ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,554

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#361 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 9:53 am

MVP1992 wrote:If you brought in LeBron, what tampering success could he achieve behind the scenes to stack the roster with role players?
His friends suck. We've seen it for years.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Iscull
Senior
And1: 134

Post#362 » by Iscull » Sat May 4, 2024 1:04 pm

Sign and trade the tank commander Harris plus picks to the Jazz for Maurkannen would be one of my favorite trades
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,922

Post#363 » by Wilfried » Sat May 4, 2024 1:09 pm

Iscull wrote:Sign and trade the tank commander Harris plus picks to the Jazz for Maurkannen would be one of my favorite trades

Why would Ainge take Harris? He can get a better player. It's probably Reed + fillers + picks you should offer
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,922

Post#364 » by Wilfried » Sat May 4, 2024 1:12 pm

Retain Kelly (MLE)

Sign Klay Thompson (3 years, front loaded) - Derick Jones Jr - André Drummond (VET) - Lowry (VET) - Batum (VET)

Give everything from picks + Reed for Markannen

Maxey/Lowry
Klay/Council
Oubre/Jones Jr
Markannen/Batum
Embiid/Drummond
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,101

Post#365 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 1:30 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
I'm skeptical that they've got the assets to acquire Bridges or Lauri, if they even end up on the market.

You'd rather have Dejounte Murray than Paul George? I wouldn't even if you factor in the out the assets necessary to acquire him.

You'd still have flexibility to add one or two of your listed elite assets. You'd take an upgraded 7th and 8th man over extreme as your 3rd guy?

Shams reported that the Rockets offered Green and multiple firsts to the Nets for Bridges. They could give Brooklyn their 24 and 26 firsts back, and relinquish the swap options in 25 and 27. Also they could send their own picks in 28 and 30. It looks like the price for Mikal would be very high, and rockets have better picks to offer.

I really don’t want Dejounte.

I imagine the price for Lauri will be all of our picks. I think Ainge will want four or five firsts, or he will send him elsewhere. I don’t see a trade happening there, although certainly possible.

Lauri is the perfect fit. 4 or 5 picks is worth it. We'll still have capspace to fill out the roster.

If Ainge gouged us for:
2024 PHL first
2026 OKC/Hou/ first
2026 LAC first
2029 PHL first
2031 PHL first

I’m extremely confident we can get him, but it seems like a horrible deal. We already traded our 2025 and 2027 first. And after this draft, we don’t have a second rounder until 2029, I believe. We are essentially Phoenix East, which is not good. And they bankrupted their team for Kevin Durant. We are doing it for Lauri Markkanen.

However, I could see a scenario where we can build a championship team since Lauri makes 1/3 of what Butler or George would cost. If Mikal could be had for our 2024 first and the two picks we got in the Harden deal, I would prob do that. Then we are only short two future firsts.

I believe Melton has serious medical concerns so I wouldn’t put any real money his way. Oubre is a really good player, but not somebody you want to lock in with a high annual value. His mistakes and inconsistency are fine at $12 million, but sickening if he is making over $25 million.

Ultimately, if we dished out a bunch of picks for Lauri or Mikal, I would want to know that we have another impact starter lined up with the cap space, or otherwise we are going all in with Embiid, Maxey, and Lauri/Mikal, which isn’t good enough, in my opinion.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,571

Post#366 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 1:33 pm

eyeatoma wrote:End of the game and the Clippers are out...

Paul George's line. 6 for 18, 33.3FG, 2 for 10 from 3, 20%, 11 rebs, 5 assists, 2 stocks, 18 points, -19

Good lord, please don't get him. This team is toast if we blow our wad on him.

Yay he shoots threes and boards. Don't tell me that's why we're getting him. You can get the same thing with Trey Murphy for not even a quarter of the cost.

Except you can't get Trey Murphy. He's not available. And he won't be getting paid a quarter of what Paul George gets when he signs his next deal.

PG wouldn't be coming here to be the alpha dog. He's a star impact player with a game that fits like a glove as the third piece with Maxey/Embiid. When they are on the floor he provides secondary creation, elite volume shooting with ability to attack a closeout, all while being able to defend the opposing team's best player. When they are off he has the ability to scale up usage and carry an offense for stretches.

I get him not being the preferred target due to age/injury, which are obvious concerns. I don't get being staunchly against it, particularly in favor of spreading that money between a few 5th-7th men level players.

We're bugging because he's had bad shooting games as the top guy in the playoffs? Tyrese just had the same shooting line in game 6. Are Bruce Brown and Jonas Valanciunas carrying the offense when Embiid and Maxey are off the floor?
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#367 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 1:35 pm

Wilfried wrote:
Iscull wrote:Sign and trade the tank commander Harris plus picks to the Jazz for Maurkannen would be one of my favorite trades

Why would Ainge take Harris? He can get a better player. It's probably Reed + fillers + picks you should offer

Why would he want Reed? He only signed him to that contract because his team wasn’t going to meet the conditions to get stuck with Reed all three years. He would prob prefer we just take Lauri into cap space, which we should be able to do after knocking off some dead weight. If he wants Reed, he can certainly have him, but Reed with two guaranteed years is likely a negative asset at this point.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#368 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 1:45 pm

Wilfried wrote:Retain Kelly (MLE)

Sign Klay Thompson (3 years, front loaded) - Derick Jones Jr - André Drummond (VET) - Lowry (VET) - Batum (VET)

Give everything from picks + Reed for Markannen

Maxey/Lowry
Klay/Council
Oubre/Jones Jr
Markannen/Batum
Embiid/Drummond

I'd do this, Klay is still very good.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#369 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 1:46 pm

youngcrev wrote:

Paul George's line. 6 for 18, 33.3FG, 2 for 10 from 3, 20%, 11 rebs, 5 assists, 2 stocks, 18 points, -19

Yay he shoots threes and boards. Don't tell me that's why we're getting him. You can get the same thing with Trey Murphy for not even a quarter of the cost.

Except you can't get Trey Murphy. He's not available. And he won't be getting paid a quarter of what Paul George gets when he signs his next deal.

PG wouldn't be coming here to be the alpha dog. He's a star impact player with a game that fits like a glove as the third piece with Maxey/Embiid. When they are on the floor he provides secondary creation, elite volume shooting with ability to attack a closeout, all while being able to defend the opposing team's best player. When they are off he has the ability to scale up usage and carry an offense for stretches.

I get him not being the preferred target due to age/injury, which are obvious concerns. I don't get being staunchly against it, particularly in favor of spreading that money between a few 5th-7th men level players.

We're bugging because he's had bad shooting games as the top guy in the playoffs? Tyrese just had the same shooting line in game 6. Are Bruce Brown and Jonas Valanciunas carrying the offense when Embiid and Maxey are off the floor?

He was not good this series. Look at his averages. He was also terrible in a close out game.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,114

Post#370 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 1:57 pm

youngcrev wrote:

You're framing your argument with the idea that it's either George or a collection of role players who we know are available at this moment. Given those parameters, the idea of signing him might seem a lot more attractive, but the game doesn't begin in earnest for another couple of months, and might extend to next season's deadline.

Instead of shooting your wad right out of the gate by buying high on a fading stock, it might be a whole lot smarter to wait for opportunities as teams look to shed payroll, which is certainly going to happen with the new cap rules in effect. At the same time, look for undervalued players needing a fresh start and begin to fill the roster with role players who fit needs here.

The 'big fish' difference maker might not become available immediately, but keeping his powder dry is likely to be the smartest thing Morey can do in rebuilding this roster.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,796

Post#371 » by 76ciology » Sat May 4, 2024 1:59 pm

Extend embiid for a 3 year 193.5M extension on July 18th? How old will he by then?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#372 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 2:19 pm

youngcrev wrote:

I think he will be a great addition for a third option, but I hate offering 4 years, $212 million for it. It seems akin to buying a first class suite on the titanic.

Of most of the realistic options, I might rather part with picks to go another direction.

Mikal would very likely cost four firsts, as Brooklyn easy shot down less from Houston. However, he would come with two years at $23 and $25 million.

Lauri would almost certainly cost five firsts, and he comes at one year, $18 million.

Ingram comes at one year, $36 million. I assume a couple of picks to get him. I really haven’t heard much regarding his price.

Jimmy Butler would require picks and we would have to agree to extend his contract into a 3 year, $161.7 million deal. Even without giving up assets in a trade, he is 35 and often injured, so I can’t be in on Butler.

Siakim and OG had teams invest in trading for them. I’m sure they will get the most lucrative offers from those teams and won’t be available to us.

Ultimately, Fultz, Simmons, and Tobias drained this team of so many resources, and our returns on first round picks like Melton, Thybulle, and Springer leave us short on in-house talent. With Harden, we broke even on picks and we’re able to dump Simmons. Ultimately, this team has put itself in a position where they will likely have to overpay to put a team around Embiid and Maxey.

Do you overpay on the contract? Or make a bad trade to get a guy in a good deal and utilize cap space to build?

If we went with Mikal or Lauri, we are giving 4 or 5 firsts to essentially buy $40 million in cap space to build around them. With George or Ingram, you are using most of your cap space, but still have your picks. I would need to see what the cap space actually turns into. Oubre, Hield, Batum, and Lowry I would like to keep around, but would there be a more significant starter added to the mix?

George on a two year deal would be much better to reduce risk, but prob not realistic.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#373 » by zaz102 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:20 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Shams reported that the Rockets offered Green and multiple firsts to the Nets for Bridges. They could give Brooklyn their 24 and 26 firsts back, and relinquish the swap options in 25 and 27. Also they could send their own picks in 28 and 30. It looks like the price for Mikal would be very high, and rockets have better picks to offer.

I really don’t want Dejounte.

I imagine the price for Lauri will be all of our picks. I think Ainge will want four or five firsts, or he will send him elsewhere. I don’t see a trade happening there, although certainly possible.

Lauri is the perfect fit. 4 or 5 picks is worth it. We'll still have capspace to fill out the roster.

If Ainge gouged us for:
2024 PHL first
2026 OKC/Hou/ first
2026 LAC first
2029 PHL first
2031 PHL first

I’m extremely confident we can get him, but it seems like a horrible deal. We already traded our 2025 and 2027 first. And after this draft, we don’t have a second rounder until 2029, I believe. We are essentially Phoenix East, which is not good. And they bankrupted their team for Kevin Durant. We are doing it for Lauri Markkanen.

However, I could see a scenario where we can build a championship team since Lauri makes 1/3 of what Butler or George would cost. If Mikal could be had for our 2024 first and the two picks we got in the Harden deal, I would prob do that. Then we are only short two future firsts.

I believe Melton has serious medical concerns so I wouldn’t put any real money his way. Oubre is a really good player, but not somebody you want to lock in with a high annual value. His mistakes and inconsistency are fine at $12 million, but sickening if he is making over $25 million.

Ultimately, if we dished out a bunch of picks for Lauri or Mikal, I would want to know that we have another impact starter lined up with the cap space, or otherwise we are going all in with Embiid, Maxey, and Lauri/Mikal, which isn’t good enough, in my opinion.
I think overpaying in a trade for Markkanen is one of their best options. You get an all star that fits the team and still have about $50M (including MLE) to spend on the playoff rotation. To me it's better than the other realistic options I can think of.

1) Sign PG13 and have about $25M (including MLE) to spend on the playoff rotation. You still have assets for a trade, but probably going to be tough to make a decent trade. Would have to trade the player(s) your spending your $25M on and probably would leave you with 4 very good/great players and the rest vets.

2) Trade for a higher paid disgruntled star (e.g. Butler) and have about $25M like in scenario 1 but with without the assets to make any trades.

3) Sign FAs and try not to severely overpay for guys (especially the ones you want to spend the most on). You'd have about $70M to spend on FAs. And try to retain the assets to make that trade later (essentially kick the can down the road).

#3 is probably the next best option for me, but it'll be hard to to win bidding for the top players without overpaying a ton and probably not as competitive as the other options until you make the big trade.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#374 » by stormi » Sat May 4, 2024 2:53 pm

For the Embiid + Maxey + depth crowd, I'd be looking to take advantage of bad FO's that have undervalued young roleplayers that could thrive in advanced situations (White in SA, Gordon in ORL)

Deni Avdija in Washington: plus defender, 6'9, 37% from 3, plus rebounder, 23 years old
Pat Williams in Chicago: plus wing defender, 6'8 (7' wingspan), 39.9% from 3, secondary rim protection, elite athlete, 22 years old
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,694

Post#375 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 3:11 pm

I don't think Markkanen is a guy you give everything up for. He's not Luka Doncic. Giving up 5 firsts for him would be pretty crazy. I think Klay is pretty washed up too. Unfortunately, not a ton of great options. Of course the summer the Sixers have cap space is a weak free agent class with not a ton of stars available.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#376 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 3:12 pm

stormi wrote:For the Embiid + Maxey + depth crowd, I'd be looking to take advantage of bad FO's that have undervalued young roleplayers that could thrive in advanced situations (White in SA, Gordon in ORL)

Deni Avdija in Washington: plus defender, 6'9, 37% from 3, plus rebounder, 23 years old
Pat Williams in Chicago: plus wing defender, 6'8 (7' wingspan), 39.9% from 3, secondary rim protection, elite athlete, 22 years old

Deni has been really good in Washington, do you think we can get him?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#377 » by Arsenal » Sat May 4, 2024 3:15 pm

We’d have to give up a ton for Avdija. They aren’t handing him over for cheap.

I also think Bulls match anything reasonable for Williams.

Both guys would require lots of picks in trade.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#378 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 3:29 pm

FireMorey wrote:I don't think Markkanen is a guy you give everything up for. He's not Luka Doncic. Giving up 5 firsts for him would be pretty crazy. I think Klay is pretty washed up too. Unfortunately, not a ton of great options. Of course the summer the Sixers have cap space is a weak free agent class with not a ton of stars available.

I hold onto first rounders pretty tight, so trading 4 or 5 picks for guys who aren’t superstars seems crazy. At the same time, there are no superstars right now. The prime Kawhi and prime George trades aren’t out there right now. Ideally, an Anthony Edwards, Shai, Giannis, Doncic no-brainer trade would be the return for five firsts, but in reality, your entire draft board doesn’t get you a top 15 player in this market. It gets you more of a borderline all-star type of guy. Not an easy decision for Morey. He is going to have to overpay in free agency or trade, if he doesn’t want to punt another season.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,694

Post#379 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 3:33 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I don't think Markkanen is a guy you give everything up for. He's not Luka Doncic. Giving up 5 firsts for him would be pretty crazy. I think Klay is pretty washed up too. Unfortunately, not a ton of great options. Of course the summer the Sixers have cap space is a weak free agent class with not a ton of stars available.

I hold onto first rounders pretty tight, so trading 4 or 5 picks for guys who aren’t superstars seems crazy. At the same time, there are no superstars right now. The prime Kawhi and prime George trades aren’t out there right now. Ideally, an Anthony Edwards, Shai, Giannis, Doncic no-brainer trade would be the return for five firsts, but in reality, your entire draft board doesn’t get you a top 15 player in this market. It gets you more of a borderline all-star type of guy. Not an easy decision for Morey. He is going to have to overpay in free agency or trade, if he doesn’t want to punt another season.

Yes, that is the dilemma. Do you overpay out of desperation to try to win in a limited window? Or do you refuse to overpay out of principle and hope one of those stars does become available? Don't think they have many more seasons to punt on though. Probably why he wants Paul George. Doesn't have to give up any picks for him. I'd rather go the fill out your roster with really good role player route than signing PG though. Hell, I don't even know if Siakam would cost the full max. He might, but he'd make less than PG. Signing a guy like him instead would save you some money to add other players.
Da Doctor
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,475

Post#380 » by Da Doctor » Sat May 4, 2024 3:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Philadelphia 76ers: 1955, 1967, 1983
Philadelphia Eagles: 1948, 1949, 1960, 2017
Philadelphia Phillies: 1980, 2008
Philadelphia Flyers: 1974, 1975
Philadelphia Union: SOON

Return to Philadelphia 76ers