Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,101

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#421 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 9:08 pm

Arsenal wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
We don’t have anywhere near enough cap for both. It’s one or the other.

What are you projecting for Miles? I assumed he was still a guy most of the league would avoid.

$25-30m per year. We only have about $13m if we MAX out PG.

I would have guessed in the $15-$20 million range. I assumed teams would be scared to make a big commitment to him. Maybe high dollars and only two years, or low dollars, like the $15-$20 million range, if it’s a longer deal. This guy is one step from screwing whoever signs him over.

I don’t really have my finger on the pulse of the situation though.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#422 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 4, 2024 9:21 pm

stormi wrote:Malcolm Brogdon another one of those acquirable tertiary pieces stuck on a carousel team.

6'4/6'5 combo guard with passing, (elite) shooting, dribbling chops.

If we go the full cap space or Lauri route, I'd love to have him.

Feasibly tough if we go the big 3rd max route though.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#423 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 9:28 pm

In terms of guys in that 12-15M range, Caleb Martin could be a name to keep an eye on. The Heat cap situation is awful and they'd have a tough time retaining him if he opts out to look for a raise. Tough wing that has performed in the playoffs, though I'm sure he'd shoot like 32% from 3 here.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Post#424 » by youngcrev » Sat May 4, 2024 10:02 pm

Dario had some success as a stretch 5 for the Warriors this year. Never opposed to bringing him home for cheap.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,537

Post#425 » by elchengue20 » Sat May 4, 2024 10:07 pm

Nah, we need someone with lenght and athleticism. Drummond for the minimum is the dream.

I like Caleb Martin but i prefer to stay away from roles player on the Heat, they tend to be significatevly worse on other teams. Also, like i sayed before, we need lenght and athleticism around Biid and Maxey, and he's not a plus in those areas.

For that same reason i think Oubre should be definitevly be a keeper if the price is not crazy.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#426 » by Arsenal » Sat May 4, 2024 10:11 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Arsenal wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
What are you projecting for Miles? I assumed he was still a guy most of the league would avoid.

$25-30m per year. We only have about $13m if we MAX out PG.

I would have guessed in the $15-$20 million range. I assumed teams would be scared to make a big commitment to him. Maybe high dollars and only two years, or low dollars, like the $15-$20 million range, if it’s a longer deal. This guy is one step from screwing whoever signs him over.

I don’t really have my finger on the pulse of the situation though.

It’s not about other teams, it’s about outbidding Charlotte that sees him as a foundational piece along with Ball and Miller.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#427 » by Arsenal » Sat May 4, 2024 10:12 pm

youngcrev wrote:Dario had some success as a stretch 5 for the Warriors this year. Never opposed to bringing him home for cheap.

Love is a better and cheaper version of that archetype. His impact metrics were great for a vet min player. Would be great to get him for around $5m per.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#428 » by Arsenal » Sat May 4, 2024 10:14 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
stormi wrote:Malcolm Brogdon another one of those acquirable tertiary pieces stuck on a carousel team.

6'4/6'5 combo guard with passing, (elite) shooting, dribbling chops.

If we go the full cap space or Lauri route, I'd love to have him.

Feasibly tough if we go the big 3rd max route though.

Brogdon feels more like the final piece to acquire via trade before the deadline using a newly signed player or two and picks.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,694

Post#429 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 10:18 pm

Paul George has been widely reported to be Morey's top target this summer. Just for argument's sake, say the LAC re-sign PG. Who does everyone think becomes Morey's new top target?

Not who you would target if you were him, but who you think he will target if PG is off the board.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#430 » by FlyingArrow » Sat May 4, 2024 10:27 pm

Is it just me, or does the PG gambit seem like it wouldn't work, even if we got him?

We get a big 3, but we have two of those 3 with only about 65-75% availability due to injuries. The likelihood of having PG and Embiid both healthy in the playoffs is about as likely as having PG and Kawhi both healthy for the playoffs. Just not likely to happen. Plus... he'll be so expensive that we have a top-heavy roster with no bench. Haven't we seen that archetype fail all over the league recently?

Not to mention - at 33, that contract will be really, really bad at the end if it's a 5-year max. Really, really bad at Maxey's peak when we should be really good.

A healthy PG is worth a max salary for sure. I'm not so sure he's worth a 5-year max, though, at his age. Much less with his injury history, and even less so given the fact that we have two other max players and have the rest of the roster to fill out. Count me in the camp that hopes we miss out on him. If we do get him - I hope it works out. I just don't like the injury and age-related odds, or the outlook for the rest of the roster with the resulting salary restrictions.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#431 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 4, 2024 10:32 pm

FireMorey wrote:Paul George has been widely reported to be Morey's top target this summer. Just for argument's sake, say the LAC re-sign PG. Who does everyone think becomes Morey's new top target?

Not who you would target if you were him, but who you think he will target if PG is off the board.

Hard to say who would be the top target, but he mentioned a playmaking wing publically during Harden the negotiations.

I would interpret that as someone like Siakam, Ingram, or Butler. PG is probably more appealing to Morey because of his superior 3PA rate and percentages.

I think he likes Mitchell too, but he's obviously more of a guard. Gotta root for Orlando tomorrow to increase our potential market.

I don't think Morey would like Lauri for whatever reason. Maybe he's too young and athletic :lol:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,087

Post#432 » by mihaic » Sat May 4, 2024 10:32 pm

Arsenal wrote:This season was lost long before today unfortunately when Embiid got hurt tanking our seed. Even before we were not "all-in" and this was a transition year after not extending Harden.

So this is what should have been expected. Everything has pointed to this offseason as the key moment when Daryl Morey will turn this team into a real contender.

He has the reigning MVP under contract along with a 2nd star in Maxey with a $13m caphold. Everyone else is a FA and even Paul Reed is non-guaranteed after losing the 1st round.

So, what is the plan? Paul George? Pascal Siakam? Lebron James? Just getting a ton of depth?

My personal feeling is they need that third star and the best fit is Pascal Siakam due to age and position. I've changed my tune on that as just depth around Embiid won't be enough considering how injury prone he is.

If we MAX Siakam, we still have around $25m in cap space left. That should be enough for 2 more starters, preferably 3&D types. Then we can get a 6th man type via the Room Exception. Otherwise use the full $25m on one more better starter.

After that we need vet mins, so hopefully Lowry comes back and we get a couple more decent ones. Maybe Melton comes back on a vet min to keep his bird rights. Maybe RoCo or Batum also. There will be others available and we need to snag a few.

Maxey gets his MAX after all other moves are made.

The team would be thin for a year, but in future years can add more players with MLE and other exceptions.

Lineup:

PG Maxey | Lowry (vet min)
SG Cap Space | Vet min
SF Cap Space | Room Exception
PF Siakam | Vet min
CE Embiid | Vet min

What should be Daryl's plan this summer? It's make or break time for him now...

You guys should go for OG. Siakam is not thatgreat against good defenders, he can be shut down in the final 2-3 minutes by a good defender. He cannot shoot the 3 very well, he clanks open ones.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#433 » by Arsenal » Sat May 4, 2024 10:34 pm

Personally I offer PG the Kyrie contract from Dallas, 3 years $126m which is $42m per year. Still leaves us $20m in cap and the room exception to fill out the roster. Giving him the full max of $50m/yr is a mistake.

If that’s not enough, move onto Plan B.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,101

Post#434 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 10:34 pm

FireMorey wrote:Paul George has been widely reported to be Morey's top target this summer. Just for argument's sake, say the LAC re-sign PG. Who does everyone think becomes Morey's new top target?

I think, as far as free agency, Windhorst said Ingram and Butler.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,618

Post#435 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat May 4, 2024 10:38 pm

I think Morey is going the trade route. Maybe he does like Paul George, but there's something we're not seeing here. The Paul George rumor is low hanging fruit I think.
fkd215
Sophomore
And1: 127

Post#436 » by fkd215 » Sat May 4, 2024 10:47 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I think Morey is going the trade route. Maybe he does like Paul George, but there's something we're not seeing here. The Paul George rumor is low hanging fruit I think.

I agree. I know the narrative is that Morey goes after aging stars, but our own recent experience contradicts that: he didn't offer Harden a max in spite of their reationship and the fact that Harden is the guy Morey made his career on. I think PG stays in LA, and uses these rumors as leverage in his negotiations.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#437 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 4, 2024 10:48 pm

mihaic wrote:
Arsenal wrote:This season was lost long before today unfortunately when Embiid got hurt tanking our seed. Even before we were not "all-in" and this was a transition year after not extending Harden.

So this is what should have been expected. Everything has pointed to this offseason as the key moment when Daryl Morey will turn this team into a real contender.

He has the reigning MVP under contract along with a 2nd star in Maxey with a $13m caphold. Everyone else is a FA and even Paul Reed is non-guaranteed after losing the 1st round.

So, what is the plan? Paul George? Pascal Siakam? Lebron James? Just getting a ton of depth?

My personal feeling is they need that third star and the best fit is Pascal Siakam due to age and position. I've changed my tune on that as just depth around Embiid won't be enough considering how injury prone he is.

If we MAX Siakam, we still have around $25m in cap space left. That should be enough for 2 more starters, preferably 3&D types. Then we can get a 6th man type via the Room Exception. Otherwise use the full $25m on one more better starter.

After that we need vet mins, so hopefully Lowry comes back and we get a couple more decent ones. Maybe Melton comes back on a vet min to keep his bird rights. Maybe RoCo or Batum also. There will be others available and we need to snag a few.

Maxey gets his MAX after all other moves are made.

The team would be thin for a year, but in future years can add more players with MLE and other exceptions.

Lineup:

PG Maxey | Lowry (vet min)
SG Cap Space | Vet min
SF Cap Space | Room Exception
PF Siakam | Vet min
CE Embiid | Vet min

What should be Daryl's plan this summer? It's make or break time for him now...

You guys should go for OG. Siakam is not thatgreat against good defenders, he can be shut down in the final 2-3 minutes by a good defender. He cannot shoot the 3 very well, he clanks open ones.

I would love OG as one of two big forward acquisitions, ala the way Denver has Porter/Gordon. Would be shocked if he leaves New York though.

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
ProcessDoctor
RealGM

Post#438 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 4, 2024 11:00 pm

New plan:

1) Trade four 1sts for Lauri.
2) Steal Anunoby away from New York. Offer him a 4-year, $160 mil deal and see if NYK matches.
3) Re-sign Melton with remaining cap space (1-year, ~$6 mil).
4) Sign Oubre with room exception (~$8 mil).
5) Sign Lowry, Batum (or someone else if he retires), and Drummond to vet min deals.

Maxey/Lowry
Melton/Council
Anunoby/Oubre
Markkanen/Batum
Embiid/Drummond

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,694

Post#439 » by FireMorey » Sat May 4, 2024 11:12 pm

OG isn’t worth close to 40m per season. He’s not even worth 30. I don’t think there’s anything special about him. He’s a solid NBA player, nothing more.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#440 » by stormi » Sat May 4, 2024 11:15 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:New plan:

1) Trade four 1sts for Lauri.
2) Steal Anunoby away from New York. Offer him a 4-year, $160 mil deal and see if NYK matches.
3) Re-sign Melton with remaining cap space (1-year, ~$6 mil).
4) Sign Oubre with room exception (~$8 mil).
5) Sign Lowry, Batum (or someone else if he retires), and Drummond to vet min deals.

Maxey/Lowry
Melton/Council
Anunoby/Oubre
Markkanen/Batum
Embiid/Drummond

Even balancing Embiid load management next season, that's a 60 win team.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers