ImageImageImage

** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,794

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#341 » by 76ciology » Sat May 4, 2024 1:06 am

By the offseason comes, the landscape will change again.

Who knows? Maybe Giannis will be available
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
PhillyFan11
Bench Warmer
And1: 473

Post#342 » by PhillyFan11 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:10 am

With the free agent class being so mediocre and whatever is available likely getting an inflated contract, would it smarter to trade for contracts teams may be looking to get out of?

For instance-
Cam Johnson?
1 of Hunter or Bogdanovic from the Hawks?
Kuzma?

I’m sure there are plenty of others. Just trying to think of creative ways to utilize the cap space.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,554

Post#343 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 1:11 am

76ciology wrote:By the offseason comes, the landscape will change again.

Who knows? Maybe Giannis will be available

Not getting Giannis without Maxey, which is a no go for me. Giannis is an Embiid replacement which could be interesting, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go down that road. Last 2 post seasons Giannis has had his own injury issues, and you know that it'll only get worse on the Sixers and with Nurses high minutes.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,616

Post#344 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat May 4, 2024 1:11 am

phillynative wrote:I'm sick of recycling these old farts. It's time to hit on a young stud to pair with Maxey moving forward.

I agree, but who? Anyone of that description would have to be acquired through a trade. People don't seem to like the names that are available either. Just based on blind speculation I would list Jalen Green, Zaire Williams, AJ Griffin, Tyler Herro, and Cole Anthony are younger players that could be on the move.

Bigger names would be Brandon Ingram, Donovan Mitchell, Lauri, Dejounte Murray could be revisited, Kyle Kuzma, Andrew Wiggins, Jerami Grant, Brogdan, and Jordan Clarkson.

Guys I want no part of;
Zach Lavine, Lebron, Durant (I could be swayed), and Brad Beal.

WE have to decide who is staying and who is going. Do we keep Hield and Oubre? I think we should, but we can't overpay them. Do we keep Lowry and/or Payne? I liked what both of them did for us at times, but Lowry is old and Payne is hit or miss. We also need to upgrade at backup center. Paul Reed is still a nice player, but we need a big man that can start if needed while Reed would be better suited to move to power forward. I think Reed really needs to work on his three this summer and try and transition into the Chris Boucher role that Nurse used in Toronto.

As for free agency, there are some under-the-radar names that I really like. Derrick Jones JR is at the top of that list. He's about to really hit his prime in this league. He's looked really good for Dallas in the playoffs, he's athletic, active, can defend, and can hit an outside shot. There's a lot to work with AND he's from the area. Obviously, we have a lot of cap space, but hopefully, he's part of the equation.

We also have the draft if we don't piss away the pick. The only way I'd be fine trading that pick is if that pick lands us Lauri Markannen or some other big-name player. Then it's worth trading, but otherwise, I'd rather keep it and try to keep adding youth to the roster as Joel gets older and Maxey transitions into young veteran status.
Speaking of youth, Ricky Council is locked in. Is there a bigger role waiting for him next year? There must be. He's another one that needs to lock himself in the gym and do nothing but shoot threes and practice handling the basketball. I've seen him make moves on the floor that are Jaylen Brown-esque. Now I'm not comparing him to Brown, but I think his athleticism is on par with Brown and he's got a place in this league as a wing player.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,114

Post#345 » by mjkvol » Sat May 4, 2024 1:14 am

Between now and next season's trade deadline, there are going to be opportunities beyond what is 'known' right now due to the new cap taking effect. Players we never thought of will be coming available due to teams trying to avoid the tax. There is no reason for Morey to shoot his wad before he has the players or deal he wants, and keeping his powder dry might be the best option in the early going.

As eyeatoma said, if punting this season was all to be able to sign another aging player, this time to a max deal, then Morey really is a fraud.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,794

Post#346 » by 76ciology » Sat May 4, 2024 1:26 am

Shouldn’t we go for fit than names and age instead?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#347 » by Eyeamok » Sat May 4, 2024 2:04 am

76ciology wrote:Shouldn’t we go for fit than names and age instead?

Absolutely. Like I have said in a previous post, we need rebounding. With better defensive rebounding we beat the knicks, we spoke about the two players on the Pacers, that could possibly fill that need. We need a better backup center = Drummond. We need another guard to play with Maxey. I just don't think an off season is going to be enough to get Melton back to where he was.

Love Batum and love Oubre, bring them back. Heild and Lowery I'm on the fence about.

I've been a big Paul Reed supporter but both Doc and Nurse don't think he can play with Embiid. And they see him on a daily basis. If he can't play with Embiid as a PF then what is the purpose? Especially if they get a true back up center.

Names are just that names. The only aging superstar I would entertain is Durant. But what would that cost.

I have faith that Maxey is only going to get better, a reduced role for Embiid where he is more a defensive presence would benefit this team greatly.

I'm excited about this off season. I just don't want this team to blow their cap space on an aging player like PG that only is here because his original team did not want him anymore. Actually I want the Clipper to give long contracts and lots of money to both PG and Harden in the off season. Run it back Clippers run it back.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,941

Post#348 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat May 4, 2024 2:15 am

I loved Jimmy but he's lost a step even before this latest injury.

If we're going old star it has to be lebron or Durant.

Otherwise give me Siakam or Lauri
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,616

Post#349 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat May 4, 2024 2:45 am

Yeah, no to the aging superstar idea. I think we need to keep this simple. Our biggest issue right now is rebounding the basketball. Many of us called this during the regular season. We knew it would be our downfall in the playoffs and it was. The way to improve this roster is to add players that can hit the glass.

Bring back D'Anthony Melton, he's one of the better-rebounding guards in the league. If his injuries are behind him, then it would almost be foolish to not bring him back.

Saddiq Bey, Miles Bridges, John Collins, and Jalen Smith are all viable Tobias Harris replacements. I personally like Jalen Smith the most. He's versatile, he can shoot. Embiid's never had a running mate in the frontcourt like that. Saddiq Bey is one of the better offensive-rebounding forwards in the game. We all know what both Collins and Miles Bridges can do, but they're going to cost.

So yeah, adding players that improve our rebounding issues should be priority one for Daryl Morey. It's painfully obvious what the issue is with this team. I said it last year after the Boston series that we needed to improve our rebounding. Somehow it got even worse this season.

We should remain patient, improve the rebound issues, add youth and athleticism, get a viable backup for Embiid, and run this back.
There's no reason to go chasing after Paul George just to have him play in 45 regular season games. If we're going to sign aging veteran players then we should have just kept James Harden to begin with.

Ideally...For me.
Keep our draft pick
sign,
Kris Dunn
Jalen Smith
Derrick Jones JR,
retain Hield, Melton, and Oubre
sign Drummond on vet min contract
Maybe see if Batum wants to play some more too?

If you want to get ballsy on a swing for the fence type of move, then you look at Miles Bridges. It'd be all sorts of controversy, but that's ultimately between the people following this team and their conscience. John Collins and Saddiq Bey would be the trade options. Throw Dejounte Murray in there as well. WE HAVE OPTIONS. Many of them we can't even see.

Play the trade market and see what we can come up with. Siakam isn't coming here, OG isn't coming here, Paul George is old, so is Derozan, so is Lebron. Durant is nothing more than a mercenary. I would honestly keep it simple in free agency and push hard with the trades.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,101

Post#350 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 2:45 am

phillynative wrote:I'm sick of recycling these old farts. It's time to hit on a young stud to pair with Maxey moving forward.

You convinced me. Let’s go the young stud route.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#351 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 2:52 am

PGs performance in these playoffs. That's a no for me dawg.

Dude is averaging 19.8 ppg on 42 percent shooting while being the #1 option on the team lol.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,101

Post#352 » by sixers hoops » Sat May 4, 2024 3:01 am

youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Young stars that we could get, if the gm wants to trade them:

Lauri/Mikal/DeJounte Murray

Elite assetts we could try and get through trade or free agency

Bruce Brown

Jordan Clarkson

Keldon Johnson

Gary Trent Jr.

Katavious Caldwell Pope

Jonas Valanciunas

Tyus Jones

Malik Monk

Alex Caruso

Nick Claxton

Monte Morris

Patrick Williams

Kyle Anderson

Caleb Martin

Isaiah Hartentstein

Miles Bridges

There is a path to a very good team without selling yourself out to the old and decrepit.

I'm skeptical that they've got the assets to acquire Bridges or Lauri, if they even end up on the market.

You'd rather have Dejounte Murray than Paul George? I wouldn't even if you factor in the out the assets necessary to acquire him.

You'd still have flexibility to add one or two of your listed elite assets. You'd take an upgraded 7th and 8th man over extreme as your 3rd guy?

Shams reported that the Rockets offered Green and multiple firsts to the Nets for Bridges. They could give Brooklyn their 24 and 26 firsts back, and relinquish the swap options in 25 and 27. Also they could send their own picks in 28 and 30. It looks like the price for Mikal would be very high, and rockets have better picks to offer.

I really don’t want Dejounte.

I imagine the price for Lauri will be all of our picks. I think Ainge will want four or five firsts, or he will send him elsewhere. I don’t see a trade happening there, although certainly possible.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#353 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 3:22 am

sixers hoops wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:Young stars that we could get, if the gm wants to trade them:

Lauri/Mikal/DeJounte Murray

Elite assetts we could try and get through trade or free agency

Bruce Brown

Jordan Clarkson

Keldon Johnson

Gary Trent Jr.

Katavious Caldwell Pope

Jonas Valanciunas

Tyus Jones

Malik Monk

Alex Caruso

Nick Claxton

Monte Morris

Patrick Williams

Kyle Anderson

Caleb Martin

Isaiah Hartentstein

Miles Bridges

There is a path to a very good team without selling yourself out to the old and decrepit.

I'm skeptical that they've got the assets to acquire Bridges or Lauri, if they even end up on the market.

You'd rather have Dejounte Murray than Paul George? I wouldn't even if you factor in the out the assets necessary to acquire him.

You'd still have flexibility to add one or two of your listed elite assets. You'd take an upgraded 7th and 8th man over extreme as your 3rd guy?

Shams reported that the Rockets offered Green and multiple firsts to the Nets for Bridges. They could give Brooklyn their 24 and 26 firsts back, and relinquish the swap options in 25 and 27. Also they could send their own picks in 28 and 30. It looks like the price for Mikal would be very high, and rockets have better picks to offer.

I really don’t want Dejounte.

I imagine the price for Lauri will be all of our picks. I think Ainge will want four or five firsts, or he will send him elsewhere. I don’t see a trade happening there, although certainly possible.

Lauri is the perfect fit. 4 or 5 picks is worth it. We'll still have capspace to fill out the roster.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#354 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 3:53 am

End of the game and the Clippers are out...

Paul George's line. 6 for 18, 33.3FG, 2 for 10 from 3, 20%, 11 rebs, 5 assists, 2 stocks, 18 points, -19

Good lord, please don't get him. This team is toast if we blow our wad on him.

Yay he shoots threes and boards. Don't tell me that's why we're getting him. You can get the same thing with Trey Murphy for not even a quarter of the cost.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,535

Post#355 » by elchengue20 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:08 am

Yep, i'm definetively off the PG13 train.

There is for sure other players around that can do the same thing for a fraction of the cost and with more upside.

Please don't sign another toxic contract, we are finally getting out of Sotbias nightmare.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,964

Post#356 » by Mik317 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:37 am

again the idea is that Biid and Maxey's gravity will make it easier for the third guy...especially if they are a willing catch and shoot guy.

Tobias for example needed time and a lot of reps to get going and he simply wasn't good or consistant enough to get those reps especially since they came in the same area Biid operates.

You saw it with Oubre this year. Being lower on the scouting report opens up things. Teams can't take away everything.

Thats the idea is my guess. IDK if that works tho and I feel like you can fill that role with a cheaper option and then fill other roles too
#NeverGonnaBeGood
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#357 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 5:40 am

Mik317 wrote:again the idea is that Biid and Maxey's gravity will make it easier for the third guy...especially if they are a willing catch and shoot guy.

Tobias for example needed time and a lot of reps to get going and he simply wasn't good or consistant enough to get those reps especially since they came in the same area Biid operates.

You saw it with Oubre this year. Being lower on the scouting report opens up things. Teams can't take away everything.

Thats the idea is my guess. IDK if that works tho and I feel like you can fill that role with a cheaper option and then fill other roles too

That is still a big risk for a 34 year old, injury prone player. What happens when Biid goes to the bench. Where is that gravity coming from? Maxey still doesn't have it.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,922

Post#358 » by Wilfried » Sat May 4, 2024 6:08 am

After this play-offs: no to PG13

Get a decent Embiid back-up (Drummond)
Get athleticism at the wing (Jones jr)
Get a defensively strong guard (?)
Take a good look at Markannen but don’t get him at all cost. You’re dealing with Ainge so don’t blink. And don’t forget he can lose Markannen for nothing too next summer
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,964

Post#359 » by Mik317 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:11 am

oh i agree

like i said its the "idea"

although PG should still have some gravity enough to keep the lineup afloat...Harden did with a worse Maxey for example. The Blitz is harder to do when you got to still think about guarding another ballhandler. Teams dared Lowry/Tobias/Whoever to beat them against single coverage...they couldn't or wouldn't even try; any of the potential washed vets would still.

Its risky and I wouldn't do it but I think thats the idea behind it if they do go that route.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#360 » by MVP1992 » Sat May 4, 2024 9:08 am

If you brought in LeBron, what tampering success could he achieve behind the scenes to stack the roster with role players?
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”

Return to Philadelphia 76ers