ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#321 » by zaz102 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:55 pm

Is my understanding of the cap situation for the Sixers below accurate.

Let's boldly assume they keep Embiid, Council, the FRP, and sign Maxey at the end. Per the tweet below, the Sixers would have $61.3M with an $8M exception.
Read on Twitter

Does this mean they can sign players up to $61.3M, and then also sign another player for $8M, and fill out the rest of the roster with minimum contracts?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,335

Post#322 » by Arsenal » Fri May 3, 2024 11:01 pm

zaz102 wrote:Is my understanding of the cap situation for the Sixers below accurate.

Let's boldly assume they keep Embiid, Council, the FRP, and sign Maxey at the end. Per the tweet below, the Sixers would have $61.3M with an $8M exception.
Read on Twitter

Does this mean they can sign players up to $61.3M, and then also sign someone for $8M, and fill out the rest of the roster with minimum contracts?

Yes. They can use cap up to $61.3m. Then sign someone else for $8m Room Exception. Then sign as many vet mins as they want.

And for the cap, they get back an extra $1m per player signed since the Open Roster cap hold goes away, so if they sign 4 guys with that $61.3m, they can actually go up to around $65m in total contract value.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,390

Post#323 » by Murray_17 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:08 pm

I would not try Jimmy...

First, he's on the bad side of 30 with a large injury story, is he a probed playoff performer? yes, but he also has been dealing with injuries in 2 out of the last 3 seasons that killed his team seeding which is only gonna be a bigger issue going forward. That's a big issue for a team like us with a guy who already has issues with playing too many games.

The only reason we could get him is that Miami refuses to give him the new contract he wants, which would be a big red sign.

I'm also not that into PG, but i think that's the most realistic guy we can get. The main reason is we can give him a contract the Clippers aren't willing to give because it would be a best contract than what Kawhi and Harden got.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,842

Post#324 » by phillynative » Fri May 3, 2024 11:08 pm

I'm sick of recycling these old farts. It's time to hit on a young stud to pair with Maxey moving forward.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,701

Post#325 » by FireMorey » Fri May 3, 2024 11:12 pm

The question isn’t do you want Jimmy and more It’s if a guy like Lauri isn’t available, would you rather have Jimmy, PG, or Ingram? Because those might be the most realistic top level player options. Of those 3 options I’d choose Jimmy. If other guys are available then I’ll reassess. But there are no indications Lauri is even available. Or a guy like Bridges.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#326 » by Embiid P » Fri May 3, 2024 11:14 pm

Murray_17 wrote:I would not try Jimmy...

First, he's on the bad side of 30 with a large injury story, is he a probed playoff performer? yes, but he also has been dealing with injuries in 2 out of the last 3 seasons that killed his team seeding which is only gonna be a bigger issue going forward. That's a big issue for a team like us with a guy who already has issues with playing too many games.

The only reason we could get him is that Miami refuses to give him the new contract he wants, which would be a big red sign.

I'm also not that into PG, but i think that's the most realistic guy we can get. The main reason is we can give him a contract the Clippers aren't willing to give because it would be a best contract than what Kawhi and Harden got.

Agreed. Of all the names being floated out there, BI is the one I want most due to him only being 27 (although he has a lot of mileage and injuries for his age). PG and Jimmy Buckets are likely to decline very soon if they aren't already and it would be so typical of the Sixers to give either a max contract.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,595

Post#327 » by youngcrev » Fri May 3, 2024 11:15 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:If we punted this postseason for Paul George Morey is a fraud.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Why? Explain to me the aversion to Paul George vs other realistic options. Particularly as a guy that costs you no draft assets.

Age, and poor playoff performance. He's not as bad as Harden, but those two matter. He is also incredibly injury prone, and this was one of his more healthy seasons. The logic for Paul George makes even less sense when you refused to Max Harden for similar reasons.

IMO we need to either go for young star assetts, or just have a bunch of super role players.

I get the hesitation over age/injury history, and that he hasn't been an elite playoff performer (I don't think I'd say poor playoff performer)... But we're still talking an elite 2 way forward that shoots for volume from 3 and can play on and off ball.

Who are these super role players we're signing instead? Who is a young star that we actually have assets to get? And are they actually currently better than PG?

I feel like there's always this nitpicking of really good options based on some idealized version of what can actually be accomplished via free agency or the assets we have. If you actually play out possible scenarios for what could happen this off-season, signing Paul George is a pretty damn high end outcome.
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#328 » by zaz102 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:15 pm

Arsenal wrote:
zaz102 wrote:Is my understanding of the cap situation for the Sixers below accurate.

Read on Twitter

Does this mean they can sign players up to $61.3M, and then also sign someone for $8M, and fill out the rest of the roster with minimum contracts?

Yes. They can use cap up to $61.3m. Then sign someone else for $8m Room Exception. Then sign as many vet mins as they want.

And for the cap, they get back an extra $1m per player signed since the Open Roster cap hold goes away, so if they sign 4 guys with that $61.3m, they can actually go up to around $65m in total contract value.
Thanks!

I know it's a pipe dream, but if they could trade for Lauri or Mikal, they could put together a really good team.

CORE
Embiid
Maxey
Markkanen / Bridges

PO ROTATION PLAYERS
~$45M for about 4 players (2 starters, 6th man, backup big)
$8M MLE Player (7th man)

DEPTH
Council
FRP
Mins for about 5 players
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,873

Post#329 » by Slacktard » Fri May 3, 2024 11:16 pm

Arsenal wrote:There’s no way for us to get both Butler and George since they both want a MAX. It’s one or the other.

Jimmy Butler is at $48.8m for next year. It's not what his salary will be, it's not a player option (that's 2024-2025).

If the Sixers trade for him that reduces their cap space from around $63m to $15.8m

They would be at $15.8m with the Embiid/Maxey (still cap hold) and Jimmy Butler (plus RCIV who could be waived, but realistically would only save you about $600k)

I can't see how that is turned into an actual 'team'. This goes for PG-13 as well. Throwing all your eggs into teams built around Embiid (Who availability due to injury is a huge concern) and then adding old guys who aren't also known for their durability seems insane.

Jimmy Butler has missed about 20 to 25 games each of the last 4 seasons.

I think I'd almost prefer to see Morey sacrifice all the draft picks accumulated and use them to get a guy on his post-rookie deal who is around $20m-$30m and then actually leave another $30m-$40m to use to fill out the roster.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,390

Post#330 » by Murray_17 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:21 pm

FireMorey wrote:The question isn’t do you want Jimmy and more It’s if a guy like Lauri isn’t available, would you rather have Jimmy, PG, or Ingram? Because those might be the most realistic top level player options. Of those 3 options I’d choose Jimmy. If other guys are available then I’ll reassess. But there are no indications Lauri is even available. Or a guy like Bridges.

Its not what you want, is what you're more likely to get and in what context a guy becomes avalaible.

Again, the only way to get Jimmy is a break with the Heat pointing to his body actually breaking down. Ingram is only getable under a big trade and they are still loaded with picks, they need a guy.

PG on the other hand is on a situation in which he wants a max extension that the Clippers are not willing to concede, especially because it would give him a better contract than Kawhi.

This is not the approach i would like, i think the money should be used on a build of guys who organically fit around Maxey and Embiid. But if you want another max guy, this is the most likely scenario.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,612

Post#331 » by eyeatoma » Fri May 3, 2024 11:25 pm

youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
Why? Explain to me the aversion to Paul George vs other realistic options. Particularly as a guy that costs you no draft assets.

Age, and poor playoff performance. He's not as bad as Harden, but those two matter. He is also incredibly injury prone, and this was one of his more healthy seasons. The logic for Paul George makes even less sense when you refused to Max Harden for similar reasons.

IMO we need to either go for young star assetts, or just have a bunch of super role players.

I get the hesitation over age/injury history, and that he hasn't been an elite playoff performer (I don't think I'd say poor playoff performer)... But we're still talking an elite 2 way forward that shoots for volume from 3 and can play on and off ball.

Who are these super role players we're signing instead? Who is a young star that we actually have assets to get? And are they actually currently better than PG?

I feel like there's always this nitpicking of really good options based on some idealized version of what can actually be accomplished via free agency or the assets we have. If you actually play out possible scenarios for what could happen this off-season, signing Paul George is a pretty damn high end outcome.

Young stars that we could get, if the gm wants to trade them:

Lauri/Mikal/DeJounte Murray

Elite assetts we could try and get through trade or free agency

Bruce Brown

Jordan Clarkson

Keldon Johnson

Gary Trent Jr.

Kentavious Caldwell Pope

Jonas Valanciunas

Tyus Jones

Malik Monk

Alex Caruso

Nick Claxton

Monte Morris

Patrick Williams

Kyle Anderson

Caleb Martin

Isaiah Hartentstein

Miles Bridges

There is a path to a very good team without selling yourself out to the old and decrepit.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/_/year/2024

This article would also be a good read:

https://t.co/IHqTxoqRpo
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,162

Post#332 » by mjkvol » Fri May 3, 2024 11:27 pm

Arsenal wrote:There’s no way for us to get both Butler and George since they both want a MAX. It’s one or the other.

If that's the choice, give me Butler in a heartbeat on a 2-year deal.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
zaz102
Sixth Man

Post#333 » by zaz102 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:32 pm

mjkvol wrote:

Based on the rumor yesterday, i was thinking Butler wanted an extra two years, so four total.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#334 » by eyeatoma » Fri May 3, 2024 11:34 pm

mjkvol wrote:

Apparently if we renounce everyone except for Embiid and Maxey we could theoretically get George and Lauri.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#335 » by youngcrev » Fri May 3, 2024 11:35 pm

eyeatoma wrote:Young stars that we could get, if the gm wants to trade them:

Bruce Brown

Jordan Clarkson

Keldon Johnson

Gary Trent Jr.

Katavious Caldwell Pope

Jonas Valanciunas

Tyus Jones

Malik Monk

Alex Caruso

Nick Claxton

Monte Morris

Patrick Williams

Kyle Anderson

Caleb Martin

Isaiah Hartentstein

Miles Bridges

There is a path to a very good team without selling yourself out to the old and decrepit.

I'm skeptical that they've got the assets to acquire Bridges or Lauri, if they even end up on the market.

You'd rather have Dejounte Murray than Paul George? I wouldn't even if you factor in the out the assets necessary to acquire him.

You'd still have flexibility to add one or two of your listed elite assets. You'd take an upgraded 7th and 8th man over extreme as your 3rd guy?
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#336 » by eyeatoma » Fri May 3, 2024 11:37 pm

youngcrev wrote:

Bruce Brown

Jordan Clarkson

Keldon Johnson

Gary Trent Jr.

Katavious Caldwell Pope

Jonas Valanciunas

Tyus Jones

Malik Monk

Alex Caruso

Nick Claxton

Monte Morris

Patrick Williams

Kyle Anderson

Caleb Martin

Isaiah Hartentstein

Miles Bridges

I'm skeptical that they've got the assets to acquire Bridges or Lauri, if they even end up on the market.

You'd rather have Dejounte Murray than Paul George? I wouldn't even if you factor in the out the assets necessary to acquire him.

You'd still have flexibility to add one or two of your listed elite assets. You'd take an upgraded 7th and 8th man over extreme as your 3rd guy?

If it's the right player yes.

You could get Mile Bridges (gross I know), Tyus Jones and Valanciunas and you're set.

Maxey is young, no point in pairing an aging star with him. He needs someone to grow with. Need to start thinking about the transition to the post Embiid era.

Could also try and add Bruce Brown or Alex Caruso to the 3 I mentioned, not sure about salaries in that situation.

A lineup like this:

Embiid
Bridges
Caruso
Maxey
Jones

Is far better than whatever iteration you'd have with George/Butler/Ingram
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#337 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 12:44 am

eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Bruce Brown

Jordan Clarkson

Keldon Johnson

Gary Trent Jr.

Katavious Caldwell Pope

Jonas Valanciunas

Tyus Jones

Malik Monk

Alex Caruso

Nick Claxton

Monte Morris

Patrick Williams

Kyle Anderson

Caleb Martin

Isaiah Hartentstein

Miles Bridges

You could get Mile Bridges (gross I know), Tyus Jones and Valanciunas and you're set.

Maxey is young, no point in pairing an aging star with him. He needs someone to grow with. Need to start thinking about the transition to the post Embiid era.

Could also try and add Bruce Brown or Alex Caruso to the 3 I mentioned, not sure about salaries in that situation.

A lineup like this:

Embiid
Bridges
Caruso
Maxey
Jones

That feels closer to a worst case scenario to me.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,162

Post#338 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 12:48 am

eyeatoma wrote:If we punted this postseason for Paul George Morey is a fraud.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

This. And x 1000 for James.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,266

Post#339 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 4, 2024 12:53 am

The problem with LeBron/Butler/George is each would take up $50/$65 mil cap space. Butler would cost picks as well.

So you're only giving yourself a chance to sign maybe 3 rotational players with the remaining $15 mil cap space + room exception. Let's say those 3 are Melton (cheapest), Kyle Anderson, and Oubre or Hield (whoever is cheaper). Lowry, Drummond, and a backup 4 (Batum? Covington?) for vet mins.

Maxey/Lowry
Melton/Hield or #16
George/Oubre or #16
Anderson/(vet min)
Embiid/Drummoond

Better than this year's team but will likely have question marks heading into the playoffs.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#340 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 1:05 am

youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

A lineup like this:

Embiid
Bridges
Caruso
Maxey
Jones

That feels closer to a worst case scenario to me.

And we' still give Boston and any team a run for their money. especially if you can get players like Bruce Brown and Val off the bench.

It would be a worst case scenerio in not being able to get a star, I agree. But looking at Denver, I think the model is super role players around 2 stars. Gives you so much flexibility to make trades as well.

Ideal for me would try to go get Lauri/Mikal.

Then Dejounte, and if not what I posted above.

My worst case scenario is getting one of the members of the tales from the crypt and then praying they stay healthy for the playoffs.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers