ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,555

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#441 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 11:19 pm

FireMorey wrote:OG isn’t worth close to 40m per season. He’s not even worth 30. I don’t think there’s anything special about him. He’s a solid NBA player, nothing more.

I'm not sure about that OG was fantastic this series.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#442 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 4, 2024 11:21 pm

FireMorey wrote:OG isn’t worth close to 40m per season. He’s not even worth 30. I don’t think there’s anything special about him. He’s a solid NBA player, nothing more.

We'd have to overpay like hell but I'd do it.

Would you rather pay OG or PG $40 mil/year for the next 4 years? Genuine question.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,101

Post#443 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 11:24 pm

Arsenal wrote:Personally I offer PG the Kyrie contract from Dallas, 3 years $126m which is $42m per year. Still leaves us $20m in cap and the room exception to fill out the roster. Giving him the full max of $50m/yr is a mistake.

If that’s not enough, move onto Plan B.

Something like that makes it much more palatable. I’ve been trying to run through the options with PG getting the max and, I’m not sure how accurate my technical information is, but it’s tough.

Looking at PG getting 4 years, $212 million, I assume year one is just about $51 million. Also, with Kelly Oubre having a $2 million cap hold, I’d try to keep him as well. They are reserving a rotation piece for almost nothing. If they keep just Embiid, Maxey cap hold, Oubre cap hold, Council, and the 16 pick, they have $59.4 million in cap space. After signing PG, they have $8.5million in cap space left.

Maxey, Oubre, George, Embiid, 16 pick, and Council with a small amount of cap space, the room exception, vet signings.

Starters:
Maxey
Oubre
George
Embiid

Bench
Council

They need another quality starter and some rotation pieces. I think Batum and Lowry can still play but they will have to be minimal signings. Melton’s back I don’t trust, but would have interest on a lesser deal. Could you get Batum, Melton, and Drummond with you remaining cap space and exception?

Starters:
Maxey
Oubre
George
Embiid

Bench
Melton
Batum
Drummond
Lowry (vet min)
Council
16 pick
Covington (vet min)

Ultimately, we are prob better than last year just by shaking Tobias, but it’s a thin group, especially if Melton can’t be counted on. You could prob start a healthy Melton, but ideally they could use someone that could really shoot, and some bigger forwards.

I think PG would have to be all-star level PG because he is making so much money that it really hampers your ability to get some key players.

On the other hand, if he takes a 3 year, $126 million deal, we add that $10 million in cap space and can prob get enough parts to be vastly improved over last season. Paul George replacing Tobias is a massive upgrade. You can also find a starter to move Lowry to a smaller bench role. You hope Melton is healthy to be a key bench piece. You significantly upgrade Paul Reed. And we should be able to attract a few nice bench pieces for cheap.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,695

Post#444 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 11:27 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:

Would you rather pay OG or PG $40 mil/year for the next 4 years? Genuine question.

Paul George, not even close and I don’t even want him. He’s still all star caliber. OG is a role player. Don’t pay role players max contracts pretty much ever. You will always come to regret it.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#445 » by stormi » Sat May 4, 2024 11:29 pm

Super jealous of this Wolves roster

Size/Rebounding: Gobert, McDaniels, KAT, Reid, Anderson
Shooting: Conley, NAW, KAT Ant
Passing: Conley, Anderson, Ant
Defending: Everyone

Feels like a tough task, but we're miles off of competing with these guys unless we get 3-4 high impact and versatile contributors around Maxey and Embiid.

And then bringing back some combo of our depth guys like Batum, Lowry, Payne, Oubre, Melton
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,101

Post#446 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 11:30 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:

Tough call for me. I don’t watch a ton of any of these guys until the playoffs. I would prob go OG, but Paul George is a much better fit for next season or two. He could do so much more for us than OG, but in years three and four, OG will still be in his prime, while PG may be falling off a cliff. Tough call though. Really depends on your confidence in PG remaining effective.
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 127

Post#447 » by fkd215 » Sat May 4, 2024 11:33 pm

Re Paul Reed:
1. F--- you/thank you Danny Ainge: your attempt at a poison pill in Reed’s contract ended up giving us some optionality. Too clever by half.
2. I wish we had seen Reed play the 4. It’d be nice to know if he would be more effective there.
3. I don’t want to even think this, but what if Doc was right about Reed?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#448 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 11:35 pm

Arsenal wrote:
youngcrev wrote:Dario had some success as a stretch 5 for the Warriors this year. Never opposed to bringing him home for cheap.

Love is a better and cheaper version of that archetype. His impact metrics were great for a vet min player. Would be great to get him for around $5m per.

I imagine they'll both be on minimum deals. I'm not opposed to Love. Just don't know that he'd choose here with the lack of any connection.

Both can rebound, shoot and pass.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#449 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 11:40 pm

fkd215 wrote:Re Paul Reed:
1. F--- you/thank you Danny Ainge: your attempt at a poison pill in Reed’s contract ended up giving us some optionality. Too clever by half.
2. I wish we had seen Reed play the 4. It’d be nice to know if he would be more effective there.
3. I don’t want to even think this, but what if Doc was right about Reed?

I think he's a decent backup 5, particularly in a switchable schemes. Losing Harden really hurt his value to the team. I think we're better off with either a stretch big or a traditional rim protector in Maxey-centric lineups.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,120

Post#450 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 11:41 pm

FlyingArrow wrote:Is it just me, or does the PG gambit seem like it wouldn't work, even if we got him?

We get a big 3, but we have two of those 3 with only about 65-75% availability due to injuries. The likelihood of having PG and Embiid both healthy in the playoffs is about as likely as having PG and Kawhi both healthy for the playoffs. Just not likely to happen. Plus... he'll be so expensive that we have a top-heavy roster with no bench. Haven't we seen that archetype fail all over the league recently?

Not to mention - at 33, that contract will be really, really bad at the end if it's a 5-year max. Really, really bad at Maxey's peak when we should be really good.

A healthy PG is worth a max salary for sure. I'm not so sure he's worth a 5-year max, though, at his age. Much less with his injury history, and even less so given the fact that we have two other max players and have the rest of the roster to fill out. Count me in the camp that hopes we miss out on him. If we do get him - I hope it works out. I just don't like the injury and age-related odds, or the outlook for the rest of the roster with the resulting salary restrictions.

The only way I'm in on signing PG is if the only other alternative is James coming here.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#451 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 11:41 pm

FireMorey wrote:Paul George has been widely reported to be Morey's top target this summer. Just for argument's sake, say the LAC re-sign PG. Who does everyone think becomes Morey's new top target?

Not who you would target if you were him, but who you think he will target if PG is off the board.

I imagine he looks towards a trade, but I bet Klay is way higher on his FA target list than we'd like.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#452 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 11:44 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
mihaic wrote:
Arsenal wrote:This season was lost long before today unfortunately when Embiid got hurt tanking our seed. Even before we were not "all-in" and this was a transition year after not extending Harden.

So this is what should have been expected. Everything has pointed to this offseason as the key moment when Daryl Morey will turn this team into a real contender.

He has the reigning MVP under contract along with a 2nd star in Maxey with a $13m caphold. Everyone else is a FA and even Paul Reed is non-guaranteed after losing the 1st round.

So, what is the plan? Paul George? Pascal Siakam? Lebron James? Just getting a ton of depth?

My personal feeling is they need that third star and the best fit is Pascal Siakam due to age and position. I've changed my tune on that as just depth around Embiid won't be enough considering how injury prone he is.

If we MAX Siakam, we still have around $25m in cap space left. That should be enough for 2 more starters, preferably 3&D types. Then we can get a 6th man type via the Room Exception. Otherwise use the full $25m on one more better starter.

After that we need vet mins, so hopefully Lowry comes back and we get a couple more decent ones. Maybe Melton comes back on a vet min to keep his bird rights. Maybe RoCo or Batum also. There will be others available and we need to snag a few.

Maxey gets his MAX after all other moves are made.

The team would be thin for a year, but in future years can add more players with MLE and other exceptions.

Lineup:

PG Maxey | Lowry (vet min)
SG Cap Space | Vet min
SF Cap Space | Room Exception
PF Siakam | Vet min
CE Embiid | Vet min

What should be Daryl's plan this summer? It's make or break time for him now...

You guys should go for OG. Siakam is not thatgreat against good defenders, he can be shut down in the final 2-3 minutes by a good defender. He cannot shoot the 3 very well, he clanks open ones.

I would love OG as one of two big forward acquisitions, ala the way Denver has Porter/Gordon. Would be shocked if he leaves New York though.

Agree. I'd take OG over any of the other FA options out there, but it's highly unlikely.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#453 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 11:46 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:New plan:

1) Trade four 1sts for Lauri.
2) Steal Anunoby away from New York. Offer him a 4-year, $160 mil deal and see if NYK matches.
3) Re-sign Melton with remaining cap space (1-year, ~$6 mil).
4) Sign Oubre with room exception (~$8 mil).
5) Sign Lowry, Batum (or someone else if he retires), and Drummond to vet min deals.

Maxey/Lowry
Melton/Council
Anunoby/Oubre
Markkanen/Batum
Embiid/Drummond

I think I could live with that. I'd prefer someone else to Lowry, though.
Iscull
Senior
And1: 134

Post#454 » by Iscull » Sat May 4, 2024 11:52 pm

mjkvol wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:Is it just me, or does the PG gambit seem like it wouldn't work, even if we got him?

We get a big 3, but we have two of those 3 with only about 65-75% availability due to injuries. The likelihood of having PG and Embiid both healthy in the playoffs is about as likely as having PG and Kawhi both healthy for the playoffs. Just not likely to happen. Plus... he'll be so expensive that we have a top-heavy roster with no bench. Haven't we seen that archetype fail all over the league recently?

Not to mention - at 33, that contract will be really, really bad at the end if it's a 5-year max. Really, really bad at Maxey's peak when we should be really good.

A healthy PG is worth a max salary for sure. I'm not so sure he's worth a 5-year max, though, at his age. Much less with his injury history, and even less so given the fact that we have two other max players and have the rest of the roster to fill out. Count me in the camp that hopes we miss out on him. If we do get him - I hope it works out. I just don't like the injury and age-related odds, or the outlook for the rest of the roster with the resulting salary restrictions.

The only way I'm in on signing PG is if the only other alternative is James coming here.

Co-sign. I don’t think PG puts us over the top, but it’s better than Harden.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 668

Post#455 » by Monix » Sat May 4, 2024 11:52 pm

Anunoby - those 2 missed dunks in Game 6 are a little concerning re: how his athleticism will age
Iscull
Senior
And1: 134

Post#456 » by Iscull » Sun May 5, 2024 12:01 am

ProcessDoctor wrote:New plan:

1) Trade four 1sts for Lauri.
2) Steal Anunoby away from New York. Offer him a 4-year, $160 mil deal and see if NYK matches.
3) Re-sign Melton with remaining cap space (1-year, ~$6 mil).
4) Sign Oubre with room exception (~$8 mil).
5) Sign Lowry, Batum (or someone else if he retires), and Drummond to vet min deals.

Maxey/Lowry
Melton/Council
Anunoby/Oubre
Markkanen/Batum
Embiid/Drummond

1) Agree on Markkenen. His play style and age fit perfectly. Separately, i think it’s worth gambling future firsts to win while we have Embiid.

2) I think Anunoby is more of a PF next to Embiid. If we can’t get Markennen, then this makes sense.

With this cap space instead, I’d trade for a guard who can shoot well. Thinking Murray or Bogdnavic from Atlanta. I really like Oubre starting with the others.

3) I think Meltons injury’s are killing his career. I’d rather use that money on Hield,

4) Drummond, Batum, Martin, and Payne in my opinion.

Maxey / Payne
Bogdanavic / Hield
Oubre / Council
Markkenen / Batum / Martin
Embiid / Drummond

Above team would be very competitive.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#457 » by PhillyFan11 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:08 am

sixers hoops wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
What are you projecting for Miles? I assumed he was still a guy most of the league would avoid.

$25-30m per year. We only have about $13m if we MAX out PG.

I would have guessed in the $15-$20 million range. I assumed teams would be scared to make a big commitment to him. Maybe high dollars and only two years, or low dollars, like the $15-$20 million range, if it’s a longer deal. This guy is one step from screwing whoever signs him over.

I don’t really have my finger on the pulse of the situation though.

I think Bridges is going back to Charlotte with a bigger contract than anyone else is going to offer because of bird rights. Bridges refused to waive his no trade clause at the deadline and said he wanted to stay in Charolette long term. Don’t see why Charlotte would just to let him just walk either, at best it would take a S&T.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#458 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 12:43 am

Speaking of character risks, I'm going to keep banging the drum for Kevin Porter Jr. He must know he's on his last chance and we should be able to get him for a vet min.

Potentially cheap solution for a backcourt partner to Maxey. As long as the money is small there's no risk as we can just cut him if he does something stupid.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#459 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 12:45 am

I'd also take a flier on Killian Hayes. Bring him in here on a non-guaranteed deal and see if we can fix his jumper enough to make him playable this summer.

We absolutely need to take fliers on potential cheap contributors with upside like Hayes and Porter considering our likely cap constraints.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#460 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 12:49 am

Also get Bojan Bogdanovic in here as a bench shooter. He showed he was still good enough to be in a playoff rotation and his shooting would be even more helpful in the regular season.

Doubt he'll get a big deal, maybe $8m per year? I'd be ok with that depending how other things shake out.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers