** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

davesilver
Junior
And1: 206

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#661 » by davesilver » Mon May 6, 2024 9:42 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:
youngcrev wrote:I'll be extremely excited if they manage to get Jimmy back here. I don't think it's that tough to build a roster those 3. Probably just look to keep Melton, Oubre and Batum, honestly. Lowry stays on a minimum. Find the best backup 5 you can get to come for a minimum. And that's your playoff 8.

So you’re looking at:

Maxey/Lowry
Melton/Hield?
Butler/Oubre
Batum/Reed?
Embiid/Drummond

Not bad.

Ah **** I'm converted. We might have 3 of the best 4 players against Boston.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,580

Post#662 » by youngcrev » Mon May 6, 2024 9:52 pm

Just watching the presser now.

"Someone on the wing that can play and deliver at a high level in the playoffs"

Mentioned "trade into our cap space" before signing someone.

Oh yeah, that's absolutely Jimmy.

Also mentioned the idea of liking the challenge of finding undervalued assets to build a rotation, so I definitely think 3rd star is the preference (as if we didn't already know that).
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#663 » by ZarcMumoff » Mon May 6, 2024 10:09 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
ZarcMumoff wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:They don’t need to renounce him because his back is hurt or because they planned poorly, they would renounce his rights because they don’t need them to eventually re-sign him.

Just because they can sign him using cap space doesn't mean that is the right move.

sixers hoops wrote:He is going to get paid less than his cap hold.

I know, I said this in my OP.

sixers hoops wrote:However, they are going to renounce him, sign the big free agent

They can sign the big free agent without renouncing him. The largest FA contract is PG13 at $49.4 million. They can get to that number without renouncing Melton, and instead signing him to a new contract via Bird Rights to something less than his cap hold (like we both agree will be the case). Embiid+Maxey+Oubre+Council+16+Melton at $10M would be $51.5M in cap space.

sixers hoops wrote:then they can pursue free-agents with the remaining $12 million or so. If they are okay with his back, Melton will likely be one of the players they target. And they wouldn’t be “circling back” to him. They would just be pursuing him without his rights, since they are operating with cap space.

Why renounce him, open up $12 million in space, to then try to pursue him? There should be a specific *reason* to have that extra $12 million because Melton isn't limiting the big move if he signs for ~$10 million or less.

I already explained this. His cap hold is $17 million. They will renounce him to clear $17 million in cap space. There is zero reason to not renounce him. You are the only person who believes they should hold onto to his rights even though it makes no sense. It is a simple procedural motion that teams under the cap commonly make when a player’s cap hold is more than their likely market value. They are not going to rush a decision on Melton until free agency plays out, and they are not going to delay the signing of a priority free agents by foolishly holding onto Melton’s rights because you don’t understand that they hold no value to the process.

The Sixers likely have a lot of players ahead of Melton on their priority list due to his back issues, subsequently, signing Melton may not be a decision they are ready to make for a few weeks as they allow the market to play out. Therefore, they are not going to carry a more expensive cap hold for no reason. They are not signing him with cap space because they believe it is the right move. They simply understand math and realize the cap hold doesn’t benefit them. It’s actually not very complicated.

His cap hold isn't $17 million, it's $15.2 million. Word to wise: if you are going to be condescending about something, make sure it is correct.

"they are not going to delay the signing of a priority free agents by foolishly holding onto Melton’s rights"

I don't believe you are even reading what I'm saying if this is still your point when it is the COMPLETE opposite of what I've been saying. Like you are arguing something completely separate from my original posts. Reading and comprehension aren't very complicated, actually, so perhaps you are being obtuse on purpose.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,128

Post#664 » by mjkvol » Mon May 6, 2024 10:23 pm

Arsenal wrote:
76ciology wrote:
the Sixers signed George to a max contract, he’d combine with Embiid and Maxey’s cap hold to take up nearly $113.8 million. Add in nine incomplete roster charges ($1.16 million each), and the Sixers would have less than $16.8 million left in cap space, along with the $8.0 million room-level exception. That’d still be enough to add another piece or two, but again, creating that much space would require getting rid of everyone who isn’t willing to return on a minimum-salary contract.

Let’s say Oubre is willing to return for the room MLE, as ESPN’s Bobby Marks recently speculated. (Perhaps it’d be part of the Bobby Portis Plan for him.) That would leave the Sixers with Embiid, Maxey, George, Oubre and less than $17 million in cap space. From there, it boils down to how many players from this past year’s roster are willing to return on minimum contracts. The Sixers can sign players to min deals even if they’re over the cap, so from an order-of-operations standpoint, they’d push that off until they spend the rest of their cap space first.

If Batum, Payne and Lowry were willing to come back on min deals, the Sixers would then have a decent seven-man core. They could keep RC4 for $1.9 million as well, and they’d still have $16.0 million in cap space. (Keeping him would remove one incomplete roster charge from their books.) If they spent that remaining cap space on an impact player or two—Caleb Martin, perhaps?—and nailed the rest of their minimum signings, they could find themselves on the short list of championship favorites heading into next season.

I'm ok with this plan considering the alternatives. I think we can get 2 rotation players with the remaining $16m of cap. Perhaps Buddy Hield and Batum who I don't think comes back for vet min. Then get Drummond and Dario for vet min. Then we also have our 1st and 2nd rounder to fill out the rotation.

PG Maxey | Payne | Lowry
SG HIeld | Council | 2nd
SF George | Oubre | 1st
PF Batum | Saric | ??
CE Embiid | Drummond | ??

Even better if Melton comes back on a vet min. That may be his best option considering it preserves his Bird Rights, so if he has a healthy season we can pay him MLE money or even more. If he goes elsewhere for a small increase over the vet min, his Bird Rights are lost.

And if RoCo can get healthy, getting him back for vet min helps with the depth.

Now you're still got all your draft picks to make trades for upgrades at the deadline for guys like Caruso, Brodgon, etc.

If it all worked out like this, I could buy into the George scenario.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Da Doctor
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,475

Post#665 » by Da Doctor » Mon May 6, 2024 11:07 pm

Having all the cap in a bad free agency year reminds me when they had all the cap during the Elton Brand/Josh Smith FA year
Philadelphia 76ers: 1955, 1967, 1983
Philadelphia Eagles: 1948, 1949, 1960, 2017
Philadelphia Phillies: 1980, 2008
Philadelphia Flyers: 1974, 1975
Philadelphia Union: SOON
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,877

Post#666 » by stormi » Mon May 6, 2024 11:10 pm

Arsenal wrote: I'm ok with this plan considering the alternatives. I think we can get 2 rotation players with the remaining $16m of cap. Perhaps Buddy Hield and Batum who I don't think comes back for vet min. Then get Drummond and Dario for vet min. Then we also have our 1st and 2nd rounder to fill out the rotation.

PG Maxey | Payne | Lowry
SG HIeld | Council | 2nd
SF George | Oubre | 1st
PF Batum | Saric | ??
CE Embiid | Drummond | ??

Even better if Melton comes back on a vet min. That may be his best option considering it preserves his Bird Rights, so if he has a healthy season we can pay him MLE money or even more. If he goes elsewhere for a small increase over the vet min, his Bird Rights are lost.

And if RoCo can get healthy, getting him back for vet min helps with the depth.

Now you're still got all your draft picks to make trades for upgrades at the deadline for guys like Caruso, Brodgon, etc.

If the money works I'd prefer Gary Trent over Buddy Hield. Much better defensively, a trustworthy POA perimeter defender, more athletic, can shoot off of the move. Feels like a fluid fit with this group.

I'd like to rebuild that F unit as well with more size, length and athleticism, preferably a young wing like Avdija, Williams or Toppin, but having Saric, Batum, Drummond would give us a lot more size on the interior and rebounding.

It's not a bad stage 1. Rome wasn't built in a day.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#667 » by mjkvol » Mon May 6, 2024 11:16 pm

AI_Efficiency wrote:Morey did say the right thing about using cap space this offseason just now. Said we won’t waste our cap space on a long term deal just to make one and instead would make smarter short term deals and maintain flexibility for the next good opportunity. Said would only go all in if it would make us best in the East.

Hope he's a man of his word, and I hope he keeps the picks.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,325

Post#668 » by Arsenal » Mon May 6, 2024 11:16 pm

If we can get Trent around $10m per instead of Hield then sign me up. You’re right he’s more likely to start as Nurse demands everyone plays D.

As for the other guys, that would likely come later via in season trades. Stage 2 as you say.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#669 » by mjkvol » Mon May 6, 2024 11:25 pm

FireMorey wrote:I still think Paul George will stick with the Clips. I can't see him wanting to come to Philly. He's from the LA area. Would he really go across the other side of the country to a whole new area for like 10m per year extra? I guess CA taxes factor in too. But still, he's made a ton of money. And would the Clips really let him go? They have no alternative, they gotta kinda try to win with those 3 guys or bust.

I have a feeling right now it's posturing and ultimately he'll re-sign. Probably for less than the max. Which would make Butler or Ingram the most likely scenarios IMO.

Agree with this, which is more reason not to get into some sort of bidding war. Nothing will make me believe that George wants any part of being here other than a last resort, and is that who we want to be investing in for the next 3-4 years?
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#670 » by sixers hoops » Mon May 6, 2024 11:29 pm

ZarcMumoff wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
ZarcMumoff wrote:
Just because they can sign him using cap space doesn't mean that is the right move.

I know, I said this in my OP.

They can sign the big free agent without renouncing him. The largest FA contract is PG13 at $49.4 million. They can get to that number without renouncing Melton, and instead signing him to a new contract via Bird Rights to something less than his cap hold (like we both agree will be the case). Embiid+Maxey+Oubre+Council+16+Melton at $10M would be $51.5M in cap space.

Why renounce him, open up $12 million in space, to then try to pursue him? There should be a specific *reason* to have that extra $12 million because Melton isn't limiting the big move if he signs for ~$10 million or less.

I already explained this. His cap hold is $17 million. They will renounce him to clear $17 million in cap space. There is zero reason to not renounce him. You are the only person who believes they should hold onto to his rights even though it makes no sense. It is a simple procedural motion that teams under the cap commonly make when a player’s cap hold is more than their likely market value. They are not going to rush a decision on Melton until free agency plays out, and they are not going to delay the signing of a priority free agents by foolishly holding onto Melton’s rights because you don’t understand that they hold no value to the process.

The Sixers likely have a lot of players ahead of Melton on their priority list due to his back issues, subsequently, signing Melton may not be a decision they are ready to make for a few weeks as they allow the market to play out. Therefore, they are not going to carry a more expensive cap hold for no reason. They are not signing him with cap space because they believe it is the right move. They simply understand math and realize the cap hold doesn’t benefit them. It’s actually not very complicated.

His cap hold isn't $17 million, it's $15.2 million. Word to wise: if you are going to be condescending about something, make sure it is correct.

"they are not going to delay the signing of a priority free agents by foolishly holding onto Melton’s rights"

I don't believe you are even reading what I'm saying if this is still your point when it is the COMPLETE opposite of what I've been saying. Like you are arguing something completely separate from my original posts. Reading and comprehension aren't very complicated, actually, so perhaps you are being obtuse on purpose.

We are going to end this discussion because you aren’t interested in understanding how the cap works, so let’s move on.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#671 » by PhillyFan11 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:31 pm

Didn’t Batum say he was retiring after the year? Has there been any indication that has changed?
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#672 » by sixers hoops » Mon May 6, 2024 11:33 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:Didn’t Batum say he was retiring after the year? Has there been any indication that has changed?

He said he will play in the Olympics and then make his decision. The thank you post to the Philly fans seemed a little like he could be leaving.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#673 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:14 am

Brandon Ingram saves this teams window and upside.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#674 » by PhillyNj » Tue May 7, 2024 12:57 am

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Brandon Ingram saves this teams window and upside.

Ingram is a good player. Not a star. He’s not worth his price tag.
phifans
Veteran
And1: 587

Post#675 » by phifans » Tue May 7, 2024 1:00 am

sixers hoops wrote:
AI_Efficiency wrote:Morey did say the right thing about using cap space this offseason just now. Said we won’t waste our cap space on a long term deal just to make one and instead would make smarter short term deals and maintain flexibility for the next good opportunity. Said would only go all in if it would make us best in the East.

Yep. He won’t be “punting” on the season. Just signing shorter deals. I like that he isn’t publicly committing to aggressively signing a big name. Just be smart.

Except we don't have flexibility anymore once Maxey gets his max contract. Signing long term deals or short term deals does't matter at all. This offseason is our last shot.

Seems like either Morey has lost his mind or he just try to fool some casual fans who has no idea how cba works.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#676 » by Eyeamok » Tue May 7, 2024 1:04 am

This team did enough to beat the knicks. Even with a one legged Embiid they put up enough points in each game to win. I think everyone can agree where the team fell flat is on rebounding. Too many second chance points for the knicks. I hear Butler, George but what I really want is someone that can step in and help with rebounding problem and a legit backup center. I;m kind of stuck on Drummond because he played well when he was a 76ers.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,204

Post#677 » by M2J » Tue May 7, 2024 1:19 am

Morey....SMH

I couldn't even get excited about this summer regarding this team....I knew he was going to blow it. This teams issues are around the edges, not needing a 3rd max. If he can trade into the cap and maintain depth... Get a real backup center.... Then more power to him.

He should just bring back Oubre, Hield, Payne, Lowry, Batum all at approprate costs. Maybe even grab a guy that's showcased he can takeover a playoff game in Monk. Evaluate Melton situation.... Get Drummond.

The idea of even going after Butler or George is silly if trading them into cap or using it or over paying via assets.

People saying Ingram isn't good are crazy and I doubt pels trade him. He was excellent vs Phoenix 2 years ago, was good this year and rushed back from injury to actually participate for his team in the playoffs.... Where was Zion?

Guys like Ingram, Mitchell, even Brown, Siakam, OG, Bridges, or the very gettable DJ Murray should be the focus of this team. They all fit, because Maxey and Joel can play dominating the ball or completely as finishers without it. They all bridge the age between Maxey and Joel. Whether that move comes this summer or next January doesn't matter
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,561

Post#678 » by eyeatoma » Tue May 7, 2024 1:36 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Really not looking forward to the Paul George experience...
AI_Efficiency
Sixth Man
And1: 752

Post#679 » by AI_Efficiency » Tue May 7, 2024 2:26 am

phifans wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Yep. He won’t be “punting” on the season. Just signing shorter deals. I like that he isn’t publicly committing to aggressively signing a big name. Just be smart.

Except we don't have flexibility anymore once Maxey gets his max contract. Signing long term deals or short term deals does't matter at all. This offseason is our last shot.

Seems like either Morey has lost his mind or he just try to fool some casual fans who has no idea how cba works.

It sounds like you may not believe Morey, but that is different than what he is saying not making sense. Morey was saying he wouldn’t give a max contract out just to give one, but would instead sign people to tradeable short contracts and then keep our picks and use them with players to get a good player when one becomes available.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#680 » by MVP1992 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:38 am

Read on Twitter
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”

Return to Philadelphia 76ers