where a borderline all-star under 30 automatically gets 4+ first rounders. The Sixers don’t have the time or picks to actually draft and develop players to complement Embiid and Maxey, so they are really working from a position of desperation.

Unless they can find an undervalued budding star in free agency or trade, they are about to massively overpay for somebody via cap space or draft picks.

I love that Morey created some optionality with cap space and picks, but it seems like a lot of pretty bad options.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,076

Post#523 » by Sixerscan » Sun May 5, 2024 7:28 pm

sixers hoops wrote:I keep running the different options through my head, and none of them are very good. I guess that’s why I am see this glass half full.

Paul George- Prob needs to be overwhelmed to leave LA. Overwhelmed would be the max 4, $212. He prob isn’t enough of a difference maker to put us at the level of Boston, Denver, and now Minn, OKC, and maybe even Dallas. And if he is, it may not be for long, and that contract really inhibits your ability to build a strong rotation around him. We would need a lot from him because he is an expensive addition.

Markkanen- Five firsts is crazy to me, and I bet that’s what it takes. We will be capped out with minimal picks for years, so you have to hope that Markkenan is a star, and not just a really high-end stretch four. You have no picks to trade, and minimal picks to add young talent. You are locked into this roster. However, this prob leaves you with a better roster than some of the other options, as you still can add significant players around the core.

Mikal- reports of the Rockets rebuffed offer tells me that you need at least four firsts to get the Nets attention. He has a great contract for two years and would be a good fit, but is his ceiling high enough to go all-in as our third best player? Extremely risky.

Ingram- Again we will need multiple picks to get him, and he might not be the difference maker we need.

It just seems like the market is at a point where a borderline all-star under 30 automatically gets 4+ first rounders. The Sixers don’t have the time or picks to actually draft and develop players to complement Embiid and Maxey, so they are really working from a position of desperation.

Unless they can find an undervalued budding star in free agency or trade, they are about to massively overpay for somebody via cap space or draft picks.

I love that Morey created some optionality with cap space and picks, but it seems like a lot of pretty bad options.

Yeah i doubt there’s any one move that is going to be met with universal praise where we’re looked at as instant favorites. Look at how Boston remade their team around Brown and Tatum after that year they went .500 and quickly knocked out. They got Horford who everyone thought was washed and found a diamond in the rough with White. This offseason they got Porzingis for pretty cheap for both play and injury reasons. Even Jrue was only available because he got completely destroyed by Jimmy in the playoffs last year and the Bucks (Giannis) thought that group had peaked together.

The Sixers are gonna have to pick from a bunch of imperfect options and they’re going to have to nail them. It’s a tough situation, it’s interesting at least.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#524 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 7:33 pm

If no appealing options present themselves, we should just fill up the cap with the best value role players we can get with our $65m. Then once they become tradable in Jan consider trading for a disgruntled star, at which point the price will probably be cheaper in terms of picks. They key is not to make desperation moves to get everything done this summer.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#525 » by PhillyFan11 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:56 pm

FireMorey wrote:Depends on the price for Oubre. They got him for very cheap coming off a season where he averaged over 20ppg. I suspect he'll get more interest this time around, although I'm not 100% sure why. It's not like he was some secret. No one wanted him a year ago. But maybe teams will see he played well in a team oriented role and was able to handle it. But I wouldn't pay him more than 5m per season. And I wouldn't give Batum more than the minimum. If you have to go higher for either I'd look for someone younger than Batum and someone who is a better shooter than Oubre.

I think the exception is perfect for Oubre. If another team wants to pay him more than 2 years $8M then you wish him good luck. In a perfect world Oubre is our 6th, maybe even 7th, man off the bench. I think his skill set is much better suited to be a 20 min a night spark scorer than full time starter.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#526 » by sixers hoops » Sun May 5, 2024 8:04 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:
FireMorey wrote:Depends on the price for Oubre. They got him for very cheap coming off a season where he averaged over 20ppg. I suspect he'll get more interest this time around, although I'm not 100% sure why. It's not like he was some secret. No one wanted him a year ago. But maybe teams will see he played well in a team oriented role and was able to handle it. But I wouldn't pay him more than 5m per season. And I wouldn't give Batum more than the minimum. If you have to go higher for either I'd look for someone younger than Batum and someone who is a better shooter than Oubre.

I think the exception is perfect for Oubre. If another team wants to pay him more than 2 years $8M then you wish him good luck. In a perfect world Oubre is our 6th, maybe even 7th, man off the bench. I think his skill set is much better suited to be a 20 min a night spark scorer than full time starter.

I really like Oubre, but I agree, his shooting doesn’t make him a great starter alongside Maxey and Embiid. A good rotation piece, but not ideal guy to commit major resources to. I think he can play with the starters, as he was far from the problem against the Knicks, but first you have to see who else is going to be out there, and does he complement the group.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,123

Post#527 » by mjkvol » Sun May 5, 2024 8:11 pm

Arsenal wrote:If no appealing options present themselves, we should just fill up the cap with the best value role players we can get with our $65m. Then once they become tradable in Jan consider trading for a disgruntled star, at which point the price will probably be cheaper in terms of picks. They key is not to make desperation moves to get everything done this summer.

This exactly. I don't buy the "limited options" claims being made, because we don't know all the options that very well may present themselves. If the only options are those 3-4 being discussed, then I agree 100% that we should fill the roster with tradeable players and strike at the deadline. Desperation always leads to bad results, and we have no reason to be desperate.

I also don't buy this "short window" stuff. We have a star who is 23 yrs. old and will hopefully be spending his career here. The world doesn't end with Embiid's prime, which everyone seems to be sure is falling off the cliff in two years. It's not do or die in 2024 like everyone seems to believe - there's no reason to not build this thing to last well beyond the next couple of years.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#528 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 5, 2024 8:20 pm

I think it's reasonable that Morey is prioritizing George, assuming the rumors are true.

LeBron, Siakam, and Anunoby are likely staying with their current teams.

Ainge will want everything for Lauri.

Mitchell may or may not become available. If he does, it might be an all-summer bidding war, which would give Morey no time to shape the roster.

Ingram may be attainable on draft night but would likely involve a 3rd team. I think his fit and character on this team are questionable though.

Butler is in the same category as George (age, injury history), except he'd require picks to acquire and is a worse shooter. Big pros are his relationship with Joel and success against Boston.

Thankfully we're about 2 months away from having an idea of what's what for next season.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,696

Post#529 » by FireMorey » Sun May 5, 2024 9:56 pm

Read on Twitter
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#530 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 10:03 pm

If we trade for Butler we better not give up much. Miami got him for Josh freaking Richardson and 5 years later when he's paid $50m/year we shouldn't pay any more than that in trade.

I'm talking something like Tobias S&T + Paul Reed and that's it. Burning tons of assets for the privilege to pay Butler $50m+/yr is the final nail in our coffin.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,098

Post#531 » by Embiid P » Sun May 5, 2024 10:10 pm

Question for the capologists on this board: so I get that we have Maxey's Bird rights and we can go over the cap if need be to re-sign him, but does re-signing him BEFORE we sign any free agents from other teams (i.e. George) affect our cap space vs. waiting until AFTER we sign outside free agents to re-sign Maxey?
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#532 » by ZarcMumoff » Sun May 5, 2024 10:14 pm

sixers hoops wrote:Also, “any deal would be via bird rights” is incorrect, and likely not the course they are taking. They are likely going to renounce Melton to clear as much cap as possible. If he comes back, it would be if we have any left over cap space or the room exception. Morey isnt going to commit to Melton until he has exhausted options with his primary targets.

sixers hoops wrote:Signing Melton to a $10 million dollar deal brings our cap space to about $50 million, which I don’t think they would have any interest in doing. They can figure out the rotational guys later. They need to add a core piece or two before they address rotational guys like Oubre and Melton.

I would be surprised if Melton returns if they renounce his rights. If they renounce it, it's because his back is in a really bad place and they don't want to risk it or they have someone us lined up in free agency/trade. Would be poor planning to renounce it to have to circle back to him.

I guess my question would be...if the plan is PG13, and he's going to take up $49.4M, what is the plan in FA beyond that? They'd have like $12 million to work with, and if they can feel optimistic about Melton's back, he might be their best option. It's an incredibly underwhelming FA class.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#533 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 10:18 pm

Embiid P wrote:Question for the capologists on this board: so I get that we have Maxey's Bird rights and we can go over the cap if need be to re-sign him, but does re-signing him BEFORE we sign any free agents from other teams (i.e. George) affect our cap space vs. waiting until AFTER we sign outside free agents to re-sign Maxey?

Yes it does. Under no circumstances will Maxey be re-signed before we use up ALL of the cap room. Maxey gets re-signed to the MAX after all other business is completed.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,098

Post#534 » by Embiid P » Sun May 5, 2024 10:23 pm

Arsenal wrote:
Embiid P wrote:Question for the capologists on this board: so I get that we have Maxey's Bird rights and we can go over the cap if need be to re-sign him, but does re-signing him BEFORE we sign any free agents from other teams (i.e. George) affect our cap space vs. waiting until AFTER we sign outside free agents to re-sign Maxey?

Yes it does. Under no circumstances will Maxey be re-signed before we use up ALL of the cap room. Maxey gets re-signed to the MAX after all other business is completed.

Gotcha. So I guess that prevents Morey from kicking the can down the road in the event that he strikes out on his main targets in the summer. The last thing we want is an unhappy Maxey suddenly bolting us for another team.
MoeGreene
Junior
And1: 137

Post#535 » by MoeGreene » Sun May 5, 2024 10:29 pm

Does Butler like the situation enough as to take a team friendly contract? Like 12m/year?

Arsenal wrote:If we trade for Butler we better not give up much. Miami got him for Josh freaking Richardson and 5 years later when he's paid $50m/year we shouldn't pay any more than that in trade.

I'm talking something like Tobias S&T + Paul Reed and that's it. Burning tons of assets for the privilege to pay Butler $50m+/yr is the final nail in our coffin.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,076

Post#536 » by Sixerscan » Sun May 5, 2024 10:40 pm

Arsenal wrote:

Yep.

Though there’s the 5 day window where contracts can be agreed to but not signed, and most major NBA business happens in that window, so practically it should more just be the Sixers submitting everything in the right order to the league than any actual delay.

Theyll probably announce Maxey’s deal shortly after free agency begins even if they don’t have the other moves yet.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#537 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 10:46 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Yep.

Though there’s the 5 day window where contracts can be agreed to but not signed, and most major NBA business happens in that window, so practically it should more just be the Sixers submitting everything in the right order to the league than any actual delay.

Theyll probably announce Maxey’s deal shortly after free agency begins even if they don’t have the other moves yet.

Yeah they can announce it right away. However, they'll wait until all other deals are done before submitting it as you mentioned.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#538 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 10:47 pm

MoeGreene wrote:Does Butler like the situation enough as to take a team friendly contract? Like 12m/year?

Arsenal wrote:If we trade for Butler we better not give up much. Miami got him for Josh freaking Richardson and 5 years later when he's paid $50m/year we shouldn't pay any more than that in trade.

In case this is a serious question the answer is no. Butler wants the MAX AND he wants a third guaranteed year.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#539 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 10:48 pm

Embiid P wrote:
Arsenal wrote:

Gotcha. So I guess that prevents Morey from kicking the can down the road in the event that he strikes out on his main targets in the summer. The last thing we want is an unhappy Maxey suddenly bolting us for another team.

Right. The only way to "kick the can" is to fill up the cap with role players. Then we can trade them a few months later along with picks for upgrades. But one way or another we MUST use the cap room this summer.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#540 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 5, 2024 11:28 pm

Yea we’d have Butler on a max for 3 seasons if we went that route. He can’t cost more than two 1sts at this juncture of his career, especially if Miami gets to take no salary back.

1. Trade #16 and OKC 1st for Butler
2. Sign Hield and sign/absorb a stretch 4 with remaining cap space
3. Sign Oubre with room exception
4. Sign Lowry, Batum, and Drummond to vet mins

Maxey/Lowry
Hield/Council
Butler/Oubre
(FA)/Batum
Embiid/Drummond

I mean it’s aight.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin