ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#281 » by Arsenal » Fri May 3, 2024 5:56 pm

oldschool1 wrote:My number one target would be OG Anunoby (27 years old), He has a player option which he will decline for free agency. Fits the timeline of both Maxey and Embiid. Might be an overpay, but I think is a winning player. who compliments both Maxey and Embiid. Worse case is you force the Knicks to overpay.

Haven’t thought about him since I assume Knicks are going to pay him. But if we could get OG for around $30m per that would be a good deal and still allow us room to get other guys. However, paying him the MAX of $42m would be a mistake.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,613

Post#282 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri May 3, 2024 6:02 pm

Arsenal wrote:Here are some under-the-radar / value free agents that could be a fit as the middle-class gets squeezed under the new punitive CBA rules. Plenty will have to settle for under $10m, under $5m, or even a vet min.

Point Guard
Spencer Dinwiddie (Lakers)
Kris Dunn (Jazz)
Delon Wright (Heat)

Shooting Guard
Malik Beasley (Bucks)
Alec Burks (Knicks)
Gary Trent (Raptors)
Eric Gordon (Suns)
Lonnie Walker (Nets)
Josh Richardson (Heat)
Luke Kennard (Grizzlies)
Talen Horton-Tucker (Jazz)
Gary Harris (Magic)
Justin Holiday (Nuggets)

Small Forwards
Naji Marshall (Pelicans)
Simone Fontecchio (Pistons)
Cedi Osman (Spurs)
Haywood Highsmith (Heat)
Derrick Jones Jr. (Mavericks)
Torrey Craig (Bulls)
Jordan Nwora (Raptors)
Taurean Prince (Lakers)

Power Forwards
Kyle Anderson (Timberwolves)
Kevin Love (Heat)
Jae Crowder (Bucks)
Davis Bertans (Hornets)

Centers
Kelly Olynyk (Raptors)
Andre Drummond (Bulls)
Dario Saric (Warriors)
Jalen Smith (Pacers)
Goga Bitadze (Magic)
Daniel Theis (Clippers)
Xavier Tillman (Celtics)
James Wiseman (Pistons)

Which 4 - 5 guys should we target to fill out the roster around a presumed Big 3?

Give me Derrick Jones Jr, Kris Dunn, Lonnie Walker, Jalen Smith, and Daniel Theis and let's roll. Keep our draft pick, bring back Oubre,and Melton. I think that's how this should be played. If you can find a way to trade for Brandon Ingram then you obviously do it. If not...

Maxey/Dunn
Walker/Melton
Oubre/Derrick Jones Jr/Council
Jalen Smith/Kyle Filipowski or Tristan De Silva
Embiid/Reed/Theis
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#283 » by sixers4real » Fri May 3, 2024 6:12 pm

Okay now, I always post more during the off-season than I do in RS.

My favorite part of being of Sixers fan has just begun!

Let’s go Morey!
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,922

Post#284 » by Wilfried » Fri May 3, 2024 6:28 pm

I hope we can get Payne and Batum back, really liked what they contributed
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,607

Post#285 » by NYSixersFan » Fri May 3, 2024 6:30 pm

Paul George and Butler should be way down the list of options, but they won't be.

Not interested in giving max contract to guys in their mid 30's who are injury prone.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,694

Post#286 » by FireMorey » Fri May 3, 2024 6:53 pm

Hopefully the Clippers sign George to keep that option away from Morey and force him to deviate.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#287 » by the_process » Fri May 3, 2024 7:01 pm

FireMorey wrote:Hopefully the Clippers sign George to keep that option away from Morey and force him to deviate.

You're going to like the deviation even less than Paul George. He's not going to go look for young guys about to break out. He's not going to trade up in the draft.

You guys are basically looking to get a new GM going into a year where they have max cap room. We did this already with Colangelo. It sucked.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#288 » by sixers4real » Fri May 3, 2024 7:08 pm

If Morey don’t offer Harden the full max, I don’t expect him to offer PG 4-year max. Morey’a going it to play Morey’s style.
Hes going to offer him 2-year max and look how the Clippers offer PG full max, and PG stays there
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,607

Post#289 » by NYSixersFan » Fri May 3, 2024 7:10 pm

the_process wrote:
FireMorey wrote:Hopefully the Clippers sign George to keep that option away from Morey and force him to deviate.

You're going to like the deviation even less than Paul George. He's not going to go look for young guys about to break out. He's not going to trade up in the draft.

You guys are basically looking to get a new GM going into a year where they have max cap room. We did this already with Colangelo. It sucked.

Morey just got a contract extension, so I accept that he's not getting fired.

I'm not looking to trade up in the draft or trade for unproven young guys.

There will be plenty of options better than paying a 34 year old, injury prone Paul George a 4 year max.

Stay tuned for my masterplan.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#290 » by the_process » Fri May 3, 2024 7:23 pm

oldschool1 wrote:My number one target would be OG Anunoby (27 years old), He has a player option which he will decline for free agency. Fits the timeline of both Maxey and Embiid. Might be an overpay, but I think is a winning player. who compliments both Maxey and Embiid. Worse case is you force the Knicks to overpay.

I'd like OG, but the Knicks didn't trade for him to not pay him. You'd have to max him out to have any shot of getting him.

OG on a max would be hated here before the end of the season.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,114

Post#291 » by mjkvol » Fri May 3, 2024 7:30 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:I fully expect it to happen, but going “star” hunting and leaving this team without depth and good role players is the worst thing Morey can do this off-season. I’m more than willing to live and die with Embiid and Maxey as long as they have the right pieces around them. Try to build a cohesive team that can grow together for once.

This is my hope as well. We have our two building blocks, let's bring in some shooting, athleticism .... and youth for a change. Use both picks to draft players who might be able to contribute sooner. More opportunities are going to present themselves due to teams needing to shed salary with the new cap, so it's not as if the 4-5 players continually mentioned will be the only options. And if it takes until the deadline to complete the roster, so be it. Have some patience - the playoffs are all that matter

My greatest fear, and what I almost fully expect to happen, is that Morey is going to take the 'easy' way and max some tired "third star", trade the picks for more space, and fill out the roster with cheap players. The national media is already talking about what "stars" are available, and even the repulsive idea of James coming here.

Hoping for the best, but expecting and fearing the obvious and worst.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#292 » by FireMorey » Fri May 3, 2024 7:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,035

Post#293 » by Negrodamus » Fri May 3, 2024 7:42 pm

FireMorey wrote:
Read on Twitter

Embiid, Maxey, George, and Butler is an intriguing grouping. The problem will be Butler's contract and personality. If they can make that work, then there's a championship run in there.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#294 » by sixers4real » Fri May 3, 2024 7:49 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
FireMorey wrote:
Read on Twitter

Embiid, Maxey, George, and Butler is an intriguing grouping. The problem will be Butler's contract and personality. If they can make that work, then there's a championship run in there.

That’s impossible cap wise, isn’t it?

I’d welcome Butler back tbh
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,035

Post#295 » by Negrodamus » Fri May 3, 2024 8:02 pm

sixers4real wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
FireMorey wrote:
Read on Twitter

That’s impossible cap wise, isn’t it?

I’d welcome Butler back tbh

I imagine George would have to take a paycut. It doesn't make sense for him though. He could get more money elsewhere on a contender.
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,493

Post#296 » by mksp » Fri May 3, 2024 8:08 pm

What a terrible FA class to have all this cap space for.

No interest in PG. Or Jimmy. Would rather Morey get creative team building wise instead of star hunting. Or trade Joel finally.

I just want to root for a team that's fun again.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#297 » by Arsenal » Fri May 3, 2024 8:11 pm

There’s no way for us to get both Butler and George since they both want a MAX. It’s one or the other.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#298 » by FireMorey » Fri May 3, 2024 8:14 pm

Isn't the problem not the money but the fact that they don't have anything on the books to match salary in a trade? You can go over the cap with trades so that shouldn't be the issue. I think it's just if they signed a max guy, they wouldn't just be able to trade picks for a guy like Butler. And they literally have no salaries on the books to match Butler.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,571

Post#299 » by youngcrev » Fri May 3, 2024 8:26 pm

FireMorey wrote:Isn't the problem not the money but the fact that they don't have anything on the books to match salary in a trade? You can go over the cap with trades so that shouldn't be the issue. I think it's just if they signed a max guy, they wouldn't just be able to trade picks for a guy like Butler. And they literally have no salaries on the books to match Butler.

You can use cap space to absorb salary. Clearly they couldn't absorb his salary and still have enough to sign a guy like PG though
FireMorey
Lead Assistant

Post#300 » by FireMorey » Fri May 3, 2024 8:36 pm

youngcrev wrote:
FireMorey wrote:Isn't the problem not the money but the fact that they don't have anything on the books to match salary in a trade? You can go over the cap with trades so that shouldn't be the issue. I think it's just if they signed a max guy, they wouldn't just be able to trade picks for a guy like Butler. And they literally have no salaries on the books to match Butler.

You can use cap space to absorb salary. Clearly they couldn't absorb his salary and still have enough to sign a guy like PG though

Does absorbing salary in trades when under the cap count the same as signing outside free agents? That you can go over the cap with your own free agents but can't go over with outside. Does that apply to trades when you're under the cap as well? If so, that's really stupid.

For example, if the Sixers were over the cap right now, they could trade for Butler as long as they matched salaries within a percentage.

But if they were under the cap they wouldn't be allowed to trade for Butler if it put them over the cap? That seems completely illogical, that a team that was over the cap would have more trade freedom than a team under it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers