** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,327

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#781 » by Arsenal » Wed May 8, 2024 7:14 pm

Black Mage wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Which one would you prefer?

1) Paul George for the MAX of $50m year one - leaves around $13m of cap space.

2) Miles Bridges for $25m year one - leaves around $38m of cap space.

Gotta be honest, I'm not sure which is better. Depends what we could get with the extra $25m of space.

I just don't see the Nets giving Bridges away without exacting a high price. I would rather get Ingram on cheap from NOLA; grab Murray to shore up our lead guard/defensive guard position and if Mikal becomes more "gettable" mid-season then empty the chest.

As for Jimmy, I see Pat making these statements intentionally to provoke Jimmy. I think Pat knows he doesn't want to extend Jimmy. I think he knows there won't be much of a market for Jimmy and any trade would be seen as selling pennies on the dollar. I think Pat is provoking Jimmy so Jimmy torches the building and then Riley can dump him and come away with clean hands.

The choice is between Paul George and Miles Bridges of Charlotte via cap, not Mikal Bridges via trade.

Which one do you prefer?
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#782 » by Arsenal » Wed May 8, 2024 7:17 pm

FireMorey wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I'd rather have Miles Bridges for 25m than George for 50m. But I really don't want Miles Bridges either. I really don't see great options. I think getting Jimmy Butler in a trade and not giving up much is the best of bad options.

Even Ingram, you'd have to give up a lot for him and also give him a new max contract. I don't like that either.

I disagree on Ingram. Reports are all over that NOLA doesn't want to extend him; they want to extend 2 other players. They already have high cap hits from CJ and Zion to the tune of $70mil. If they bring back Jonas that's $85 mil or so. Ingram is going to be a new CBA cap casualty this off season. The Sixers being able to absorb his entire contract without sending anything back has immense value for NOLA and I think they end up paying a premium to dump Ingram.

NOLA has a ton of draft capital; they could offer up their own picks and still have valuable picks from LAL or Milwaukee. I could see Sixers sending a 2nd for Ingram and one of the Milwaukee swaps.

I think some desperate team out there will think he will be good for them. Even if they can get him for cheap though, I wouldn't want him, because I don't think he gets them over the hump. This big move is supposed to be the move that gets the Sixers over the hump. If not, I don't see why anyone would want to do it even if it can be done at a good price. When the Sixers get bounced early in the playoffs again, no one's going to care if they got him for a couple 2nd rounders or a conditional 1st.

I don't want to burn assets to get Brandon Ingram. But if we get him for nothing or even better, NOP gives us picks to take him, then hell yeah sign me up. If it doesn't work out, oh well just trade him later.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,061

Post#783 » by Negrodamus » Wed May 8, 2024 7:17 pm

I think everyone here needs to be prepared for a mercenary FA where we take some geriatric stars hunting for a championship for 2 years. I don't think Morey wants to part with draft picks as there will be a life after Embiid and Maxey will still be in his mid 20s. Going the mercenary route for Tyrese's entire career definitely won't work. Additionally we'll need cheap, talented players on long term contracts while paying these mercenaries. I think Morey would only part with picks + swaps if someone like Luka demands out.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,699

Post#784 » by FireMorey » Wed May 8, 2024 7:24 pm

Arsenal wrote:
FireMorey wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
I disagree on Ingram. Reports are all over that NOLA doesn't want to extend him; they want to extend 2 other players. They already have high cap hits from CJ and Zion to the tune of $70mil. If they bring back Jonas that's $85 mil or so. Ingram is going to be a new CBA cap casualty this off season. The Sixers being able to absorb his entire contract without sending anything back has immense value for NOLA and I think they end up paying a premium to dump Ingram.

NOLA has a ton of draft capital; they could offer up their own picks and still have valuable picks from LAL or Milwaukee. I could see Sixers sending a 2nd for Ingram and one of the Milwaukee swaps.

I think some desperate team out there will think he will be good for them. Even if they can get him for cheap though, I wouldn't want him, because I don't think he gets them over the hump. This big move is supposed to be the move that gets the Sixers over the hump. If not, I don't see why anyone would want to do it even if it can be done at a good price. When the Sixers get bounced early in the playoffs again, no one's going to care if they got him for a couple 2nd rounders or a conditional 1st.

I don't want to burn assets to get Brandon Ingram. But if we get him for nothing or even better, NOP gives us picks to take him, then hell yeah sign me up. If it doesn't work out, oh well just trade him later.

But that would prevent you from adding one of the other guys available. If Ingram is a last resort, I'd be ok with it if they could get him cheap, but only if all the other moves strike out. I'd honestly rather have Paul George than Ingram probably, though it's close. I wouldn't want either.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,584

Post#785 » by Black Mage » Wed May 8, 2024 7:47 pm

FireMorey wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I'd rather have Miles Bridges for 25m than George for 50m. But I really don't want Miles Bridges either. I really don't see great options. I think getting Jimmy Butler in a trade and not giving up much is the best of bad options.

Even Ingram, you'd have to give up a lot for him and also give him a new max contract. I don't like that either.

Name me the teams that have cap space to absorb Ingram w/out money going back.
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,493

Post#786 » by mksp » Wed May 8, 2024 8:15 pm

Stanford wrote:
sixers4real wrote:
mksp wrote:Paul George, 35 year old Jimmy Butler, Russell Westbrook, Miles Bridges (who should be in jail)....

This offseason is going to kill me.

Okay now, you’re Morey.

What are you doing?
Step by step.

I don't really think that's fair to ask of mksp, guy on message board.

Especially because me, guy on message board, would probably just trade Embiid at this point, before it's too late.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#787 » by brannigan73 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:35 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I think everyone here needs to be prepared for a mercenary FA where we take some geriatric stars hunting for a championship for 2 years. I don't think Morey wants to part with draft picks as there will be a life after Embiid and Maxey will still be in his mid 20s. Going the mercenary route for Tyrese's entire career definitely won't work. Additionally we'll need cheap, talented players on long term contracts while paying these mercenaries. I think Morey would only part with picks + swaps if someone like Luka demands out.

There is a good chance all of those guys sign with there own teams. Also there is no scenario under the sun where we don't relinquish some firsts to acquire players. Stars do not just sign into cap space. That requires them to get less money then they would receive signing with there old teams and then getting traded which they never do. To facilitate that there former teams get something even if its less then there full value. Jimmy Butler or Paul George I would guesstimate will cost us at least 2 firsts. Why do we keep having this dumb conversation? Do we not know how the NBA works. Do we not know that the Heat gave us some stuff for Butler when we lost him lol.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,699

Post#788 » by FireMorey » Wed May 8, 2024 8:51 pm

Black Mage wrote:
FireMorey wrote:
Black Mage wrote:

Why is it limited to teams with cap space? Maybe a team without cap space will want him and trade players plus picks for him.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#789 » by Arsenal » Wed May 8, 2024 9:00 pm

brannigan73 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:I think everyone here needs to be prepared for a mercenary FA where we take some geriatric stars hunting for a championship for 2 years. I don't think Morey wants to part with draft picks as there will be a life after Embiid and Maxey will still be in his mid 20s. Going the mercenary route for Tyrese's entire career definitely won't work. Additionally we'll need cheap, talented players on long term contracts while paying these mercenaries. I think Morey would only part with picks + swaps if someone like Luka demands out.

There is a good chance all of those guys sign with there own teams. Also there is no scenario under the sun where we don't relinquish some firsts to acquire players. Stars do not just sign into cap space. That requires them to get less money then they would receive signing with there old teams and then getting traded which they never do. To facilitate that there former teams get something even if its less then there full value. Jimmy Butler or Paul George I would guesstimate will cost us at least 2 firsts. Why do we keep having this dumb conversation? Do we not know how the NBA works. Do we not know that the Heat gave us some stuff for Butler when we lost him lol.

The flaw in your logic is that the Clippers haven't offered Paul George the MAX. As long as that's the case we can offer him more money than they can. The money difference is also increased in our favor due to Pennsylvania's much lower state income tax versus California's extortionate rates. I haven't done the math but that could mean our MAX is higher than their MAX too once you factor in the tax burden.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#790 » by Arsenal » Wed May 8, 2024 9:02 pm

Kermit chimes in on PG + Embiid pairing!

Read on Twitter
Doramas
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#791 » by Doramas » Wed May 8, 2024 9:03 pm

mksp wrote:
Stanford wrote:
sixers4real wrote:Okay now, you’re Morey.

What are you doing?
Step by step.

I don't really think that's fair to ask of mksp, guy on message board.

Especially because me, guy on message board, would probably just trade Embiid at this point, before it's too late.

I fully agree. I think that would be the best thing to do, but I know it's not very popular to say so.
:nod:
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#792 » by Arsenal » Wed May 8, 2024 9:13 pm

Sixers now the odds-on favorite to land Paul George! 33% chance versus only 25% chance for 2nd place Clips!!!

https://bookies.com/nba/picks/paul-george-next-team-odds
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#793 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed May 8, 2024 9:21 pm

Arsenal wrote:Sixers now the odds-on favorite to land Paul George! 33% chance versus only 25% chance for 2nd place Clips!!!

https://bookies.com/nba/picks/paul-george-next-team-odds

Traded James Harden for Paul George, 2026 OKC/HOU 1st, 2028 LAC 1st, and 2029 LAC 1st swap

:P

Time will tell, hoping it's the move based on the current market/landscape.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,987

Post#794 » by Stanford » Wed May 8, 2024 9:44 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:Traded James Harden for Paul George, 2026 OKC/HOU 1st, 2028 LAC 1st, and 2029 LAC 1st swap

I know you're being facetious, but that's an interesting perspective. Every one of us would have killed to get George for Harden last year.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,224

Post#795 » by Kobblehead » Wed May 8, 2024 10:13 pm

If we're going to waste on max on old ass star, go all-in on LeBron. At least his cares about basketball. Not feeling Paul George.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,582

Post#796 » by youngcrev » Wed May 8, 2024 10:48 pm

Stanford wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:Traded James Harden for Paul George, 2026 OKC/HOU 1st, 2028 LAC 1st, and 2029 LAC 1st swap

I know you're being facetious, but that's an interesting perspective. Every one of us would have killed to get George for Harden last year.

Right? I was even willing to include Tobias...
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#797 » by Black Mage » Wed May 8, 2024 10:49 pm

Arsenal wrote:Kermit chimes in on PG + Embiid pairing!

Read on Twitter

He's not wrong. PG13 is a mental midget in the playoffs. He's a 1b or 2a to Ben Simmons. The only thing I hope for is that Joel and Maxey can carry the pail of water and all he needs to do is defend, rebound and shoot 3's.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#798 » by youngcrev » Wed May 8, 2024 10:52 pm

I still think Paul George is a high end outcome, though I'm slightly less excited about the idea with all the talk about him.

Battle of the low end outcome 3rd stars:

DeRozan vs Ingram

Give me DeMar. Not interested in being in the Brandon Ingram business in terms of trading assets or commiting to him long-term as the 3rd guy. DeMar is a better player currently, and probably doesn't require crazy long-term money. Save the assets for something better.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#799 » by youngcrev » Wed May 8, 2024 10:54 pm

Kobblehead wrote:If we're going to waste on max on old ass star, go all-in on LeBron. At least his cares about basketball. Not feeling Paul George.

I'm sure if that were actually on the table they would.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant

Post#800 » by Black Mage » Wed May 8, 2024 10:55 pm

FireMorey wrote:
Black Mage wrote:
FireMorey wrote:

Why is it limited to teams with cap space? Maybe a team without cap space will want him and trade players plus picks for him.

It's limited to cap space because cap space or a trade exception is more valuable under the new CBA. It's very unlikely any team is going to offer a pupu-platter package of players that NOLA would even want.

A trade exception gives NOLA complete flexibility to take back an entire contract or even sending out less money and bringing back a bigger contract. It's just better options for NOLA to take nothing back.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers