ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#101 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:31 am

SixthStreet wrote:Given that our Embiid window is down to getting one fortunate run, signing George for his max is something I'm willing to go for at this point. That would leave the draft picks available to make down roster upgrades in trade.

I would not sign and trade for him to pay him more money and give the Clippers back anything of value though.
We'd regret that. Paul George isn't moving the needle at this point in his career and he'd just end up being an aging albatross that we're stuck with.

Embiid will be older and ringless with even more health/toughness concerns in two years and we'll wish we cashed out on him now. Any competent organization would recognize that trading him should be a priority this summer.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,569

Post#102 » by youngcrev » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:35 am

ankle420breaker wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Given that our Embiid window is down to getting one fortunate run, signing George for his max is something I'm willing to go for at this point. That would leave the draft picks available to make down roster upgrades in trade.

I would not sign and trade for him to pay him more money and give the Clippers back anything of value though.
We'd regret that. Paul George isn't moving the needle at this point in his career and he'd just end up being an aging albatross that we're stuck with.

Embiid will be older and ringless with even more health/toughness concerns in two years and we'll wish we cashed out on him now. Any competent organization would recognize that trading him should be a priority this summer.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

How is Paul George not a needle a mover?
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,262

Post#103 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:08 am

I think if we had Paul George, even at age 34, instead of Tobias Harris right now we'd be advancing. Not saying he'd automatically make us better than Boston, but he's a huge Tobias upgrade.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#104 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:21 am

Going older can never be the solution though.
We got Harden at 32 and that was pushing it, but he is a guard more skilled than George, this dude will come here and decline fast. We tried with 32 y.o Harden and you guys here pretending we will get it done with 34 y.o George, pure delusion, all to hang on that Embiid hope. If you want to try again with Embiid, at least go younger.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,538

Post#105 » by Jailblazers7 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:56 am

I just hope we find an Aaron Gordon or Derrick White style trade at some point. Star hunting is cool & all but it’s tough to build a team when you’re always paying top dollar for talent.

The closest thing available to that style of trade is probably Brandon Ingram. Clearly a guy who’s not a fit as a top 2 guy on a championship team but talented as hell. Probably a bad idea tho because he doesn’t have the same role player traits like Gordon as a stellar athlete, rebounder, and defender.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,941

Post#106 » by XtremeDunkz » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:19 am

Throw a max offer to Siakam.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,960

Post#107 » by Mik317 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:24 am

IDK what we should do lol

Morey is supposed to be THE WIZARD...time for him to prove he's a problem then.

A good GM would be able to find some under appreciated players. I'd take a flyer on Malik Monk for example and hope he can scale up and not die on defense. Need to find a big four who can stretch the floor and again not die on defense so that way he can play next to Biid AND also play some 5 in a pinch. Got to get more athletic in general. And while having shooters is obviously needed its moreso about guys who aren't afraid to let it fly...we've had too many guys who seem to be trying to keep their % more than anything. Oubre fit a lot of those boxes this offseason and most people were down on the signing.....myself included IIRC. Those type of signings will be the important ones.

I worry about chasing stars yet again, getting one and him either falling off a cliff or just not having enough bench yet again...or both. KD replacing Tobias' role would be neat but he seemed to not enjoy said role w/ the Suns sooooo. I don't hate PG. Love his game actually but another guy with playoff demons to beat ehhh...and I wouldn't leave LA if I was him anyway. DeRozan's lack of 3pter is scary but dude is a bucket getter and we need those...became an underated passer too. Ingram feels like Skinny and High Tobias IMO. Mitchell is intriguing as his athleticism and length could make up for the short backcourt but I feel like he has eyes on NY or BK..and we'd be outbid easily. You don't say no to LeBron but it would be our luck to get him and Father Time comes to collect ha...would feel a bit icky tho and I'd have to erase some slander.

I feel like tho what I'd do (get younger and more athletic), what we probably will do (Chase stars and fill out the roster with scraps...again) and what we should do (IDK lol) is different. Each has it downsides and risks...but thats where we are at...this is all about building a roster that can have a flukey run more than building a dynasty at this stage. Better Basketball Minds should be able to find that pathway
#NeverGonnaBeGood
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,604

Post#108 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:38 am

Of course he's going to chase stars. That's all he knows. He's not a team builder.

I would not be surprised if he can't land a star that he ends up signing and trading for a bunch of guys on 1 year contracts and waiting until the trade deadline or 2025. If he does that, Embiid should demand a trade.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#109 » by SixthStreet » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:36 am

It's a lazy analysis of Morey's career to say he chases stars. In fact, for most of Harden's Houston career, the rosters were specifically a single star roster. He routinely displayed the ability to win on smaller trades, finding second round rotation players, and signing non-star players to positive value contracts in free agency. Furthermore, he has also shown that ability in his Sixers tenure. The trades for Melton and Curry and signing of Oubre are indicative of that. We've drafted well outside the first round too. Admittedly have pissed away some of those finds though.

Now, I will admit that I also wonder if that Morey is washed and that he'll opt for the lazy route of signing/trading for an over the hill star. But given the opportunity to build a roster unshackled from the Harris contract I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm cautiously hopeful. I think if he has to dip into the non-star market he'll make some signings that provide neutral to surplus value on cap expenditure that preserve future optionality. I don't think he's going to build a roster around Embiid, Maxey, an old third star, and 30+ year old vets on sub-exception contracts.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,604

Post#110 » by NYSixersFan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:40 am

Didn't he trade for CP3 and Westbrook in Houston?
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,531

Post#111 » by elchengue20 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:41 am

SixthStreet wrote:It's a lazy analysis of Morey's career to say he chases stars. In fact, for most of Harden's Houston career, the rosters were specifically a single star roster. He routinely displayed the ability to win on smaller trades, finding second round rotation players, and signing non-star players to positive value contracts in free agency. Furthermore, he has also shown that ability in his Sixers tenure. The trades for Melton and Curry and signing of Oubre are indicative of that. We've drafted well outside the first round too. Admittedly have pissed away some of those finds though.

Now, I will admit that I also wonder if that Morey is washed and that he'll opt for the lazy route of signing/trading for an over the hill star. But given the opportunity to build a roster unshackled from the Harris contract I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I'm cautiously hopeful. I think if he has to dip into the non-star market he'll make some signings that provide neutral to surplus value on cap expenditure that preserve future optionality. I don't think he's going to build a roster around Embiid, Maxey, an old third star, and 30+ year old vets on sub-exception contracts.

Lol people saying he only chases stars don't have a clue. You dont give the best team ever assembled in GSW a run for their money only because you landed Harden and CP3. They had a good team with solid role players at the moment like Capela, Ariza, Gordon, PJ Tucker, Gerald Green, Nene. Also their schemes and playstyle was a good fit for those players.

Given the circunstances, he has built a good roster this season. This isn't even the season we are suposed to be all-in, we now will have Tobias finally off the books, multiple picks available to trade and a lot of cap room.

This is his most important off season. Watching his track record here i'm optimistic he can build a very nice team. Then obviously it's all going to fall on Biid's health in his 30's and mental growth. But that's the path we have choosen to walk and everybody seems fine with it.

The dream scenario is he gets some undervalued players and they explode here. But i'm not mad either if he goes with PG13. We don't need him to be even be the 2nd best player here, i think he can fill for the 3rd best player (MPJ role) pretty well for a couple of years. Embiid's window won't last much longer anyways. And even in his older form he's a huge upgrade over Tobias.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,098

Post#112 » by Embiid P » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:44 am

SixthStreet wrote:It's a lazy analysis of Morey's career to say he chases stars. In fact, for most of Harden's Houston career, the rosters were specifically a single star roster. He routinely displayed the ability to win on smaller trades, finding second round rotation players, and signing non-star players to positive value contracts in free agency. Furthermore, he has also shown that ability in his Sixers tenure. The trades for Melton and Curry and signing of Oubre are indicative of that. We've drafted well outside the first round too. Admittedly have pissed away some of those finds though.

Rather than trade for an older star that's ready to decline or an already established youngish star (extremely hard to do barring a trade demand by said star not to mention expensive as hell) I think our best bet is to try to trade for a young player that's potentially ready to breakout if given the opportunity. Sort of like the Pacers trading for Haliburton before the 2022 deadline which allowed him to become the star that he is today. Some of these teams with a boatload of young talent won't be able to keep them all long term due to the second luxury tax apron. Thus we should try to use our assets to poach one of them. Looking at rosters like San Antonio and Detroit for instance. Who would fit such criteria?
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#113 » by SixthStreet » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:17 am

NYSixersFan wrote:Didn't he trade for CP3 and Westbrook in Houston?

How many years was he GM in Houston? There's your answer. Additionally, the Westbrook trade is well known to have been forced by ownership.

The CP3 trade would have KOed one of the greatest champions in modern history if a 0-17 3P shooting in a 4th quarter would have been 1-17.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,203

Post#114 » by M2J » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:23 am

Embiid P wrote:

Rather than trade for an older star that's ready to decline or an already established youngish star (extremely hard to do barring a trade demand by said star not to mention expensive as hell) I think our best bet is to try to trade for a young player that's potentially ready to breakout if given the opportunity. Sort of like the Pacers trading for Haliburton before the 2022 deadline which allowed him to become the star that he is today. Some of these teams with a boatload of young talent won't be able to keep them all long term due to the second luxury tax apron. Thus we should try to use our assets to poach one of them. Looking at rosters like San Antonio and Detroit for instance. Who would fit such criteria?

Trey Murphy III, Moses Moody, Josh Green, some of that stuff in Detroit, Keegan Murray, jabari Smith, Okongwu, Cam Whitmore...
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,785

Post#115 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:46 am

I don't see Morey betting on a guy who theoretically could break out; it's more likely going to be someone who's battle-tested. We need someone proven because the window closes by 2026 or 2027. This team doesn't have time to wait and take such a theoretical risk.

I think both Siakam or Paul George can still be good to very good from day 1 to year 2 or 3.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#116 » by Bum Adebayo » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:45 am

elchengue20 wrote:

Then obviously it's all going to fall on Biid's health in his 30's and mental growth.

Good luck with that.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,092

Post#117 » by mjkvol » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:32 am

Agree with this. The idea that Morey is a star hunter and little else is shot down with even a bit of analysis of his acquisitions both at Houston and here. To me, his biggest mistakes here were not schiitcanning Glenn before last season and not finding a way to get Tobias off this roster, thus hamstringing Nurse. But finding a deal for a player no one wants despite the national media love was probably a long shot anyway.

I don't think it's even fair to judge Morey's tenure here until we see what transpires this off season. I know what direction I'd like to see us go - find a couple of undervalued younger pieces that need a new home, ala Aaron Gordon, and fill out the roster with solid role players around Embiid and Maxey, but that is clearly a much more difficult goal to achieve.

If it is going to be star hunting, Siakam is the best bet IMO. Younger, fills a huge need, familiar with Nurse, and can carry those non-Embiid minutes. George has disaster written all over him, and would probably lead to the end of the Embiid era in an ugly way.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,092

Post#118 » by mjkvol » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:35 am

My strong recommendation to everyone on this forum is to put the two trolls on 'ignore', so this place doesn't become the ghost town it seems to be headed for. Ignore them and just don't respond to them. I hate going that route, but they are completely toxic to any kind of good conversation. I did it a while ago, and only see their posts when someone takes the bait and responds to them. Put them on 'ignore' and don't respond, and they will disappear.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,525

Post#119 » by eyeatoma » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:37 am

mjkvol wrote:My strong recommendation to everyone on this forum is to put the two trolls on 'ignore', so this place doesn't become the ghost town it seems to be headed for. Ignore them and just don't respond to them. I hate going that route, but they are completely toxic to any kind of good conversation. I did it a while ago, and only see their posts when someone takes the bait and responds to them. Put them on 'ignore' and don't respond, and they will disappear.
We need more people to report them.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#120 » by sixers4real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:39 am

mjkvol wrote:My strong recommendation to everyone on this forum is to put the two trolls on 'ignore', so this place doesn't become the ghost town it seems to be headed for. Ignore them and just don't respond to them. I hate going that route, but they are completely toxic to any kind of good conversation. I did it a while ago, and only see their posts when someone takes the bait and responds to them. Put them on 'ignore' and don't respond, and they will disappear.

Agreed. Been doing that for the last two years, Although I don’t post quite often.

But I always read you guys:)
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers