Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#141 » by sixers4real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:17 pm

76ciology wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
sixers4real wrote:Let’s imagine a scenario where we sign Siakam for max and re-sign Maxey for max.

What happens with our cap space?
We can only sign minimums with two exceptions?
For how much can we resign Oubre?

I believe we start with $67m in open cap space with Embiid + Maxey cap hold + 1st rounder cap hold.

Sign Siakam to MAX of $42m, leaves $26m of open cap left (after adding back $1m empty roster cap hold).

That should be enough to sign two more starters with the rest of the cap room (e.g. Oubre for $10m and another guy for $18m after add back two more open roster holds of $1m each).

Then sign a 6th man with the Room Exception (Hield? Another shooter?).

That gives us 7 guys: Embiid, Maxey, 1st rounder, Siakam, Two more starters, 6th man

Also include Ricky Council who is basically a min so that makes 8 guys.

Then I assume we sign 5 vet mins to complete the roster (hopefully Lowry comes back and Batum if we're lucky).

Last move is MAXing out Maxey after all other moves are completed.

The team would be short on depth to begin with. But once the season starts and newly signed contracts are tradable, we can package players and picks to build depth.

Then the following summer we should have exceptions available to continue building the roster.

Depth is easy to take care off. The important for me is finding the perfect guy for both Maxey and Embiid.

Im open to anyone, including adding Hartenstein or Jalen Smith, but its just I think Siakam is the best fit for now.

Agreed. Nurse connection makes it even sweeter.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,104

Post#142 » by Embiid P » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:22 pm

76ciology wrote:I don't see Morey betting on a guy who theoretically could break out; it's more likely going to be someone who's battle-tested. We need someone proven because the window closes by 2026 or 2027. This team doesn't have time to wait and take such a theoretical risk.

I think both Siakam or Paul George can still be good to very good from day 1 to year 2 or 3.

And both will start to decline very soon if they aren't already. I really don't want to go the Harden/Webber 2.0 route since it seems like trading for older stars never pans out for us. My dream scenario is if someone younger like Booker, Luka or LaMelo becomes available but it's extremely unlikely that any will become available. Hence why it is best IMO to take a risk on an unproven young player with potential.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#143 » by sixers4real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:35 pm

Embiid P wrote:
76ciology wrote:I don't see Morey betting on a guy who theoretically could break out; it's more likely going to be someone who's battle-tested. We need someone proven because the window closes by 2026 or 2027. This team doesn't have time to wait and take such a theoretical risk.

I think both Siakam or Paul George can still be good to very good from day 1 to year 2 or 3.

And both will start to decline very soon if they aren't already. I really don't want to go the Harden/Webber 2.0 route since it seems like trading for older stars never pans out for us. My dream scenario is if someone younger like Booker, Luka or LaMelo becomes available but it's extremely unlikely that any will become available. Hence why it is best IMO to take a risk on an unproven young player with potential.

What’s your scenario when we don’t get Luka, Booker or LaMelo?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,818

Post#144 » by 76ciology » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:35 pm

sixers4real wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

Maybe Bronny James

8-)
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#145 » by sixers4real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:40 pm

76ciology wrote:
sixers4real wrote:
Embiid P wrote:

Maybe Bronny James

8-)

I’m sure Daryl exploring that option also. And I love it. Why not
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,073

Post#146 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:17 pm

Read on Twitter

We're probably not a threat to get Ingram tbh.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#147 » by sixers4real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:22 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Am I the only one who’s heard “we’ve head enough (of Ingram)”
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#148 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:28 pm

sixers4real wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yea, but they probably want something for him, not picks. I mean, have they even finished with the picks they got from the Anthony Davis trade yet?
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#149 » by sixers4real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:39 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
sixers4real wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yea, but they probably want something for him, not picks. I mean, have they even finished with the picks they got from the Anthony Davis trade yet?

Fair enough. You’re right
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#150 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:50 pm

sixers4real wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
sixers4real wrote:Am I the only one who’s heard “we’ve head enough (of Ingram)”

But now that I think about it, a 3-way trade of Trae Young, Brandon Ingram, and Sixers/Pelican picks would work around draft time. The valuation would need to be worked out. I'm not sure if the Hawks are ready to give up on the Trae Young experiment (or if Trae is done with it), but he's another guy who would benefit greatly from having Zion as his runningmate.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#151 » by Embiid P » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:57 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
sixers4real wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

But now that I think about it, a 3-way trade of Trae Young, Brandon Ingram, and Sixers/Pelican picks would work around draft time. The valuation would need to be worked out. I'm not sure if the Hawks are ready to give up on the Trae Young experiment (or if Trae is done with it), but he's another guy who would benefit greatly from having Zion as his runningmate.

TBH I would rather take a chance on a youngish semi-star like Ingram than an older star like PG13 or Siakam. That said, I don't think the Pelicans are ready to blow it up yet. Definitely don't want Trae Young who'd be a horrible fit next to Maxey.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,333

Post#152 » by Arsenal » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:00 pm

Siakam isn’t that old. Same age as Jo, so a 4 year deal gets his age 30-33 seasons. That’s a big reason why he’s the best option.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#153 » by Negrodamus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:02 pm

Embiid P wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
sixers4real wrote:Fair enough. You’re right

TBH I would rather take a chance on a youngish semi-star like Ingram than an older star like PG13 or Siakam. That said, I don't think the Pelicans are ready to blow it up yet. Definitely don't want Trae Young who'd be a horrible fit next to Maxey.

I'm saying we'd get Ingram, Pelicans get Young, Hawks get a buttload of picks.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,701

Post#154 » by FireMorey » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:04 pm

If you clear all that cap space, you better at least have some difference makers in mind that you think you have a solid chance of getting. This summer is their last real chance to get the team over the hump, if this plan ends in another dud, I don't know how anyone could defend this guy anymore. And I'll give him credit if he comes through with a masterful offseason.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,153

Post#155 » by mjkvol » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:30 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:We need more people to report them.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

They aren't going to be removed because they don't break any forum 'rules', so to speak, so reporting them is pointless. Ignore trolls and they generally disappear once they aren't getting the rise they live for. The Embiid thread has become a troll-athon between the two of them. Let that be their only discourse.

Don't flatter yourself. I couldn't care less about any "rise" any of you all have here. I respectfully post what I want as means of expressing myself and my thoughts about the team. "You" are not a part of that equation, despite that you apparently desperately want to believe you are.

At least in responding to that post you have accepted the fact that you indeed are a troll. Acceptance is the first stage of recovery. Best of luck with your journey back to normalcy.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 859

Post#156 » by Ferry Avenue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:33 pm

mjkvol wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
They aren't going to be removed because they don't break any forum 'rules', so to speak, so reporting them is pointless. Ignore trolls and they generally disappear once they aren't getting the rise they live for. The Embiid thread has become a troll-athon between the two of them. Let that be their only discourse.

Don't flatter yourself. I couldn't care less about any "rise" any of you all have here. I respectfully post what I want as means of expressing myself and my thoughts about the team. "You" are not a part of that equation, despite that you apparently desperately want to believe you are.

At least in responding to that post you have accepted the fact that you indeed are a troll. Acceptance is the first stage of recovery. Best of luck with your journey back to normalcy.

No, according to you trolls are people who post with the intent to get a rise out of others. Any rise you or others could experience is nowhere on my radar, trust me. But keep flattering yourself and imagining my posting has everything to do with you -- it's completely consistent with your narcissism that runs rampant here.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#157 » by Embiid P » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:37 pm

TBH it wouldn't shock me if Morey waited until next year's deadline to land a star given that there appears to be slim pickings in this year's free agency class. Not saying for certain that it will play out like this, but don't be shocked or overly disappointed if the big move doesn't come right away. If he doesn't make a major move by then though, I'll want him to be gone.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,594

Post#158 » by youngcrev » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:38 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:We'd regret that. Paul George isn't moving the needle at this point in his career and he'd just end up being an aging albatross that we're stuck with.

Embiid will be older and ringless with even more health/toughness concerns in two years and we'll wish we cashed out on him now. Any competent organization would recognize that trading him should be a priority this summer.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

How is Paul George not a needle a mover?
In that he doesn't make us better than Boston.... arguably not better than NY either. Too risky if it means committing to a long-term deal for an aging star on the other side of his prime.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app

I don't think it makes us better than Boston on paper, but if that's the hurdle, what does? Particularly in terms of individual moves. Not even gonna address NY, I think that's sizzling hot take.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,701

Post#159 » by FireMorey » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:42 pm

Paul George is better than nothing, but if that was THE plan Morey has cleared all this cap space for, then good grief. The guy will be 35 years old next playoffs. He has a history of injuries. The team has whiffed on aging players before. That would be the final confirmation the guy is a lost as a GM and is completely washed if he was once considered good. Do something creative with this money.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,994

Post#160 » by Mik317 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:25 pm

why would Siakam leave Indy lol. They will probably be coming off a second round series or maybe even a ECF.

They also probably will pay him the max and IIRC can pay more.
#NeverGonnaBeGood

Return to Philadelphia 76ers