ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,802

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#561 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 3:36 am

Kevin Durant played 75 games and averaged 27ppg 6rpg and 5apg last season at age 35.

26.8ppg on 65TS% in the playoffs against arguably the best defensive team in the NBA.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#562 » by FlyingArrow » Mon May 6, 2024 3:49 am

Even though he's older, I like the idea of Durant better than PG or Butler. Just in terms of injury risk and projected productivity, Durant projects better than either of them. Height and shooting are two things that age very well in this game, and those are two of KD's biggest strengths. He has had his own significant injuries, of course, but it hasn't been virtually every year like PG. And he doesn't project to fall off a cliff like Butler does. Expect one more good season from Butler before his contract is another Tobias albatross. A max Butler contract for 3 years is almost saying all-in for 1 year and punting the next 2. That's beyond stupid.

Next year is Embiid's age-30 season and Maxey's age-24 season. In terms of average-age prime, the next 3 seasons are the ones where they are both in their prime (age 24-32 - peak is usually about age 27/28). Although with Embiid's injury concerns and history, it would not be a shock to see his prime end sooner. The point is that we don't need to go all-in for next season. Maxey has extended our window considerably. If Maxey and Embiid are both lifetime Sixers (big if), then based just on their ages these next 3 years are the best shot at a title with them. Betting everything on one season - not a great move when we can have 3 years where we have a great chance.

Of course, every player is different. Some players peak early - see Simmons, Ben.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#563 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 3:53 am

The best value play would be to pursue Brandon Ingram. He currently has only $36M on the books, leaving us with $20M to allocate. Although he's coming off a really bad slump similar to Tobias', our front office (FO) needs to bet that he can rebound to his performance level from a season or two ago.

To hedge the Ingram bet, the FO should allocate the remaining cap space to acquire 1-2 high-quality role players.

Possibilities include pairing Ingram with 1-2 of the following players:
- DeMar DeRozan
- Miles Bridges
- Nic Claxton
- D'Angelo Russell
- Malik Monk
- Klay Thompson
- Isaiah Hartenstein
- Bruce Brown
- Tyus Jones
- Saddiq Bey

Potential starting lineups could be:

1. Maxey, DeRozan, Oubre, Ingram, Embiid
2. Maxey, Klay Thompson, Oubre, Ingram, Embiid
3. Maxey, Tyus Jones, Oubre, Ingram, Embiid 6th:Hartenstein or Claxton
4. Maxey, absorb Caruso, Oubre, Ingram, Embiid 6th:Hartenstein or Claxton
5. Maxey, Monk, Oubre, Ingram, Embiid
6. Maxey, Ingram, Oubre, Bridges, Embiid

*im not convinced about Ingram until I made this post
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,103

Post#564 » by sixers hoops » Mon May 6, 2024 3:53 am

76ciology wrote:Kevin Durant played 75 games and averaged 27ppg 6rpg and 5apg last season at age 35.

26.8ppg on 65TS% in the playoffs against arguably the best defensive team in the NBA.

Durant is still playing at a top 10 level, and only has two years left on his contract. If healthy, his floor is probably two more all-star seasons.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#565 » by sixers hoops » Mon May 6, 2024 3:56 am

FlyingArrow wrote:Even though he's older, I like the idea of Durant better than PG or Butler. Just in terms of injury risk and projected productivity, Durant projects better than either of them. Height and shooting are two things that age very well in this game, and those are two of KD's biggest strengths. He has had his own significant injuries, of course, but it hasn't been virtually every year like PG. And he doesn't project to fall off a cliff like Butler does. Expect one more good season from Butler before his contract is another Tobias albatross. A max Butler contract for 3 years is almost saying all-in for 1 year and punting the next 2. That's beyond stupid.

Next year is Embiid's age-30 season and Maxey's age-24 season. In terms of average-age prime, the next 3 seasons are the ones where they are both in their prime (age 24-32 - peak is usually about age 27/28). Although with Embiid's injury concerns and history, it would not be a shock to see his prime end sooner. The point is that we don't need to go all-in for next season. Maxey has extended our window considerably. If Maxey and Embiid are both lifetime Sixers (big if), then based just on their ages these next 3 years are the best shot at a title with them. Betting everything on one season - not a great move when we can have 3 years where we have a great chance.

Of course, every player is different. Some players peak early - see Simmons, Ben.

The suns traded four firsts and Bridges for him. They would probably need a massive return to avoid looking like fools, or they may just keep him and go down with the ship.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#566 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 4:00 am

The only way I can see Suns trade Durant is we S&T Maxey to them and they send us Beal and Durant.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#567 » by ProcessDoctor » Mon May 6, 2024 4:05 am

Phoenix is still a year or two away from trading Durant, if ever. Ishbia has publically doubled down on this roster construction after their sweep.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#568 » by sixers hoops » Mon May 6, 2024 4:05 am

76ciology wrote:The only way I can see Suns trade Durant is we S&T Maxey to them and they send us Beal and Durant.

Nope.

I hate the idea, but trading five picks for Markkenan is prob the best idea being discussed here. Assuming we know we can get our targeted free agents to fill out the roster with the remaining cap room.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#569 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 4:06 am

sixers hoops wrote:
76ciology wrote:The only way I can see Suns trade Durant is we S&T Maxey to them and they send us Beal and Durant.

Nope.

I hate the idea, but trading five picks for Markkenan is prob the best idea being discussed here. Assuming we know we can get our targeted free agents to fill out the roster with the remaining cap room.

Sorry, what i meant is the only possible way Suns will trade us Durant. But it doesnt mean we are willing to do it
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,608

Post#570 » by NYSixersFan » Mon May 6, 2024 4:08 am

I don't think we need to trade 5 1st round picks for Markannen or Bridges. The Clippers pick is very valuable and having the 16th pick isn't bad. If we're including the Clippers pick then 3 1st round picks and maybe one pick swap is fair.

If Utah still likes Reed, then offer up the 3 1st round picks plus Reed.
ZarcMumoff
Lead Assistant
And1: 483

Post#571 » by ZarcMumoff » Mon May 6, 2024 4:18 am

sixers hoops wrote:They don’t need to renounce him because his back is hurt or because they planned poorly, they would renounce his rights because they don’t need them to eventually re-sign him.

Just because they can sign him using cap space doesn't mean that is the right move.

sixers hoops wrote:He is going to get paid less than his cap hold.

I know, I said this in my OP.

sixers hoops wrote:However, they are going to renounce him, sign the big free agent

They can sign the big free agent without renouncing him. The largest FA contract is PG13 at $49.4 million. They can get to that number without renouncing Melton, and instead signing him to a new contract via Bird Rights to something less than his cap hold (like we both agree will be the case). Embiid+Maxey+Oubre+Council+16+Melton at $10M would be $51.5M in cap space.

sixers hoops wrote:then they can pursue free-agents with the remaining $12 million or so. If they are okay with his back, Melton will likely be one of the players they target. And they wouldn’t be “circling back” to him. They would just be pursuing him without his rights, since they are operating with cap space.

Why renounce him, open up $12 million in space, to then try to pursue him? There should be a specific *reason* to have that extra $12 million because Melton isn't limiting the big move if he signs for ~$10 million or less.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#572 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 4:28 am

NYSixersFan wrote:I don't think we need to trade 5 1st round picks for Markannen or Bridges. The Clippers pick is very valuable and having the 16th pick isn't bad. If we're including the Clippers pick then 3 1st round picks and maybe one pick swap is fair.

Factor the bid war and you’ll see that it would take 4-5 1sts.

If Lauri is on the market, Magic, Pels and Thunders should atleast be in the mix.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,608

Post#573 » by NYSixersFan » Mon May 6, 2024 4:37 am

76ciology wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:I don't think we need to trade 5 1st round picks for Markannen or Bridges. The Clippers pick is very valuable and having the 16th pick isn't bad. If we're including the Clippers pick then 3 1st round picks and maybe one pick swap is fair.

If Lauri is on the market, Magic, Pels and Thunders should atleast be in the mix.

Plenty of other options available for a lower cost.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#574 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 4:42 am

NYSixersFan wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Plenty of other options available for a lower cost.

Personally, I don't see us trading picks after 2026, but that's just my perspective. If that's the line of thinking, then we would be looking at trading the 2024 1st-round pick, a 2026 pick swap, and a 2026 1st-round pick. Perhaps we can also use the cap space to acquire an additional 1-2 picks?

The Lauri Markkanen deal would likely include:
- Filler
- 2024 Sixers 1st-round pick
- 2026 Sixers swap
- 2026 OKC 1st-round pick
- 1st-round pick from cap trade
- 1st-round pick from cap trade

I believe it's essential to have some picks for flexibility, especially around the trade deadline, and to have additional picks later than 2026 for the post-Embiid era.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,561

Post#575 » by eyeatoma » Mon May 6, 2024 4:43 am

Never happening. That's also a worse team IMO.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#576 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 5:12 am

eyeatoma wrote:

Never happening. That's also a worse team IMO.

Yup. Again.. im just saying that this is the type of deal you’d be looking at for the Suns to accept
76ciology
RealGM

Post#577 » by 76ciology » Mon May 6, 2024 5:50 am

Option 1: Generate 2 first-round picks using cap space, trade 4 first-round picks, and a swap trade with fillers for Markkanen; the fillers become part of the rotation.

Option 2: Generate 2 first-round picks using cap space, trade 4 first-round picks, and a swap trade with fillers for KD.

Option 3A: Sign Siakam to a $42M contract, use around $18M cap space, and picks for upgrades and depth like Derozan, Klay or Monk.

Option 3B: Trade 2 picks and a swap (2024 1st, 2026 1st, and 2026 swap) for Brandon Ingram, then use the remaining $20+M cap space for another high-quality free agent like Derozan, Klay or Monk.

Option 3C: Trade 2 picks and a swap (2024 1st, 2026 1st, and 2026 swap) for Jimmy Butler, then use the remaining $10+M cap space for another high-quality free agent like Jalen Smith, Bey or Hartenstein.

Option 3D: Sign Paul George to a $50+M contract, use the little remaining cap, and trade 2 picks and a swap (2024 1st, 2026 1st, and 2026 swap) for depth upgrade.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#578 » by brannigan73 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:54 am

I noticed our old friend TJ McConnell has only a partially guaranteed contract for next season. Its guaranteed if they dont waive him after the draft. I dont know what there cap situation is, maybe they would part with him because of the finanicial outlay to Siakam, is but he has improved a lot over the years and is go agressive getting into the paint. He would be a great 3rd guard.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,561

Post#579 » by eyeatoma » Mon May 6, 2024 6:02 am

brannigan73 wrote:I noticed our old friend TJ McConnell has only a partially guaranteed contract for next season. Its guaranteed if they dont waive him after the draft. I dont know what there cap situation is, maybe they would part with him because of the finanicial outlay to Siakam, is but he has improved a lot over the years and is go agressive getting into the paint. He would be a great 3rd guard.

Unfortunately Morey isn't a fan, he was quoted saying this in the Ricky. I don't think it was the last pod, but the previous one. In some ways I get it, but in others I don't.
Sportfan73
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,316

Post#580 » by Sportfan73 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:09 am

76ciology wrote:Option 1: Generate 2 first-round picks using cap space, trade 4 first-round picks, and a swap trade with fillers for Markkanen; the fillers become part of the rotation.

Option 2: Generate 2 first-round picks using cap space, trade 4 first-round picks, and a swap trade with fillers for KD.

Option 3A: Sign Siakam to a $42M contract, use around $18M cap space, and picks for upgrades and depth like Derozan, Klay or Monk.

Option 3B: Trade 2 picks and a swap (2024 1st, 2026 1st, and 2026 swap) for Brandon Ingram, then use the remaining $20+M cap space for another high-quality free agent like Derozan, Klay or Monk.

Option 3C: Sign Paul George to a $50+M contract, use the little remaining cap, and trade 2 picks and a swap (2024 1st, 2026 1st, and 2026 swap) for depth upgrade.

Option 4: Exhaust all cap and picks for Butler

Butler won’t cost more than 2 firsts at the most. He’s 35 and wanting an extension

Return to Philadelphia 76ers