ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Doramas
Ballboy
And1: 31

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#481 » by Doramas » Sun May 5, 2024 12:54 pm

Daniela Rajic is the wife of Paul George. Do you know who she is? Have you seen her? I don't like to prejudge people, but with her it's inevitable and it's obvious to me what her thinking is. I'm sure she's not going to want to change Los Angeles for Philadelphia.
:nod:
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,605

Post#482 » by youngcrev » Sun May 5, 2024 1:07 pm

Derrick Jones Jr has had a great season in Dallas. 29 mpg starter for them in round 1. Impactful defensive wing that has improved enough to at least be passable on the offensive end (still a guy you gameplan to leave open though).

The problem for Dallas? I believe the most they can pay him is the tax MLE (around $5M) since he's signed to a minimum. Could be a room MLE type target around 8M. Just turned 27.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 583

Post#483 » by blargh » Sun May 5, 2024 1:13 pm

Arsenal wrote:Luke Kennard is another guy to keep an eye on. He has a $15m team option which I assume the Grizzlies won't pick up due to potential tax issues. If that happens, maybe we can get him for around $10m per. Rotation-worthy player who jacks tons of 3s without conscience, something we sorely need around Jo and Max.

I think before we look at Kennard we have to really figure out what happened with Hield this year, because they are more or less the same guy. Did Hield just get old and fall off a cliff? Did he not have enough time to acclimate to the offense? Or is there something about playing within this Embiid offense where pure gunners are not as useful as commonly believed? You could argue with Embiid a questionable decision maker and Maxey not a true PG that we need a little extra playmaking from our role players to make it work.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,346

Post#484 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 1:18 pm

Kennard is a better playmaker than Hield. He’s pretty good for a SG and should fit well within Nurse’s motion offense. His D would be the biggest question.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#485 » by stormi » Sun May 5, 2024 1:36 pm

Arsenal wrote:Kennard is a better playmaker than Hield. He’s pretty good for a SG and should fit well within Nurse’s motion offense. His D would be the biggest question.

I adore Kennard, I have since he was at Duke. He has maybe the prettiest jumper in the league, he can create for himself or others off the bounce and can shoot off the move.

Two things, he doesn't defend anyone and he just can't stay healthy.

He'd have to be coming for essentially free for me to cosign a move for him.

As a microwave scorer off the bench he'd be a nifty player to have. I could see Kennard and Embiid playing really well together in non-Maxey minutes.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,251

Post#486 » by Kobblehead » Sun May 5, 2024 1:40 pm

Arsenal wrote:I wonder if Jalen Smith can start at PF. Apparently he was in Indy until they acquired Siakam.

Smith at around MLE money ($12m / yr) is a potential breakout candidate if he can start at PF next to Jo, then slide to backup C when Jo is out.

I would think about it.

My concern with Smith is I think he's a stationary defender as opposed to a motion defender. Stationary defenders are better suited at C. Probably doesn't have the ability to hold up defensively at PF going up against the likes of Tatum, Butler, Banchero, Antetokounmpo, etc. We'd be at a matchup disadvantage against every Eastern team other than Cleveland (who play twin bigs).
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 990

Post#487 » by Tony Franciosa » Sun May 5, 2024 2:13 pm

Doramas wrote:Daniela Rajic is the wife of Paul George. Do you know who she is? Have you seen her? I don't like to prejudge people, but with her it's inevitable and it's obvious to me what her thinking is. I'm sure she's not going to want to change Los Angeles for Philadelphia.

You can judge her. She's a wannabe Kardashian and definitely could be a factor in his decision-making.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,609

Post#488 » by NYSixersFan » Sun May 5, 2024 2:22 pm

mjkvol wrote:
NYSixersFan wrote:Ok, so here is my plan....

1) I don't want another max player unless it's someone in their prime and actually worth the money. I don't see anyone like that available.

2) I would rather trade assets for younger players on good contracts than overpay high priced free agents.

3) I want to build a team with depth, not have three max guys and a bunch of vet minimums.

So here we go...

My first call is to Brooklyn about Bridges...2nd call is to Utah for Marrkanen.....After we get neither (most likely), let's look at some quality realistic options....

1) Atlanta - I'm very interested in Murray. I like his game and his contract. I'm also checking in on Bogdanovic and De'Andre Hunter.

2) New Orleans - I don't love Ingram, but I would be interested if the price is right...two 1st round picks, but not the Clippers pick.
I would not extend Ingram either. I would also be very interested in CJ McCollum. I've always liked him. Really wanted us to draft him.

3) Portland - Malcolm Brogdon would be a good fit with Maxey. Jerami Grant might be appealing if they were packaged together and we don't have to give up much because they want to get rid of his contract.

4) Chicago - I probably like Zach LaVine more than others and now that he only has 2 years left on the deal, I would be interested....this is assuming he's healthy or is expected to be ready to go by training camp....However, I would only take that contract if we're getting Caruso or Patrick Williams in the deal.

5) Memphis - Marcus Smart

6) Utah - John Collins and possibly Jordan Clarkson. I've always liked John Collins and think he would be a great fit on this team. only 1 year plus a player option left on his deal. Clarkson has 2 years left at reasonable dollars.

7) Golden St. - Andrew Wiggins. I would have some interest, but not giving up more than a 1st round pick (not Clippers).

my ideal situation is to trade for 2-3 guys and sign 1-2 role players in FA..Andre Drummond types.

I like the three principles of your plan, but I have zero interest in Lavine, and am very wary of Ingram and Wiggins. Smart would have to come incredibly cheap.

Fair. I'm wary of Ingram and Wiggins as well. Wouldn't give up much to get them. I'm sure I'm one of the few who would consider LaVine, but as I said there would be several conditions attached to it.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,273

Post#489 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 5, 2024 2:44 pm

Even though we haven't done anything, kudos to Morey for us even having this level optionality at this point. I can't say I thought we'd be in this position anytime soon after the botched Butler/Tobias/Horford offseason.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#490 » by stormi » Sun May 5, 2024 2:52 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Even though we haven't done anything, kudos to Morey for us even having this level optionality at this point. I can't say I thought we'd be in this position anytime soon after the botched Butler/Tobias/Horford offseason.

I'm still skeptical that he can build me a roster that instills confidence in time for the season to begin.

I'm tempering expectations, but I'm sure by draft night we'll have a much clearer picture.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 848

Post#491 » by zaz102 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:03 pm

Here's my preliminary, mostly unrealistic, offseason plan.

1) Trade all the picks (except the '24 FRP) needed to land Markkanen.

2) Sign the following FAs via capspace:
DeRozan (~$23M)
Batum (~$8M)
Lowry (~$7M)
Drummond ($5M)

3) Sign Oubre using the exception ($8M).

4) Sign all the best minimums you can get:
Melton?/Payne/Walker/Fonteccio/ etc.

5) Max Maxey.

Embiid / Drummond
Markkanen & Oubre / Batum
Maxey & DeRozan / Lowry
davesilver
Junior
And1: 206

Post#492 » by davesilver » Sun May 5, 2024 3:09 pm

zaz102 wrote:Here's my preliminary, mostly unrealistic, offseason plan.

1) Trade all the picks (except the '24 FRP) needed to land Markkanen.

2) Sign the following FAs via capspace:
DeRozan (~$23M)
Batum (~$8M)
Lowry (~$7M)
Drummond ($5M)

3) Sign Oubre using the exception ($8M).

4) Sign all the best minimums you can get:
Melton?/Payne/Walker/Fonteccio/ etc.

5) Max Maxey.

Embiid / Drummond
Markkanen & Oubre / Batum
Maxey & DeRozan / Lowry

Realistic and I like it
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,713

Post#493 » by FireMorey » Sun May 5, 2024 3:09 pm

Curious if Morey plans to shop that 16th pick(along with others). Something could happen draft night, I suppose.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#494 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 3:30 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Arsenal wrote:I wonder if Jalen Smith can start at PF. Apparently he was in Indy until they acquired Siakam.

Smith at around MLE money ($12m / yr) is a potential breakout candidate if he can start at PF next to Jo, then slide to backup C when Jo is out.

I would think about it.

My concern with Smith is I think he's a stationary defender as opposed to a motion defender. Stationary defenders are better suited at C. Probably doesn't have the ability to hold up defensively at PF going up against the likes of Tatum, Butler, Banchero, Antetokounmpo, etc. We'd be at a matchup disadvantage against every Eastern team other than Cleveland (who play twin bigs).

That's my concern as well. If he can hold up defending on the perimeter against big wings then he could be a good option. If not, then he's just a backup center which isn't as valuable.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#495 » by Arsenal » Sun May 5, 2024 3:32 pm

M2J wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
ZarcMumoff wrote:Two important pieces, as far as the Sixers roster goes:

1. What is the prognosis with Melton's back and how does that impact his market? His cap hold is $15 million, but could Philly get him on something like a 1+1 prove it deal worth $10 million/yearly? Could open up $5 million in cap space if so.

2. Is Kelly Oubre open to doing a Bobby Portis? Come back using the room exception so $8 million, but then getting a 4/64 (rough math) the following year?

If both happen, you have a bit more flexibility.

I’m not paying Melton $10m with his health in question. Vet min with a player option so he keeps his bird rights to get paid in case he bounces back.

Oubre for room exception would be good.

On a 1 year controlled deal, Melton worth that flyer unless his 1 year deal prevents a better signing.

I'm not giving him $10m in cap if we are an under-the-cap team. If we figure out a way to stay over the cap then $10m for one year is fine via Bird Rights.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,577

Post#496 » by GoSixersBro » Sun May 5, 2024 3:38 pm

brannigan73 wrote:Just no on Kyrie Irving. We need a bigger guard to match with Maxey and not a guy who will be looking to superscede Maxey and shoot the ball a ton. Remember the Maverics are Donicic and Irving and besides those two guys Tim Hardaway Jr is the only guy who is aggressive shooting the ball on that team so there are plenty of shots to go around. Kyrie is also a super bad dude. If we want to bring in bad dudes Id rather bring in the guy in Charlotte who slugged his girlfriend lol. He'd be a perfect 4 for the Sixers. A couple of firsts could get it done maybe.

What on Earth has Kyrie done to be compared to a domestic abuser?

Note: I want nothing to do with him on this line-up however. He certainly makes zero sense next to Maxey.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,104

Post#497 » by sixers hoops » Sun May 5, 2024 3:39 pm

ZarcMumoff wrote:Two important pieces, as far as the Sixers roster goes:

1. What is the prognosis with Melton's back and how does that impact his market? His cap hold is $15 million, but could Philly get him on something like a 1+1 prove it deal worth $10 million/yearly? Could open up $5 million in cap space if so.

2. Is Kelly Oubre open to doing a Bobby Portis? Come back using the room exception so $8 million, but then getting a 4/64 (rough math) the following year?

If both happen, you have a bit more flexibility.

He has stress fractures in his back. Basically, his back was inflamed and the spine started to fracture with a bunch of tiny breaks. Embiid, Okafor, Shaun Livingston, and Caris Levert also had stress fractures in their backs. Embiid missed the end of his college season because of the stress fractures.

If caught early enough, rest can heal stress fractures in the back. Often they want to find the mechanical reason why they are occurring, and make changes to prevent the stress on the area.

Fortunately for the Sixers, they have the best insight into the seriousness of his injury, and can make an informed decision going forward. He hasn’t been able to demonstrate that he is completely healed, and until that point, any team would take a massive risk by signing him long term.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#498 » by sixers hoops » Sun May 5, 2024 3:46 pm

brannigan73 wrote:Just no on Kyrie Irving. We need a bigger guard to match with Maxey and not a guy who will be looking to superscede Maxey and shoot the ball a ton. Remember the Maverics are Donicic and Irving and besides those two guys Tim Hardaway Jr is the only guy who is aggressive shooting the ball on that team so there are plenty of shots to go around. Kyrie is also a super bad dude. If we want to bring in bad dudes Id rather bring in the guy in Charlotte who slugged his girlfriend lol. He'd be a perfect 4 for the Sixers. A couple of firsts could get it done maybe.

Are you just saying this randomly? Kyrie is likely not even available and I haven’t heard his name connected to the Sixers. Maybe I’m overlooking something.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,273

Post#499 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 5, 2024 3:47 pm

stormi wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Even though we haven't done anything, kudos to Morey for us even having this level optionality at this point. I can't say I thought we'd be in this position anytime soon after the botched Butler/Tobias/Horford offseason.

I'm still skeptical that he can build me a roster that instills confidence in time for the season to begin.

I'm tempering expectations, but I'm sure by draft night we'll have a much clearer picture.

Fair. I feel like he does well with big swings except for the WB/CP3 trade, which he may have been pressured into.

His smaller FA signings and trades have been underwhelming though. Nailed the Houston Covington trade and Melton trade (sans injuries), but then the Tucker/House signings and Buddy trade were underwhelming.

Big summer not only for the Sixers, but also Morey's legacy.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#500 » by sixers hoops » Sun May 5, 2024 3:52 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:New plan:

1) Trade four 1sts for Lauri.
2) Steal Anunoby away from New York. Offer him a 4-year, $160 mil deal and see if NYK matches.
3) Re-sign Melton with remaining cap space (1-year, ~$6 mil).
4) Sign Oubre with room exception (~$8 mil).
5) Sign Lowry, Batum (or someone else if he retires), and Drummond to vet min deals.

Maxey/Lowry
Melton/Council
Anunoby/Oubre
Markkanen/Batum
Embiid/Drummond

I would say only four firsts for Lauri is prob not realistic. We are going to get dragged on that one or we aren’t getting him. I think 5 firsts would be enough of an overpay that Ainge couldn’t turn it down.

Also, NY will match the OG offer. They gave up a nice amount to get him and knew what it would take to re-sign him. They aren’t letting him walk.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers